ADVERTISEMENT

Calling Steve Soucie

He’s great but that’s not the same thing.
Does it really matter? What does projecting the first round matchups matter in week 7? Your guess is as good as mine, which is as good as any. We don’t know what will happen in week 8 or 9 so, regardless of your accuracy, it doesn’t matter. It’s like CFB rankings in week 3 or 7. They don’t matter. It’s all for us who are passionate about the sport to wax poetic about. So Soucie, Edgy, Catch, Micah or whomever. The thing is it doesn’t matter.

Does it really matter? What does projecting the first round matchups matter in week 7? Your guess is as good as mine, which is as good as any. We don’t know what will happen in week 8 or 9 so, regardless of your accuracy, it doesn’t matter. It’s like CFB rankings in week 3 or 7. They don’t matter. It’s all for us who are passionate about the sport to wax poetic about. So Soucie, Edgy, Catch, Micah or whomever. The thing is it doesn’t matter.
Don’t know what you want me to say here, I don’t want to come off as a jerk but yeah I think it matters to most here.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Don’t know what you want me to say here, I don’t want to come off as a jerk but yeah I think it matters to most here.
I said as much. I love seeing them as well. I love all of the rankings. HS, NFL, CFB. Catch has done a fantastic job as does Soucie. But does it matter? Until next Saturday night it doesn’t. And then it does and what Catch and Soucie say doesn’t. That’s my point.

I said as much. I love seeing them as well. I love all of the rankings. HS, NFL, CFB. Catch has done a fantastic job as does Soucie. But does it matter? Until next Saturday night it doesn’t. And then it does and what Catch and Soucie say doesn’t. That’s my point.
The thing is I know there are plenty of coach lurkers here. When souc would put out his projections teams would start sending out scouts about week 7. To gather 3 weeks of film on a handful of teams.

Because it's fun, that's why. And it does matter to the teams that are on the bubble. Not every 5-4 team gets in. Some teams are on the 7a/8a or the 6a/7a attendance bubble. We are entering week nine so projecting is easier and can now be done more accurately.

Does Soucie still put out those projections and they’re just behind a paywall now? If that’s the case then anyone looking for them can pay the subscription fee to whatever site he is posting them in and they can then send out scouts starting in week 7 to get reports on those projected teams.

The thing is I know there are plenty of coach lurkers here. When souc would put out his projections teams would start sending out scouts about week 7. To gather 3 weeks of film on a handful of teams.
Agree 100%. Soucie is awesome no doubt. But it’s all conjecture in weeks 4-7. Week 8 and 9 is different as there are far less variables to change the equation.

Because it's fun, that's why. And it does matter to the teams that are on the bubble. Not every 5-4 team gets in. Some teams are on the 7a/8a or the 6a/7a attendance bubble. We are entering week nine so projecting is easier and can now be done more accurately.
I said as much. I love seeing it every week and it’s something I look forward to 100%. But Catch’s posts are awesome just like Soucie’s used to be.

Reactions: NNFAN
We are not talking about rankings. This is about projecting seeding and class assignment. godfthr53 is right... schools can start scouting teams that they think are possible round 1 opponents.

We are not talking about rankings. This is about projecting seeding and class assignment. godfthr53 is right... schools can start scouting teams that they think are possible round 1 opponents.
My original post ITT was in response to someone asking for a Soucie-esque playoff post. I said we already have it with @Catch--22. And it’s turned into this debate.

As for what we are talking about….it 100% about rankings. Soucie puts out his bracket and we all love it. In 8A, he lists teams 1-32, no? Is that a ranking or is there another term for it that I am missing?

Regardless, it’s playoff time 6 days from now. And that’s a glorious thing. Looking forward to a great game on the Southside Friday.

My original post ITT was in response to someone asking for a Soucie-esque playoff post. I said we already have it with @Catch--22. And it’s turned into this debate.

As for what we are talking about….it 100% about rankings. Soucie puts out his bracket and we all love it. In 8A, he lists teams 1-32, no? Is that a ranking or is there another term for it that I am missing?

Regardless, it’s playoff time 6 days from now. And that’s a glorious thing. Looking forward to a great game on the Southside Friday.
When Soucie or the IHSA would SEED the teams 1-32 to create a bracket, it's based on record and playoff points. All 9-0 teams are always seeded above 8-1 and so on. If the Dingletop Inchworms have a better record than Loyola (thanks to a weak schedule) they would be seeded above them.

When Soucie or the IHSA would SEED the teams 1-32 to create a bracket, it's based on record and playoff points. All 9-0 teams are always seeded above 8-1 and so on. If the Dingletop Inchworms have a better record than Loyola (thanks to a weak schedule) they would be seeded above them.
Agree. Always have. Seeded. Ranking. Who cares. It’s playoff season.

Here's where we differ. I never read catch 22 post. I just don't like looking at what the playoffs would be today. Everything changes week to week. Having games projected at least put a more realistic field out there.

It matters to me. I find it extremely interesting.

Anyone running the stock market Playoff Pick'em game this year? That was one of the coolest things I saw a few years back.

It matters to me as well. Catch and Soucie try to put the puzzle together each week and I love it.
I think what the point that was trying to be made is that any prediction that relies on someone predicting the winner of every game in the state for any week is not actually worth any value outside of fun observations. If one single prediction is wrong, it could mean one team moves then the dominos fall for for 255 other teams. Every match up would change because of 1 wrong guess, and some would even be moving divisions.

I still love the predictions because I'm a dork and it's fun to have something to talk about. But I know it's completely worthless. Of the ones I've read, my home team has had a different match up every week and been bounced in and out of 2 divisions twice. I still like it, but I know it's no REAL value.

Back when Lake Park was having some success, I enjoyed trying to determine who our likely first round opponent would be. Since we are an 8A team the process was a lot easier. Starting about week 6, if it looked like we had a chance to make the playoffs, I would try to narrow down the possible opponents. We would then start looking at scouting or getting film on that group. It was always great fun to try to make those predictions. (I predicted Homewood-Flossmoor when we last qualified)

I now have a friend who has a son playing for Nazareth. Trying to narrow down the list of opponents for them [if they beat Benet] is nearly impossible. Not knowing the Class cut-offs means too many variables need to be considered, including whether the seeding will be 1-32 or geographic.

Reactions: Hfbfan
What conference are the Inchworms in? This board hasn't adopted a team since the Fisher Bunnies a few years back.

NNfan, you could have just said South Elgin. No need to call them Dingletop Inchworms, lol

Reactions: Bowie50
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT