ADVERTISEMENT

Fixing Football

True, I did not mention that Brown didn't play in Loyola's 37-7, um, defeat of Rita. Brown is great, but is he worth 30 points against Loyola? Rita generated 69 yards of offense to Loyola's 466. Brown is great, but is he worth 400 yards against Loyola?

I understand how you are trying to spin it by saying the game was close late in the first half. But, Loyola scored with 14 seconds left in the first half, and then they scored again on the first play from scrimmage in the second half. In the blink of an eye, it wasn't so close anymore. Brown is great, but would he have stopped Loyola from scoring any of their 37 points?
Of course that is ridiculous. From your past posts, I’ve found you to be an intelligent person and football observer. Does he make up 400 yards differential? No. But does he generate enough first downs (7 yards per touch as a soph v LA) to rest a defense that can then not allow the onslaught? Who knows? Who cares? I only cared because you reprimanded someone for ‘conveniently’ leaving something out and I added a little context to your use of trouncing. That’s all

True, I did not mention that Brown didn't play in Loyola's 37-7, um, defeat of Rita. Brown is great, but is he worth 30 points against Loyola? Rita generated 69 yards of offense to Loyola's 466. Brown is great, but is he worth 400 yards against Loyola?

I understand how you are trying to spin it by saying the game was close late in the first half. But, Loyola scored with 14 seconds left in the first half, and then they scored again on the first play from scrimmage in the second half. In the blink of an eye, it wasn't so close anymore. Brown is great, but would he have stopped Loyola from scoring any of their 37 points?
All good points. But for discussion purpose only and not arguments (could go on the other threads) lets say he does play he does not have to get 400 yards to make it a competitive game. Lets say he gets 185 all purpose yards. That would open up the rest of the offense.(Maybe). SR punted 10 times in that game. If they only punt 5 times. that's half the possessions for LA, and maybe LA yards are cut in half. Brown does not play defense but he can keep the defense off the field. One player can make a big difference but seldom is the only deciding factor when two very good teams met.

I had LA as my #1 all season. Their loss was tough. Injuries to LA where a big factor in their loss in that last game too.

ADDED: did not see Rocksoup's post till after I posed, did not mean to be redundant

Last edited:
Reactions: RockSoup
All good points. But for discussion purpose only and not arguments (could go on the other threads) lets say he does play he does not have to get 400 yards to make it a competitive game. Lets say he gets 185 all purpose yards. That would open up the rest of the offense.(Maybe). SR punted 10 times in that game. If they only punt 5 times. that's half the possessions for LA, and maybe LA yards are cut in half. Brown does not play defense but he can keep the defense off the field. One player can make a big difference but seldom be the only deciding factor when two very good teams met.

I had LA as my #1 all season. Their loss was tuff. Injuries to LA where a big factor in there loss in that last game too.
All good points but, it's Monday afternoon quarterbacking on both your posts. I haven't seen him play this year with the IHSA pay per view, But his payoff games vs Sterling and Boylan were special.

All good points but, it's Monday afternoon quarterbacking on both your posts. I haven't seen him play this year with the IHSA pay per view, But his payoff games vs Sterling and Boylan were special.
I heard that before he was invited to the All-American Bowl Ohio State worked him out before he started playing again in round two.

Of course that is ridiculous. From your past posts, I’ve found you to be an intelligent person and football observer. Does he make up 400 yards differential? No. But does he generate enough first downs (7 yards per touch as a soph v LA) to rest a defense that can then not allow the onslaught? Who knows? Who cares? I only cared because you reprimanded someone for ‘conveniently’ leaving something out and I added a little context to your use of trouncing. That’s all
We could go on and on. What if LA had Kyle in that Rita game? Would that have extended some of LA's drives thereby keeping Brown off the field?

Yes, I conveniently forgot KB. For what it's worth, I also left out that Loyola played without Kyle.

What I reminded (not sure reprimanded is the best word here) someone was that Loyola trounced Rita, a 7A finalist. I get that I didn't qualify that by saying that Loyola trounced Rita playing without Brown. Duly noted. I get that you aren't happy with my choice of verb to describe LA's decisive victory over Rita. Duly noted.

Last edited:
You used the word trounced. Then conveniently forgot to mention Brown being out who had 19 touches and 132, 7 yards per touch and a TD as a sophomore vs LA. In a 10-7 game with a minute left in the half, I’d say he makes a difference as you admit in your edit, but didn’t mention in your trouncing post.

I hope all the best to James Kyle as he fights back for a college career but you do know the statistical difference between KB and JK’s offensive production during their careers? It doesn’t matter. Both are great kids and since St. Rita and Loyola programs keep great stats, anyone can go to MaxPreps with a pen and paper can find out. You relented on the word trounced in your next post which was the word that I had objected to.
I was at that game and remember that Brown was unreal. A true gem. We were all fortunate to have seen him that day in Wilmette.

• Love
Reactions: RockSoup
The public school districts already may be helping the private schools by virtue of some initiatives that could drive more families of means from public to private. For example, the public institutions were far behind the privates in terms of lifting COVID restrictions to allow school to more normally resume. Public districts are more likely to be susceptible to "woke" initiatives like eliminating advanced course levels because they are not "equitable." Other controversial education concepts relating to history and social issues are less common in the private sector like in some public school teaching documents exposed by parents. Socially-charged textbook disputes would not be seen in private school library offerings as we saw in the west suburbs this week. It won't be a tidal wave, but conditions for movement seem to be in place.
Woke initiatives? Controversial education concepts? Socially charged textbook disputes? Private schools promote "non-woke" initiatives, and non controversial education concepts like religion? Give me a break. It's high school football. Chicago suburban public high schools are some of the best in the country. You'd have to be blind not to see it. Suburban high schools education and athletics (facilities) have surpassed private schools. Everyone is now college prep. Suburban high school test scores have surpassed private schools. Athletic facilities are better. You'd be a fool not to send your kid to the Lincoln Ways, Napervilles, public schools in McHenry or Lake County.

• Haha
Reactions: bend-the-knee
Well for starters…
1. No boundaries
2. Free transfer portal
3. Promote scholarships

Feel free to expand on these as we have to do something.
Can we get back to fixing football please..the CCL representatives are having a meltdown. Could be worse come Saturday. Depends if Kyle plays.

Last edited:
1. School Choice
2. Tuition Vouchers
3. Tax Payer funded feeder programs for everyone
I’d like to know which of any of these apply here in Park Ridge? Please be specific with factual examples. To be fair of course

Lost a lot of grammar school football programs over the last few years. They generally provide those mid tier type players that make the good teams great. Less kids played football the last 4 years it seems like. Saw a bit of an uptick this season though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT