ADVERTISEMENT

I'm looking for an HONEST assessment of JCA

feeto

Aug 23, 2007
I'm hearing about jr's playing on the soph team, and very low numbers. Any truth to this? What kind of record will they have this year? Who are their best players? TIA.

Technically, they don't have a soph team. As a conference, the ESCC is going to JV teams, so I'm not surprised if some juniors will play in the soph game against Rita. I'm assuming Rita would have to sign off on that. The sophs had about 30 kids on the team as freshmen. With normal attrition, they may not have enough sophs to field a purely soph team.

Varsity-wise, they have a pretty good senior class. The junior class will have low numbers. They have 4 returning O-linemen (one signed with Purdue) and at least two good RB's. The junior, Kenyetta Williams, is a future D-1 player. The defense has around 7 returning starters, but is probably the biggest question mark. Many of the Seniors have been playing varsity ball since their soph years. However, the teams have won a combined 4 games the last two years, so we shall see if it comes together this year. They have a tough schedule for a 5A team. They cannot afford any key injuries, as depth is a big concern.

I've heard good things about the incoming Frosh class in terms of numbers and talent. Last number I heard was 47 kids on the Freshmen team. As a program, they need to string a few good classes together to get back to a competitive level in the ESCC.

Reactions: Gene K. and feeto
The assessment is right on with only one exception imo. Keenan Haley the senior running back is a beast. Been watching him for three years. He is a beast to bring down. The linemen love to block for him. I don’t know how he falls through the cracks. He was the same size as Kevon last year but hardly fumbles and definitely stronger and quicker. He had far less carries then kevon and I think there was less then 200 yard difference in total yards for the season. Kenyetta is good, but Keenan is proven. I think some of the problems last year was questionable play calling and personnel decisions. I have many examples but that’s another topic. Lol. Now remember, this is JUST my opinion. But I bet someone will blast me for this. I will just sit back and wait. Lmao.

Reactions: Omnipotent1
Early prediction, well not too early it’s in a couple weeks. But I’m calling a JCA W over SR week one.

The assessment is right on with only one exception imo. Keenan Haley the senior running back is a beast. Been watching him for three years. He is a beast to bring down. The linemen love to block for him. I don’t know how he falls through the cracks. He was the same size as Kevon last year but hardly fumbles and definitely stronger and quicker. He had far less carries then kevon and I think there was less then 200 yard difference in total yards for the season. Kenyetta is good, but Keenan is proven. I think some of the problems last year was questionable play calling and personnel decisions. I have many examples but that’s another topic. Lol. Now remember, this is JUST my opinion. But I bet someone will blast me for this. I will just sit back and wait. Lmao.
I agree with you on Haley. He is very good.

Is Iannatone still playing football? When I saw him as a freshman, he reminded me of a young Joe Benson with the size/speed combo, but he hasn't seen the field much yet.

Yes he’s still there. Runs too straight up but when he reaches the second level he is gone. Actually, he is the second fastest on the team. They ran him only about 3 times and had 80+ yards. Lol. Was against Marist last year to boot. Lol

If he’s close to 30yds/carry, I could careless if he’s doing back handsprings, he should have been getting more carries with JCA’s offensive production last season(113 of the 147 league points scored against the Marian’s and St pats in a 1-2 record). Also, If he’s that fast and long he should probably be playing D as well...is he?

Yes he’s still there. Runs too straight up but when he reaches the second level he is gone. Actually, he is the second fastest on the team. They ran him only about 3 times and had 80+ yards. Lol. Was against Marist last year to boot. Lol

If he’s close to 30yds/carry, I could careless if he’s doing back handsprings, he should have been getting more carries with JCA’s offensive production last season(113 of the 147 league points scored against the Marian’s and St pats in a 1-2 record). Also, If he’s that fast and long he should probably be playing D as well...is he?
Nope, not playing D. I would definitely run him more too. I call their running backs the three headed monster. Big O Line but thin. If they stay healthy. All three could be over 1000 yards. We had 1st and goal with the ball on the 1 yard line against benet last year. Jaws handed the ball off to kevon 3 times. He was our lightest running back. All year we pounded Keenan when we needed one yard. Coach never gives the ball to Keenan or iannotonne. We don’t score. Cost us a win. That game was painful to watch. Play calling all game was unbelievable.

Good. I love that. Hope Rita thinks that too. Lol. Love it. Make them 75 point favorites

HAHAHAHAHAHA Rita goes into the opener as a 21 point favorite.

You are setting yourself up again to be the hero by choosing JCA. LOL. I'll change my spread and make it a pick 'em game. In the end, if Edgy predicts this game, I will side with Edgy. I also think DOS can predict these games very accurately as well, so I'll go with his pick, too.

I honestly don't think SR will be thinking that. I think Rita will be "thinking" more along the lines as they are the underdog and they need to prove something--just like JCA. It's going to be a great game.
I agree. I think it will be a great game also. Should have been chosen as one of the games at NIU. But glad it isn’t. Home field is a plus. This game is flying under the radar. But being an alum from a catholic league school, not St Rita, I know what it’s like to play against another big catholic school with tradition as big as these two schools

It's going to be a fun game and great atmosphere. Going to JCA games always reminds me of small town football. It seems like the entire town shows up on game night. This will be my opening night choice to attend.

It is a shame when you have power runner and don't use him in short yardage situations. That is on the play caller for sure. Have seen this type of coaching too often in the past and if the team doesn't score the whole team gets demoralized. Where is the game being played. if its at JCA I think they could pull off a win!

It's going to be a fun game and great atmosphere. Going to JCA games always reminds me of small town football. It seems like the entire town shows up on game night. This will be my opening night choice to attend.

if i can make it, i'll see you there.

You are setting yourself up again to be the hero by choosing JCA. LOL. I'll change my spread and make it a pick 'em game. In the end, if Edgy predicts this game, I will side with Edgy. I also think DOS can predict these games very accurately as well, so I'll go with his pick, too.

dean's as accurate as they get.

1. highest score ever in edgy tournament.

and the more imoressive

2. accurately predicted gbn would not cross the 50 against MC in the playoffs.

two good teams with a great game in sight for sure. I think/THINK JCA is 2-0 vs Reeters

Game is at JCA. Nothing like firing up the grill, drinking a few cocktails in the parking lot waiting for Friday night lights. I can’t wait for this match up.

I have seen JC seniors as frosh st Marist on a Thr night in '15. Lost I believe 28-16 but Marist was 9-0. Were right there with them. As sophs in '16 saw them at Wheaton N because they had something 10 sophs up on Varsity. Strong class. Didn't see them last year and not sure on their junior class.

Last year, they should of made playoffs. Threw two games away. St. Pats and benet. Dominated them on offense, despite questionable play calling on both sides of the ball in my opinion. Defense has always been an Achilles heel for JCA. Having a new defensive coordinator and jaws calling the plays for the first time ever on defense doesn’t help either. Only senior starters on offense last year was the qb, which after the first 5 games, IMO, I would of started the junior from Joliet west. One running back and the right guard who got hurt three games in against Notre Dame. The rest were juniors. Most of the juniors saw extensive playing time as sophomores on varsity also. Very seasoned this year. They will only be as strong as the coaching is. I hope I’m not pulling my hair out like I did last year saying, why, why, why with most people in the stands did last year. Lol. The players can’t overcome bad coaching decisions. If it’s a handful, maybe. If they stay healthy, and it’s a big IF, they will be fun to watch. Junior class not too strong. Freshmen class is the next class to watch after this year unfortunately.

Well. if you're going to say that St. Rita is the underdog in this one, I can make my week 1 pick now. Rita is a big favorite in my oh so very humble opinion.

Last year, they should of made playoffs. Threw two games away. St. Pats and benet. Dominated them on offense, despite questionable play calling on both sides of the ball in my opinion. Defense has always been an Achilles heel for JCA. Having a new defensive coordinator and jaws calling the plays for the first time ever on defense doesn’t help either. Only senior starters on offense last year was the qb, which after the first 5 games, IMO, I would of started the junior from Joliet west. One running back and the right guard who got hurt three games in against Notre Dame. The rest were juniors. Most of the juniors saw extensive playing time as sophomores on varsity also. Very seasoned this year. They will only be as strong as the coaching is. I hope I’m not pulling my hair out like I did last year saying, why, why, why with most people in the stands did last year. Lol. The players can’t overcome bad coaching decisions. If it’s a handful, maybe. If they stay healthy, and it’s a big IF, they will be fun to watch. Junior class not too strong. Freshmen class is the next class to watch after this year unfortunately.
Feel free to get out there on the sidelines and show him how its done. Until then...

Reactions: USD24
Feel free to get out there on the sidelines and show him how its done. Until then...
Really? A forum is designed for opinions. Never specified being an expert or wanting to be a coach. If we can’t express our opinions this site should just shut down. Don’t know why your on here if we can’t express ourselfs. Sometimes things posted aren’t too accurate or they are the truth and people can’t handle it. I don’t know. If you read my posts, I use IMO which means I’m my opinion, in case you don’t know that, maybe that’s something you didn’t know. Until then.........

Never said Rita was the underdog. Joliet Catholic will always be the underdog until they start winning. Let’s not kid ourselves. Lol. But I really like JCA chances , IF, and I Say IF, they stay healthy. That’s true with any team but when your thin in talent, it’s really more pronounced like it is with JCA this year. All I’m saying.

You know what they say opinions are like.

Let me guess, you're the same guy in the stands that yells "Block somebody" before every offensive snap, and "Get Him" when the opponents ball carrier is running. There's always one or two.

Dynamite commentary! Down in front!

Well. if you're going to say that St. Rita is the underdog in this one, I can make my week 1 pick now. Rita is a big favorite in my oh so very humble opinion.
I just don’t much about Rita besides their outstanding kicker. They lost an great RB and QB. I don’t think they have a headliner playmaker on offense, not saying that means much though. Their juniors to be went 2-7 as Freshman and 8-1 as Sophomores so huge turnaround. I think just a part of me wants JCA to rise again, they’re an important part of Illinois football history in a time when our beloved sport is on hard times

Mustang by 21, Rita QB will be a stud this year, and they always have a stable of backs that Kuska rides one after the next.

You know what they say opinions are like.

Let me guess, you're the same guy in the stands that yells "Block somebody" before every offensive snap, and "Get Him" when the opponents ball carrier is running. There's always one or two.

Dynamite commentary! Down in front!
I’m not that guy but I’m not going to fault a guy who does that. Football is passionate for some people. Football affects people in different ways. Some people have skin in the game. There’s parents, coaches, alumni who bleed their school colors. If a true passionate fan wants to cheer on his team and yell tackle him or hit him, it’s alright with me. It’s part of the experience of highschool football. I guarantee one thing, those are the fans that go to all the games and in any weather. Obviously your the type of guy where passion or enthusiasm never affects u, that’s fine too. I know first hand that the kids on the field love to hear parents from time to time get fired up. Especially at their home field. I do suggest if yelling hit him or tackle him offends you, I suggest going to or watching badminton is more in your wheel house. Or just read about football in the paper or listen on the radio. Your choice.

I’m not that guy but I’m not going to fault a guy who does that. Football is passionate for some people. Football affects people in different ways. Some people have skin in the game. There’s parents, coaches, alumni who bleed their school colors. If a true passionate fan wants to cheer on his team and yell tackle him or hit him, it’s alright with me. It’s part of the experience of highschool football. I guarantee one thing, those are the fans that go to all the games and in any weather. Obviously your the type of guy where passion or enthusiasm never affects u, that’s fine too. I know first hand that the kids on the field love to hear parents from time to time get fired up. Especially at their home field. I do suggest if yelling hit him or tackle him offends you, I suggest going to or watching badminton is more in your wheel house. Or just read about football in the paper or listen on the radio. Your choice.
Man, you have an exceptional handle on the pulse of a football sideline. You should consider coaching!
You're also very right, I'm just a passive observer of the game. I'll admit I'm not very qualified to offer any insight on gameday environment or student-athlete psychology in competition.
Badminton is a wonderful suggestion but I enjoy bass fishing much more. Especially when the spectators yell. "Reel it In" and "Cast it farther" That gets me all lathered up for competition. Those largemouth don't stand a chance.

Reactions: USD24
Boy I feel sorry for the guys fishing next to you that catch a big bass and god forbid they yell anything. Would be a bad day for you I guess. Good sport for you tho. Usually nice and quiet for you. Good luck on the pond. By the way, I like a little fishing from the sideline too. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT