ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting PR Stat

lkhammer57

Jul 16, 2014
I know that PR currently holds the longest winning streak in the state, but even more impressive than that is over the past 3 seasons PR is 38-2, with 2 state appearances and three state semifinal appearances. I know this senior class is a HUGE part in that, since they have multiple players that are 3 and 4 year starters. Congrats to the players and coaches on that feat and I am excited to watch and see if they can make it 39 wins in 3 years, a very impressive feat.

Prairie Ridge is the greatest option team in the history of Illinois high school football.

Carmel Catholic installed the TO in the fall of 1999 at the lower levels. By the time the system was fully saturated and absorbed, the Corsairs had a stretch where they went 38-3, semifinal appearance, quarterfinal appearance, state championship. The trigger for that 'run' was a group that had a very high ceiling, and the combination of two talented classes back-to-back. The number of Corsairs from that group that went on to play college football was in the high 20's - Illinois, Minnesota, Central Michigan, EIU, NIU, University of Chicago, Georgetown, Penn, Augustana, Northwoods and so on.

I once called them the greatest option team in the history of Illinois high school football.

I'm interested to see just how good PR will be in the near term once this varsity group exits HS.

Cmon now. Are you not familiar with Mt Carmel?

MC has been great running the option but they have never had a team that can scores points like PR, the only other option team that raked up points like they do was Carmel around ‘03 or ‘04. It’s really tough to be an expolsive offense running the option like PR does but it really starts with the OB.

MC has been great running the option but they have never had a team that can scores points like PR, the only other option team that raked up points like they do was Carmel around ‘03 or ‘04. It’s really tough to be an expolsive offense running the option like PR does but it really starts with the OB.
I think you also have to look at who these teams are playing. PR is explosive I'll give you that. But their schedule is nowhere near MC.

2003 Carmel Catholic scored 600 total points. Many games they had their 2nd team offense/defense in for the entire second half.

The offensive production of this PR group has been over-the-top impressive.

Reactions: ClownBaby
2003 Carmel Catholic scored 600 total points. Many games they had their 2nd team offense/defense in for the entire second half.

The offensive production of this PR group has been over-the-top impressive.

And yet the architect of that offense and state championship was run out of the program. I guess this falls under the category of what have you done for me lately not what have you done.

The overall quality of defense has fallen in the Catholic Blue in recent years as their enrollments have declined. Meanwhile, the Fox Valley schools have grown rapidly with Huntley up around 3,000 today and Jacobs twiice as big as it was 20 years ago. The level of defense has improved significantly. Also, the CCL-Blue is only a 5 team conference with 4 games; Mount Carmel had soft games with Taft, Lane and DePaul this year in order to fill out its schedule.

i saw Mount Carmel struggle to score 7 points against Lake Zurich and then drove over to Hoffman to see Prairie Ridge file up 440 yards rushing and 42 points on a good Hoffman defense with a D-1 linebacker. Absolutely no comparison this year; Prairie Ridge is vastly superior to Mount Carmel.

The overall quality of defense has fallen in the Catholic Blue in recent years as their enrollments have declined. Meanwhile, the Fox Valley schools have grown rapidly with Huntley up around 3,000 today and Jacobs twiice as big as it was 20 years ago. The level of defense has improved significantly.

Loyola 24, Huntley 0 in a 2016 8A quarterfinal game at Huntley
Providence 31, Cary Grove 28 in the 2014 7A title game.

You were saying?

Last edited:
What you should have said is "Samson Evans is one of the best option quarterbacks in IHSA history".
How good was Jordan Lynch at MC? I mean, yeah I know as a senior at NIU he only threw for 2,900 and ran for another 1,900 and there was that Heisman finalist thing. But, I don't remember him being that huge a star in HS. I think they got knocked out by Hinsdale C. that year. Still got to think he is in the discussion for best option QB's

i saw Mount Carmel struggle to score 7 points against Lake Zurich and then drove over to Hoffman to see Prairie Ridge file up 440 yards rushing and 42 points on a good Hoffman defense with a D-1 linebacker. Absolutely no comparison this year; Prairie Ridge is vastly superior to Mount Carmel.

No one said this year's Mt Carmel was the best .....the poster said the greatest in the history of Illinois high school football.

The overall quality of defense has fallen in the Catholic Blue in recent years as their enrollments have declined. Meanwhile, the Fox Valley schools have grown rapidly with Huntley up around 3,000 today and Jacobs twiice as big as it was 20 years ago. The level of defense has improved significantly. Also, the CCL-Blue is only a 5 team conference with 4 games; Mount Carmel had soft games with Taft, Lane and DePaul this year in order to fill out its schedule.
Where I understand some of the points you have, but other than last year how many times have there been multiple teams deep in the playoffs for the FVC? I mean I believe you can count the amount of state championships the FVC has won all time on barely two hands, and they compete at a lower competition in 6a, even tho 6a was very good this year. Here are the state champs from the FVC: Hampshire won in the 70s, Woodstock twice in 83 and 97, CG in 09, PR in 11 and 16. The conference is starting to hit a stride it seems but it still has a long way to go to be compared legit with the CCL blue (who had 3 of 5 teams in the semis this year). I also don't have time to count the amount of state championships the Blue has but it more than 6.

I also believe they were referencing old Mount Carmel teams, not this years team. This years team doesnt even come close to the 14 other teams, I believe, who won state

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Realize that PR has not been around for a long time (in the big picture). I believe this is their 20 year Anniversary. The key to their run has been the Jr. Wolves feeder program and the unheard of consistency of their coaching staff. Chris Schremp has been there literally since day 1.

Realize that PR has not been around for a long time (in the big picture). I believe this is their 20 year Anniversary. The key to their run has been the Jr. Wolves feeder program and the unheard of consistency of their coaching staff. Chris Schremp has been there literally since day 1.
No doubt Schremp must doing something right, you could argue that he is the best coach the FVC has ever seen with the success he has had. I know when talking to FVC people that names like Bradshaw from Woodstock, Kay from CG, and Noll from McHenry come up as the best coaches the conference has ever seen, and Schremp has already won more championships than each of those men. I will be very interested to see what will happen in the coming years once this dominant class has graduated.

No one said this year's Mt Carmel was the best .....the poster said the greatest in the history of Illinois high school football.
Exactly the POINT I was trying to make!

PR has had a very very nice run the last few years. However, it's been the last few years. Mt. Carmel has been doing it for decades. As a former player at a school with tradition, it drives me nuts when teams have a good stretch and think they need to be in the conversation about best of anything. Listen, they created the multiplier rule a few years back and had three schools in mind. JCA, Providence, and Mt Carmel. This notion that PR is the best ever at anything in this state is ridiculous. They literally tried to punish three teams for being good and they still won rings. So let me know when a PR rule gets enacted and maybe we will talk about best ever and doing anything.

PR has had a very very nice run the last few years. However, it's been the last few years. Mt. Carmel has been doing it for decades. As a former player at a school with tradition, it drives me nuts when teams have a good stretch and think they need to be in the conversation about best of anything. Listen, they created the multiplier rule a few years back and had three schools in mind. JCA, Providence, and Mt Carmel. This notion that PR is the best ever at anything in this state is ridiculous. They literally tried to punish three teams for being good and they still won rings. So let me know when a PR rule gets enacted and maybe we will talk about best ever and doing anything.
nm

Prairie Ridge is the greatest option team in the history of Illinois high school football.
Lets re-phrase for sake of argument.

Prairie Ridge's performance over the last two years is the best two year run of any option team in the history of Illinois high school football (assuming they don't get wacked by Naz Sat.). This would include overall record, points scored, points against, offense and defense stats, etc.

You said all time. Now you are backing off that statement.

PR has a great offense. I would put them up there with the best. But did you see Mt. Carmel, Carmel, JCA or Belvidere play and run their option offense when they won state titles? I did. Trust me, the competition those schools played was way better than what PR has played this year.

Reactions: ramblinman
You said all time. Now you are backing off that statement.

PR has a great offense. I would put them up there with the best. But did you see Mt. Carmel, Carmel, JCA or Belvidere play and run their option offense when they won state titles? I did. Trust me, the competition those schools played was way better than what PR has played this year.

The competition back them was much better but in fairness to PR in the last two years when they have have had showcase games against top tier programs/ teams like Montini and SHG they have stomped them, on Saturday they get another shot at a high quality team. You can only play whose on the schedule and with their conference set up they are even more limited then most teams.

Reactions: flymiko
The competition back them was much better but in fairness to PR in the last two years when they have have had showcase games against top tier programs/ teams like Montini and SHG they have stomped them, on Saturday they get another shot at a high quality team. You can only play whose on the schedule and with their conference set up they are even more limited then most teams.

Yes, last year PR stomped Montini and SHG. The year before that, Montini knocked PR out of the playoffs in the semis.

I was just about to respond to the post that you deleted. Without getting into too much detail, the multiplier took effect in 2005. I think you should have checked out the chronology of state finalists whose link can be found on this page http://ihsa.org/SportsActivities/BoysFootball/RecordsHistory.aspx before making some of the claims you did.

State Championship Wrestling, between 2000-2005 also played a factor in the implementation of the multiplier

https://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivities/BoysWrestling/RecordsHistory.aspx

Reactions: Wassup13
On a late TD in an epic snow storm.

Montini was fortunate that it wasn't snowing when Montini had the ball on offense.

images

It was a classic scene at Halftime with a bunch of the Montini alumni on the field with shovels and a tractor trying to clear the field.

Reactions: Wolffan64
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT