ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman Team Numbers

Well PC does not give money out like other schools do. But if they dont start to it will really start to take its toll. Only have 200 incoming freshman really hurts. Especially because as every catholic school know about 30 to 40 kids transfer after freshman year for various reasons.

I'm not even referring to student athletes I'm just saying students. PC enrollment for the past around 30 years has been between 1100 and 1200 students this incoming freshman class only have 200 kids is a trend in the wrong direction. Like I said I'm guessing that class as sophomores will be around 170 to 175

I'm not even referring to student athletes I'm just saying students. PC enrollment for the past around 30 years has been between 1100 and 1200 students this incoming freshman class only have 200 kids is a trend in the wrong direction. Like I said I'm guessing that class as sophomores will be around 170 to 175
I know. I was just being a goofball. Provi total enrollment may be under 900 this year. Certainly under 1000 last year. Used to see 30-40% of the boys out on the field in Fall. It's only about 25% now. So numbers going down but percentages are too.

Well PC does not give money out like other schools do. But if they dont start to it will really start to take its toll. Only have 200 incoming freshman really hurts. Especially because as every catholic school know about 30 to 40 kids transfer after freshman year for various reasons.

What what money? No you didn’t say that. That’s against the IHSA rules. Don’t tell me that money is now okay.

I know. I was just being a goofball. Provi total enrollment may be under 900 this year. Certainly under 1000 last year. Used to see 30-40% of the boys out on the field in Fall. It's only about 25% now. So numbers going down but percentages are too.
All Catholic League schools are down for the most part except Iggy, Marist and Loyola Academy. Rice had a nice incoming Frosh class this year - 225+ to make up for the lower one year before at 168.

Cogs and staff do a very good job getting out to youth games and talking with players and parents. However this isn’t the 1990s anymore, implying that “they just don’t show up wanting to go to Providence like it was back then. The challenge has been with the “financial aid” concept. Some of our local “rivals” are throwing bigger nickels to perspective students/players. Pc administration is addressing this. In addition, rising tuition and some unfavorable press has impacted the Emerald Isle.

Cogs and staff do a very good job getting out to youth games and talking with players and parents.

Yes they do. Always have. Many good people there. I believe the Head Coach is as good a coach as he is a person. Some of his assistants are amongst the best you could hope for. This is not the problem.

However this isn’t the 1990s anymore, implying that “they just don’t show up wanting to go to Providence like it was back then.

Why would they? The education is substandard. Many teachers hold on to jobs simply because of their previous ties to the school and their willingness to work for peanuts. Others are kept as political favors. Depending on who you get as a teacher in any given class can be the difference between whether you actually learn anything or just get passed along with a healthy dose of Social Justice Warrior rhetoric to further cloud any kids' understanding of the world. Don't get me wrong, there are a few outstanding teachers there but the substandard ones really pull down their efforts in aggregate.

The challenge has been with the “financial aid” concept. Some of our local “rivals” are throwing bigger nickels to perspective students/players. Pc administration is addressing this. In addition, rising tuition and some unfavorable press has impacted the Emerald Isle

This is patently false. There is and has always been an abundance of financial aid opportunities. For the RIGHT students. The Diocese offers grants and scholarships and the school bends over backwards to help families who want to be part of it.

And it isn't bad press that's plaguing them. It's bad decisions. The Emerald Isle has impacted the Emerald Isle. No one else. Only their entitled parents fail to see this.

Yes they do. Always have. Many good people there. I believe the Head Coach is as good a coach as he is a person. Some of his assistants are amongst the best you could hope for. This is not the problem.

Why would they? The education is substandard. Many teachers hold on to jobs simply because of their previous ties to the school and their willingness to work for peanuts. Others are kept as political favors. Depending on who you get as a teacher in any given class can be the difference between whether you actually learn anything or just get passed along with a healthy dose of Social Justice Warrior rhetoric to further cloud any kids' understanding of the world. Don't get me wrong, there are a few outstanding teachers there but the substandard ones really pull down their efforts in aggregate.

This is patently false. There is and has always been an abundance of financial aid opportunities. For the RIGHT students. The Diocese offers grants and scholarships and the school bends over backwards to help families who want to be part of it.

And it isn't bad press that's plaguing them. It's bad decisions. The Emerald Isle has impacted the Emerald Isle. No one else. Only their entitled parents fail to see this.
Two replies. Education substandard? I put three daughters through that school. One just graduated with a doctorate in pharmacy and one graduated with a nursing degree. Both excelled at Pc and attribute that to a solid education. So not sure where you are getting substandard from.

Regarding financial aid, no dispute that there is money, $1.5M per year. It has been about the financial aid qualifications for years. I’m on the school advisory board and I’m close to this topic. It is being addressed.

Reactions: net-se

Ok Speed, time to fess up. What is your relationship to PC?

Reactions: Bowie50
Two replies. Education substandard? I put three daughters through that school. One just graduated with a doctorate in pharmacy and one graduated with a nursing degree. Both excelled at Pc and attribute that to a solid education. So not sure where you are getting substandard from.

Regarding financial aid, no dispute that there is money, $1.5M per year. It has been about the financial aid qualifications for years. I’m on the school advisory board and I’m close to this topic. It is being addressed.
PC is not competitive when it comes to what other schools in the blue offer you can throw in Marist and st Laurence as well. All those schools are much better with working with families on trying to get there student athletes in the door. I know two examples just in the last couple years were former alumi sent there sons to other other school in the blue because PC said they could not compete with there financial aid package.

Reactions: Gene K.

Is the 1.5 m your are talking about from harvest drive?

PC is not competitive when it comes to what other schools in the blue offer you can throw in Marist and st Laurence as well. All those schools are much better with working with families on trying to get there student athletes in the door. I know two examples just in the last couple years were former alumi sent there sons to other other school in the blue because PC said they could not compete with there financial aid package.
It's a vicious cycle. People get turned off by the way some things were ignored and some folks were treated. The numbers get lower. Because of their decisions like I said previously. Less people means less money coming in and less ability to help others. Truly exceptional kids have always been helped significantly. Truly exceptional football players are not helped simply because they are football players. And that's exactly how it should be.

Reactions: Gene K.
And PC-MC,while you are asking for explanations, you might want to elaborate on this...
I have heard, school on Larkin near Joliet West has up’d their “ante” on financial aid over last few years. Same with school near Benedictine University. Same with school on 115th Street. Same with school near Midway airport. Same with school near Reavis. Hard to compete when you can’t match the “ante”.

It's a vicious cycle. People get turned off by the way some things were ignored and some folks were treated. The numbers get lower. Because of their decisions like I said previously. Less people means less money coming in and less ability to help others. Truly exceptional kids have always been helped significantly. Truly exceptional football players are not helped simply because they are football players. And that's exactly how it should be.
Agree on the vicious cycle!

Reactions: Mr. Speed

heard the same thing, hard to compete when it comes to down to $$

You mean when it costs a parent(s) $12000 annually for tuition and they still have to pay your property taxes of $10000 annually and people rag that the kid gets $2500-$3000 of financial aid? Wait til the vouchers happen.

You mean when it costs a parent(s) $12000 annually for tuition and they still have to pay your property taxes of $10000 annually and people rag that the kid gets $2500-$3000 of financial aid? Wait til the vouchers happen.
I dont think anyone is ragging on anyone. My statement was if providence wants to compete not only athletically but as a school they are going to have to start playing ball.

More like $6k at other nearby schools wink wink. Lol

Let me ask you one follow-up question: were they taking classes which were predominantly Honors and AP?

I'm guessing yes.

Congratulations on their success.

I have heard, school on Larkin near Joliet West has up’d their “ante” on financial aid over last few years. Same with school near Benedictine University. Same with school on 115th Street. Same with school near Midway airport. Same with school near Reavis. Hard to compete when you can’t match the “ante”.

You Catholic league guys really do eat your own. So from what I am reading, you think that these private schools offer "incentives" to attend their school?

Frankly, PC, I think Provi started to go downhill when:
1. One of the local public schools showed that you can compete for a title without paying tuition, then
2. PC and LWE met with LWE winning each game
3. The little problem you had with the previous president...
4 The longtime coach saw the writing on the wall and decided to retire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT