ADVERTISEMENT

is it me or is top 6A teams weaker than top 5A teams?

Yes Every game is a challenge as most teams will have nothing to lose. Which is why you go all out.
If they struggle in 6a they should have no claim to being the best team in Illinois... 8A is far superior to 6A imo

Does anyone think that 6A will challenge ESL?
I'm not sure about Chatham Glenwood, we will learn more about them this weekend. But Prairie Ridge is an accomplished team/program that has won three 6A state championships in the last eight years and just beat a solid Cary-Grove team by 35 points. They should be able to hang with East St. Louis in a high-scoring game much like Neuqua Valley did earlier this year. Other than those two teams, I don't see anyone in 6A or 5A challenging East St. Louis.

Reactions: Gene K.
I'm not sure about Chatham Glenwood, we will learn more about them this weekend. But Prairie Ridge is an accomplished team/program that has won three 6A state championships in the last eight years and just beat a solid Cary-Grove team by 35 points. They should be able to hang with East St. Louis in a high-scoring game much like Neuqua Valley did earlier this year. Other than those two teams, I don't see anyone in 6A or 5A challenging East St. Louis.

I hope your right. I would hate to see them roll through 5-6A knowing their was tougher competition in the State. It is what it is because I know ESL already petitioned up.

New Soucie projections have Rochester 5A and ESL 6A

Is that based on this week's CPS teams not being able to play? All of this really won't matter in the end, since I see the IHSA backing down on their supposed by-laws if the CPS threatens, whines, etc. If they do back down and allow teams in which really shouldn't be, then the IHSA should be finished as an organization, at least as far as overseeing football is concerned.

Coalertown, I heard the sigh of relief as you typed "Rochester 5A". Unfortunately, I don't see them going 5A if them going 5A is based on the IHSA following its own rules.

Is that based on this week's CPS teams not being able to play? All of this really won't matter in the end, since I see the IHSA backing down on their supposed by-laws if the CPS threatens, whines, etc. If they do back down and allow teams in which really shouldn't be, then the IHSA should be finished as an organization, at least as far as overseeing football is concerned.

Coalertown, I heard the sigh of relief as you typed "Rochester 5A". Unfortunately, I don't see them going 5A if them going 5A is based on the IHSA following its own rules.
Lol yeah it would make 4A easier with them up but 4A North is loaded. It’s a tough run for anyone in the north

Reactions: stl705 and Gene K.
Appreciate the FVC love but I don’t see PR hanging with ESL. CG was exposed as average last week and PR’s drubbing of them was based on pumped up conference rivalry.

My friend how much better really is the WB6 compared to the old NIB12 conference? I have real doubts on the WB6 but you know me hoping the Warriors make a deep run.
It’s not better, I hate it, I loved the NIB 12 but just made the point that 4 schools were twice the enrollment

Not their decision to make, unfortunately. ESL would be in 7A if their conference wouldn't have hog tied them.
Why does their conference do that? And can teams only petition, why do they go to 7a and not 8a? I get the top of classes can be very similar some years.
Which one be the better championship run beating say Naz and Carmel or Loyola and LWE?

Why does their conference do that? And can teams only petition, why do they go to 7a and not 8a? I get the top of classes can be very similar some years.
Which one be the better championship run beating say Naz and Carmel or Loyola and LWE?

All.... The conference is not about to admit it but a big part of that decision was based on the Flyers meeting up again with a conference member in the 7A postseason.. History has shown that has happened but with mixed results. The SWC covered their tracks well though as to not look like they are strictly picking on the Flyers. The rule applies to all sports not just football. Ratsy

7A is a good fit for ESL. It's also a 2 year commit, so not capable of jumping from year to year based on what you think is the best spot for your team.

This year I'd say the run for 7A or 8A is equal. Naz/Carmel or LA/LWE, you are going through a similar meat grinder.

Appreciate the FVC love but I don’t see PR hanging with ESL. CG was exposed as average last week and PR’s drubbing of them was based on pumped up conference rivalry.

Average? maybe Average vs the last couple of years, but I think they are still a top 10 6A school this year. The only thing that was surprising about the game this year was PR's record, losing to Huntley, who lost to Jacobs?

CG will win at least 1-2 games in the playoffs, and then wait until the next couple of years.

Average? maybe Average vs the last couple of years, but I think they are still a top 10 6A school this year. The only thing that was surprising about the game this year was PR's record, losing to Huntley, who lost to Jacobs?

CG will win at least 1-2 games in the playoffs, and then wait until the next couple of years.
We really don’t know how good any of the FVC teams are because they’ve only played teams within the conference.

Reactions: Relist8
Wow!! Average!!! CG could beat almost any 6A team. I know it hurts to watch your team get taken to the woodshed but CG is way better than average.
When a team has many successful years under a regime ( CG PR ) it kind of feels like if you don’t make it to the semi finals or better it’s not a successful season.
I just hope the pairings don’t put these two teams together early. With Simeon out these are probably two of the best three teams from the north bracket.

Wow!! Average!!! CG could beat almost any 6A team. I know it hurts to watch your team get taken to the woodshed but CG is way better than average.
When a team has many successful years under a regime ( CG PR ) it kind of feels like if you don’t make it to the semi finals or better it’s not a successful season.
I just hope the pairings don’t put these two teams together early. With Simeon out these are probably two of the best three teams from the north bracket.
They obviously have a winning record but the FVC aside from Huntley, PR and CG is not competitive. And I’m a CG homer. They are one dimensional this year and PR knew it and shut them down. We’ll see what happens in the playoffs but I’m not holding my breath.

High school football guys! Anything can happen. PR and CG ,since I have been on Edgy, always played well in the playoffs. Neither team is just average from what I have seen. Thought CG would have given them a better game than they did, but neither team will be a pushover (average) team in the playoffs.

It’s not better, I hate it, I loved the NIB 12 but just made the point that 4 schools were twice the enrollment

I’m partial to the old NCIC myself, how do you compare that to NIB12?

On 5A/6A I see ESTL winning either 5A or 6A, but good point from an earlier poster on November IL games. ESL’s biggest strength on offense is the QB dropping back. I personally think the QB is one of best in state, but potentially throwing in snow when you’re used to a warmer climate in STL is an xfactor.

I think there are some good teams in 5A that could compete in 6A.. I don’t see a ton of difference at the top, but im less familiar with the 6A teams.

I think there are some good teams in 5A that could compete in 6A.. I don’t see a ton of difference at the top, but im less familiar with the 6A teams.[/QUOTE]

Trust not much of a warmer climate it gets cold cold and snow here too.

Reactions: mchsalumni
I think there are some good teams in 5A that could compete in 6A.. I don’t see a ton of difference at the top, but im less familiar with the 6A teams.

Trust not much of a warmer climate it gets cold cold and snow here too.[/QUOTE]

I may be exaggerating on above, but still - a trip up to northern IL is 5 hrs and 20-30 degrees :). Again, I think ESL will be just fine, but if there’s any type of advantage against that passing attack, you gotta take it!

Trust not much of a warmer climate it gets cold cold and snow here too.

I may be exaggerating on above, but still - a trip up to northern IL is 5 hrs and 20-30 degrees :). Again, I think ESL will be just fine, but if there’s any type of advantage against that passing attack, you gotta take it![/QUOTE]
It’s def colder up north. No matter how cold it gets in ESL, Chicago is frosty.

All.... The conference is not about to admit it but a big part of that decision was based on the Flyers meeting up again with a conference member in the 7A postseason.. History has shown that has happened but with mixed results. The SWC covered their tracks well though as to not look like they are strictly picking on the Flyers. The rule applies to all sports not just football. Ratsy
Curious, but do any other sports ever petition up except football and occasionally wrestling?

Can we just change the name here to ESL > 6A?

The reality is that there will always be teams that have a year with loaded talent regardless of how big they are. The difference is the bigger schools consistently have more kids to pick from, and, on average, will have better kids year over year.

The one other variable is probably coaching, where some programs can get more out of kids than other programs. So this debate keeps coming up and it's pretty silly. Just enjoy Edgy's Top 25 poll and debate that.

Can we just change the name here to ESL > 6A?

The reality is that there will always be teams that have a year with loaded talent regardless of how big they are. The difference is the bigger schools consistently have more kids to pick from, and, on average, will have better kids year over year.

The one other variable is probably coaching, where some programs can get more out of kids than other programs. So this debate keeps coming up and it's pretty silly. Just enjoy Edgy's Top 25 poll and debate that.

While it may be silly, it is a fun debate for a bunch of old guys who are trying to prove they know more about high school football than the others.

They obviously have a winning record but the FVC aside from Huntley, PR and CG is not competitive. And I’m a CG homer. They are one dimensional this year and PR knew it and shut them down. We’ll see what happens in the playoffs but I’m not holding my breath.
I would compare this year's CG team to last years PR team, young and a year away. I think that you can look at history and say that the top of the FVC is pretty strong. PR was probably discounted because of the loss to Huntley, but they are definitely finding their stride now.

PR 79 CLS 28? Huh? I have much respect for PR as a winning program but they really like to run up scores.

Was listening to the podcast and the last 3 TD’s were scored by the 2nd and 3rd teams. Starting backfield did not play the fourth quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT