ADVERTISEMENT

DARKSIDE RANKINGS: 2017; Vol. 3

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
because I am on a plane, here is your DSR with very very very little analysis. Sometimes I have to save the world from afar, with no notice but a kick out the door. I fully anticipate my DS panel to contribute heavily this week.

A. We have never come close to a gap between #1 and the field as we have this week.

B. LA loses spots...the loss to Phillips and a down CCL Blue is causing the panel to say, enh....we like others more. It's reasonable. This is the first time in a long time LA is this low...I don't see them dropping out though, but instead bobbing a litte from now until the final DSR, where they may end up at number 1. Barrington was next in, but received a score that poses no immediate threat to overtaking LA.

C. LWE is a no brainer, but after that, there are three messes...the middle, PR, MS, NC, Marist. I do not include HF cause they clearly should be there. MS has the best loss, the rest are undefeated, but their schedule is lacking relative to MS. The next mess is the bottom...I mean, who do you pick in the match up of LZ v Phillips. In the bottom, there are 5 or 6 teams that when you play the vs game, your head spins....at least in the middle I can make sound ranking arguments. Lastly, there are still a lot of teams that are not only not top ten by any of us, but unlisted by any of us...naz...where will Bronco end up...Brook can beat LWE...then what. What if Naz and Marist play to OT? Things can get fun soon.

Here are your rankings:

Reactions: Bwm57
On my ballot, dropped LT and replaced them with Barrington, who has been more impressive throughout the year thus far, IMO. LT's big games are still to come. They can play their way back in. Was very impressed with H-F against the Brook. Fast and physical defense coupled with some impressive playmakers on offense. Justin Hall is a difference maker. H-F and LWE have interesting games this week, which precedes their showdown in Week 6.

Reactions: flcowboy09
On my ballot, dropped LT and replaced them with Barrington, who has been more impressive throughout the year thus far, IMO. LT's big games are still to come. They can play their way back in. Was very impressed with H-F against the Brook. Fast and physical defense coupled with some impressive playmakers on offense. Justin Hall is a difference maker. H-F and LWE have interesting games this week, which precedes their showdown in Week 6.
The brook is not good

Newt is really stepping out there with LT at 3.
Wow, we will see I guess.

Just the way LA likes it. Fly in under the radar like a tomahawk missile, give everyone else their props and once the playoffs commence put it all together and see what happens.

Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50
I dropped LZ out, put H-F in at #8. Intrigued by the Vikings, but not sold yet.

I have the top 3 a level ahead of everyone else right now.

1. LWE
2. Maine South
3. Prairie Ridge

I had Naperville Central jump Phillips & Loyola this week. SOS the only reason for the jump. Amat & SF hurting LA. Richards & Westinghouse hurting Phillips.

Marist down to #9. Bro Rice, albeit good losses, keeps losing. Carmel (winless), while Mishawaka & Marian Central Catholic are so-so.

I still have Crete at #10 now. Loss to DSR #1 LWE. Wins over Bro Rice (trending down), but a good win over 4-1 West Lafayette. They slaughtered Bloom, but this isn't the old BCS. Margin of victory against someone you should handle isn't a plus.

ESL was my #7. Edwardsville picked up a win (also helps Nap North cause), plus Providence win looking better now. Evangel still 1-1 as their last game was postponed.

Just the way LA likes it. Fly in under the radar like a tomahawk missile, give everyone else their props and once the playoffs commence put it all together and see what happens.
Sorry but LA will never fly under the radar. They are good and everyone knows it.

because I am on a plane, here is your DSR with very very very little analysis. Sometimes I have to save the world from afar, with no notice but a kick out the door. I fully anticipate my DS panel to contribute heavily this week.

A. We have never come close to a gap between #1 and the field as we have this week.

B. LA loses spots...the loss to Phillips and a down CCL Blue is causing the panel to say, enh....we like others more. It's reasonable. This is the first time in a long time LA is this low...I don't see them dropping out though, but instead bobbing a litte from now until the final DSR, where they may end up at number 1. Barrington was next in, but received a score that poses no immediate threat to overtaking LA.

C. LWE is a no brainer, but after that, there are three messes...the middle, PR, MS, NC, Marist. I do not include HF cause they clearly should be there. MS has the best loss, the rest are undefeated, but their schedule is lacking relative to MS. The next mess is the bottom...I mean, who do you pick in the match up of LZ v Phillips. In the bottom, there are 5 or 6 teams that when you play the vs game, your head spins....at least in the middle I can make sound ranking arguments. Lastly, there are still a lot of teams that are not only not top ten by any of us, but unlisted by any of us...naz...where will Bronco end up...Brook can beat LWE...then what. What if Naz and Marist play to OT? Things can get fun soon.

Here are your rankings:

So, JCHILL, "a down CCL Blue is causing the panel to say it likes others more," is that it? Let's look at the Blue team by team.

At 3-1, Loyola leads the Blue and is the only Blue team to crack the DSR. Loyola's lone loss was to Phillips, currently ranked three spots above the Ramblers in the DSR. We all know the story of that loss relative to the Ramblers being shorthanded and inches away from winning that game on the final play. Of their wins, one was over a traditional OOS team that has a highly regarded program but is performing below expectations so far this year. The other were convincing victories over MC and St. Francis. Combined record of their opponents so far: 8-8

Providence, at 2-2 overall and 1-0 in the Blue, is next up. Their two losses have come at the hands of teams currently ranked #1 and #4 in the St. Louis area. Their two wins have been a one score home victory over Rita and a drubbing of Ignatius. Combined record of opponents so far: 14-3

MC is 3-1 overall and 0-1 in the Blue. Frankly, I think the jury is still out on them. They lost by a lot to Loyola, but they did so without arguably their best player who they will have for the remainder of the season. Their three wins have yielded very little to judge them on. Combined record of opponents so far: 8-8

Rita is also 3-1 overall and 0-1 in the Blue. Convincing wins over Rich Central and Pat's. A close game against Laurence. A one score loss to PC. Combined record of opponents so far: 9-7

Rice is 1-3 and 0-1. Their three losses have come against Marist, C-M, and Montini. The average margin of those three losses is 6 pts. Combined record of opponents so far: 12-4

None of the Blue teams have played schedules against opponents with combined records of worse than 8-8.

Compare that, if you will, with a team like Lyons. The combined record of Lyons' opponents so far is 5-11. Nevertheless, USD, epic and Newt have all ranked Lyons in their top ten. Newt has given them a #3 ranking in each of the first three issues of the DSR. Next up for the Lions? Mighty Leyden at 2-2. After that, they face GBW, DGN, HC and OPRF. I can't wait.

How about everybody's darling, Naperville Central? Their combined opponents are a marginally better 6-10. Perhaps that explains why they have a DSR ranking of #4 (insert roll eyes emoticon here). Next up for NC? WWS at 0-4. Then it's St. Ed's (OH), NN, Wheaton North, and Roselle, with their current combined record of 15-3. Again, I can't wait.

Time will tell.

Reactions: mchsalumni
So, JCHILL, "a down CCL Blue is causing the panel to say it likes others more," is that it? Let's look at the Blue team by team.

At 3-1, Loyola leads the Blue and is the only Blue team to crack the DSR. Loyola's lone loss was to Phillips, currently ranked three spots above the Ramblers in the DSR. We all know the story of that loss relative to the Ramblers being shorthanded and inches away from winning that game on the final play. Of their wins, one was over a traditional OOS team that has a highly regarded program but is performing below expectations so far this year. The other were convincing victories over MC and St. Francis. Combined record of their opponents so far: 8-8

Providence, at 2-2 overall and 1-0 in the Blue, is next up. Their two losses have come at the hands of teams currently ranked #1 and #4 in the St. Louis area. Their two wins have been a one score home victory over Rita and a drubbing of Ignatius. Combined record of opponents so far: 14-3

MC is 3-1 overall and 0-1 in the Blue. Frankly, I think the jury is still out on them. They lost by a lot to Loyola, but they did so without arguably their best player who they will have for the remainder of the season. Their three wins have yielded very little to judge them on. Combined record of opponents so far: 8-8

Rita is also 3-1 overall and 0-1 in the Blue. Convincing wins over Rich Central and Pat's. A close game against Laurence. A one score loss to PC. Combined record of opponents so far: 9-7

Rice is 1-3 and 0-1. Their three losses have come against Marist, C-M, and Montini. The average margin of those three losses is 6 pts. Combined record of opponents so far: 12-4

None of the Blue teams have played schedules against opponents with combined records of worse than 8-8.

Compare that, if you will, with a team like Lyons. The combined record of Lyons' opponents so far is 5-11. Nevertheless, USD, epic and Newt have all ranked Lyons in their top ten. Newt has given them a #3 ranking in each of the first three issues of the DSR. Next up for the Lions? Mighty Leyden at 2-2. After that, they face GBW, DGN, HC and OPRF. I can't wait.

How about everybody's darling, Naperville Central? Their combined opponents are a marginally better 6-10. Perhaps that explains why they have a DSR ranking of #4 (insert roll eyes emoticon here). Next up for NC? WWS at 0-4. Then it's St. Ed's (OH), NN, Wheaton North, and Roselle, with their current combined record of 15-3. Again, I can't wait.

Time will tell.
Ummmm. I have Loyola ahead of LT...

Some week JCHILL will have to decide if saving the world is more important than getting the DSR out in a timely fashion with comprehensive analysis. Priorities my man!

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/bishop-amat-lancers-(la-puente,ca)/football/schedule.htm

If JCHill is doing what I think he is doing, I would rather he be saving the world.

For me, Homer- Flosswood made the big move this week. Heard some stinkweed talk about Da Brook this week, but for 24 minutes, that defense looked world beating. Four times they stopped H-F on downs in their own territory. Brook's punter averaged about 5 yards a punt which kept way too much pressure on Da Brook D, but they played a ballsy brand of football. H-F coaches made significant half-time adjustments and Da Brook made none. H-F gets huge credit for an impressive win.

After LWE and H-F, you can put MS, MC, LZ, PR in bag and pull out anyone and call them #3 and I'm fine. LA, ESL hold the "understandable loss, likely moving up" category. Marist, Barrington, LT, and NN rep the "undefeated but big telling games ahead" crowd. C-G, Huntley and Crete are the "tough loss but nothing out there can fix matters because they lack future meaningful opponents" wannabes. Phillips reps my big school bias. Keeping an eye on HC and GW as early quality losses hurt the ego, but bouncing back nicely and each still has quality games remaining.

Go get em JCHill, your country is counting on you.

MCHS- Can you tell me about your MS vote?
3-1 with easily the hardest schedule so far.

I won't defend Lyons, as I don't have them on my DSR radar, but Naperville Central has a fair resume. Their wins over Glenbard North and Waubonsie Valley are both solid wins. Yeah, Waubonsie has been a disappointment thus far, but look at their 3 losses. The Warriors lost to Lake Park, Neuqua Valley, and Naperville Central. All three schools have had some sort of DSR consideration this season, maybe not top 10, but in the others category. Glenbard North has 2 good losses as well to Waubonsie and Naperville Central. I will admit the GBN wins leave a bit to be desired.

Loyola's body of work is still strong. The Amat win is great, but the traditional power is 0-4. Mt. Carmel is a different story. Their non conference games were like SEC teams playing FCS teams. Taft, Lane, and the crossover with DePaul, not exactly murderer's row.

4, 5, and 6 are very close.

I think LA at #6 for the moment, at least in my DSR is fair.

Thanks for that. Is it safe to assume you are showing me the schedule for reasons other than the fact that Loyola held Amat to a lower score than did the #1 team in the nation?
Amat is currently 0-4. Outscored by their opponents 134-55.

I was impressed with the H-F win. I had them anywhere from 2-4 when I was debating with myself at the end of the day I obviously went with 2 because of MS's close game with Stevie (nothing wrong with it, just not as big as HF's blowout in the 2nd half). PR made their debut with me because they are steady and good, and 'Brook's 2nd half destruction opened the door. the rest of the panel is tripping, I like NN.

Not a lot of changes in my DSR voting from last weeks. All of my top 10 won, most won convincingly. I still have all the same teams, just changed the order a little. Still don't have LA in there. They sit at 11 for me. And I don't want to hear anything more about Bishop Amat being a good win. They are 0-4 and the only team they played remotely close was LA. I don't care how good their schedule is, anyone can play a tough schedule and get your doors blown off.

1 LWE- Destroyed a Sandburg team that I expected more from.
2. HF- signature win.. Ran over a good Brook in the second half
3. Marist- Solid win, sat starters second half. Have watched them on video and they pass the eye test for me as well
4. LZ- Rolled
5. PR- Rolled
6. MS- struggled against a decent Palatine team
7. NC- big drop for me. Only beat a bad waubonsee team by a TD. Gave up 37 pts. The next few weeks will tell a lot .
8. Phillips-Blah, with their schedule may not last in my DSR long
9. ESL- Big win against a bad team. Did what they had to do
10. LT-flipped them with ESL. Struggled a little against PW.

An extra point loss to the consensus #1 team bothers you that much?

Yes, at home. There are no challenges left on their schedule as well, so the only quality win is over GW, and that is sketchy at best, as the Hitters have had little competition and were slowed until half by an AT team that lost 45-0 to Willowbrook.

Win out and they stick in the lower half of my top 10, but I need more!

Reactions: MS4EVER
Yes, at home. There are no challenges left on their schedule as well, so the only quality win is over GW, and that is sketchy at best, as the Hitters have had little competition and were slowed until half by an AT team that lost 45-0 to Willowbrook.

Win out and they stick in the lower half of my top 10, but I need more!
At Palatine (8a semifinalist) and ranked in top 20 by most, not a quality win?

Reactions: Bowie50
Bones and Capn, simple question: You have LA ranked 5 and 7 respectively and Phillips not ranked. How is that possible?

IDK how Phillips drops much in my book. They would beat every team I have below them (or have).

I wish we had a reset on that game. Shame. Kids.

Reactions: mchsalumni
I was impressed with the H-F win. I had them anywhere from 2-4 when I was debating with myself at the end of the day I obviously went with 2 because of MS's close game with Stevie (nothing wrong with it, just not as big as HF's blowout in the 2nd half). PR made their debut with me because they are steady and good, and 'Brook's 2nd half destruction opened the door. the rest of the panel is tripping, I like NN.
Don't like us too much, Bones. Still have NC and Neuqua plus the other games are tossups. Could easily finish 5-4 or 6-3.

Not a lot of changes in my DSR voting from last weeks. All of my top 10 won, most won convincingly. I still have all the same teams, just changed the order a little. Still don't have LA in there. They sit at 11 for me. And I don't want to hear anything more about Bishop Amat being a good win. They are 0-4 and the only team they played remotely close was LA. I don't care how good their schedule is, anyone can play a tough schedule and get your doors blown off.

1 LWE- Destroyed a Sandburg team that I expected more from.
2. HF- signature win.. Ran over a good Brook in the second half
3. Marist- Solid win, sat starters second half. Have watched them on video and they pass the eye test for me as well
4. LZ- Rolled
5. PR- Rolled
6. MS- struggled against a decent Palatine team
7. NC- big drop for me. Only beat a bad waubonsee team by a TD. Gave up 37 pts. The next few weeks will tell a lot .
8. Phillips-Blah, with their schedule may not last in my DSR long
9. ESL- Big win against a bad team. Did what they had to do
10. LT-flipped them with ESL. Struggled a little against PW.[/QUOTE

]Not a good Brook team

Thanks for that. Is it safe to assume you are showing me the schedule for reasons other than the fact that Loyola held Amat to a lower score than did the #1 team in the nation?
Ramblinman: diggin your wordsmithing

Bones and Capn, simple question: You have LA ranked 5 and 7 respectively and Phillips not ranked. How is that possible?
Almost half the starters were out and it came down to a goal line stand with no time on the clock.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT