F 48-28 Reed-Custer over Manteno

Last edited:
Reed-Custer 48, Manteno 28
Coal City 19, Plano 14
Peotone 19, Wilmington 14
Streator 36, Sandwich 35 OT
Lisle 14, Herscher 3

Thoughts...
Congrats to Lisle on their first conference (division) title in a long time.
R-C looks like they are starting to develop a nice offense
Coal City does enough to stay in the driver's seat in their division, I imagine Skubic still out.
Not so fast on resurgent Sandwich.

What stands out is Wilmo. They haven't missed the playoffs since 1995, and they have still have some tough sledding to get 3 more wins.

While I watched the Illini play decently for three quarters, the I-8 seems to have stabilized itself last night...

Coal City continues the ugly grind, taking over the division lead likely for good by beating Plano...Cooper 2 carries, 22 yards, 2 TD...jezik 38 carries, 138 yards rushing...

Sandwich has gone from a near playoff lock to near sure playoff miss by losing to Streator...with Lisle and Coal City remaining, their playoff points aren't likely going to be high enough with only five wins...

Reed-Custer has a real offense...won 48-28 over Manteno...and Manteno has gone power run (huh?)...Manteno had Wurster 16 carries for 177 yards 2 TD, and Lopez had 80 yards rushing on 2 carries & a TD...Borkenhagen 87 passing, TD...Comets QB Loomis 18-26-297 passing with 3 TD, 22 carries 131 yards TD rushing...Steigers 3 carries for 92 yards & TD...Cherry 9 catches 172 yards 2 TD & 4 carries 11 yards 2 TD rushing...

Lisle 14-3 over Herscher...Tigers Hendrix 7-13-58-Int & 15 carries for 81 yards...Dorsey19 carries - 169 yards, 2 receptions for 17 yards...Congrats to the Lions for winning the small division...

Peotone beats Wilmington in a long possession war...first win over Cats since 2001, first ever at Wilmington...Wilmo takes opening kickoff, 7:21 TD drive...Devils fumble kickoff, hold Cats & block FG try, returning it to Cats 27...24 yard TD pass Gesswin to Brewer missed xp...Brewer 2 yd TD run, 13-7 at half...After half, Wildcats have another 8 minute TD drive to go up 14-13...Peotone later 4th down 27 yard TD pass for 19-14 lead...Peotone ends game with 8:26 drive including 2 4th down conversions...Gesswin 2-3 passing, 51 yards, 2 TD, 8 carries, 29 yards rushing (& both 4th down conversions...)

While I watched the Illini play decently for three quarters, the I-8 seems to have stabilized itself last night...

Coal City continues the ugly grind, taking over the division lead likely for good by beating Plano...Cooper 2 carries, 22 yards, 2 TD...jezik 38 carries, 138 yards rushing...

Sandwich has gone from a near playoff lock to near sure playoff miss by losing to Streator...with Lisle and Coal City remaining, their playoff points aren't likely going to be high enough with only five wins...

Reed-Custer has a real offense...won 48-28 over Manteno...and Manteno has gone power run (huh?)...Manteno had Wurster 16 carries for 177 yards 2 TD, and Lopez had 80 yards rushing on 2 carries & a TD...Borkenhagen 87 passing, TD...Comets QB Loomis 18-26-297 passing with 3 TD, 22 carries 131 yards TD rushing...Steigers 3 carries for 92 yards & TD...Cherry 9 catches 172 yards 2 TD & 4 carries 11 yards 2 TD rushing...

Lisle 14-3 over Herscher...Tigers Hendrix 7-13-58-Int & 15 carries for 81 yards...Dorsey19 carries - 169 yards, 2 receptions for 17 yards...Congrats to the Lions for winning the small division...

Peotone beats Wilmington in a long possession war...first win over Cats since 2001, first ever at Wilmington...Wilmo takes opening kickoff, 7:21 TD drive...Devils fumble kickoff, hold Cats & block FG try, returning it to Cats 27...24 yard TD pass Gesswin to Brewer missed xp...Brewer 2 yd TD run, 13-7 at half...After half, Wildcats have another 8 minute TD drive to go up 14-13...Peotone later 4th down 27 yard TD pass for 19-14 lead...Peotone ends game with 8:26 drive including 2 4th down conversions...Gesswin 2-3 passing, 51 yards, 2 TD, 8 carries, 29 yards rushing (& both 4th down conversions...)
Peotone beat Wilmington in '98 at their place, although we probably shouldn't have. ;)

I saw that quote. I thought the ‘98 game was at Wilmo because my senior year game was at Wilmington in 94.
Only thing I could think of was I wasn’t sure when they joined the league and it might have thrown off the alternating host thing...

CC didn't look all that impressive in their win against Plano. Skubic and Pullara were out injured. Arias was playing hurt so they kept him off offense. Starting guard Elrod was out with concussion. Good news was got 3 year starter Mcmurtrey back on the line. Hopefully CC can get Skubic and Pullara back next week. They are a much better offense with those 2 in the mix. Plano played good, Coker kid is a bull. They seem to be getting better by the week. It will be interesting to see if they can pull some big wins and make a run for the playoffs

Reactions: Gene K.
Surprised at Wilmo's record thus far. It has been awhile since they have struggled this much. I have only made it to the CC game this year so it's hard for me to get a grasp on why they are struggling so much. Like I said in a previous post, with an all state RB like Dempsey its hard to imagine them not being good. The years they were bad in the past they lacked that explosive type of player. Maybe the rest of the I8 is just that tough.

Interesting CalPreps projections after Wee 5

Large
CC 8-1
Plano 4-5
Streator 3-6
Sandwich 3-6
Manteno 0-9

Small
Lisle 8-1
Peotone 7-2
Herscher 6-3
RC 4-5
Wilmington 3-6

Reactions: Gene K.
Soucie has Wilmington as an 8 seed right now...that would take sweeping the last 4 games...

Soucie does not have Herscher in...not even 5 win missing playoffs...

Peotone & Wilmo each have Herscher, Plano & Streator left; Wilmo's other is RC, Peotone's other is Manteno...Soucie apparently sees them both running the table...

Herscher has Wilmo, Peotone, Plano & Manteno left...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT