ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Herald Article: Transfers

And letting a transfer in to play in front of a kid who follows the rules is punishing that kid.

How is that punishing a kid? All playing time is earned not given. Are you saying that ALL Freshman (40 plus) play as seniors on Varsity? I have never seen that happen. Also, just because a kid transfers doesn't guarantee he will play. Team chemistry is very important to winning. This has been proven some many times.

That is still punishing kids who have no control over their situation. Some do but, most don't.
This is true but I’m wondering how many of these uncontrollable situations would actually occur if this was put into place? How many unavoidable moves...new jobs....marriage seperations....financial hardships would occur?

You used to have to sit out an entire season, regular and post, then loop holes were found and people starting jumping through them and the hole got bigger.

I know this bloodied horse has been beaten to death, and I see the points of both sides, but my view is if a penalty is put into place then you will see less and less shady transfers happeneing.

Reactions: ignazio
This is true but I’m wondering how many of these uncontrollable situations would actually occur if this was put into place? How many unavoidable moves...new jobs....marriage seperations....financial hardships would occur?

You used to have to sit out an entire season, regular and post, then loop holes were found and people starting jumping through them and the hole got bigger.

I know this bloodied horse has been beaten to death, and I see the points of both sides, but my view is if a penalty is put into place then you will see less and less shady transfers happeneing.

I would be curious to see how many students transfer every year. What is the percentage of total transfers compared to "athletic" transfers. I will also say that I have never seen a team win a championship based on transfers in football. I don't know why there is so much energy put into this topic. Everyone talked about the super team based on transfers at NC and yet they are sitting at 2-4. I hear scheduled mention a lot however LWE and maybe the ohio school based on travel are the only two teams that the odds were stacked against them.

Makes me appreciate even more the drubbing 6A CG put on 8A NC last season. Homegrown kids going through the system and winning with very few going on to the next level.
Where are they originally from though? Shouldn't they play for the country of their ancestors before they transferred to the US?

Reactions: Irish LB
Where are they originally from though? Shouldn't they play for the country of their ancestors before they transferred to the US?
No kids are transferring to CG with hopes of getting a better look by college coaches.

Here is the bottom line...the entire transfer AAU ball mentality is here to stay. Kids and parents want to get a leg up (whether it works or not is another issue) no matter the circumstances and if that means moving, lying, cheating stealing etc they will do it. Without blinking.

IHSA has very little if any power as Schmitty eluded to in his column..and the moment IHSA tries to put in any sort of rule/penalty a lawsuit will be filed and the rule will be thrown out.

Welcome to the future of IHSA football kids.

I realize the IHSA does not have the resources to verify all of these "moves," but in the NC case there are so many that where there is smoke there is fire. How hard would it be to send a rep up from Bloomington and to go to each of the houses of the transfers to see if they actually live where they say they live? Catch some of these high profile cases and it my slow down the transfer train.

How is that punishing a kid? All playing time is earned not given. Are you saying that ALL Freshman (40 plus) play as seniors on Varsity? I have never seen that happen. Also, just because a kid transfers doesn't guarantee he will play. Team chemistry is very important to winning. This has been proven some many times.

History lesson: when the Bolingbrook girls basketball team transferred to HF, who was it that blew the whistle on the scheme?

History lesson: when the Bolingbrook girls basketball team transferred to HF, who was it that blew the whistle on the scheme?
Which is funny because the girls basketball coach at OE use to complain that the Brook was taking all his players.

That’s an extreme situation and not relevant to 22 positions on a football field.

Reactions: Gene K.
I realize the IHSA does not have the resources to verify all of these "moves," but in the NC case there are so many that where there is smoke there is fire. How hard would it be to send a rep up from Bloomington and to go to each of the houses of the transfers to see if they actually live where they say they live? Catch some of these high profile cases and it my slow down the transfer train.
The IHSA has one, I repeat one, guy who investigates transfers. How the hell is he supposed to investigate each one?

Reactions: Cross Bones
The schools are supposed to make sure everyone in the school is abiding by the rules. If a family moves into a district why punish them?

I understand both sides of the argument:
Legit transfers, jobs change now more than ever for people, divorce, heck-just financial decisions to move to less taxed counties.
Preference transfers, i want to play for coach x or program x.

Where I grew up, had I lived 1 block south, I could have been a State champion at Oswego in 1992. Instead, i proudly played the game I loved, and still love at a below average program at that time, but still carry great memories of both successes and some failure. I played for 3 different varsity coaches in 3 years, Tim Cedarblad (thanks for taking a shot on a sophmore), Bob Williams and Ira Jefferson aka Coach J. I learned a lot from these men. I wanted to play D1, that was my dream. Instead I played D3. Guess what, I loved all 5 years. Now I look around at what other parents do and wonder why waste my time worrying and judging them. Worry about my kids, try to do whats best and right by them. We're all crazy to a certain extent and want whats best for our kids. I get that. Growing up, football wasnt even offered before 7th grade. Guess what, at some point in life you learn the grass isn't always greener. It's unthinkable for me to move so my kids can go "somewhere better". In a world that touts, "all gas, no brakes" and "doesn't matter, get better" I just try to model it myself, rather than worry about what people next door are doing.

I apologize if I offend anyone, I want to see my local program as strong as possible, for me, I lose enjoyment by worrying about the transfers. My coworkers son plays at NC. I feel bad for he and his son. They didn't ask for transfers to come there. I have another coworkers son who plays at WN, they didnt want to see kids leave. Theres also such a thing as Karma, which can apply in both these cases from my limited perspective. Both kids are learning a valuable lesson, and thats really what HS sports is all about.

Here is the bottom line...the entire transfer AAU ball mentality is here to stay. Kids and parents want to get a leg up (whether it works or not is another issue) no matter the circumstances and if that means moving, lying, cheating stealing etc they will do it. Without blinking.

Isn’t this the reason why those celebrities are going to jail in the college admissions scandal nationwide? A leg up for their kids by any means? Just because it’s hard to police doesn’t mean we need to put up with it.

The way to get them won’t be through sports. Those parents are committing fraud by having property tax payers in a district they don’t live in pay for their kids education by going to a school district they are not paying taxes into.

Eh, it doesn’t matter much to me. I feel good that our school puts in the hard work and it pays dividends. A couple state titles and lifelong memories for the kids that played in the program. What more can you ask for? If parents want to cart their kids around for a better look then go for it. Doesn’t guarantee they’ll be on a championship team and maybe they’ll get some looks from college. Going to college to play ball does guarantee you’ll play ball.

This state is huge...wasting money to investigate a.couple kids in Chicagoland or wherever? Districts need to verify residency, IHSA relies on whistleblowers & self reporting

Like Jackie Robinson West Little League going that far only to find out many of the kids did not live close to the little league.Huge Wheaton North had 3 kids transfer to little Wheaton Academy who is only 3-3 and those losses were blowouts!!!! So no help there.Wheaton Academy in fact may not make the playoffs

Reactions: LHSTigers94

It’s true. The rules are way too lax and implementing something like this would go a long way to nipping any nefarious or suspicious transfers in the bud.

Oh look, a bunch of grown men thinking they know what’s best for someone else’s kids.
You would disband DCFS then? They're a bunch of grown men thinking they know what's best for someone else's kids too.

If you follow the transfers you will see a pattern. Certain schools embrace the transfer and don’t try and stop it or check up on it. Others will take them but will make sure it’s on the up and up. If New Trier or Stevenson gets a transfer I am willing to bet it’s legit.

IHSA asks schools to police themselves some do some don’t

If you follow the transfers you will see a pattern. Certain schools embrace the transfer and don’t try and stop it or check up on it. Others will take them but will make sure it’s on the up and up. If New Trier or Stevenson gets a transfer I am willing to bet it’s legit.

While I agree that some schools seem to embrace transfers more than others, why did you single out those two schools?

This is the biggest issue right here, the schools do a terrible job policing it if they did a better job most of this would disappear.

Oh look, a bunch of grown men thinking they know what’s best for someone else’s kids.

This reminds me of what my father used to tell me as little boy he would say "son if things are tough and you're not in an ideal situation just let me know and we will take our ball and go to another park to play." Catering to 16 and 17 year old kids does them no favors when they are adults and people are non longer telling them how great they are and kissing their ass.

This is the biggest issue right here, the schools do a terrible job policing it if they did a better job most of this would disappear.
It is impossible to police if a parent rents or owns a residence in another school district!This goes on way more than the general public knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT