ADVERTISEMENT

Feeto's Friday Upset Special........

feeto

Aug 23, 2007
Week #1 ....... The week we've been anticipating for 9 months. This is always the hardest week of the year to pick an upset, because there's really not a lot of info out there. I've set myself up with some huge shoes to fill after the awe inspiring season I had last year, but I'll do my best. For this weeks upset we'll head up to DeKalb, home of NIU, Tom & Jerry's Gyros and the Preseason Prep Bowl. This week upset is ...... The Vikings of St. Laurence over the Redwings of Benet Academy. Now I know what you're all thinking " He's only picking St. Larry because of Coach Frank" well, you're partly right. I'm picking St. L because they have everything going for them. Tons of speed, a new found sense of pride(3 years in the making) a great head coach in Harold Blackmon and the greatest coaching mind in Illinois history. I'll be honest and tell you that all I really know about Benet is that they made the State semi-finals the last 2 years, are ranked in the top 25, and they have 11 returning starters. I'll take the Vikings tomorrow afternoon. Final score....... St. Laurence 28 - Benet 21. That's my upset for this week. What are your thoughts, and who's your upset?

I've got to go with the Hilltoppers over Rita as my upset.

I'll be there tonight. I looked long and hard at this one, but I just don't think JCA has the horses. They still have crazy low numbers and seem to be having trouble fielding teams at each level.

Week #1 ....... The week we've been anticipating for 9 months. This is always the hardest week of the year to pick an upset, because there's really not a lot of info out there. I've set myself up with some huge shoes to fill after the awe inspiring season I had last year, but I'll do my best. For this weeks upset we'll head up to DeKalb, home of NIU, Tom & Jerry's Gyros and the Preseason Prep Bowl. This week upset is ...... The Vikings of St. Laurence over the Redwings of Benet Academy. Now I know what you're all thinking " He's only picking St. Larry because of Coach Frank" well, you're partly right. I'm picking St. L because they have everything going for them. Tons of speed, a new found sense of pride(3 years in the making) a great head coach in Harold Blackmon and the greatest coaching mind in Illinois history. I'll be honest and tell you that all I really know about Benet is that they made the State semi-finals the last 2 years, are ranked in the top 25, and they have 11 returning starters. I'll take the Vikings tomorrow afternoon. Final score....... St. Laurence 28 - Benet 21. That's my upset for this week. What are your thoughts, and who's your upset?

A true original never to be duplicated......Welcome back Feeto!

This is a great under the radar game for week one.

Reactions: Bowie50
I'll be there tonight. I looked long and hard at this one, but I just don't think JCA has the horses. They still have crazy low numbers and seem to be having trouble fielding teams at each level.
JCA does not have crazy low numbers. They have 47 freshmen playing football, which is a huge number for a 5A school and 29 Sophs playing, which is pretty standard for the conference. Not sure where you got the impression that they are having trouble fielding teams at each level. It just isnt true.

Last edited:
Oh how I've missed this, feeto!

JCA does not have crazy low numbers. They have 47 freshmen playing football, which is a huge number for a 5A school and 29 Sophs playing, which is pretty standard for the conference. Not sure where you got the impression that they are having trouble fielding teams at each level. It just isnt true.
Since IC doesn't have a Freshmen team, I see the Hilltoppers picked up Maine South in Week 2. That's a helluva first two games for a 5A Freshmen team.

Love my Vikings but I picked that last year & well it didn't turn out so well

Me reading the first Feeto Friday upset special of the season
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowie50
Since IC doesn't have a Freshmen team, I see the Hilltoppers picked up Maine South in Week 2. That's a helluva first two games for a 5A Freshmen team.
MC Freshman have Maine South week two....at least I think we do, our varsity and sophomores do...

As a long time Michigan City guy, I would love to see it happen.....but I just dont see the Wolves pulling this one out.
Raiders or Red Devils or both? The Blazers of St.Mary's drop it in early 50's.I remember going to see MC Rogers Raiders play Hillcrest on a Saturday in 1980 I think it was

Raiders or Red Devils or both? The Blazers of St.Mary's drop it in early 50's.I remember going to see MC Rogers Raiders play Hillcrest on a Saturday in 1980 I think it was
I wasnt a full time resident, but had a lot of friends who were Red Devils as well as Blazers from Marquette. Has always been more of a hoops town.

Reactions: superac777

I'm a big JCA fan and hope they return to greatness, but the facts are the facts. They have JR's playing in soph games just to fill the roster. You say that 29 sophs playing football is the norm in the conference, I'd sure like to see the soph #'s for Marist, CoM, Naz and Benet.

MC Freshman have Maine South week two....at least I think we do, our varsity and sophomores do...
Good point. I see the game is scheduled for 11:30 on 9/1/18. Maybe this is a B game for MS.

I'm a big JCA fan and hope they return to greatness, but the facts are the facts. They have JR's playing in soph games just to fill the roster. You say that 29 sophs playing football is the norm in the conference, I'd sure like to see the soph #'s for Marist, CoM, Naz and Benet.
I dont have access to all the conference rosters, but I would be shocked if any of the schools mentioned had more than 35 sophs. Maybe Marist.

The ESCC does not have soph teams any more, only a JV, so every team in the conference will have Jr's playing in JV games.

Last edited:
Reactions: feeto
I lived in Palatine a LONG time and don't remember ever winning the opener against LZ. if reports that a QB moved to the other side of the tracks is true, my guess is that does not bode well for the Vikings.

Certainly not against a team that bonds as closely as LZ seems to.
Fremd has won twice. 07 and 09. 07 when LZ won state.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Maybe an upset by a point or 2 but I will go with mild mild upset Red Devil over Nap C (Don't wanna overdo it week 1!)
I just don't see HC beating NC. I think it's NC by 2 TD's

I'll take that spread in a heartbeat.
Both really good teams, but HC is loaded all over the field. They might lose, I don't think so, but if they do it will be a dogfight.

I lived in Palatine a LONG time and don't remember ever winning the opener against LZ. if reports that a QB moved to the other side of the tracks is true, my guess is that does not bode well for the Vikings.

Certainly not against a team that bonds as closely as LZ seems to.
I am hoping for a successful season for Coach Lou!

Reactions: crusader_of_90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT