ADVERTISEMENT

Gettis Leaves O'Fallon

crusader_of_90

Nov 1, 2003
Sauget, IL
archviewsecurity.com
What is he still processing if this was his call?

Byron Gettis resigned late last week as head coach of the O'Fallon Township football team.

"O'Fallon was good to me," Gettis said. "The school and the community have great kids, but it was time for me to step down."
Gettis, a former Kansas City Royals outfielder, compiled a 24-18 record with two Class 8A playoff appearances in 2021 and 2022 since taking the Panthers' helm in 2019.

His best season was an 8-2 campaign in 2022. Against Southwestern Conference opponents, Gettis led the Panthers to 14 wins.
The Panthers went 4-5 last season and missed the playoffs after losing in their regular-season finale against Cahokia.

Gettis expressed a desire to continue coaching, but said he is taking his time to look at his options.
"I'm still processing everything and (will) move on from there," Gettis said.

Gettis, 43, submitted his resignation Dec. 5. Along with resigning as football coach, he stepped down from his positions as diversity coordinator and handling truancy and residency issues for the district.

... in his resignation letter to the school board, he wrote that there were two players involved and said “I appreciate the opportunity to resign for this conduct instead of being terminated.” The letter states he told O’Fallon Township High School Superintendent Beth Shackelford that “I allowed two students to enroll at OTHS while knowing that their residency was not proper and I allowed those students to participate in OTHS football.”

Gettis declined to name the player he referenced to in the interview but said he “rarely played” and the circumstances had “nothing to do” with the school trying to gain “a competitive advantage.”

Read more at: https://www.bnd.com/news/local/education/article283008818.html#storylink=cpy

said he “rarely played” and the circumstances had “nothing to do” with the school trying to gain “a competitive advantage.”
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

I wonder if O’Fallon’s wins will be overturned. I hate to see this at the high school level. Hopefully more gets done about this kind of thing.

Sounds like he felll on the sword before he got the axe! Sad that he made some bad decisions that cost him his job. I am sure there is more to this story, it’s only a matter of time before it gets out. I am not sure but it comes across that he is hiding something and is trying to squash it before it comes out. Maybe not? The entire thing is terrible. Sounds like he was a good guy and good coach but obviously made bad decisions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT