ADVERTISEMENT

ICE week 7

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
Entering the final third of the season. The picture is starting to become more clear for most of the teams. This is probably the biggest week to date for the ICE. The conference championship, a playoff spot (assuming no 4-win team from the ICE makes it in), and the bottom of the pack dishonor are all on the line.

Reed Custer (2-4) @ Manteno (3-3) - YUUUUUGE playoff implications here for RC! If they win here I imagine they will get to 5 wins. Manteno doesn't have a good enough squad to upset Wilmo or CC in the last two weeks , so this is make or break for the Comets. Manteno could put a little heat on this game, but I do think RC has a little more talent. Also let's be honest Manteno has only beaten the worst teams in the ICE, even though their record is one win better than RC. I think it's a tough game, but RC can pull this off. RC 35 Manteno 24

Wilmington (5-1) @ Coal City (5-1) - GOTW! Conference championship on the line. Both teams slipped in Week 1 against tough opponents, but both teams have been rolling since. Reents should have the Cats primed up ready to go, but it won't be easy. Wilmo in a grinding, controlling win. Wilmo 28 CC 17

Herscher (1-5) @ Lisle (1-5) - Bottom of the conference is on the line. I am solely basing this off of each teams performance against Streator. Herscher beat them and Lisle lost. In fact Lisle lost pretty big to them. The long drive isn't enough to hold back the Tigers. Herscher 42 Lisle 28

Peotone (3-3) @ Streator (2-4) - Peotone will use this game to start their coast to the playoffs. I don't think Streator puts up much of a fight. Streator has the two wins, but they aren't much to right home about. Peotone controls here. 'Tone 49 Streator 18

RC over Manteno

Herscher over Lisle

Peotone over Streator

Wilmington over CC

Reed Custer (2-4) @ Manteno (3-3) - The Comets have been through the meat grinder and know they need to win out. RC 40 Manteno 27

Wilmington (5-1) @ Coal City (5-1) - I was leaning Wildcats until I saw Morris on Friday night. Both teams are tuned up and playing well, so I'm giving the home team the edge in this slugfest. CC 20 Wilmington 14

Herscher (1-5) @ Lisle (1-5) - The Lions just seem to be in no mans land right now. Herscher 27 Lisle 13

Peotone (3-3) @ Streator (2-4) - The Devils are making a run at a playoff birth and go get this one no problem. Peotone 35 Streator 6.

Herscher over Lisle by a couple scores. Herscher still appears to be a long way from being good again, but the Lions unfortunately have seemingly fallen off a cliff.

Peotone over Streator comfortably. ‘Tone should own the LOS and Streator shouldn’t be able to stop them.

R-C over Manteno. All signs point to a shootout here. RC played pretty solid 1st halves against both Wilmo and CC. Manteno has looked better as the season has progressed, but has feasted on the bottom dwellers. I wouldn’t be shocked if Manteno won, but I’ll go with the Comets.

Wilmo over CC. Should be a close slobber knocker. I can’t pick against the Cats, but this should go down to the 4th quarter. CC has a little more balance, and their QB has Wilmo ties. Wilmo hasn’t needed balance much, but CC might be stout enough up front that Wilmo might try a few shots to loosen things up. Maybe.

Reed Custer (2-4) @ Manteno (3-3) - Not going to lie. Braidwood put up a good first half fight against the Coalers. Tone whipped Manteno from the get go. I think Manteno will have a little more fight here but Braidwood needs this one and is the better team. Comets 40 Panthers 28

Herscher (1-5) @ Lisle (1-5) - Neither of these teams have playoffs in mind but want to bump up the win total. A thin Lisle team has some key injuries and Herscher needs a win to build on. I like Herscher. Tigers 28 Lisle 13

Peotone (3-3) @ Streator (2-4) - Tone needed a get right game last week and got it. Streator is ready for hoops season. Lopsided win here Blue Devils 56 Bulldogs 27

Wilmington (5-1) @ Coal City (5-1) - GOTW! No holds barred Championship belt match here. Winner cruises to the ICE title. Both teams lost week 1 to really good teams. Seneca will win a playoff game or two and Morris is a top 3 4A team. Glad this game is not in Reentsville, no motorcycles, no woods and no win for the guys in purple here. CC defense holds court here. Coalers 21 Cats 14

I've never been good at predicting scores so I'll just give my projected winners and thoughts..

REED CUSTER @ MANTENO
For all practical purposes a win by Manteno with Wilmington and Coal City awaiting them will probably be their last W. RC obviously needs to this game to keep post season hopes alive with Streator and Lisle left which they should win. While the Comets have scored a lot of points, they have given up a bunch including 70 points between CC and Wilmo. The Panthers narrowly beat Herscher and were thumped by rival Peotone last week. I think REED CUSTER gets the win here and keeps their playoff hopes alive.

HERSCHER @ LISLE
Both teams have struggled and want to finish the season on a pisitive note. The Tigers defeated Streator a few weeks ago and were taken to the wood shed by Wilmington last week at home. Lisle has given up a ton of points and last weeks loss to Streator was the first time they scored more than once in a game. With all the injuries Lisle has and low numbers it doesn't look good and I see HERSCHER rolling in this game and it'll be a happy long bus ride back home.

PEOTONE @ STREATOR
Both teams got off to a good start with the Blue Devils rolling over winless Rantoul and Streator handling East Proria then ran into teams from the KR/I-8 (Sandwich and Ottawa) and it didn't end well. Both need the W to stay alive and Peotone with a 3-3 record and games with Lisle and Herscher are in a much better position than 3-4 Streator who are looking at RC and Wilmo down the road. I'm going with PEOTONE in this game.

WILMINGTON @ COAL CITY
THIS is probably the top small school game in the state Friday night with all due respect to other great small school games around the Land of Lincoln this week the dynamics are there for what should be an game of thrills, chills and suspense and although both schools have great respect for one another these towns don't like each other very much. Statistically this is about as even as it gets with CC having scored 223 pts and gave given up 69 , 43 were to Mor.ris who is tearing thriugh their schedule right now. Wilmington has put up 219 for and look at this 69 against! A 27-21 loss to Seneca in week 1 was the most they've given up in a game so far and have averaged 5 TDs a game. Outside of the Morris game, the Coalers have not given up more than 1 TD in any other game. Both beat Reed Custer (CC 35-6, Wilmo 35-14)

I don't see an offensive explosion by either team in this game and as we've seen in the past the outcome could be decided by a few points.. These kids all know each other and have been competing against one another since they were grade school age in just about everything.. In the last 20 seasons except for two seasons where the teams were in seperate divisions of the I-8 and didn't play, the Wildcats have gone 12-6 in these games many of which were a 7 to 10 point difference.. I think this is the season that COAL CITY gets the W at home in what will most likely be a game where turnovers and special teams could be a huge factor when it's all said and done. If you love small school, hard hitting football, then this is the place to be Friday and I guarantee you, that place will be rocking!

Reactions: doctor_d
Reed-Custer @ Manteno - both teams could use this win but only RC needs to win this game. Manteno game against Peotone was over before it even started and RC has helps its own in the first half against Wilmington and Coal City. I fully expect a shootout and which ever defense is able to get a few stops will win the game. RC 47 Manteno 43

Herscher @ Lisle - both reams are probably ready for the season to be over. Sad to see these programs which were solid just a few years ago drop but we all know it won’t last for long. In a few years both teams will be back in contention. Lisle 24 Herscher 12

Peotone @ Streator - the Devils got back on the right track last week and Streator got another W. If history has proven anything it’s that Streator does not fare well against power run teams. Peotone scores early and often but is able to make a few plays with their athleticism. Peotone 38 Streator 24

Wilmington @ Coal City - as always this is the game of the year in the conference and both teams are coming in on fire and eager to improve their seed for the playoffs. Both teams are very familiar with each other and have a similar style of play. Small school football at its finest. Wilmington 24 Coal City 16.

Not ICE related but in my parts looks like some potential matchups could happen in the playoffs. Tri Valley should finish undefeated with a low number of playoff points so a matchup with Wilmington, one loss lots of points, team could happen 2nd round. If Eureka can find a way to 6-3 and Peotone does as well, a good 8/9 matchup could happen in 3A. Bloomington Central Catholic is dominating their conference and are likely a 2A north team but may drop to 1A. The rest of the IPC is solid but Prairie Central, Monticello, and Unity arent what they have been but could make some no noise as could SJO, who will be a solid 3A playoff team but could drop to 2A. Maroa is probably the 2A favorite and have played a few close games but they are heads and tails ahead of the rest of their conference. Williamsville, Athens, and Olympia have chances getting to the quarters depending on their draws.

Reactions: MIKEFTB
Reed-Custer @ Manteno - both teams could use this win but only RC needs to win this game. Manteno game against Peotone was over before it even started and RC has helps its own in the first half against Wilmington and Coal City. I fully expect a shootout and which ever defense is able to get a few stops will win the game. RC 47 Manteno 43

Herscher @ Lisle - both reams are probably ready for the season to be over. Sad to see these programs which were solid just a few years ago drop but we all know it won’t last for long. In a few years both teams will be back in contention. Lisle 24 Herscher 12

Peotone @ Streator - the Devils got back on the right track last week and Streator got another W. If history has proven anything it’s that Streator does not fare well against power run teams. Peotone scores early and often but is able to make a few plays with their athleticism. Peotone 38 Streator 24

Wilmington @ Coal City - as always this is the game of the year in the conference and both teams are coming in on fire and eager to improve their seed for the playoffs. Both teams are very familiar with each other and have a similar style of play. Small school football at its finest. Wilmington 24 Coal City 16.

Not ICE related but in my parts looks like some potential matchups could happen in the playoffs. Tri Valley should finish undefeated with a low number of playoff points so a matchup with Wilmington, one loss lots of points, team could happen 2nd round. If Eureka can find a way to 6-3 and Peotone does as well, a good 8/9 matchup could happen in 3A. Bloomington Central Catholic is dominating their conference and are likely a 2A north team but may drop to 1A. The rest of the IPC is solid but Prairie Central, Monticello, and Unity arent what they have been but could make some no noise as could SJO, who will be a solid 3A playoff team but could drop to 2A. Maroa is probably the 2A favorite and have played a few close games but they are heads and tails ahead of the rest of their conference. Williamsville, Athens, and Olympia have chances getting to the quarters depending on their draws.
I have a question since you're familiar with football down that way .What in the natural world has happened to Pontiac football? A program that was once a major player in state title contentionus now not just getting beat .. but beat by teams handily. Do they have a numbers issue there now or is it just a program that has been in decline? Thanks.

Mick Peterson retired. His DC took over and they were still good for a few years until he retired. Since then, it's been the downward spiral. IDK what their numbers look like now. Mick was one heck of a coach and built a great program. I believe he was from Morris.

Reactions: MIKEFTB
Mick Peterson retired. His DC took over and they were still good for a few years until he retired. Since then, it's been the downward spiral. IDK what their numbers look like now. Mick was one heck of a coach and built a great program. I believe he was from Morris.
From what I hear this is pretty much the issue and being in the IPC doesn't help either. Lots of travel with really good teams. Not that it is that different from the old Corn Belt but they had a great coach going up against Mahomet, Normal Uni, BCC, and Prairie Central. Now add Unity, SJO, and Monticello to BCC and Prairie Central and you have a pretty tough schedule week to week.

They have had a few good years and the game that opened my eyes to the Interstate 8/ICE was they lost to Peotone in the 1st round several years ago and the program has not been the same since. This was when I started paying closer attention to the I8/ICE because a 3 loss team 40+ pointed a pretty solid team from what I thought was a tougher conference.

Reactions: McEvergreen
Yes..Mick is a Morris guy.

From what I hear this is pretty much the issue and being in the IPC doesn't help either. Lots of travel with really good teams. Not that it is that different from the old Corn Belt but they had a great coach going up against Mahomet, Normal Uni, BCC, and Prairie Central. Now add Unity, SJO, and Monticello to BCC and Prairie Central and you have a pretty tough schedule week to week.

They have had a few good years and the game that opened my eyes to the Interstate 8/ICE was they lost to Peotone in the 1st round several years ago and the program has not been the same since. This was when I started paying closer attention to the I8/ICE because a 3 loss team 40+ pointed a pretty solid team from what I thought was a tougher conference.
Thank you. Well the last solid team Pontiac had was in '18 when they finished 8-1 in the conference their only loss to Monticello and believe it or not BCC was 0-9. The Indians beat Herrin in the first round and then were thumped by eventual state champs Rochester.

Since then it's been a downward spiral that has seem way more losses than wins . The last two seasons were 1-8 finishes and it appears this could be a third straight 1 win campaign thanks to Rantoul. It's just amazing the direction this program has taken. I have no doubt with some of the teams in this conference it's tough but they were always competitive with PC and BCC. However joining a conference with SJO, Tolono, and Monticello is a huge step up in competition. Too bad the Corn Belt was a great conference

Just out of curiosity are there kids in Pontiac that attend BCC? I think the two schools are only about a little over 30 miles apart.

Wilmo was super impressive last night. Their defense just manhandled the line of scrimmage. And their offense did what it does and grinds you to death. Not the kind of performance CC wanted with the playoffs lurking. They need to right the ship.

Braidwood shot them selves in the foot last night. Looks like 3 ICE teams will go to the post season

A win like that makes me feel more positive about the postseason.
Even with the week 1 loss, I’ve thought that they looked a click or two better this year compared to last.
Although R-C losing their projected slot could be a factor to push the Cats into 3A.

Was literally on the fence watching CC warm up. Surprised at their lack of enthusiasm and just jogging thru their reps. Absolutely no vibe whatsoever. I really didn't expect that from such a quality program in a big game not to mention the huge rivalry.

Then, CC came out in a 4-4 defense :oops::eek: My first time seeing them this year, so IDK if that's been the scheme all season??? but it was the worst thing they could have down vs the Cats bread n butter.. the power off tackle scrum right/scrum left. I thought maybe they would throw in some stunts or zone blitzes to mix things up, but nothing. Just played it straight and got pummeled up front. To make matters worse, the Cats D smothered the CC offense before it could even get started. Their run game had trouble just getting back to the LOS. I left right after 21-0 and headed up to Minooka to watch the second half of the PN game.

Hat's off to Wilmington and congrats on another ICE title! Reents had his kids ready to play and they came in and took care of business. It looked like, sounded like and smelled like Wildcat Football. They will be a force in 2A and definitely make some noise in 3A depending on where they land.

Yeah I was very (pleasantly) surprised at how that game played out. Never in 100 years would’ve thought CC wouldn’t even get a first down and get pushed off the line all night. Sometimes homecoming week is weird I guess. CC was just off. They will flush it and forget it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT