ADVERTISEMENT

Byron vs Montini

That's true, sometimes you're havin and sometimes you havint. Then you know that Byron is a significantly better team than Princeton this year.
My basis had nothing to do with scores but who they have played

well we will just have to wait till Saturday to see if I know what I’m talking about, by the way, I’m tied for first place in the 3A Edgy pic em so I must know something.
I fondly remember when Montini beat Sterling in 2021 and you proclaimed that Montini would running clock every team they played in the playoffs… Montini ended up going 3-6 that season. Fun fact… ICCP beat Montini that year. You know who knocked ICCP out of the playoffs? Byron.

I fondly remember when Montini beat Sterling in 2021 and you proclaimed that Montini would running clock every team they played in the playoffs… Montini ended up going 3-6 that season. Fun fact… ICCP beat Montini that year. You know who knocked ICCP out of the playoffs? Byron.
What happened last year with ICCP and Byron

Another reason I pick Byron is I think you really need at least one star player on your team to make it to the finals and win state.

Byron has Considine, Mt Carmel has Sisson and I am not familiar with Roxana.

Montini always had at least that one star player during their deep runs in the past but this year's team has no stars.

Montini Jr/Sr class did have a couple stars but one left to IMG Academy and is a Georgia commit and the other left and will play for Notre Dame next year.

I just feel you need at least one star on the team to make it to the finals. Hopefully I am.wrong about this.
Montini has two all staters this year…… did you say you were a bronco fan?

That's nice for the kids but can't say that it means all that much. Some coaches will nominate most of their team and others won't nominate any and who knows who makes the final call on who makes the all state team.

Marian Central Catholic in 2A had 2 make all state as well and they didn't even make the playoffs. 2A has 6 QBs, 5A has 3 QBs that made it and 6A had 4 QBs. So while its a nice honor there's no guarantee that being all state makes you a game changer because no one knows what qualifications it takes to make the team.

That's nice for the kids but can't say that it means all that much. Some coaches will nominate most of their team and others won't nominate any and who knows who makes the final call on who makes the all state team.

Marian Central Catholic in 2A had 2 make all state as well and they didn't even make the playoffs. 2A has 6 QBs, 5A has 3 QBs that made it and 6A had 4 QBs. So while its a nice honor there's no guarantee that being all state makes you a game changer because no one knows what qualifications it takes to make the team.
You’re right who knows what qualifications it takes to be all state. Probably just popularity contest. Alas let’s hope the Broncos can find a star this week during practice or else they’re toast! ( don’t tell the other 10 kids though)

Reactions: 4Afan
Don't throw facts at him. He will just pout and cry even harder 😭

Reactions: Geneseo Football

Who are the all state kids?

Did you know my definition of star player? Someone who can take it to the house on any play.

Think you may be confusing all state and star player?

Last edited:
That was a fun fact
Don't throw facts at him. He will just pout and cry even harder 😭
whos pouting and crying? Geez, just making a prediction and I hope my prediction is wrong, although I have much respect for Montini I’d like to see Byron win.

Reactions: Gestalt45
Montini better win this! I made a bold prediction of no less than 4 trophies for the conference. We only have one true guarantee in 5a so need to make sure we have all the finalists we can get.

That being said as much as I love Saturday after thanksgiving because that’s typically when Naz plays. I really enjoy watching the Friday games during my half day at work. You get to see a lot of talent that you normally wouldn’t hear about all season long on this board. I do think a team that can throw the ball has the edge though as I feel like the 1a-3a games always have at least one participant in each game that runs some form of wing style run heavy offense.

Reactions: Gestalt45 and USD24
My basis had nothing to do with scores but who they have played

well we will just have to wait till Saturday to see if I know what I’m talking about, by the way, I’m tied for first place in the 3A Edgy pic em so I must know something.
Find out what on Saturday? You were saying Princeton is better than Byron, based on your extensive film study or studying level of competition, not sure which. So you expect Byron to get worked more than Princeton did, who had them at home while Byron goes to Lombard. Got it.

Find out what on Saturday? You were saying Princeton is better than Byron, based on your extensive film study or studying level of competition, not sure which. So you expect Byron to get worked more than Princeton did, who had them at home while Byron goes to Lombard. Got it.
Not once did I say Princeton was better than Byron. I said Princeton
Blew out everyone in the same fashion Byron did. Period.

Some stats

Byron played 4 playoff teams
Princeton played 4 playoff teams - lost to Morrison

Byron averaged 59.7 ppg and gave up 5 ppg

Princeton averaged 37.7 ppg and gave up 4.7

Byron was more dominant against roughly the same level of competition.

Byron finished with 36 playoff points
Princeton with 43

Not sure I see where Princeton is equal to or better than Byron.

One other thing. Princeton played almost exclusively 1A and 2A schools in the TRCC

Byron has two 1A schools in its league the rest were 3a and above.

Again I’m failing to see the comparison.

Not once did I say Princeton was better than Byron. I said Princeton
Blew out everyone in the same fashion Byron did. Period.
You heavily implied that Princeton is equal to Byron, which implies that you didn't watch the teams play, because they're not. You will claim that you implied nothing of the sort in your response to this comment. Can't gaslight a gaslighter so save your breath on that

One last stat

Byron is 3-9 all time in the playoffs vs Catholic schools

Princeton is 1-7 all time and 0-2 vs Byron in the post season.

I don’t think comparing these two programs is very fair to Princeton. They don’t have much of a history like Byron does.

Some stats

Byron played 4 playoff teams
Princeton played 4 playoff teams - lost to Morrison

Byron averaged 59.7 ppg and gave up 5 ppg

Princeton averaged 37.7 ppg and gave up 4.7

Byron was more dominant against roughly the same level of competition.

Byron finished with 36 playoff points
Princeton with 43

Not sure I see where Princeton is equal to or better than Byron.

One other thing. Princeton played almost exclusively 1A and 2A schools in the TRCC

Byron has two 1A schools in its league the rest were 3a and above.

Again I’m failing to see the comparison.l

I simply used the analogy that Princeton blew out all their opponents as well until they met Montini, and in my opinion had a tougher schedule, I didn’t say Princeton was better than Byron. I really don’t care either way I have no dog in the fight, I’m allowed an opinion. But one thing I know for sure is if Montini wins this game I I win the Edgy 3A bracket challenge if Byron wins another guy wins it so I must not be too bad at calling it how I see it. That’s all I’m going to contribute in this conversation until Saturday

Montini historically struggles against running teams as seen vs JCA, Prairie Ridge and St Rita.

This Montini team is nowhere as good as their other deep run playoff teams. Byron by 17.
as long as we’re digging deep… Didn’t they hold the vaunted 2008 JCA offense with Malin Jones and Ty Issac to 21 points in the finals ?
Ok they deserve it.They are good players.

I think the previous poster is getting all state and my definition of star player confused.
forgive me if I thought all state and your definition of star player are synonymous. I’ll be sure to check your criteria first next time!

I simply used the analogy that Princeton blew out all their opponents as well until they met Montini, and in my opinion had a tougher schedule, I didn’t say Princeton was better than Byron. I really don’t care either way I have no dog in the fight, I’m allowed an opinion. But one thing I know for sure is if Montini wins this game I I win the Edgy 3A bracket challenge if Byron wins another guy wins it so I must not be too bad at calling it how I see it. That’s all I’m going to contribute in this conversation until Saturday
Good luck to you!

JMO, this is a good Montini team and I’m glad they woke up after a few down years. But it’s not the Montini teams of the past. I think Byron gets them by 2 TDS, close for a half or more but they pull away.

I see this as a close game and unlike most games I think the first half will decide it. If Montini can slow down Byron's offense, will that frustrate them since they haven't been slowed down all season? Will Byron be able to finish off their drives like Princeton could not? If it's low scoring and close at the half, Montini has the advantage, if Byron gets up by 2 scores I don't know if Montini will be able to comeback.

Don't get me wrong Montini had great moments and wins against JCA when it counted the most.

I'm looking at the total picture of all the games these two teams met. Lately Montini has no success against JCA. Their latest defensive scheme has been to line up 10 or 11 players right on the line of scrimmage standing next to each other. JCA just runs up the middle and runs through the defense.
It’s a bold strategy cotton let’s see if it pays off!

I think if we compared last year’s Princeton team to Byron then it would be a very close comparison. I don’t think Princeton was quite as good this year, and I don’t think they are close to Byron as a program just yet. Lotta love for my former NCIC brethren though.

As far as Montini - Byron matchup, there’s no doubt about it, Montini has faced 4-5 teams (and won some) better than the best team Byron has played. It isn’t close. That’s not a knock on small town teams, it’s reality.

I think Byron wins the game as they are just an elite program, but won’t be surprised if it goes other way.

as long as we’re digging deep… Didn’t they hold the vaunted 2008 JCA offense with Malin Jones and Ty Issac to 21 points in the finals ?

forgive me if I thought all state and your definition of star player are synonymous. I’ll be sure to check your criteria first next time!
Didn’t Isaac rush for 515 yards against them in 2011? 🤡🤡🤡🤡

I think this could be a fun game to watch. Byron tends to come out of the gate swinging. Their line hits like hammers and they have kids in the backfield who run hard and run fast. They land a few big hits early and then settle into grinding out drives. Montini could be in trouble if this happens. On the flip side, Montini has the horses to swing back and grind out some drives of their own. Also, Byron's kickoff team showed some cracks last week. Who's to say Montini can't explote that early to either steal a score or force Byron to kick the ball shorter, giving Montini good field position.

If Byron jumps out front with a couple of quick scores and then makes Montini have to drive the field and chew a lot of clock doing so...Tigers will punch their ticket. Montini trades blows early and can steal some decent field positioning later in the game...then they will set themselves up to win.

I see this as a close game and unlike most games I think the first half will decide it. If Montini can slow down Byron's offense, will that frustrate them since they haven't been slowed down all season? Will Byron be able to finish off their drives like Princeton could not? If it's low scoring and close at the half, Montini has the advantage, if Byron gets up by 2 scores I don't know if Montini will be able to comeback.
I disagree it will be decided in the first half, Byron probably hasint played their starters for all 4 quarters in a game all year. They may not be used to playing all 4 q
I think it will be close up to the half but Montini ultimately pulls it off in the second half, just like the Princeton game. lol

I think this could be a fun game to watch. Byron tends to come out of the gate swinging. Their line hits like hammers and they have kids in the backfield who run hard and run fast. They land a few big hits early and then settle into grinding out drives. Montini could be in trouble if this happens. On the flip side, Montini has the horses to swing back and grind out some drives of their own. Also, Byron's kickoff team showed some cracks last week. Who's to say Montini can't explote that early to either steal a score or force Byron to kick the ball shorter, giving Montini good field position.

If Byron jumps out front with a couple of quick scores and then makes Montini have to drive the field and chew a lot of clock doing so...Tigers will punch their ticket. Montini trades blows early and can steal some decent field positioning later in the game...then they will set themselves up to win.
Great summary! Should be an epic matchup

Reactions: boylanfan33
I’m leaning towards attending this game Pondered Normal @ DGN but seems like everyone think DGN wins easily

You're allowed an opinion, but it was a wrong opinion.

It was a good guess. The game was never decided until there was a couple minutes left in the game.

Congratulations to Byron and good luck down state!
I didn’t realize Montini didn’t have a passing game or it could have been different. That interception Montin through in the end zone hurt. I’ll admit Byron moved the ball easier than I thought they would and were better than I thought but at any rate Byron didn’t put up 50+ points this time.
Congrats to Byron

Reactions: Wassup13
I didn’t realize Montini didn’t have a passing game or it could have been different. That interception Montin through in the end zone hurt. I’ll admit Byron moved the ball easier than I thought they would and were better than I thought but at any rate Byron didn’t put up 50+ points this time.
Congrats to Byron
That jealousy is going to eat a hole thru your stomach if you let it.

It was a good guess. The game was never decided until there was a couple minutes left in the game.

Congratulations to Byron and good luck down state!
Nonsense. He claimed montini would win easily, while acknowledging he knew nothing about either team - "I still say Montini wins by two scores. I honestly don’t have a clue on either team but just an opinion on a public 3A school playing a CCL team that usually plays up with the big boys."

Then he backtracked this and based his claim on extensive film study - "I’ve seen both teams play. Don’t assume I havint[sic]".

Finally, he claimed to be an expert on the subject - "well we will just have to wait till Saturday to see if I know what I’m talking about, by the way, I’m tied for first place in the 3A Edgy pic em so I must know something."

He's got his crow, he should be eating it by now.

Reactions: chiliconcarne2
Nonsense. He claimed montini would win easily, while acknowledging he knew nothing about either team - "I still say Montini wins by two scores. I honestly don’t have a clue on either team but just an opinion on a public 3A school playing a CCL team that usually plays up with the big boys."

Then he backtracked this and based his claim on extensive film study - "I’ve seen both teams play. Don’t assume I havint[sic]".

Finally, he claimed to be an expert on the subject - "well we will just have to wait till Saturday to see if I know what I’m talking about, by the way, I’m tied for first place in the 3A Edgy pic em so I must know something."

He's got his crow, he should be eating it by now.

I dont know As a Montini fan I picked Byron by 17

The fact Montini was running the ball so much and eating clock I felt was minimizing the possessions for the talented Byron RBs.

Reactions: boylanfan33
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT