ADVERTISEMENT

(Edited) Warmup for Feeto's Upset Specials - Week 1

Who are the big upsets this weekend?

Is Lake Park over DeKalb considered an upset, because that's mine.

DeKalb is a very solid 6A program, but not sure you can classify an 8A Lake Park as a huge underdog/upset to win? It’s not like Dekalb is the mighty PR of the last two years that ran roughshod over the FVC and 6A field etc etc! (Bait, Bait.... anyone?).

But if we are saying LP is a big underdog in this matchup, then I will also take LP over DeKalb.

For my upset pick, I will take WV (which missed the playoffs last year for the 1st time in 10 years) over OPRF which was an 8A playoff qualifier in 2017.

Reactions: Gene K.
Are you kidding me here. Week 1 and the high jackers are already out.

feeto:

Just as the CCL Blue, the ESCC prediction and the DSR have become the forum's staple threads during the season, the "feeto Friday Upset Special" will remain the premier thread speculating on the shocking win Friday evening or Saturday afternoon.

On a personal note, I have become endeared to your weekly post for the sole reason you never take the opportunity to use the forum as a platform to launch pitiless, ad hominem broadsides against Brother Rice. Your posts are always balanced and do not reserve sharp rebukes for BR's coaches, players, parents or facilities.

I am looking forward to your Friday entries with great eagerness.

Reactions: feeto
DeKalb is a very solid 6A program, but not sure you can classify an 8A Lake Park as a huge underdog/upset to win? It’s not like Dekalb is the mighty PR of the last two years that ran roughshod over the FVC and 6A field etc etc! (Bait, Bait.... anyone?).

But if we are saying LP is a big underdog in this matchup, then I will also take LP over DeKalb.

For my upset pick, I will take WV (which missed the playoffs last year for the 1st time in 10 years) over OPRF which was an 8A playoff qualifier in 2017.

What are your expectations for WV this year?

feeto:

Just as the CCL Blue, the ESCC prediction and the DSR have become the forum's staple threads during the season, the "feeto Friday Upset Special" will remain the premier thread speculating on the shocking win Friday evening or Saturday afternoon.

On a personal note, I have become endeared to your weekly post for the sole reason you never take the opportunity to use the forum as a platform to launch pitiless, ad hominem broadsides against Brother Rice. Your posts are always balanced and do not reserve sharp rebukes for BR's coaches, players, parents or facilities.

I am looking forward to your Friday entries with great eagerness.
That’s because you’re a wizard and rarely wrong.

Reactions: ESCC Alum
What are your expectations for WV this year?

Wow I would hate to write a novel and honestly I could see it going a couple different ways. Potential is there - depth in certain areas is not.

And rarely am I right and on target with my WV predictions! :);)

Take last year as an example. For the offensive line I was very worried as they only had one returning starter back and one other olineman with some Varsity snaps. I thought it would be a weakness - but it turned out to be a real strength area. The coaches did a great job with that group and save for a little bit at the beginning of the season and a little bit in the last game due to injuries - they gelled well and played very very well.

For 2018
- one would think their Oline would be a strength area with multiple starters back. I worry a bit as I watched the scrimmage and the first string D front 7 stoned the O for the 15-20 snaps they were on the field in the scrimmage. I’m sure a lot of that was because of familiarity and running vanilla plays In case there were “visitors” in the stands;)

Rest of Offense - if the Oline gels - I think they will be able to run the ball well and control the clock. The RB is quick and has good wiggle. Have not seen any power back/FB type though to blast the hard yards and that could be a concern. The WRs have some Varsity experience and have good wiggle and quickness. Not a ton of pure “take the top off of the defense WR speed though”.

Their D is on the inexperienced side - but I think they will be a better Defense than last year as a whole.

Lost a good LB to graduation but have a couple LBs returning and I thought they played pretty well in the scrimmage.

Their DLine might not have a ton of experience but I think as a group will be better than last year. The group should be able to generate more pressure on the QB that last years DLine and they seem to be a little deeper on the DLine this year than last year.

DBs: have a couple guys back with Varsity experience but thin in that area. Last year we got carved up in the passing game by NC and NN And even Wheaton Warrenville South for God’s sake!! and lost an offensive shootout to NC by 5 points or something and won the NN shootout by a few points and barely held off WWS by forcing a fumble in the backfield on the goaline to secure the win. Part of that was lack of pressure on the QB in my mind (can’t ask guys to cover WRs for 6 seconds on a regular basis).

Overall I am cautiously optimistic. Have to remove the boneheaded 15 yard personal fouls and unsportsmanlike penalities. Some of those came at the worst time possible. One of the guys driving a lot of those has graduated so hopefully those will be kept to a minimum this year. Also limit the turnovers! Last year we turned the ball over a ton. The schedule is brutal with Edwardsville and Prarie Ridge non cons and Neuqua twice and Naperville Central... so I think it would be very important to at least split the first two games (OPRF and Libertyville) before the week 3 Neuqua part 1of2 game. Would be awesome to get 2 wins before going into that game - but I would be happy with 1-1.

Last edited:
Shall we go big...Coal City over Morris in their first ever matchup....Huge game for the Coalers, not as much for the Redskins...

Momence over Herscher in a shootout...don't know if the Redskins can play defense, but their returning 3 year starting QB sure knows how to light it up...and if he can get the ball in the air to Minnesota signee Bargy he'll be tough to bring down in the open field (anybody think I'm HHS after this pick...lol)...the total points over/under might be over 80...

Finally...I-8 crossover of the week Wilmo at Manteno...I expect this to be the usual big purple & white big feline battle...Panthers come out early and take the lead early thru the air, and then the Wildcats' depth and conditioning takes over as they plow through the Panther defense throughout the second half...No upset, purple & white felines win...lol

Reactions: Gene K.
Shall we go big...Coal City over Morris in their first ever matchup....Huge game for the Coalers, not as much for the Redskins...

Momence over Herscher in a shootout...don't know if the Redskins can play defense, but their returning 3 year starting QB sure knows how to light it up...and if he can get the ball in the air to Minnesota signee Bargy he'll be tough to bring down in the open field (anybody think I'm HHS after this pick...lol)...the total points over/under might be over 80...

Finally...I-8 crossover of the week Wilmo at Manteno...I expect this to be the usual big purple & white big feline battle...Panthers come out early and take the lead early thru the air, and then the Wildcats' depth and conditioning takes over as they plow through the Panther defense throughout the second half...No upset, purple & white felines win...lol

Wow you really think Coalers over Morris? I think that would be a feeto type upset call.

Morris looked fantastic last year. What do they have coming back and coming up to Varsity?

This whole thread has thrown me for a loop... upsets are for Fridays with my coffee... close thread please.

Lol Let’s just retitle it - “Key week 1 games” or something to that effect!! I agree always love the weekly Feeto thread!!

The upset of the week happened today. Cubs grabbing Cub killer Daniel Murphy from the Nats. Boom!

Reactions: ref2
Shall we go big...Coal City over Morris in their first ever matchup...

Momence over Herscher in a shootout...

Finally...I-8 crossover of the week Wilmo at Manteno...No upset, purple & white felines win...lol

1-2...If you are going big, you might get thumped...

Morris 21-7...7-0 Redskins at half, 13-7 after three...have to give the Coalers some credit for a good game.....

Tigers maul Momence...apparently they still aren't playing any defense in Momence...

The purple & white felines had a good game. Both teams misfired on their first possession. Second possession for Manteno, a Wildcat penalty on 3rd & extra long fired a Panther TD drive...7-0 Panthers end first.

Wildcats respond by predictably ramming the ball down the Panthers' throats, but xp blocked - badly...7-6 Panthers.

Panthers end up punting next possession.

Wildcats methodically ram ball down Panthers' throats for 13-7 lead.

Panthers make mistake on next possession, ball bounces off receiver's hands, drops into defenders arms who returns the INT for a TD. 20-7 Wildcats.

Panthers, seemingly unfazed - or pissed off - rip off several huge completions on next possession on way to TD...20-14 Wildcats.

Wildcats self-implode on their last possession before half, end up with three penalties on punt attempts, Panthers get ball with about 30 seconds on Wilmo side of field. Couple of completions, clock runs out...20-14 at half.

Wildcats received 2nd half kickoff, kinda onside kickish. Start about midfield, methodically ram ball down Panthers' throats for 27-14 lead.

Panthers respond with fairly quick scoring drive, featuring several long completions. xp blocked. 27-20 Cats.

Panthers accumulated yardage the rest of the game, but no more scoring. Wildcats had two more methodical drives for TDs ramming the ball down the Panthers' throats...last drive was 8 minutes...missed/badly blocked both xp. 39-20 Wildcats final.

What did we learn from Week 1? Wilmington is already in midseason form. The departed pieces have been replaced with OEM parts, properly installed and functioning well. Manteno never stopped the Wildcat offense...mishandled balls and penalties caused the end of all the non-scoring drives. Probably averaged 5+ypc for the second half...No passing attack showed up...Couple of incompletes to scare the faithful. And, unlike some past teams with one all-state wing, seemed to be just as effective running right as Dempsey did going left...

Manteno appears for now to be extremely left oriented...The Gesky brothers have taken over the left side, the soph at LT and the jr at LG...their Dad played at Nebraska. The left side of the line was considerably better than the right...probably 90% of running plays were left of center, and most going right were scrambles by the QB Warren...Warren has very good touch on crossing routes, with most of the big plays being left side receivers crossing to the right...

I said Wilmo was quarterfinals or better earlier...barring injury to Dempsey, this team already looks as efficient as the 2014 team did in week 8...IC's move to 4A might be the ticket to Reent's second title...

Manteno has young receivers and line. But you can see the talent...6-3 at worst, improving all year as the youngsters mature...

Wildcats respond by predictably ramming the ball down the Panthers' throats,

In years of watching the Wildcats & Panthers play, traditionally the Cats wear down the Panther defense and the linebackers start making lots of tackles in the second quarter and the secondary starts making tackles late...The Gesky boys played a lot on defense at left end and right tackle. Their name was repeatedly called on tackles in the second half, but the Cats were getting 5+ ypc...The Wildcat line was dominating physically even though they weren't blowing huge holes for the backs to run through (this does not bode well for Reed Custer)...It's also why Manteno looks so improved on the lines ... Panther St. Aubin spent a lot of time in the Wildcat backfield seemingly untouched (although that may have been by offensive design)...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT