ADVERTISEMENT

Class 8A Game Talk here

Ball hit the LWE player before he made contact that’s why it wasn’t called
Originally Posted by 2009 Case Book
6.5.6 SITUATION D
: K1’s punt is high but short. R2, from well down field, runs
toward the ball to get in position to attempt to catch it. K2 is also moving toward
the ball or just standing there when: (a) K2 is contacted by R2; or (b) K2 causes
R2 to veer away from the ball but there is no contact by K2. The ball strikes the
ground and is recovered by R3. RULING: K2 has committed kick-catching interference
in both (a) and (b) since K2 did not provide R2 an unmolested opportunity
to catch the ball

Reactions: ignazio
I find it funny that we somehow have a better look on Tv than an official standing 20 feet away.
Well the line judges actions walking back from his original 2 yard gain spot showed me he didn’t see it too well either

Reactions: ignazio
Originally Posted by 2009 Case Book
6.5.6 SITUATION D
: K1’s punt is high but short. R2, from well down field, runs
toward the ball to get in position to attempt to catch it. K2 is also moving toward
the ball or just standing there when: (a) K2 is contacted by R2; or (b) K2 causes
R2 to veer away from the ball but there is no contact by K2. The ball strikes the
ground and is recovered by R3. RULING: K2 has committed kick-catching interference
in both (a) and (b) since K2 did not provide R2 an unmolested opportunity
to catch the ball
So what is the ruling if it hits the K team (1st touching) before he makes contact with the returner? I think that’s what the back judge saw and why it wasn’t flagged. As a back judge it’s the first thing I’m looking at.

Its no wonder they have to run commercials begging for people to sign up to become an official.

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
Ball hit the LWE player before he made contact that’s why it wasn’t called
Wrong:
When a kick is in flight, K is prohibited from hindering R’s ability to catch the ball until the ball touches the ground or any player of R. In determining if kick-catching interference (“KCI”) has occurred, the ball must be in the air and in a certain part of the field, depending on the type of kick.

So what is the ruling if it hits the K team (1st touching) before he makes contact with the returner? I think that’s what the back judge saw and why it wasn’t flagged. As a back judge it’s the first thing I’m looking at.
It’s kick catch interference by definition because the receiving team was not given unmolested access to the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT