ADVERTISEMENT

Entrance Exam Today

I think we on this forum place a lot more emphasis on the role football plays in choosing a school than reality. There are probably only a handful of kids that choose a school for a sport, the majority go for other factors.

If sports were the driving factor, Marist would not have tested 275 boys and St Laurence 140.

Reactions: NazDad and USD24
Badke had a tough year - we all thought they'd do better but in reality a 5-4 tops - Granted we had some key injuries to our #1 DE Rush (McCoy) and WR (Summers) which didn't help but injuries are part of the game. Marist was loaded this year and we all thought that was gonna be an L. But the CM and Montini games we thought were ones that shoulda/coulda/wouldas and the MC game was no where near what we thought. Rotating the QBs for the first game set the tone and the LB-DBs had a tough go this year. I do think they started 16 Jrs and Sophs at end of the year and the Soph Smyth who will be a Junior is more of your prototypical QB. I see a rebound next year. Still it's not all about football or sports and we need to not forget that
Your absolutely correct, just brining up the football side being on a football forum, but yes, out of the 750 young men at BR, 600 of them don't go there for football. I was just surprised at 170 testing, I have to think that's an all time low.

I think we on this forum place a lot more emphasis on the role football plays in choosing a school than reality. There are probably only a handful of kids that choose a school for a sport, the majority go for other factors.

If sports were the driving factor, Marist would not have tested 275 boys and St Laurence 140.
Marist is better at almost every sport...

Marist is better at almost every sport...

Last year Rice beat them in football, baseball and basket but I really didn't mean to get into a Marist v Rice debate, more just to state that athletics should not be holding them back. Boys athletics are not the rationale as to why 275 or so boys showed up to test at Marist

Reactions: McCaravan
Marist has a couple of additonal factors going for it - they are co-ed, they have a bigger financial aid pool,they have a location with a proximity to larger demographics of boys in 8th grade and yes they have a great academic reputation too. Rice had a down year in Fall sports and was limited on their recruiting/marketing budget - it hit em hard. Will not happen again

Marist has a couple of additonal factors going for it - they are co-ed, they have a bigger financial aid pool,they have a location with a proximity to larger demographics of boys in 8th grade and yes they have a great academic reputation too. Rice had a down year in Fall sports and was limited on their recruiting/marketing budget - it hit em hard. Will not happen again
Your right about everything Top but one, if they were limited on their recruiting budget it didn't show...they by far blew everyone away with their recruiting efforts. I have a son in the recruiting age, they did a lot with these grade school kids, they had a night when the freshman played Marist, they had jumpies, games, BBQ....no other school did that for a freshman game.

Your right about everything Top but one, if they were limited on their recruiting budget it didn't show...they by far blew everyone away with their recruiting efforts. I have a son in the recruiting age, they did a lot with these grade school kids, they had a night when the freshman played Marist, they had jumpies, games, BBQ....no other school did that for a freshman game.
This recruiting-age son you speak of, does he like the colors red and blue?:D

Last year Rice beat them in football, baseball and basket but I really didn't mean to get into a Marist v Rice debate, more just to state that athletics should not be holding them back. Boys athletics are not the rationale as to why 275 or so boys showed up to test at Marist

I think he was referring to Laurence as that is who you had in your example.

He's been raised to respect the red and blue, but has always been partial to the brown and white for some reason...
When my oldest went through the process, he would troll me in my own home by wearing the brown and white, MC shorts, shirts etc. All the boys and girls able to attend the schools listed in this thread are very fortunate. Good times.

Attrition rate from test date to first day of class is about 15-20% (conservatively), for all of these private schools. Not a chance any of them will have more more kids in seats in August than the test date numbers (including the make-ups). It's a tough environment out there. I applaud all the private schools and their administrators, faculty, and coaches for their exhausting efforts to promote Catholic education.

Reactions: RockSoup
BR, MC, PC, SR, STL are ALL top drawer baseball programs. Any kid will do well at any of these schools. Marist is too. The South Side has had top tier baseball programs for yeras. Some may argue which is the number one sport football or baseball in the CCL.

Golfed in an outing today. On the course everyone said that BR did work as hard as most of the schools. It wasn't effort. Not every coach at the agreed with the Prep Bowl decision. One of the guys in my foursome is a dad of a coach. The consensus was it may be more attitude. My opinion means squat. The Rice guys know better than the rest of us, but I think it's only a one year anomaly.

Tom - a vast majority of the Rice alums are not gung ho on the current head. He just doesn't get alums jived (and frankly a good amount of the faculty is not gung ho on him either) A change is needed and my understanding is the pressure is now on the Board big time to get something done

Reactions: ssczar76
BR, MC, PC, SR, STL are ALL top drawer baseball programs. Any kid will do well at any of these schools. Marist is too. The South Side has had top tier baseball programs for yeras. Some may argue which is the number one sport football or baseball in the CCL.
That's easy. Baseball.

Tom - a vast majority of the Rice alums are not gung ho on the current head. He just doesn't get alums jived (and frankly a good amount of the faculty is not gung ho on him either) A change is needed and my understanding is the pressure is now on the Board big time to get something done
Well that's an in-house thing. Close to 250 last year. What was different between this year and last year? If there are other unresolved issues good luck with them.

Well that's an in-house thing. Close to 250 last year. What was different between this year and last year? If there are other unresolved issues good luck with them.
We also lost a great Marketing Director (BB) and the position was not filled - terrible mistake by the guy at the top. So was left solely to one FT guy in Recruiting - tough to do both. That had a big effect.

Attrition rate from test date to first day of class is about 15-20% (conservatively), for all of these private schools. Not a chance any of them will have more more kids in seats in August than the test date numbers (including the make-ups). It's a tough environment out there. I applaud all the private schools and their administrators, faculty, and coaches for their exhausting efforts to promote Catholic education.
Then on top of that how many are there at the end of 4 years. Subtract another 15-20%.

What makes 2018 interesting is this is the first year the Chicago Catholic League Blue opens up it's doors beyond Oak Park and into the Western Suburbs.

Quite Historic!

Reactions: Gene K.
We also lost a great Marketing Director (BB) and the position was not filled - terrible mistake by the guy at the top. So was left solely to one FT guy in Recruiting - tough to do both. That had a big effect.

Guy is playing the educational system to a T.

Rice will be more than fine. I think this is a great opportunity to turn a negative into a positive by evaluating the budget, staffing and President aka top leadership. Big Changes will be coming. Losing BB was a big blow but the show must go on and a good leader always has someone waiting in the wings.

Rice will be more than fine. I think this is a great opportunity to turn a negative into a positive by evaluating the budget, staffing and President aka top leadership. Big Changes will be coming. Losing BB was a big blow but the show must go on and a good leader always has someone waiting in the wings.
Losing BB??? Is he gone completely?

sorry to disappointment some of you hahaha

I'm as critical of Rice as any in regard to on the field results but I cannot argue that they are getting players in the building.

Sounds like did very well with this class and their numbers in football are as strong as any.

They're freshman team last year was good. They were 5-4, but honestly could have been 9-0. Lost by 7 to MC, SR, and LA (LA in OT) and PC by 6 points. Their best player they had coming in transfered two weeks before the season began and their QB never played the position before, he was a WR at Chistina, athletic kid had on the job training, he did pretty good the 3 games I saw

Reactions: krock the house
They're freshman team last year was good. They were 5-4, but honestly could have been 9-0. Lost by 7 to MC, SR, and LA (LA in OT) and PC by 6 points. Their best player they had coming in transfered two weeks before the season began and their QB never played the position before, he was a WR at Chistina, athletic kid had on the job training, he did pretty good the 3 games I saw
I saw them beat Marist and MC loss. Def good players there.

New coach too, believe his first experience as a HC in football. Gotta be happy with that, the guy that left took one of the better looking kids I'd seen in a while to Providence with him.

New coach too, believe his first experience as a HC in football. Gotta be happy with that, the guy that left took one of the better looking kids I'd seen in a while to Providence with him.
They had Quaid back on the sidelines last year, helped McCarthy out emmensly.

I thought LA had to accept at least 1 from each Catholic grammar school north of a certain street, you had some real cases coming from NE Lake County (yes I know I'm probably insulting my daughter's current school, but this was before the main parent honcho, a Caj-Rita guy from MG, got there).
Caj isn't MG.

The kid that went to Providence transferred out of BR after the 1st semester freshmen yr to Crete then wanted to come back to BR this past fall. It was a money thing.
Kid from St Barnabas will be at least a two year starter on varsity and comes from a football family. I would be surprised if he didnt play all four years

The kid that went to Providence transferred out of BR after the 1st semester freshmen yr to Crete then wanted to come back to BR this past fall. It was a money thing.
Kid from St Barnabas will be at least a two year starter on varsity and comes from a football family. I would be surprised if he didnt play all four years
Rice is pretty much set at QB next 4 years

I think you couldn't be more wrong. It's the complete opposite. Athletics is the #1 reason kids go to certain schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT