ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA Top 50 Programs

Appreciate the mention of Lincoln-Way East to the titles list but you also need to mention that the school is not yet even 25 years in competition….half the required 50 year comparisons.

6. No flaming, trolling or repetitive posting. This includes consistently posting the same thing over and over or posting just to elicit a reaction instead of engaging in substantive discussion.
All.... Well that went out the window last year for some reason. Sitting back silent and doing nothing could be mistaken for complicity and acceptance. Not an acquired taste for many especially the old guard who behave. But it is what it is as they say. Ratsy

The only team in the CCL that can brag is MC as ESL has beaten all others including MC once. The notion that somehow winning in the CCL is something superior is a laughable argument. A win is a win period.
"The Broncos defeated East St. Louis 24-14 in the title bout of the City of Champions Classic on Saturday at Clyde Jordan Stadium."

Montini beat ESL in 2015, not recent, but not ancient history either.

Read more at: https://www.bnd.com/sports/high-school/prep-football/article34227387.html#storylink=cpy

Reactions: JAYC14
Defeating ESL means more to the CCL guys than winning a state championship. Very telling indeed 🔶🔷🔶🔷🔶🔷

• Haha
Reactions: cigaros
I think it’s cool that the top 2 will be revealed during the championships.

Anyone know if the top 5 is already set, or will the results of this season influence the top few teams?

I assume the top 3 are JCA, Mt. Carmel and ESL in some order.

Reactions: Silver Rain
I like your list, but I'd also add LWE. They have made 24 straight playoff appearances every single year of their existence.
It really depends on the criteria used in the rankings. Without a doubt, LWE is a top ten program right now, but due to the fact they have only been around 25 years, not sure if they are a top ten program historically. We shall see how they handle it.

Reactions: JAYC14
I like your list, but I'd also add LWE. They have made 24 straight playoff appearances every single year of their existence.
LWE will certainly be up there, likely flirting with top ten if not 10th or 9th.
They might just miss out due to longevity.

Reactions: dapiech
Anyone know if the complete list is set or if the results of this year will impact the top 10 at all? @EdgyTim ?

the results of this year
I think this year will count. MC and JCA, now tied in points and number of titles, will be either one and two, or still tied at the end. It adds an extra dose of excitement to the playoffs, the finals, and the showdown on Oct. 11.

Last edited:
Reactions: doctor_d
I lean towards the idea that it’s already set, but since the top 5 or so won’t be released until championship weekend, I figured it’s possible that the top few teams could still be fluid

Reactions: Silver Rain
#33 Richards (Oak Lawn)

The 1989 4A title game against Morris is probably one of my first football memories and also one of the best games I have still ever seen. The reminder in the write up about the INT on the last play of regulation that Morris came so close to returning for a TD is still heart breaking.

Reactions: doctor_d and JAYC14
#33 Richards (Oak Lawn)

The 1989 4A title game against Morris is probably one of my first football memories and also one of the best games I have still ever seen. The reminder in the write up about the INT on the last play of regulation that Morris came so close to returning for a TD is still heart breaking.
Buddy of mine played D-line for that Morris team.

Reactions: 4Afan
This is a horse pucky list. We are behind teams that have 100 less wins than us, less all staters, less all Americans, less D1 and NFL playersCommittee members were provided historical data on approximately 200 programs in each sport, which they voted on to whittle it down to the Top 50 list.

All about the IHSA results pver the last 50, not individual players, or what players went to D1 colleges or the NFL. If you want to play the numbers game, Althoff has few appearances, and wins, and the same amount of titles as Galena but Althoff is ranked higher. They're also just ahead of Naperville Central who has better numbers than Althoff.

From the top 50 website...

Committee members were provided historical data on approximately 200 programs in each sport, which they voted on to whittle it down to the Top 50 list.

“The raw numbers don’t always tell the true story in Illinois high school sports,” said IHSA Assistant Executive Director Matt Troha. “We could have used a formula to name the Top 50 programs, where state championships are worth a certain number of points and postseason wins are worth a certain number of points, but I really don’t think that would have truly reflected the history of IHSA girls volleyball and football. Given the geographical format of IHSA tournaments, there are many programs who never won a state title, likely because they continually ran into another program on our Top 50 list in their geographic area. On the flip side, other programs certainly benefitted from class expansion, winning multiple state titles in short periods of time. There are always going to be programs that have garnered the utmost respect of opposing coaches, regardless of what the numbers say. We asked our committee members to use their lived experiences to tell us what programs belonged on the lists.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT