ADVERTISEMENT

If he has any basketballs

The Outfit

Dec 15, 2015
The AD and football coach from PC should INSIST on a non-conference game every year to settle the score!

one game doesn’t exact needed revenge or respectability!

I’d make it happen as soon as Chatham is eliminated by ESL.

I would do it in sports I know their going to catch their lunch in. Traditionally at PC that would be baseball and wrestling as well.

line them up and sign them! I am not taking this personally but PC reaction should be one of defending ones pride against something something really dispicable. Those seniors are the losing side will never forget that.

it’s one thing to get thumped... it’s another to have it blatAntly slammed in your face

Sometimes you get beat bad. I'm sure I can find some 40-16 like wins over outmatched opponents in PC's history. Get over it. Work harder and coach better next year.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
Skin- Seriously- your right. But there is a right way and wrong way to go about that. To call time out and a kid scores- as a coach when ur up that much your excited, maybe it’s a 2nd or 4td stringer who would NEVER get that opportunity.

but to then go FOR 2? I am sure you see what’s wrong with that

Long time ago I saw 2nd and 3rd strings in a Soph game- up 18-6 against Delasalle... driving ball end of game..(4 mind)... coach running ball and less than 2 mins left taking 4 knees inside the Delasalle 5 yardline.

What good would that touchdown make? That opposing coach has to bring his back and Try to lift his Team together the next week. I know that AD from Delasalle nominated that soph coach from Providence for a IHSA SPORTSmanship award.

sonethings Are right; something’s aren’t wrong.., Chatham. Was big time wrong unless there is something else we are missing

Reactions: Gene K.
That’s a great thing? Sorry MS- your wring.

there is a right way and wrong way.

That’s a great thing? Sorry MS- your wring.

there is a right way and wrong way.

I'm just saying Glenwood may be the dog today but tomorrow they may get rolled. Especially in high school sports where athletes change every year.

Looks like last night the small town schools got a modicum of payback against Chicago area private schools while Rice and MC were victorious against their public foes. Such is life. That touchdown isn't going to change anyone's life one way or the other.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
Looks like last night the small town schools got a modicum of payback against Chicago area private schools while Rice and MC were victorious against their public foes. Such is life. That touchdown isn't going to change anyone's life one way or the other.
The Glenwood kids will get over their life lesson from ESL too. Such is life.

Your missing fhe points
When your winning by a large margin already-

why do something like calling time out to rub it in?
why go for 2 when your winning by 30?

What ESL is doing to people or East or any of our other really exceptional teams isn’t calling time out to make a point

it’s wrong. Unless there is more we don’t know on surface level it’s what HS sports are about.

The Glenwood kids will get over their life lesson from ESL too. Such is life.
Maybe. I don't think it will matter if they lose 56-6 or 64-6 with a TD tacked on in the last minute. I never found the "someone better than us is going to teach them the lesson we couldn't teach them" comforting. To each his or her own.

Any chance PC Coach is on phone to ESL Coach this morning offering up any help he can give them? Not that they’ll probably need it.

I love the faux outrage. This is funny. People run up the score all the time for various reasons. Never understood it really. If you’re that good you don’t need to keep piling on points to prove it. I’ve seen private schools do it just like public schools. Still is a bad look no matter who does it.

Maybe. I don't think it will matter if they lose 56-6 or 64-6 with a TD tacked on in the last minute. I never found the "someone better than us is going to teach them the lesson we couldn't teach them" comforting. To each his or her own.

do they call TO to do it? Do they go for 2?

do they call TO to do it? Do they go for 2?
Kids are resilient, they'll be fine. When I first saw the thread I didn't know the score and thought it was going to be a massacre. Then I looked at the IHSA score page and saw a 40-16 difference. In 2014 PC beat Minooka 56-13. I guess that's okay though?

My suggestion; work harder and coach better.

Then I looked at the IHSA score page and saw a 40-16 difference. In 2014 PC beat Minooka 56-13. I guess that's okay though?

My suggestion; work harder and coach better.
If you are just talking the final score of course your example is perfect. But nobody is really talking about the score, they are talking about what the team did at the end of the game with an already sure win and a large lead (AKA their behavior at the end of the game.).

If you are just talking the final score of course your example is perfect. But nobody is really talking about the score, they are talking about what the team did at the end of the game with an already sure win and a large lead (AKA their behavior at the end of the game.).
I understand that, but was the Minooka game in hand when it was 49-13? Regardless of what quarter it was? I have some pretty plausible reasons why Chatham would do what they did, but I don't even think it's necessary. The 56-13 game doesn't bother me either. The kids will be fine. They'll come out for football next summer and the TD in question, the TO, and the 2 pt conversion will be a distant memory that only old fogies on a message board talk about.

If it was 100-16 we'd have something to talk about.

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat
I guess what puzzles me, for all the outrage, Providence could have stopped Glenwood and prevented the score. Am I missing something?

If they were that pissed one would think they could turn that energy into something positive and stop the other team.

Bush league on Glenwoods part no question, but stop the other team from scoring and this isn’t an argument at all.

I understand that, but was the Minooka game in hand when it was 49-13? Regardless of what quarter it was? I have some pretty plausible reasons why Chatham would do what they did, but I don't even think it's necessary. The 56-13 game doesn't bother me either. The kids will be fine. They'll come out for football next summer and the TD in question, the TO, and the 2 pt conversion will be a distant memory that only old fogies on a message board talk about.

If it was 100-16 we'd have something to talk about.
I don't really care, like you. But you keep falling back on the actual score when that's not their point. I just don't think the way they handled themselves showed any good sportsmanship at all.

If you feel the need to fall back on total scores again, just say "we'll agree to disagree".

EDIT: without having seen the game live and the highlights I have seen today, I fail to see where Chatham did anything wrong. There was some talk about them calling a timeout before their final play but I have not seen a video showing that.

Last edited:
Per the newspaper- Glenwood did NOT go for two nor did they kick an extra point!

my blood pressure spiked based on the “solid” info read here on edgytim first. Usually spot on- looks like this rumor wasn’t.

The kids are fine. This is an ego thing amongst adults whos definition of what's right and what's wrong are different. I'm guessing the PC kids probably went out and enjoyed a nice night of beverages and extracurricular activities. The sun came up this morning.

So...what the hell was Millar talking about? Was he even watching the game?
The following Twitter posts by Steve read......Kevin Conway (PC) 1-yd TD run but the 2-point conversion to try to make it a 2-score game is no good. Glenwood 34 Providence 16, 8 minutes to go (in game).....followed by.....Glenwood calls a timeout with 4 seconds left (in game) and scores again on a 42-yd TD on the final play. Not sure what that's about. Some angry people, but Titans are 12-0 and on to the semifinals.....

Last edited:
Your missing fhe points
When your winning by a large margin already-

why do something like calling time out to rub it in?
why go for 2 when your winning by 30?

What ESL is doing to people or East or any of our other really exceptional teams isn’t calling time out to make a point

it’s wrong. Unless there is more we don’t know on surface level it’s what HS sports are about.
The Forget the Titans movie poster spoofs was wrong too.

Maybe now they might REMEMBER them instead.

Reactions: JVCoach1
I would venture to say that the parents are the ones who were most upset at the last score of the game.
Coaches will be mad but a true professional would not let his counter-part know that it got to him. Shake his hand, tell him good luck and walk away.
Kids will be mad but if you could have stopped them, you should have. Play with Pride.
Revenge is best served when you can return the favor.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
I'm with Skin here. I've been on the losing end of these, I've still never really run the score up on anyone. I could care less what opposing coaches are thinking in these moments, we shake their hands at the end and say good game. Sometimes you have to be the better man and remember you are molding young men to be great people. Holding a grudge until future years and dishing it out on kids who never participated in (or even remember) this contact is not the right way to go about it either IMO. Just depends on ones motives I suppose.

I am a Celtic fan. Love what Coach Senffner did. Had a long conversation with him about 8 years ago. However, PC had no issue with kicking my team and my ass when I was a soph at Holy Cross. Stuff happens. Are some coaches a-holes? Absolutely. Some guys do things the classy way and others dont.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT