ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions Week 12

All.... After the second Cyclones series one could tell it was going to be a long afternoon for the Red Devils. A back to business as usual game for SHG as opposed to last week. I was the only one in our little posse that went back in when the third quarter started. Everyone else was jammed into the tent outside listening to the game on the radio. I watched for another quarter.

One huge positive that is not mentioned often is how well the Cyclones play in their stadium and how comfortable they are in that setting.... Ratsy

All.... After the second Cyclones series one could tell it was going to be a long afternoon for the Red Devils. A back to business as usual game for SHG as opposed to last week. I was the only one in our little posse that went back in when the third quarter started. Everyone else was jammed into the tent outside listening to the game on the radio. I watched for another quarter.

One huge positive that is not mentioned often is how well the Cyclones play in their stadium and how comfortable they are in that setting.... Ratsy
The list of the visiting teams who have won at KL Stadium is a short one. I believe it includes only Springfield, Chatham, Nazareth, and a school from Indianapolis.

Reactions: net-se
Not sure if you have seen this info yet Old Fan but next year the Cyclones' first game is at 7A Normal Community. I haven't seen the rest of the schedule and it may not even be out just yet but it will be a grind next year. Away games at Normal Community, Rochester, Chatham and Decatur Macarthur. A tough go for the new coach and the Cyclones are pretty much wiped out by graduation. A grand total of 3 starters coming back. What will the enrollment be next year? 470?

Not sure if you have seen this info yet Old Fan but next year the Cyclones' first game is at 7A Normal Community. I haven't seen the rest of the schedule and it may not even be out just yet but it will be a grind next year. Away games at Normal Community, Rochester, Chatham and Decatur Macarthur. A tough go for the new coach and the Cyclones are pretty much wiped out by graduation. A grand total of 3 starters coming back. What will the enrollment be next year? 470?
No I was not. But even though there could be a loss or two (or even 3) SHG has what appear to be excellent Junior and Sophomore classes, Ken Leonard's picked successor and presumably most of his coaches and tradition to draw on. I may be wrong but I'd anticipate a possibly bumpy but not catastrophic reloading process.

One other factor. IMO, a major component of SHG's continuing success despite shrinking enrollment and defection of many of the traditional CHS/GHS/SHG Catholic families to places like Chatham and Rochester is the much enhanced attraction and impact of African-American athletes, so many of whom contribute greatly to the quality and success of not only football but also basketball.

The Cyclones will be ok.

Reactions: Gene K.
All.... Since I heard of the the two year deal the CS8 made with the Big 12 last January I have watched for schedule updates to this day. Lincoln coming in as OldFan mentioned does no one any real good as it pertains to football. At least for the two years there is one non con game. This is what I have so far on that schedule but it could change. Ratsy

W1 SHG @ Normal Community
W1 Rochester @ Peoria H.S.
W3 Lanphier @ Champaign (Central)
W4 Peoria (Manual) @ Lincoln
W5 Peoria (Notre Dame) @ Jacksonville
W6 Urbana @ Normal University
W7 Springfield @ Normal (Community West)
W8 Champaign (Centennial) @ Decatur (Eisenhower)
W9 Decatur (MacArthur) @ Bloomington.

I don't have these remaining four. CS8 - Chatham and Southeast. Big 12 - Peoria (Richwoods) and Danville. One would assume because they are matching up like teams between the two conferences Chatham would play Richwoods and Southeast against Danville. A nice draw for the Titans....

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketnation
I think the Springfield area journalists are a little over-optimistic when it comes to Rochester this week. Carterville has a very good football team. They beat Murphysboro by 21 points. I would shave 14 points off the prediction and say Rochester 35, Carterville 7. So, yes, Rochester should be a solid favorite in the game, but Carterville's excellent defense has a reasonable chance of holding Rochester to less than 40 points.
Rochester led 41-14 until taking a knee to prevent a 49-28 outcome. Carterville defense did not exist.

Reactions: Gene K.
All.... Since I heard of the the two year deal the CS8 made with the Big 12 last January I have watched for schedule updates to this day. Lincoln coming in as OldFan mentioned does no one any real good as it pertains to football. At least for the two years there is one non con game. This is what I have so far on that schedule but it could change. Ratsy

W1 SHG @ Normal Community
W1 Rochester @ Peoria H.S.
W3 Lanphier @ Champaign (Central)
W4 Peoria (Manual) @ Lincoln
W5 Peoria (Notre Dame) @ Jacksonville
W6 Urbana @ Normal University
W7 Springfield @ Normal (Community West)
W8 Champaign (Centennial) @ Decatur (Eisenhower)
W9 Decatur (MacArthur) @ Bloomington.

I don't have these remaining four. CS8 - Chatham and Southeast. Big 12 - Peoria (Richwoods) and Danville. One would assume because they are matching up like teams between the two conferences Chatham would play Richwoods and Southeast against Urbana. A nice draw for the Titans....
I have been screaming for a non-conference game or two to be added for years. This allows for more playoff points, and seeding benefits, come October. As it stood previously, a 9-0 CS8 champ can ONLY get 36 playoff points maximum. There are thirty-five 8-1 teams with more points than the undefeated CS8 champ. This means seeding is affected. #1 seeded Carterville should have NEVER been seeded higher than SHG. Rochester proved that convincingly.

I have been screaming for a non-conference game or two to be added for years. This allows for more playoff points, and seeding benefits, come October. As it stood previously, a 9-0 CS8 champ can ONLY get 36 playoff points maximum. There are thirty-five 8-1 teams with more points than the undefeated CS8 champ. This means seeding is affected. #1 seeded Carterville should have NEVER been seeded higher than SHG. Rochester proved that convincingly.
Given the power of modern computers. I find it incomprehensible that IHSA can't find a better way of seeding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT