ADVERTISEMENT

D3 offer

You are pretty much spot on, but it should be noted that USD(Univ of San Diego) has played in the FCS playoffs and won a playoff game in each of the last two years.

My kid had an offer from USD but never went for a visit. A few years later we went out to SD for a San Diego State football game. My wife and myself took a walk around the USD campus. After seeing USD were glad he didn't take the offer because we agreed that if he attended USD and if we wanted to see him we would have to fly out to SD because he would never returned to the Chicago area. There may be more beautiful campuses than USD I just don't know where they are.

Reactions: ignazio
My kid had an offer from USD but never went for a visit. A few years later we went out to SD for a San Diego State football game. My wife and myself took a walk around the USD campus. After seeing USD were glad he didn't take the offer because we agreed that if he attended USD and if we wanted to see him we would have to fly out to SD because he would never returned to the Chicago area. There may be more beautiful campuses than USD I just don't know where they are.
Ive heard this happen all too often. People move out to San Diego and never come back. San Diego is one of the only places I would relocate to. Just a great city with unbeatable weather.

Reactions: bronco man

Agree. USD was a great place to go to school. Some how, I ended up back here. Hopefully, when my kids are out, it will be where my wife and I end up.

Reactions: bronco man
Bronco, Actually they do play in the area. Pioneer League Teams like Valparaiso, Butler and Drake (its stretching a bit) play USD.

If you are in the San Diego area it is worth the effort to see what life could have been if you had gone to USD. I was led to believe that it had one of the largest Navy ROTC programs in the US. The campus is stunning. I also understand that Joan Kroc, Ray Kroc's wife was a major contributor to USD.

The d3 "offer" is a participation trophy IMO. Every kid wants to put on their twitter that they're "blessed and humbled" to receive an "offer" from XYZ. But in reality you haven't. I played d3 football and have many friends and colleagues that played at the upper levels. As bad as I wanted one, I didn't get a scholarship out of high school, they did. D3 "offer" season diminishes the actual kids that ARE getting offers.

I am proud as anything of my college football career. And all these d3 kids should be too! I have a very good friend that was "blessed to commit" to University of Chicago and now lives in Manhattan and makes more money in a year then I'll make in a decade. So I don't have any problems with them posting "Excited to commit to ABC College," because they SHOULD be excited. But you didn't get a scholarship to go there. You should value your commitment to play at the next level which not many kids get the opportunity to do, but don't take away from the kids ACTUALLY getting offers from scholarship schools.

... On a completely separate note some d3 schools that should remain nameless but may compete in the CCIW, are misleading kids and telling them they're getting an offer. I've even heard some schools allegedly making kids sign something they simply drafted in Microsoft word with their college's watermark on it. SHAME ON THEM for misleading kids.

When my kid picked up ~$58k/year from Carnegie Mellon and about ~$60k/year from Johns Hopkins in merit scholarships your saying that's not an offer...wow. With his 32ACT he would have struggled to get into both without Football. I think you might want to re-evaluate your position.

The d3 "offer" is a participation trophy IMO. Every kid wants to put on their twitter that they're "blessed and humbled" to receive an "offer" from XYZ. But in reality you haven't. I played d3 football and have many friends and colleagues that played at the upper levels. As bad as I wanted one, I didn't get a scholarship out of high school, they did. D3 "offer" season diminishes the actual kids that ARE getting offers.

I am proud as anything of my college football career. And all these d3 kids should be too! I have a very good friend that was "blessed to commit" to University of Chicago and now lives in Manhattan and makes more money in a year then I'll make in a decade. So I don't have any problems with them posting "Excited to commit to ABC College," because they SHOULD be excited. But you didn't get a scholarship to go there. You should value your commitment to play at the next level which not many kids get the opportunity to do, but don't take away from the kids ACTUALLY getting offers from scholarship schools.

... On a completely separate note some d3 schools that should remain nameless but may compete in the CCIW, are misleading kids and telling them they're getting an offer. I've even heard some schools allegedly making kids sign something they simply drafted in Microsoft word with their college's watermark on it. SHAME ON THEM for misleading kids.

Reactions: Gene K. and denmig
When my kid picked up ~$58k/year from Carnegie Mellon and about ~$60k/year from Johns Hopkins in merit scholarships your saying that's not an offer...wow. With his 32ACT he would have struggled to get into both without Football. I think you might want to re-evaluate your position.

I've evaluated my position playing at the collegiate level and through years of coaching, so I'm all set on that one.

That's great for your son. He's going to be incredibly successful and make a lot of money some day. But your son didn't get an athletic scholarship to play at either school. Sorry.

So I guess you feel the same way about the Ivy League and military academies, no offers worth mentioning there either. Sooner or later you may also figure out that what a person earns does not determine their true worth!

I do certainly understand what a scholarship is, seems that I don't need to draw a line between athletic and academic because in one case the offer is completely for Athletic prowess, but in the other Athletics facilitated a large cash equivalent to attend a school for next to nothing. Both of my sons in college next year will be in fine institutions and my total cost will be under $15k while I would qualify for zero need based aid due to my FAFSA filing. I guess we will never see eye to eye on this and will need to agree to disagree.

I've evaluated my position playing at the collegiate level and through years of coaching, so I'm all set on that one.

That's great for your son. He's going to be incredibly successful and make a lot of money some day. But your son didn't get an athletic scholarship to play at either school. Sorry.

Reactions: Gene K. and Normdog
So I guess you feel the same way about the Ivy League and military academies, no offers worth mentioning there either. Sooner or later you may also figure out that what a person earns does not determine their true worth!

I do certainly understand what a scholarship is, seems that I don't need to draw a line between athletic and academic because in one case the offer is completely for Athletic prowess, but in the other Athletics facilitated a large cash equivalent to attend a school for next to nothing. Both of my sons in college next year will be in fine institutions and my total cost will be under $15k while I would qualify for zero need based aid due to my FAFSA filing. I guess we will never see eye to eye on this and will need to agree to disagree.

Haha you make a good point there. I know a bunch of guys that make a really good living that are jerks! Your bank account does not dictate your worth. Well, it helps. I digress!

I just think we need to call it what it is. Some kids are getting grants from d3 schools and some are getting athletic scholarships or "offers". To me an "offer" comes based on your athletic ability in your sport. It's different. You don't get an "offer" just because you tweet a bunch of pictures and Say you're blessed and humbled. It's the participation trophy society we live in. You did not get an athletic scholarship.

If my aunt had plums she'd be my uncle. Agree to disagree I guess.

And if your son never played a down of football at either of those schools he would not lose those grants.

Last edited:

It's really semantics but if you want to blame anyone blame the D1 scholarship kids for being non-specific. An "offer" is a generic term that could mean you were offered a glass of water or cup of coffee. If a kid is offered a roster spot on a D3 team or preferred walk-on spot at a D1 program those are offerings. The scholarship kid should say he has been offered a full-ride / full athletic scholarship to school X. The D3 kid should say he has been offered a roster spot to continue playing football at school X. As long as either or both kids are just saying "offer" technically neither is wrong... if a D3 kid is trying to fool someone with their post it's going to be their aunt in Oshkosh.... anyone who knows (or matters) knows what a kid is actually able to be offered from D3, Pioneer League, Ivy League, etc. If a kid is going NAIA or D2 and getting a $1,500 per year football scholarship is it ok if he just says he got an offer from Saint Xavier or NW Missouri State? Or does offer have to be full-ride, where are we going to draw the line? Talk about worrying about nothing! If I have a kid get a full-ride to Alabama I don't give half a turd about what Johnny Boy is tweeting about his offer from Elmhurst college!

It's really semantics but if you want to blame anyone blame the D1 scholarship kids for being non-specific. An "offer" is a generic term that could mean you were offered a glass of water or cup of coffee. If a kid is offered a roster spot on a D3 team or preferred walk-on spot at a D1 program those are offerings. The scholarship kid should say he has been offered a full-ride / full athletic scholarship to school X. The D3 kid should say he has been offered a roster spot to continue playing football at school X. As long as either or both kids are just saying "offer" technically neither is wrong... if a D3 kid is trying to fool someone with their post it's going to be their aunt in Oshkosh.... anyone who knows (or matters) knows what a kid is actually able to be offered from D3, Pioneer League, Ivy League, etc. If a kid is going NAIA or D2 and getting a $1,500 per year football scholarship is it ok if he just says he got an offer from Saint Xavier or NW Missouri State? Or does offer have to be full-ride, where are we going to draw the line? Talk about worrying about nothing! If I have a kid get a full-ride to Alabama I don't give half a turd about what Johnny Boy is tweeting about his offer from Elmhurst college!

At the end of the day, I agree, it's much to do about nothing but that's why we have Free Football Boards to talk about nothing.

Had he not been going there to play football neither coach would be supporting his application and there is a rather high likelihood his admission would not be granted, let alone be getting major academic grants.

Like I said earlier in this thread, not all DIII schools are taking any warm body that applies and willing to pay tuition that comes across their desk like North Central and Benedictine, or city of Choice Wisconsin.

And if your son never played a down of football at either of those schools he would not lose those grants.

Had he not been going there to play football neither coach would be supporting his application and there is a rather high likelihood his admission would not be granted, let alone be getting major academic grants.

Like I said earlier in this thread, not all DIII schools are taking any warm body that applies and willing to pay tuition that comes across their desk like North Central and Benedictine, or city of Choice Wisconsin.

If he wouldn’t of gotten admitted without football but was given $58k in merit based academic scholarships because of football that is a clear NCAA violation. Elmhurst College got cited last month by the NCAA for this exact same thing. They can’t factor athletics into any aide granted at the D3 level.

If he wouldn’t of gotten admitted without football but was given $58k in merit based academic scholarships because of football that is a clear NCAA violation. Elmhurst College got cited last month by the NCAA for this exact same thing. They can’t factor athletics into any aide granted at the D3 level.

I think the idea is football was the differentiator that got him in over an otherwise equally qualified candidate. That is often the case at may high academic schools... you can't be dumb and get in due to football but if you are borderline it can push you across the line.

Reactions: jwarigaku
I think the idea is football was the differentiator that got him in over an otherwise equally qualified candidate. That is often the case at may high academic schools... you can't be dumb and get in due to football but if you are borderline it can push you across the line.

I was responding to the second part where he said he got academic scholarships because he played football. Athletics can’t be figured into the equation, typically if they really want you it comes from your need based aid or campus job to bring the cost down.

At the end of the day your son had no obligation to play football to keep any money he got once he got accepted and received his financial package. U of C deals with this issue all the time. The hardest part of their job is determining who actually wants to play and who is using them to get in.

Elmhurst College got cited last month by the NCAA for this exact same thing. They can’t factor athletics into any aide granted at the D3 level.
"Elmhurst lacked institutional control
October 27, 2017 12:00pmMeghan Durham
Download the October 2017 Elmhurst Public Infractions Decision

Elmhurst did not monitor its athletics program and its director of financial aid acted unethically when she awarded scholarships based on athletics criteria to student-athletes, resulting in a lack of institutional control, according to a decision by the Division III Committee on Infractions."

"Over the course of four academic years, the director of financial aid awarded scholarships partially based on athletics to 26 student-athletes across 10 sports on 42 occasions. Division III rules do not allow schools to provide scholarships to student-athletes or teams in a manner that is distinguishable from the general student body."
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/elmhurst-lacked-institutional-control
"When the director of financial aid knowingly awarded impermissible financial aid to student-athletes, she rendered them ineligible for competition. Therefore, Elmhurst shall vacate all wins in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The contests shall be vacated pursuant to Bylaws 19.5.2-(g) and 31.2.2.3. The individual statistics of the student-athletes who competed while ineligible shall also be vacated."
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Oct2017INF_ElmhurstPublicInfractionsDecision_20171027.pdf

Last edited:
Clown,

Perhaps that was what you thought but not what was meant at all. The coaches, in my current Sr's Case are supporting his application; because even at a 32 ACT he was in the bottom quartile for his academic major. The fact that he was playing football and intends to continue was what pushed him over the top for admission(opinion). My feeling is that he likely would not have gained admission because none of our family are Alumna of either institution. No admission directly correlates to no academic grants. On the other hand my current Blue Shirted freshman at Penn State is on the athletic ride. I must say I am very happy and proud with both boys accomplishments and they should be as well. I will further add that my younger son has not tweeted anything about this and not sure that it will ever be tweeted as he really couldn't give two $hits what anyone thinks.

I was responding to the second part where he said he got academic scholarships because he played football. Athletics can’t be figured into the equation, typically if they really want you it comes from your need based aid or campus job to bring the cost down.

Reactions: Gene K.
And now for the rest of the story!

Elmhurst established two scholarships in 2013 and 2014 that included athletics participation as a requirement, though the school was aware that athletics could not be included in specific scholarship criteria. The first scholarship was earmarked for student-athletes studying to work in medical fields, and the second was intended to include football student-athletes. Furthermore, in 2014, the NCAA Financial Aid Committee sent a notification to the school that a third scholarship, which considered athletics when awarding scholarships to wrestling students, was not allowed. The school took no action.

Elmhurst did not provide rules education to staff in the financial aid or development departments, which contributed to violations. The financial aid director never received formal rules education, and instead developed her knowledge of Division III rules through her work with the NCAA Financial Aid Committee and through occasional interactions with NCAA staff. The director of financial aid also said she felt pressured by development staff to comply with donors’ wishes in awarding competitive financial aid packages, though she did not report the perceived pressure to her supervisor and was the sole decision-maker in awarding scholarships that constituted violations.

The director of financial aid was aware of Division III financial rules and she acted unethically when she knowingly violated those rules to award scholarships to student-athletes exclusively.

A combination of a lack of rules education, failure to establish mechanisms to detect potential violations, and disregard of the Financial Aid Committee’s 2014 written warning led to the Committee on Infractions’ determination that Elmhurst lacked institutional control.

The penalties include:

• Public reprimand and censure for the university.
  • Two years of probation (Oct. 27, 2017, through Oct. 26, 2019).
  • Elmhurst must pay a $2,500 fine.
  • Continued education through attendance at NCAA Regional Rules Seminars.
  • A one-year show cause for the director of financial aid.
  • A vacation of wins in which ineligible student-athletes competed.
  • A postseason ban for current teams with rosters including ineligible student-athletes.
The members of the Division III Committee on Infractions who reviewed this case are Christopher Bledsoe, athletics director at New York University; Effel Harper, an associate professor and faculty athletics representative at Mary Hardin-Baylor; Tracey Hathaway, associate director of athletics for compliance and student-athlete welfare at Massachusetts Boston; Gerald Houlihan, attorney in private practice and committee chair; and Gerald Young, athletics director of Carleton.

"Elmhurst lacked institutional control
October 27, 2017 12:00pmMeghan Durham
Download the October 2017 Elmhurst Public Infractions Decision

Elmhurst did not monitor its athletics program and its director of financial aid acted unethically when she awarded scholarships based on athletics criteria to student-athletes, resulting in a lack of institutional control, according to a decision by the Division III Committee on Infractions."

"Over the course of four academic years, the director of financial aid awarded scholarships partially based on athletics to 26 student-athletes across 10 sports on 42 occasions. Division III rules do not allow schools to provide scholarships to student-athletes or teams in a manner that is distinguishable from the general student body."
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/elmhurst-lacked-institutional-control

Seems like you should know where a person goes to college doesn't determine their worth. Even if it is in city of Choice Wisconsin or NCC/ Benedictine. Lots of doctors, lawyers, teachers and other smart people go to those colleges you singled out. Tisk Tisk.

Also, what's a blue shirt? They didn't have that at city of choice Wisconsin where I went to school.

Last edited:
An offer is an offer. What you are failing to realize is that at the D3 schools the "Athletes" can't get the scholarship based on athletic ability so the schools are forced to come up with another way to give the student money for "THEIR ATHLETIC ABILITY". So the D3 schools do a really good job at being able to create "Academic Grants" that the athlete somehow qualifies for. Sometimes these grants are very loose in requirements especially for athletes. If you think that the D3 athlete is not getting $$$$ for his athletic ability you have lost your mind and are completely out of touch with how the whole system works. Seeing the articles above about Elmhurst proves my point exactly.

An offer is an offer. What you are failing to realize is that at the D3 schools the "Athletes" can't get the scholarship based on athletic ability so the schools are forced to come up with another way to give the student money for "THEIR ATHLETIC ABILITY". So the D3 schools do a really good job at being able to create "Academic Grants" that the athlete somehow qualifies for. Sometimes these grants are very loose in requirements especially for athletes. If you think that the D3 athlete is not getting $$$$ for his athletic ability you have lost your mind and are completely out of touch with how the whole system works. Seeing the articles above about Elmhurst proves my point exactly.

No I do realize that. Because I've been involved in the sport for a very long time.

Think of it this way. It's like when Dwight Shrute from The Office calls himself "assistant regional manager", and Michael Scott the actual Regional Manager corrects him and says "assistant TO the regional manager." No matter how many times Dwight says "assistant regional manager" or puts it on a business card, he'll still always be "asssistant TO the regional manager."

SO no matter how many times these d3 kids pretend to have an athletic scholarship (assistant regional manager) to tweet out (like the business card) they'll still be d3 kids getting grants (assistant TO the regional manager).

Try walking in to work today and just promoting yourself and giving yourself a raise. "Hey boss, I'm blessed and humbled to say I'm the King of Office and want a kazillion dollar raise!" Your boss will tell you to go sit down with all of your other coworkers. Just like Michael has to tell Dwight.

Just because you put it on twitter, doesn't make it an athletic scholarship. And no amount of pictures or RT's make it better.

"If my aunt had plums she'd be my uncle."

Sure sounds like you have many regrets about how you've proceeded through life so far. Just because you haven't seized opportunity in life thus far, doesn't mean you need to rain on everyone else's parade. Good luck going forward and I surely hope you find success, pleasure, and peace in life.

No I do realize that. Because I've been involved in the sport for a very long time.

Think of it this way. It's like when Dwight Shrute from The Office calls himself "assistant regional manager", and Michael Scott the actual Regional Manager corrects him and says "assistant TO the regional manager." No matter how many times Dwight says "assistant regional manager" or puts it on a business card, he'll still always be "asssistant TO the regional manager."

SO no matter how many times these d3 kids pretend to have an athletic scholarship (assistant regional manager) to tweet out (like the business card) they'll still be d3 kids getting grants (assistant TO the regional manager).

Try walking in to work today and just promoting yourself and giving yourself a raise. "Hey boss, I'm blessed and humbled to say I'm the King of Office and want a kazillion dollar raise!" Your boss will tell you to go sit down with all of your other coworkers. Just like Michael has to tell Dwight.

Just because you put it on twitter, doesn't make it an athletic scholarship. And no amount of pictures or RT's make it better.

"If my aunt had plums she'd be my uncle."

Sure sounds like you have many regrets about how you've proceeded through life so far. Just because you haven't seized opportunity in life thus far, doesn't mean you need to rain on everyone else's parade. Good luck going forward and I surely hope you find success, pleasure, and peace in life.

I'm not sure how a Dwight Shrute reference gave you that idea. I live by two words "No Ragrets" - it's my credo.

Reactions: eagles2k3
Just a fan. Will go to a Brother Rice v Marist Game, or an Antioch v Lakes game. Was at Johnsburg v. Phillips a couple years ago.
Geographically I've followed Montini closely over the years, but also follow the other prominent programs in dupage county.

Yourself?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT