ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman Team Numbers

Simple. If a family and child decides that they want to go private because of preference and parents are able to afford and their is NO legacy ties (dad, mom, grandparents attended a school) then dollars come into play. In most instances, if family is eligible for financial aid and/or scholarships then YES the highest offer wins. So, family “x” goes where the best tuition break is offered. This is how it works in most instances. I am not a huge believer of this system. I sent my daughters to Pc because my wife and I attended privates (Mt Carmel and Mt Assisi) plus my daughters wanted nothing to do with Lockport and God blessed us to be able to financially afford the school. Never got a dime nor never asked for a dime to attend. However we are most likely the minority when it comes to this.

Simple. If a family and child decides that they want to go private because of preference and parents are able to afford and their is NO legacy ties (dad, mom, grandparents attended a school) then dollars come into play. In most instances, if family is eligible for financial aid and/or scholarships then YES the highest offer wins. So, family “x” goes where the best tuition break is offered. This is how it works in most instances. I am not a huge believer of this system. I sent my daughters to Pc because my wife and I attended privates (Mt Carmel and Mt Assisi) plus my daughters wanted nothing to do with Lockport and God blessed us to be able to financially afford the school. Never got a dime nor never asked for a dime to attend. However we are most likely the minority when it comes to this.
I love the fact that you try to address issues reasonably and avoid pure meatballery...

BUT

If you completely ignore the REAL REASON why your numbers are down it will continue to get pointed out to you. Another vicious cycle.

Even long-standing legacy families have headed for less-green pastures so to speak.

People are mad and would prefer to scuttle the ship if you’re not willing to throw the captain overboard.

I love the fact that you try to address issues reasonably and avoid pure meatballery...

BUT

If you completely ignore the REAL REASON why your numbers are down it will continue to get pointed out to you. Another vicious cycle.

Even long-standing legacy families have headed for less-green pastures so to speak.

People are mad and would prefer to scuttle the ship if you’re not willing to throw the captain overboard.
I know why Pc numbers are down. I get it......
The financial aid I referenced is just a contributing factor, small or big.

Now that we have completely lost the intent of talking about high school football, I can only hope Edgy flushes this thread.

I know why Pc numbers are down. I get it......
The financial aid I referenced is just a contributing factor, small or big.

Now that we have completely lost the intent of talking about high school football, I can only hope Edgy flushes this thread.
Then what that says to me is you don't want to address the problem.

Reactions: Hillini74
Then what that says to me is you don't want to address the problem.
What are you talking about. The school got rid if McGrath. What the diocese does is out of the schools hands. The catholic church has had this problem for 50 yrs and just keeps ignoring it. That's why myself personally do not go to or support catholic church. But for you to blame this on the school is grasping at straws.

What are you talking about. The school got rid if McGrath. What the diocese does is out of the schools hands. The catholic church has had this problem for 50 yrs and just keeps ignoring it. That's why myself personally do not go to or support catholic church. But for you to blame this on the school is grasping at straws.
Pc is doing what they can. The Augustinians and Archdiocese have the control. With all due respect to Mr Speed, it still appears that you have an axe to grind with Pc.

Now, high school football......

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
As I stated previously, the school encouraged anyone who wanted to send a sympathy card or letter of encouragement to McGrath that they could drop it off in the office and assured folks they would get it to McGrath.

Sorry I have a problem with that.

Or that he doesn’t want to address it on a high school football board. Which makes complete sense
Uh I get that. I didn’t think I had to beat it into anyone’s head to deliver the message that maybe you shouldn’t ask questions publicly if you want to avoid addressing the actual answers to those questions. Oh wait the only acceptable answer is how everyone else spends more money. A lot more people than me have grown tired of the Provi excuse-making.

Two replies. Education substandard? I put three daughters through that school. One just graduated with a doctorate in pharmacy and one graduated with a nursing degree. Both excelled at Pc and attribute that to a solid education. So not sure where you are getting substandard from.

Regarding financial aid, no dispute that there is money, $1.5M per year. It has been about the financial aid qualifications for years. I’m on the school advisory board and I’m close to this topic. It is being addressed.

I have 2 kids there and they love it, drive 30 miles there and back most days and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The teaching and community aspect has been great imo.

Or that he doesn’t want to address it on a high school football board. Which makes complete sense
In fairness high school football is the front porch of a private schools athletic/school culture. I know for a fact this topic has been discussed on plenty of porches. Just MHO. I've been on both sides of the door when controversial issues come up. Transparency has never been a significant option for the powers that be wearing the cloth, especially when that word is actually invoked.
My Catholic high school experience was the foundation for my life. I believe in it. Unfortunately, the church has priced my children out of that experience. That's life for the shrinking middle class in 2019.

In fairness high school football is the front porch of a private schools athletic/school culture. I know for a fact this topic has been discussed on plenty of porches. Just MHO. I've been on both sides of the door when controversial issues come up. Transparency has never been a significant option for the powers that be wearing the cloth, especially when that word is actually invoked.
My Catholic high school experience was the foundation for my life. I believe in it. Unfortunately, the church has priced my children out of that experience. That's life for the shrinking middle class in 2019.

Here's the part that doesn't compute. No matter how well-intentioned your original thought to publicly discuss the fact you only have 22 kids out for frosh ball, if you can't figure out that someone might actually point out exactly why that is then I'm not sure you're thinking this through as much as you should.

And if you want to pretend it's because somehow everyone else is giving out more money than you then I'm not sure what good you feel you're doing.

No matter this or any of the other incidents, Providence is still the best. Just ask anyone from there.

Here's the part that doesn't compute. No matter how well-intentioned your original thought to publicly discuss the fact you only have 22 kids out for frosh ball, if you can't figure out that someone might actually point out exactly why that is then I'm not sure you're thinking this through as much as you should.

And if you want to pretend it's because somehow everyone else is giving out more money than you then I'm not sure what good you feel you're doing.

No matter this or any of the other incidents, Providence is still the best. Just ask anyone from there.
I’ve said it several times and I’ll say it yet again. Providence’s enrollment decline, driving low football numbers, has been created by several factors including but not limited to a) continual tuition increases, b) internal issues (McGrath, wrestling program incident, etc) and c) other privates offering better financial aid. I’ve never said it was all about c) only.

Now that I have you on the line Mr Speed, I’ve been meaning to ask you this question. Have you personally attended Pc or have you put children through Pc or just an outside observer with an opinion. Also did you attend a private high school in your day?

Love the sarcasm in your last paragraph!

I’ll hang up and listen. Thanks

I’ve said it several times and I’ll say it yet again. Providence’s enrollment decline, driving low football numbers, has been created by several factors including but not limited to a) continual tuition increases, b) internal issues (McGrath, wrestling program incident, etc) and c) other privates offering better financial aid. I’ve never said it was all about c) only.

And I've said it every time this gets brought up. The incidents you allude to in your point b.) are exactly what drove what you refer to in your points a.) and c.)

Other privates offering "better financial aid" is simply of function of them doing what they're able to stock the shelves with the kind of kids that build a school and its programs up to higher levels.

Those kind of kids don't want to come to certain places no matter how much money they're offered. There are simply better choices available to them.

It's also a tacit rebuke of what they've seen -- see point b.) again.

For the record, the "wrestling program incident" as you call it is as troubling as the McGrath episode for me. Even more so in some respects.

The way the administration reacted to each reveals a character people aren't comfortable with. Protect the guilty. Sacrifice the innocent. Left a bad taste in a lot of mouths.

There were far more egregious incidents where people weren't trying to bend the school over for money. They weren't publicized as much and handled far better ultimately.

It leads to the inevitable conclusion. What's right or wrong doesn't matter, just do whatever (no matter who it harms) to keep up as good an appearance as you can.

Now that I have you on the line Mr Speed, I’ve been meaning to ask you this question. Have you personally attended Pc or have you put children through Pc or just an outside observer with an opinion. Also did you attend a private high school in your day?

I am not here to talk about me. I'll leave it at I've been a fan of the green for decades. Children I love and care about have attended there. A few are still left. I wouldn't recommend anyone going there now.

ILove the sarcasm in your last paragraph!

You're a smart guy. I figured you would get it. If you ever do want to solve your place's problems, the road to recovery starts there.

You can't solve any problems you won't admit you have.

I’ll hang up and listen. Thanks

Extending the metaphor. Now that's cooperation!

There are many, many, many, many, many many, many good people both working for and attending PC. However, like the old adage goes, even a drop of sewage in the finest cask of wine nets you a cask of sewage.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_4vszfu35bv677
And I've said it every time this gets brought up. The incidents you allude to in your point b.) are exactly what drove what you refer to in your points a.) and c.)

Other privates offering "better financial aid" is simply of function of them doing what they're able to stock the shelves with the kind of kids that build a school and its programs up to higher levels.

Those kind of kids don't want to come to certain places no matter how much money they're offered. There are simply better choices available to them.

It's also a tacit rebuke of what they've seen -- see point b.) again.

For the record, the "wrestling program incident" as you call it is as troubling as the McGrath episode for me. Even more so in some respects.

The way the administration reacted to each reveals a character people aren't comfortable with. Protect the guilty. Sacrifice the innocent. Left a bad taste in a lot of mouths.

There were far more egregious incidents where people weren't trying to bend the school over for money. They weren't publicized as much and handled far better ultimately.

It leads to the inevitable conclusion. What's right or wrong doesn't matter, just do whatever (no matter who it harms) to keep up as good an appearance as you can.

I am not here to talk about me. I'll leave it at I've been a fan of the green for decades. Children I love and care about have attended there. A few are still left. I wouldn't recommend anyone going there now.

You're a smart guy. I figured you would get it. If you ever do want to solve your place's problems, the road to recovery starts there.

You can't solve any problems you won't admit you have.

Extending the metaphor. Now that's cooperation!

There are many, many, many, many, many many, many good people both working for and attending PC. However, like the old adage goes, even a drop of sewage in the finest cask of wine nets you a cask of sewage.
Great reply. That’s not a sarcastic comment either. It’s sincere. I agree with every point and comment you made above. And yes the wrestling incident was handled poorly. The kid was a great kid and I got to know the dad through the Men’s Club. Great dad and family. They got the raw end of that deal. Glad the kid wound up excelling at that other private in Lombard.

Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50
The kid was a great kid and I got to know the dad through the Men’s Club. Great dad and family.

Don't tell anyone.

I believe I know who this is. Thank you for the kind words.

One year left.

Looking forward to a fun season and especially the last regular season football game of my son's high school career. As is my son.

Sorry I haven't participated much in this conversation. It seems I'm on a pitch count as per the message I received:
As a free user, there is a limit to how many messages you can post at once. Please wait a while and try again or pay for a subscription!

Reactions: Gene K.
Don't tell anyone.

One year left.

Looking forward to a fun season and especially the last regular season football game of my son's high school career. As is my son.

Sorry I haven't participated much in this conversation. It seems I'm on a pitch count as per the message I received:
As a free user, there is a limit to how many messages you can post at once. Please wait a while and try again or pay for a subscription!
God Bless!

That's just a standard default message that runs off a timer, to keep people from rapid fire posting. Although I didn't remember it saying "As a free user" when I got it in the past.

That's just a standard default message that runs off a timer, to keep people from rapid fire posting. Although I didn't remember it saying "As a free user" when I got it in the past.
Good to know. I posted twice yesterday and then got that message the rest of the day.

I fear I'm now at my limit for today. Have a great weekend all.

Good to know. I posted twice yesterday and then got that message the rest of the day.

I fear I'm now at my limit for today. Have a great weekend all.
Well that sounds a little strange, I got that message when I was posting updates during the football playoffs last year and they were kind of rapid-fire when scores quickly changed. AKA getting the message sounded legit to me when it happened.

Maybe there's another default timer for brand new poster with (<10 or <20 posts), or something like that.

Yeah somehow telling the truth nowadays is maligned. You can’t solve problems you won’t fully admit you have. It isn’t this thread which should be flushed.

The blatant attempts to get it flushed are exactly what they appear to be.
This "thread" was about freshman numbers.....someone appears to have taken it in another direction.

Don't tell anyone.

One year left.

Going to be a great season!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT