ADVERTISEMENT

Entrance Exam Today

St. Pat’s tested 255
ND tested 235
Guerin Prep tested 130

Strong numbers. ND down a little bit after a few huge years but they are right where they need to be. Really big number for Pat's...hopefully some football players among that 255 :cool:

One of the more encouraging things I saw on my texts today was that Rita (who tested well last year too, 246) was up almost 20% from last year at the nearby (Beverly, Mt. Greenwood) parochial schools.

One of the more encouraging things I saw on my texts today was that Rita (who tested well last year too, 246) was up almost 20% from last year at the nearby (Beverly, Mt. Greenwood) parochial schools.
SR does real good at Queen of Martyrs because there is a Quinn influence there, they also seem to do well at Cajetans the past few years. Fisher is the BR hub....location location location...plus there is a huge BR alumni in every class. CK seems to always favor MC in most years. A lot of MC coaches, recruiters and teachers set up camp in CK. Barnabas is done in waves. Christina seems to favor Marist....Mount Greenwood Elementary, who's enrollment is 90% Catholic, splits it up pretty well, but sends a good amount to SR

SR does real good at Queen of Martyrs because there is a Quinn influence there, they also seem to do well at Cajetans the past few years. Fisher is the BR hub....location location location...plus there is a huge BR alumni in every class. CK seems to always favor MC in most years. A lot of MC coaches, recruiters and teachers set up camp in CK. Barnabas is done in waves. Christina seems to favor Marist....Mount Greenwood Elementary, who's enrollment is 90% Catholic, splits it up pretty well, but sends a good amount to SR
The two I heard specifically besides the general 20% up line was Linus which has been a desert the last couple years for Rita sent 8 and Christina which has its Rita MC and Marist families sent 12. Solid is what I heard about Caj and Barnabas but don't know actual numbers. I'm sure we'll all know everything by the time mass finishes tomorrow and which Freshman team will go 9-0 all 4 years:D

Reactions: tomloner
The two I heard specifically besides the general 20% up line was Linus which has been a desert the last couple years for Rita sent 8 and Christina which has its Rita MC and Marist families sent 12. Solid is what I heard about Caj and Barnabas but don't know actual numbers. I'm sure we'll all know everything by the time mass finishes tomorrow and which Freshman team will go 9-0 all 4 years:D

The Principal is from Barnabas so I'll guess a few maybe will come from there. The Offensive coach for the freshman was a coach at St. Christina prior to Rita so that's why that number is up. Great guy too. The Linus number is big because that's been a BR stronghold for years. I don't know right now if any of these kids can play football.

What is encouraging is that they are from the core parishes SR targets with the success factor. Those schools all have strong academic programs. The parents have already made the financial commitment to their kids education. And the students knew this year that the testing to get in was competitive. Those facts bode well for the success factor used to grant admission. Last year I was year I was one of the alumni that was not happy with that decision until the decision was explained in detail. But it has worked out well. Hats off to the Administration, Staff, Coaches and Faculty that made the transition over the last year.

Reactions: RockSoup
In most of the schools actively discussed in this thread shouldn't "the test" really be titled placement exam, since there isn't really a bar to clear but rather "the test" is being used to assess what classes need to be scheduled for the student to be successful?

In most of the schools actively discussed in this thread shouldn't "the test" really be titled placement exam, since there isn't really a bar to clear but rather "the test" is being used to assess what classes need to be scheduled for the student to be successful?
I can’t speak for all CCL schools but a few have more test takers than available seats. Others limit the boy/girl ratio to close to 50/50%. So if one sex (boys or girls) got too many applicants they may turn away a few. 11 months ago the big topic here was SR went selective enrollment. Maybe a SR guy could chime in but I believe they only accepted about 75% that tested last year. St. Ignatius always has more test takers than spots. But many of those kids will be going to a magnet school. The test at Ignatius is a safety net. But at 18K it’s an expensive safety net.

Forgive me for the intrusion... but I do have an honest nest question

Does anyone who takes the test get turned away? (My understanding from when I was an 8thgrader is that it was for placement only)

Does anyone who takes the test get turned away? (My understanding from when I was an 8thgrader is that it was for placement only)
There is really no right one-answer-fits-all explanation, each school is different and in different parts of their present, five-year and longer-term plans. There was a time when many schools would take any breathing, tuition-paying student so it was more of a placement exam. But now it seems it is an entrance exam and a placement exam for the majority of schools. Take St. Laurence for example, it's their first year accepting girls so there will be a learning curve to find the right number and ratio to optimize resources. CCL64's answer to Jwar was decent. I tried LWEdad but I may have left you with more questions rather than a clearer answer.

Virtually everyone:

STL
Rice
MC
DLS
Marian
McAuley

The majority
Rita
Marist

More Selective:
Ignatius

Virtually everyone:

STL
Rice
MC
DLS
Marian
McAuley

The majority
Rita
Marist

More Selective:
Ignatius
Back in my day, unless you were a legacy, you had to get at least an 80 on the exam for Ignatius to consider you. I hear Loyola is in that mid range like Marist

Ignatius is really the only school where your test score matters in your acceptance, that I know of at least. Marist will turn a few away, but if you went to a Catholic grammar school, your almost guaranteed acceptance unless your really a special case. I think Loyola is similar to Marist. Ignatius wait lists a lot of kids, many of their testers also apply at the CPS Magnet schools like Whitney and Jones and wait to see if they get in there....save 20K. This is part of the reason they moved to test dates around I was told

I thought LA had to accept at least 1 from each Catholic grammar school north of a certain street, you had some real cases coming from NE Lake County (yes I know I'm probably insulting my daughter's current school, but this was before the main parent honcho, a Caj-Rita guy from MG, got there).

I think in the case of everyone except Ignatius and Loyola, you hope for 70% to be among your Freshmen class. So for the public school posters that would be total number of testers and multiply by .70

If DLS tested 400, a class of 280 would be good.

The number that test is a high water mark. You may never hear from a kid again. They move, they get into a magnet school, the kid changes his mind, or the family decides that they can’t make the 15-20k payments. Tuition is only one cost. Books, travel, uniforms, guaranteed fund raising, ipads, lab fees, equipment fees for sports, and club fees can add up. Most schools will send out acceptance letters and require a registration fee. I think most schools put families on a 10 month payment plan. The first payment is due before school actually starts so that’s usually when you first get good idea how many will show up the first day of classes.

Ignatius is really the only school where your test score matters in your acceptance, that I know of at least.
Add Benet to the list.

Without divulging too much, I heard a story of a family with three elite volleyball-playing daughters. The oldest attended Benet and graduated. The middle girl was enrolled at Benet (as a sophmore). The youngest tested but did not meet the academic requirements. so she was denied admittance. The family pulled the middle daughter out of Benet and sent her and the youngest to another private school. All three daughters were D1 volleyball players. The youngest was a top 10 national recruit. Ironically, the school she attended beat Benet in the IHSA playoffs and won the state title in her senior year. From what I understand, Benet makes no exceptions to their academic standards.

Reactions: bronco man
The number that test is a high water mark. You may never hear from a kid again. They move, they get into a magnet school, the kid changes his mind, or the family decides that they can’t make the 15-20k payments. Tuition is only one cost. Books, travel, uniforms, guaranteed fund raising, ipads, lab fees, equipment fees for sports, and club fees can add up. Most schools will send out acceptance letters and require a registration fee. I think most schools put families on a 10 month payment plan. The first payment is due before school actually starts so that’s usually when you first get good idea how many will show up the first day of classes.
Alumni support is very important to a private schools survival. Remember 700 boys become 2310 for IHSA purposes. 700 families could not pay every cost to run a school for the year. Maintenance on the buildings can be staggering without thinking of capital improvements. Field Turf, a fitness center, new lockers, or a new gym floor?

There is really no right one-answer-fits-all explanation, each school is different and in different parts of their present, five-year and longer-term plans. There was a time when many schools would take any breathing, tuition-paying student so it was more of a placement exam. But now it seems it is an entrance exam and a placement exam for the majority of schools. Take St. Laurence for example, it's their first year accepting girls so there will be a learning curve to find the right number and ratio to optimize resources. CCL64's answer to Jwar was decent. I tried LWEdad but I may have left you with more questions rather than a clearer answer.

Thanks Rock!

Reactions: RockSoup
Surprised by the BR number but heard they got the best QB in the area- supposed to be a stud. Where else did some of the top players end up?

Rice has a decent make up test number and usually gets a couple of transfered scores and some Iggy rejections. Granted very rough test for them but balls in motion already on addressing and a great wake up call for the Board

The negative recruiting is finally catching up to them, you cant say how great you are and how everyone else sucks and expect to get the highest number. They should have 177 test without anyone doing any work, its a disgrace that the number is what it is. The bottom line is they got killed in the southside catholic conference and the so called stud QB is a stud baseball player, hell play football 1 maybe 2 years.

Yes there is some soul searching to do. But while you may think it's all due to negative recruiting Rice also has only one FT recruiting person, Rita and Marist have 2-3. Rice also has to raise more to compete on the financial aid front as well. Rita, MC and Marist all giving more out. So again many reasons. Still yes a bad number that is a great wakeup call for Board to explore, learn from and act on

The negative recruiting is finally catching up to them, you cant say how great you are and how everyone else sucks and expect to get the highest number. They should have 177 test without anyone doing any work, its a disgrace that the number is what it is. The bottom line is they got killed in the southside catholic conference and the so called stud QB is a stud baseball player, hell play football 1 maybe 2 years.
Alek Thomas was a stud baseball player and he played football for 4 years at MC. Maybe their stud QB (tough to say an 8th grader is a stud QB) plays football all 4 years in addition to baseball.

Maybe he goes to HS and he doesn’t develop as much as anticipated in one sport or another. We have seen players not live up to the hype (again - ridiculous to say about an 8th grader) at every school

Yes there is some soul searching to do. But while you may think it's all due to negative recruiting Rice also has only one FT recruiting person, Rita and Marist have 2-3. Rice also has to raise more to compete on the financial aid front as well. Rita, MC and Marist all giving more out. So again many reasons. Still yes a bad number that is a great wakeup call for Board to explore, learn from and act on

If being half the size of what it was 20 years ago, with steadily declining enrollment between then and now, was not enough to awaken the board before last Saturday's exam, what makes you think that this most recent wakeup call will be answered and that the snooze button won't be pushed yet again?

Marist is more than twice the size of Rice. They NEED more admissions people than Rice.

I agree - many kids who develop into great football players were not always tops in 8th grade. Kids get hurt, burned out, want to focus on 1-2 other sports, etc. Plus football's long term future is still up in the air related to concussions, folding leagues/teams, etc

The two I heard specifically besides the general 20% up line was Linus which has been a desert the last couple years for Rita sent 8 and Christina which has its Rita M
Surprised by the BR number but heard they got the best QB in the area- supposed to be a stud. Where else did some of the top players end up?

My DLS guy says DLS MC SR did very well in football BR did so so but in baseball BR and SR did very well DLS and MC did good.

Who got the best Lacrosse players???

If being half the size of what it was 20 years ago, with steadily declining enrollment between then and now, was not enough to awaken the board before last Saturday's exam, what makes you think that this most recent wakeup call will be answered and that the snooze button won't be pushed yet again?

Marist is more than twice the size of Rice. They NEED more admissions people than Rice.
Admissions does not always equal recruiting. As for the wake up call - we've had the same President for past 7 years who has never been called to the table like what will happen. Plus many of his do nothing allies are off the board now.

Reactions: ssczar76
Admissions does not always equal recruiting. As for the wake up call - we've had the same President for past 7 years who has never been called to the table like what will happen. Plus many of his do nothing allies are off the board now.

The President of Rice has been collecting a nice piece of tuition revenue over there for a number of years. He is a retired administrator making a pension (I AM GUESSING) that is greater than anyone in that building makes in salary, as well as being the highest paid current employee and the Rice Board appears to be content with it. I have never seen or heard him do anything outside of the confines of the school to get kids in the building.

Frasor and O'Connell are great at their job and will always have an uphill battle but McCarthy (formerly), Conroy and the administrative staff at Rita presents a much more cohesive unit than Rice does.

I think Rice will actually enroll more then they test as Marist is falling more into the Ignatius window with kids testing there to get a a seat in the fall, if they are still on the fence on where to go. They know they can always go back to Rita, MC or Rice if they so choose.

I don't know enough about the feeder sports to know who goes where but I think the sports at Rice shouldn't impair enrollment with baseball and basketball arguably tops in the CCL. Ancillary sports hold their own as well.

Reactions: Luca_Brasi
The President of Rice has been collecting a nice piece of tuition revenue over there for a number of years. He is a retired administrator making a pension (I AM GUESSING) that is greater than anyone in that building makes in salary, as well as being the highest paid current employee and the Rice Board appears to be content with it. I have never seen or heard him do anything outside of the confines of the school to get kids in the building.

Frasor and O'Connell are great at their job and will always have an uphill battle but McCarthy (formerly), Conroy and the administrative staff at Rita presents a much more cohesive unit than Rice does.

I think Rice will actually enroll more then they test as Marist is falling more into the Ignatius window with kids testing there to get a a seat in the fall, if they are still on the fence on where to go. They know they can always go back to Rita, MC or Rice if they so choose.

I don't know enough about the feeder sports to know who goes where but I think the sports at Rice shouldn't impair enrollment with baseball and basketball arguably tops in the CCL. Ancillary sports hold their own as well.
You are not far off on your assessment of the guy at the top.

Rice has O'C as the main guy but he has Frasor in the recruiting department with him. They did really well with the neighborhood schools, they got some real nice players from the South side Catholic league, they just laid an egg everywhere else. As far as football goes, they went hard after players outside of the neighborhood since Badke started, and while they had a couple good seasons, they made the quarters once, 2 one and dones, and 2 no appearances since he took over, I don't think people where buying what they were selling anymore, especially after going 2-7 this year.

Rice has O'C as the main guy but he has Frasor in the recruiting department with him. They did really well with the neighborhood schools, they got some real nice players from the South side Catholic league, they just laid an egg everywhere else. As far as football goes, they went hard after players outside of the neighborhood since Badke started, and while they had a couple good seasons, they made the quarters once, 2 one and dones, and 2 no appearances since he took over, I don't think people where buying what they were selling anymore, especially after going 2-7 this year.
Badke had a tough year - we all thought they'd do better but in reality a 5-4 tops - Granted we had some key injuries to our #1 DE Rush (McCoy) and WR (Summers) which didn't help but injuries are part of the game. Marist was loaded this year and we all thought that was gonna be an L. But the CM and Montini games we thought were ones that shoulda/coulda/wouldas and the MC game was no where near what we thought. Rotating the QBs for the first game set the tone and the LB-DBs had a tough go this year. I do think they started 16 Jrs and Sophs at end of the year and the Soph Smyth who will be a Junior is more of your prototypical QB. I see a rebound next year. Still it's not all about football or sports and we need to not forget that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT