Oct 30, 2023
With the finals behind us, I am curious as to what everyone’s Top 5 looks like

- combined 1-8A based on overall ability

MC
Loyola
York
LWE
ESL

I know Loyola beat MC, but had MC kicked FG's they would have won. I believe if they played 10 times MC is winning 6+ of those games.

Also think if ESL was fully healthy they belong as number 5 despite losing yesterday.

MC
Loyola
York
LWE
ESL

I know Loyola beat MC, but had MC kicked FG's they would have won. I believe if they played 10 times MC is winning 6+ of those games.

Also think if ESL was fully healthy they belong as number 5 despite losing yesterday.
I was going to say the same thing about mc. Watching them and Loyola yesterday, MC def "looked" like a better team.

Ive only seen york once vs eville but idk if id put them top 5.

Reactions: Lion4Life01
LA
MC
LWE
Cary
Batavia- I know they got beaten badly by MC but they had a brilliant season going until then. I think they can beat York.

LA went undefeated and beat MC so they get #1. I do think MC may be the better team, but LA played better that day so to the victors goes the spoils.

LA
MC
LWE
Cary
Batavia- I know they got beaten badly by MC but they had a brilliant season going until then. I think they can beat York.

LA went undefeated and beat MC so they get #1. I do think MC may be the better team, but LA played better that day so to the victors goes the spoils.
York is better than Batavia. York have LA their toughest game of the playoffs.

Reactions: MMA_Det and jha618
Imagine if MC had petitioned up. Then it could be proven.
Doc, you've been complaining about MC being in 7A for some time now. Two questions for you in this regard:

First, which school do you support? This information would be very helpful in considering your question.

Second, please tell me specifically why my school with about 550 boys should go neck to neck in the playoffs with LA (with twice our boys), or schools like Stevenson, Lyons Township, Warren and several others who have three to four times as many boys? I'm talking about real, actual humans, not voodoo numbers from the IHSA. I'd bet that even by IHSA abracadabra numbers, MC ranks pretty low on the 7A size scale. Yes, MC has a great program - one that is losing a ton of talent (actually, lost as of Sunday morning). Yes, we have a brilliant coach. Can anyone guarantee that he won't be swooped up by one of those suburban mega-schools or some college?

Be specific, Doc, and don't forget to tell us which school you support. As always, thank you..

1) LA
2) MC
3) LWE
4) CG
5) ESL (I think ESL comes out on top more times than not, but the on the field results have to matter and CG beat ESL yesterday straight up).
Cary had one score erased due to a questionable call and a drive stalled due to a phantom holding call. It could have been ugly without these calls.

Questionable calls in every game. I don’t take anything away from CG, they’re a great program & they found a way to win yesterday. I believe that if they played 5 games ESL wins 3 of them. Just one person’s inconsequential opinion.

Cary had one score erased due to a questionable call and a drive stalled due to a phantom holding call. It could have been ugly without these calls.
And if Bond catch would have been called accurately, or you didnt get a generous 4th down spot, and then respot, or we didnt have a phantom facemask, or Battle didnt get hurt. Like a said previously, theyve played twice and won by a total of 4 points. It wasnt going to be ugly either way.

Doc, you've been complaining about MC being in 7A for some time now. Two questions for you in this regard:

First, which school do you support? This information would be very helpful in considering your question.

Second, please tell me specifically why my school with about 550 boys should go neck to neck in the playoffs with LA (with twice our boys), or schools like Stevenson, Lyons Township, Warren and several others who have three to four times as many boys? I'm talking about real, actual humans, not voodoo numbers from the IHSA. I'd bet that even by IHSA abracadabra numbers, MC ranks pretty low on the 7A size scale. Yes, MC has a great program - one that is losing a ton of talent (actually, lost as of Sunday morning). Yes, we have a brilliant coach. Can anyone guarantee that he won't be swooped up by one of those suburban mega-schools or some college?

Be specific, Doc, and don't forget to tell us which school you support. As always, thank you..
Relax. Original poster had overall rankings with MC over Loyola based on some cockamamie reasons, and I responded accordingly. If I’ve ever said anything about MC moving up in the past, it’s been purely for selfish fan based reasons. I honestly don’t recall, and I would be shocked to find out that I was somehow one of the leaders of this charge.
With the advent of streaming platforms over the past handful of years, I’ve been learning more about all the different levels of play. Congrats on the win, BTW.
I think it’s perfectly fine that teams should play where the IHSA sends them. Playing up is a rarely used option.
If you want to be considered the best overall, in my opinion, you’d have to win the largest class championship. Beating them head to head in the regular season would have given them something to think about too. The LWE/Loyola game did not really live up to expectations. As a selfish fan, I’d rather have seen the Loyola/MC rematch.
My teams of interest in order are Wilmington, Morris and Bradley-Bourbonnais.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver Rain
Off topic

My issue with MC moving up is the IHSA pairing system

hypothetically
MC, Loyola, LWE and York are the top 4

For sure
MC and Loyola are rematching prior to finals and 100% for sure 1 if not both of the other teams will be on the same side of the bracket

To have 3 of those teams on the same side of the bracket would make everyone frot their teeth

Reactions: FanFan_65
York, Batavia are excellent teams .... I think currently Warren & Maine South are also 8A Powers and will be for the foreseeable future. Teams that can reload year after ... after year earn my respect. For public schools to be consistent that is extremely hard because you are at the mercy of city you live in & demographics. Just my thoughts! 🎢

You think the meek and lowly roadrunners who couldn’t buy a win this regular season will even be able to sniff the top 25 next season? Maybe top 30….MAYBE

Maybe just the hollow thoughts of a hollow man, but the observation came from Jordan Lynch in a story by by Mike O'Brien.

"Should have kicked the field goal(s)" is quite a different thing from "Would have won if we kicked them." Not only would LA have played differently, this is high school ball and kicks are _far_ from a sure thing. That is all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT