ADVERTISEMENT

D3 offer

They can offer financial aid but they can award academic scholarships to kids who qualify but those scholarships are open to the entire student body not sport specific.

This is all over twitter nowadays. Everyone wants to be excited and blessed. I am seeing some kids tweet that they've been offered a roster spot though. That is what a d3 offer is basically.

This is all over twitter nowadays. Everyone wants to be excited and blessed. I am seeing some kids tweet that they've been offered a roster spot though. That is what a d3 offer is basically.

So why shouldn't a kid be excited to be offered to play at the next level? Sure we know its not a full ride, but to the kid that doesn't matter.

I have several friends whose sons are playing D3 sports. Their kids were overjoyed to be offered the opportunity.

So why shouldn't a kid be excited to be offered to play at the next level? Sure we know its not a full ride, but to the kid that doesn't matter.

I have several friends whose sons are playing D3 sports. Their kids were overjoyed to be offered the opportunity.
Im not knocking d3 at all. I played d3. Just don't understand the "offer" to play d3.

Im not knocking d3 at all. I played d3. Just don't understand the "offer" to play d3.

That part I get. It technically is an offer to play there. Not a fully financial one but an offer nonetheless.

A good follow on Twitter for thoughts on $3K all-star games is @Mark_Porter He covers the state Ohio for a free football recruiting service but has had some recent Twitter rants that expose those all star games along with telling people playing D3, NAIA is not above anyone and for parents and players to watch out for paid recruiting services

How about an offer to a university of Chicago, Johns Hopkins, MIT, Wash U, or Carnegie Mellon type D3 where the kid gets in and gets academic money and it's because of football giving him the oppurtunity to not need to be a 34-36 ACT. Not to mention paying maybe $15-20k rather than $60-70k. These kids aren't always talking about D3s that anyone can qualify to get into. I've been on both sides of this equation and it truly is a blessing!

The only thing was worse than being "blessed" to receive an offer from a D3 school are the kids who are "blessed" to pay 3k to attend some all star game.

How about an offer to a university of Chicago, Johns Hopkins, MIT, Wash U, or Carnegie Mellon type D3 where the kid gets in and gets academic money and it's because of football giving him the oppurtunity to not need to be a 34-36 ACT. Not to mention paying maybe $15-20k rather than $60-70k. These kids aren't always talking about D3s that anyone can qualify to get into. I've been on both sides of this equation and it truly is a blessing!

Those D3s, along with the Ivy League schools are a different matter. If someone is posting a "blessed to receive an offer from (insert small unknown liberal arts school here)" message, then it is suspect.

A good follow on Twitter for thoughts on $3K all-star games is @Mark_Porter He covers the state Ohio for a free football recruiting service but has had some recent Twitter rants that expose those all star games along with telling people playing D3, NAIA is not above anyone and for parents and players to watch out for paid recruiting services
Awesome find...thank you!

Depending on how good you are and what D3 school you are talking about the "Offer" can be pretty good. Had a QB at Millikin when I was there that got "academic scholarships" that were about enough to pay for all but $2500 dollars per year. He also was hired by the athletic department to sit around and help out at sporting events and I use the term "Help Out" very loosely. That job helped pay the other $2500. So basically he went to school for free. I would say that was a pretty good offer!

Reactions: golander59
Trust me I don't like retweeting it as much as anyone but it's the never ending and always changing landscape of the wonderful world of recruiting.

Agree - Some kids walk away from scholarships at NAIA and D2 schools (nearly 100% paid for via academic grants and sports scholarship at D2) for the opportunity at one of those DIII schools if the DIII cost at Johns Hopkins, WashU, U of Chicago etc. can get anywhere towards the reasonable zone. It’s nearly impossible to get into those schools without the coaches supporting your application and they use one of their waivers (or you are an academic prodigy)

This may have changed in the past few years so someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe football athletic scholarships for the levels are:

D1/FBS: 80 full ride athletic scholarships that cannot be divided
D1AA/FCS: 65 full athletic scholarships (don't think these can be broken up, but I don't remember)
D2: 36 full tuition scholarships that can be divided
NAIA: 24 full tuition scholarships that can be divided
D3: No "athletic" money, but can give academic grants and scholarships

I think there are some conferences at different levels (Ivy league and Pioneer League some to mind) that have different rules.

D1/FBS: 80 full ride athletic scholarships that cannot be divided
D1AA/FCS: 65 full athletic scholarships (don't think these can be broken up, but I don't remember)
D2: 36 full tuition scholarships that can be divided
NAIA: 24 full tuition scholarships that can be divided
D3: No "athletic" money, but can give academic grants and scholarships

D1 FBS, 85 full scholarships that cannot be divided.
D1AA FCS, 63 Scholarships that can be divided among no more than 85 players
Div 2 36 scholarships to be divided
You are correct as far as I know as to NAIA and D3 football.

The Ivy league and Pioneer league, although those schools are FCS schools, their league rules do not permit athletic scholarships. The Patriot League another FCS conference in 2012 started to allow athletic scholarships in 2013. Georgetown, a member of the Patriot League chose to not offer scholarships for football.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_4vszfu35bv677
The “better” D3’s are very selective in who they speak with and only have the selected kids on campus. Others want numbers and will talk with all of the seniors and that’s why you’ll see 150 on a D3 roster. Whitewater, North Central for example will ask to see certain kids, just like FBS and FCS schools

D3 is good for education-first universities, in my opinion. Matthew was so damned smart ... he knew the other team's play 90 percent of the time. He designed our punt blocks ... and he was given authority to override the first-year D coordinator y senior year.

MATT GOMRIC – 1995, Football
Matt Gomric earned Football Gazette first-team All-America honors and was named the USA Today Division III Player of the Year in 1994. A member of the University Athletic Association (UAA) All-Association 25-Year Team, he was also a two-time first-team all-UAA selection (1993, 1994) and was the 1994 UAA Defensive Player of the Year. Gomric set the school record for tackles with 27 vs. Case Western Reserve University in 1992, and set the school record for unassisted tackles the following year with 22 vs. the University of Rochester. He still holds the school record for career total tackles (504) and unassisted tackles (333). Gomric was the 1994 Darryl Sharp Memorial Team MVP.

Reactions: USD24 and mmca
It was very nice to see Nick Boehm from De La Salle commit to Wisconsin Whitewater, people fail to realize that there is some pretty good football being played at every level. I'm sure he was blown away with the facilities, better than most D2's and some FCS schools

Saw a tweet yesterday with someone being "blessed" to be offered a roster spot at a D3 school in this state.

D1 FBS, 85 full scholarships that cannot be divided.
D1AA FCS, 63 Scholarships that can be divided among no more than 85 players
Div 2 36 scholarships to be divided
You are correct as far as I know as to NAIA and D3 football.

The Ivy league and Pioneer league, although those schools are FCS schools, their league rules do not permit athletic scholarships. The Patriot League another FCS conference in 2012 started to allow athletic scholarships in 2013. Georgetown, a member of the Patriot League chose to not offer scholarships for football.

the Pioneer League is the result of the rapid expansion of D1 hoops in the late 80's. Schools used to be able to play in different divisions in different sports, so smaller schools were moving hoops to D1 and leaving football in D3 because of the expense. The NCAA responded by requiring schools to move all their programs to D1. Some long time D1 hoops schools like Drake & Butler who had been playing D3 football forever were stuck...so they joined together and play no scholarship football in FCS. (A lot of people don't realize the Missouri Valley Conference started with the Big 8 powers - Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc. - and Drake was with them 100 years ago playing football.)

Big East hoops powers like Georgetown & Villanova were in similar positions...they play football in the Patriot.

Panthers,

Villanova has never been a member of the Patriot league, there has been some talk about it from time to time but so far no go. Georgetown is only an Associate member of the Patriot league and that is only recent(1999 or 2000). An interesting side note is that both Army and Navy are core members of the Patriot league.

the Pioneer League is the result of the rapid expansion of D1 hoops in the late 80's. Schools used to be able to play in different divisions in different sports, so smaller schools were moving hoops to D1 and leaving football in D3 because of the expense. The NCAA responded by requiring schools to move all their programs to D1. Some long time D1 hoops schools like Drake & Butler who had been playing D3 football forever were stuck...so they joined together and play no scholarship football in FCS. (A lot of people don't realize the Missouri Valley Conference started with the Big 8 powers - Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc. - and Drake was with them 100 years ago playing football.)

Big East hoops powers like Georgetown & Villanova were in similar positions...they play football in the Patriot.

Saw a tweet yesterday with someone being "blessed" to be offered a roster spot at a D3 school in this state.
I would consider it a blessing if my son got to play at a D-3 school, and would hope that he would as well.

I played one season of D3 ball at a below average program, before I literally broke down physically (broken elbow and shoulder surgery). There was a D3 All-American on the team who was better than several FBS/FCS players I knew, and a future NFL player in conference. To even get my ass-kicked by them was a blessing.

I also know older gents who played D1 before my time and would not garner a FCS look these days. Football athletes are better now, and the level of play on each has improved as a result

Playing college ball ANYWHERE is a blessing and commendable.

Panthers,

Villanova has never been a member of the Patriot league, there has been some talk about it from time to time but so far no go. Georgetown is only an Associate member of the Patriot league and that is only recent(1999 or 2000). An interesting side note is that both Army and Navy are core members of the Patriot league.
My bad...Nova is in the CAA for football. I was thinking those two were together...

And unlike the pioneer league the patriot league is now an FCS scholarship conference except Georgetown who is the only team in the conference choosing to play without football scholarships..... they finished last this year. No conference wins and only one win overall (and it was Campbell a pioneer league team).

And unlike the pioneer league the patriot league is now an FCS scholarship conference except Georgetown who is the only team in the conference choosing to play without football scholarships..... they finished last this year. No conference wins and only one win overall (and it was Campbell a pioneer league team).

The Pioneer league is basically high level D3 football, operating in D1. I know San Diego was very good this year and I have no doubt the top Pioneer team could handle Mount Union, but the rest of the league is basically equivalent to very good D3. That's not a knock against either, but rather just calibrating the levels and why there are quirky differences some times.

Valpo vs. North Central would be a good game
Butler vs. St Thomas would be a good game

The Pioneer league is basically high level D3 football, operating in D1. I know San Diego was very good this year and I have no doubt the top Pioneer team could handle Mount Union, but the rest of the league is basically equivalent to very good D3. That's not a knock against either, but rather just calibrating the levels and why there are quirky differences some times.

Agree completely. There are those who have kids playing in the pioneer league that will not agree with you. Cmon, it’s fcs level.

You are pretty much spot on, but it should be noted that USD(Univ of San Diego) has played in the FCS playoffs and won a playoff game in each of the last two years.

Don't go knockin' my Toreros!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT