ADVERTISEMENT

Fixing Football

King MJ

Jul 22, 2001
If Wheaton North wins and I believe they will, only one private school will win a State title this year. It looks like the pendulum has completely swung the other way.

What can we as a community do to help the Catholic schools become more competitive?

If Wheaton North wins and I believe they will, only one private school will win a State title this year. It looks like the pendulum has completely swung the other way.

What can we as a community do to help the Catholic schools become more competitive?
Well for starters…
1. No boundaries
2. Free transfer portal
3. Promote scholarships

Feel free to expand on these as we have to do something.

Reactions: big daddy looch
Well for starters…
1. No boundaries
2. Free transfer portal
3. Promote scholarships

Feel free to expand on these as we have to do something.
Sounds like about a half a dozen big name public programs that I can name...

Proud supporter of 1989's Cleveland Ohio Saint Ignatius H.S. and Odessa Texas Permian H.S.

Is that real a thing anywhere? I thought AUSL did and that helped Phillips but they’re gone now
Suburban park or recreational districts with 2-4 teams that play other teams from adjoining districts. High School coaches run summer camps for the kids in their Districts. But the big thing is they run coaching clinics for the youth coaches. Everyone is using the same terminology. Everyone is on the same page when the kids start freshmen year. That's a big advantage.

Sounds like about a half a dozen big name public programs that I can name...

Proud supporter of 1989's Cleveland Ohio Saint Ignatius H.S. and Odessa Texas Permian H.
Suburban park or recreational districts with 2-4 teams that play other teams from adjoining districts. High School coaches run summer camps for the kids in their Districts. But the big thing is they run coaching clinics for the youth coaches. Everyone is using the same terminology. Everyone is on the same page when the kids start freshmen year. That's a big advantage.
There you go! That’s the secret sauce.

Private programs have definitely benefited from the youth program here in Park Ridge. I have personally coached a few dozen kids over the years who were not PR residents and did not play at either MS or ME.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClownBaby
This is the second thread in 12 hours on this subject. First one got flushed. Let’s see how long this one lasts.

Reactions: corey90
Sorry I am not seeing the advantage here. Private schools can run summer camps too. And they can run coaching clinics for the youth programs. If they aren’t doing that, that’s on them. It’s not like Texas where it is ran from the school district

The public school districts already may be helping the private schools by virtue of some initiatives that could drive more families of means from public to private. For example, the public institutions were far behind the privates in terms of lifting COVID restrictions to allow school to more normally resume. Public districts are more likely to be susceptible to "woke" initiatives like eliminating advanced course levels because they are not "equitable." Other controversial education concepts relating to history and social issues are less common in the private sector like in some public school teaching documents exposed by parents. Socially-charged textbook disputes would not be seen in private school library offerings as we saw in the west suburbs this week. It won't be a tidal wave, but conditions for movement seem to be in place.

The public school districts already may be helping the private schools by virtue of some initiatives that could drive more families of means from public to private. For example, the public institutions were far behind the privates in terms of lifting COVID restrictions to allow school to more normally resume. Public districts are more likely to be susceptible to "woke" initiatives like eliminating advanced course levels because they are not "equitable." Other controversial education concepts relating to history and social issues are less common in the private sector like in some public school teaching documents exposed by parents. Socially-charged textbook disputes would not be seen in private school library offerings as we saw in the west suburbs this week. It won't be a tidal wave, but conditions for movement seem to be in place.
That’s a very good point!

Sorry I am not seeing the advantage here. Private schools can run summer camps too. And they can run coaching clinics for the youth programs. If they aren’t doing that, that’s on them. It’s not like Texas where it is ran from the school district
Agreed!!
When I moved here from Oklahoma I was floored. From 6th grade on we had school teams that then fed the high schools. I couldn’t believe here there were no public school teams until 9th grade.

This is the second thread in 12 hours on this subject. First one got flushed. Let’s see how long this one lasts.
Exactly what I was thinking. This is just the same thread poking a stick the other way.

I went to church this morning, like all CCL fans do 🙂, and came back and the other thread was gone.

Reactions: McCaravan
There you go! That’s the secret sauce.

Private programs have definitely benefited from the youth program here in Park Ridge. I have personally coached a few dozen kids over the years who were not PR residents and did not play at either MS or ME.
Most youth programs serve multiple high schools the thought that kids are running the high school system from youth is just stupid. Hell Park Ridge has two youth programs I would bet they both run system different from MS.

Most youth programs serve multiple high schools the thought that kids are running the high school system from youth is just stupid. Hell Park Ridge has two youth programs I would bet they both run system different from MS.
I believe back in the day, part of the Morris and Geneseo success was attributed to kids having run the HS offense for many years.

Reactions: atrain97
I believe back in the day, part of the Morris and Geneseo success was attributed to kids having run the HS offense for many years.
This may be the case but how many suburban youth football programs serve a single high school? Also how many burbs are served by single high school?

They do indeed, however there is input

This may be the case but how many suburban youth football programs serve a single high school? Also how many burbs are served by single high school?
See Cary Grove success, 98% of our kids in the Jr Trojans move onto Cary Grove HS, and they have been running the basis of the Offense and Defense since they have strapped on a helmet.

See Cary Grove success, 98% of our kids in the Jr Trojans move onto Cary Grove HS, and they have been running the basis of the Offense and Defense since they have strapped on a helmet.
Yup and that’s why they’re so good. They’re a bit of an outlier bc there’s not many programs trying to get their kids. Marian Central may try. But a lot of suburban schools are fighting off 3-5. Which is why it’s so hard to make those type of youth programs. Parents being alum of the privates or the program serving multiple HS make it hard to implement as well.

Yup and that’s why they’re so good. They’re a bit of an outlier bc there’s not many programs trying to get their kids. Marian Central may try. But a lot of suburban schools are fighting off 3-5. Which is why it’s so hard to make those type of youth programs. Parents being alum of the privates or the program serving multiple HS make it hard to implement as well.
We have lost more to St Viator in the last 5 years, than we have to Marian. There are a couple kids this year, one in particular that would have started for sure.
Easy access because of the train line from Cary to AH.

Wasn't there a post on here before the playoffs that priviate schools were going to win every level but 6A and "break" the IHSA?
I mean they are competitive. Some are down this year, but that happens to all programs.

You do realize, of course, that had Loyola and IC (and JCA which is still alive in the playoffs) not petitioned to play up in more competitive classes, this tongue in cheek thread of yours would be a non issue. Furthermore, had the petitioning up not happened, we likely would be hearing from the likes of you and other public school apologists all about the so called private school advantage. I find it more than a little ironic that when private schools that petitioned up wind up losing in the semis in a more competitive class than the one where they were initially classified by the IHSA, that now there is commentary about how private schools need help to be more competitive.

Give me the NIPL!

You do realize, of course, that had Loyola and IC (and JCA which is still alive in the playoffs) not petitioned to play up in more competitive classes, this tongue in cheek thread of yours would be a non issue. Furthermore, had the petitioning up not happened, we likely would be hearing from the likes of you and other public school apologists all about the so called private school advantage. I find it more than a little ironic that when private schools that petitioned up wind up losing in the semis in a more competitive class than the one where they were initially classified by the IHSA, that now there is commentary about how private schools need help to be more competitive.

Give me the NIPL!
Why do you assume Loyola would have won 7A if they didn't petition up? I mean they slipped by BR in the regular season and BR played two very competitive games before getting beat up in Semifinals, so to imply Loyola would have just walked through the 7A field is just dumb.

Reactions: Francis Gallagher
Why do you assume Loyola would have won 7A if they didn't petition up? I mean they slipped by BR in the regular season and BR played two very competitive games before getting beat up in Semifinals, so to imply Loyola would have just walked through the 7A field is just dumb.
I didn't say, nor do I assume, that Loyola would have won 7A. However, they did trounce one of the 7A finalists (which you conveniently failed to mention).

To imply that the 7A field is the equal of the 8A field isn't exactly the height of intelligence either.

Last edited:
I didn't say, nor do I assume, that Loyola would have won 7A. However, they did trounce one of the 7A finalists (which you conveniently failed to mention).

To imply that the 7A field is the equal of the 8A field isn't exactly the height of intelligence either.
Was that team you trounced missing anyone?

Reactions: ClownBaby
Was that team you trounced missing anyone?
Sure.

Would it have made for a different game if Brown and Kyle played? Sure. Hard to imagine the game not being different with those blue chippers.

Would Loyola's 30 point margin of victory been substantially less? That is less sure, I think.

Would Rita have beaten Loyola? Probably not.

Last edited:

It goes back and forth in cycles.

I think SR is a different team now than they were in week 3. Loyola losing Maldonado really affected their offense.

Reactions: Gene K.
Sure.

Would it have made for a different game if Brown and Kyle played? Sure. Hard to imagine the game not being different with those blue chippers.

Would Loyola's 30 point margin of victory been substantially less? That is less sure, I think.

Would Rita have beaten Loyola? Probably not.
You used the word trounced. Then conveniently forgot to mention Brown being out who had 19 touches and 132, 7 yards per touch and a TD as a sophomore vs LA. In a 10-7 game with a minute left in the half, I’d say he makes a difference as you admit in your edit, but didn’t mention in your trouncing post.

I hope all the best to James Kyle as he fights back for a college career but you do know the statistical difference between KB and JK’s offensive production during their careers? It doesn’t matter. Both are great kids and since St. Rita and Loyola programs keep great stats, anyone can go to MaxPreps with a pen and paper can find out. You relented on the word trounced in your next post which was the word that I had objected to.

You used the word trounced. Then conveniently forgot to mention Brown being out who had 19 touches and 132, 7 yards per touch and a TD as a sophomore vs LA. In a 10-7 game with a minute left in the half, I’d say he makes a difference as you admit in your edit, but didn’t mention in your trouncing post.

I hope all the best to James Kyle as he fights back for a college career but you do know the statistical difference between KB and JK’s offensive production during their careers? It doesn’t matter. Both are great kids and since St. Rita and Loyola programs keep great stats, anyone can go to MaxPreps with a pen and paper can find out. You relented on the word trounced in your next post which was the word that I had objected to.
True, I did not mention that Brown didn't play in Loyola's 37-7, um, defeat of Rita. Brown is great, but is he worth 30 points against Loyola? Rita generated 69 yards of offense to Loyola's 466. Brown is great, but is he worth 400 yards against Loyola?

I understand how you are trying to spin it by saying the game was close late in the first half. But, Loyola scored with 14 seconds left in the first half, and then they scored again on the first play from scrimmage in the second half. In the blink of an eye, it wasn't so close anymore. Brown is great, but would he have stopped Loyola from scoring any of their 37 points?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT