ADVERTISEMENT

Byron vs Montini

boylanfan33

Jul 25, 2009
Anybody have insight or thoughts on this game? The level of competition is definitely in Montini's favor, but Byron wasn't exactly just squeaking by their opponents either.

This one makes me nervous. Princeton contained Montini in the first half Saturday, and like many run heavy teams, couldn't get back into the game without having a reliable passing game when MCHS took a 2 score lead.

Byron is absolutely manhandling teams, but that could go in MCHS favor. I'm not sure they have played a close game all year, so that pressure could help the Broncos.

Should be a great game, looking forward to it!

Reactions: Gene K.
This one makes me nervous. Princeton contained Montini in the first half Saturday, and like many run heavy teams, couldn't get back into the game without having a reliable passing game when MCHS took a 2 score lead.

Byron is absolutely manhandling teams, but that could go in MCHS favor. I'm not sure they have played a close game all year, so that pressure could help the Broncos.

Should be a great game, looking forward to it!
Do you know if Montini will stream the game?

Montini must play mistake free to have a chance to win - no turnovers or penalties.

I got Byron in this one. They beat their opponents by an average of 55 points this year. They are a well known playoff team. They were tough opponents back in the day for the Driscoll 7x State Champs.

Reactions: McEvergreen
I got Byron in this one. They beat their opponents by an average of 55 points this year. They are a well known playoff team. They were tough opponents back in the day for the Driscoll 7x State Champs.
I think they already surpassed the state scoring record with 2 games left to go.

Reactions: Wassup13
Byron has been putting up Basketball numbers all season no doubt I respect them for real. Montini will punish Byron and this is a away game for the Tigers so it wont be a watered down grass field. Broncos by 2 scores

I think he meant for playoffs.
Peoria scored 290 points in the 2016 playoffs, which is 100 more than Bryon has scored so far. That number is incredible. There are schools that dont score that many points in a 3 year span.

Their best RB is a sophomore the coaches kid. The other wing is a sophomore and one is a junior - QB and other RB are seniors. 37 the coaches kid is a load and fast
This is good for the Future, I don't see then beating down Montini, I could be wrong.

They can ball on "D" too! Points allowed season = 67
Defense is good against Small School, They wouldn't do that against NAZ or STL or PC all 3 are still in playoffs BTW, So allowing 67 points against a weak conference doesn't say much.

Peoria scored 290 points in the 2016 playoffs, which is 100 more than Bryon has scored so far. That number is incredible. There are schools that dont score that many points in a 3 year span.
Those are insane numbers, forgot about that Peoria team and they scored at will.

For what it’s worth - Calpreps projects Byron 35 vs Montini 28. Montini needs to play better than they did against Princeton.

Defense is good against Small School, They wouldn't do that against NAZ or STL or PC all 3 are still in playoffs BTW, So allowing 67 points against a weak conference doesn't say much.
Well they don’t have to. Their conference is usually stronger and they are locked in their league which doesn’t help. They have beaten IC in the past so what they do and have done has worked.

I see the same argument when PR and CG have to play the providences of the world and for the most part they seem to have done just fine.

Their best RB is a sophomore the coaches kid. The other wing is a sophomore and one is a junior - QB and other RB are seniors. 37 the coaches kid is a load and fast
The thing that surprised me about them is the overall team speed you don’t usually see it at the small school level. They look really good, Montini will match up with them better then most but Byron is pretty impressive.

The thing that surprised me about them is the overall team speed you don’t usually see it at the small school level. They look really good, Montini will match up with them better then most but Byron is pretty impressive.
I think there is a general misunderstanding that small school means less talented.

We kind of get into this every year in the playoffs. Schools like Byron and Lena and Rochester populate D1 schools every year and yet we still seem to be surprised at their talent levels.

I think there is a general misunderstanding that small school means less talented.

We kind of get into this every year in the playoffs. Schools like Byron and Lena and Rochester populate D1 schools every year and yet we still seem to be surprised at their talent levels.
Small schools aren’t less talented the difference is in the depth of talent and thats just from numbers in the program. Usually small schools 3-4 deep with studs and are surrounded by a bunch high quality players, Bryon appears to be well past the 3-4 players this year.

For what it’s worth - Calpreps projects Byron 35 vs Montini 28. Montini needs to play better than they did against Princeton.
The Massey matchup tool has Montini winning 30-28. On a neutral field it would be Byron by 1; but with Montini at home the prediction is Montini by 2. The Big Northern Conference was down this year (other than Byron), and the CCL/ESCC-White was up (with three teams in the semifinals). Providence is in the 5A semifinals, St. Laurence in the 4A semifinals, and Montini in the 3A semifinals. Those three schools tied for the conference championship. Still, this seems to be a special Byron team with no team they have played coming closer than 36 points all year.

I will (as my own guess) set the spread at Byron by 7-1/2 points. This game just might be a classic.

Last edited:
I've been to at least a dozen playoff games at Byron going all the way back to Everett Stine and have never seen a watered down field or anything else hokey going on.
I don’t know if it was intentional or just from overuse, but I’ve seen Wilmo go up there once and Reed-Custer twice, and each time the field was a slick, muddy mess.

Reactions: Irish LB
I don’t know much about either team other than past performance and who they have played this year. That said, Byron has not seen near the same competition Montini has, even though they are blowing teams out I think that stops against Montini and it will be a similar result of the Princeton game with Montini winning by 2 scores or so.

I don’t know much about either team other than past performance and who they have played this year. That said, Byron has not seen near the same competition Montini has, even though they are blowing teams out I think that stops against Montini and it will be a similar result of the Princeton game with Montini winning by 2 scores or so.

No if Montini wins it will be by a point or two.

Byron's schedule is the same as always and they do usually perform well in the playoffs. I got Byron by 17. They usually beat teams by 55 points this year.

I got Byron vs Mt Carmel for the 3A Title.

I think the key will be if Byron can score on Montini, especially early. Princeton shut Montini out in the first half, if Byron can do that plus put up a few scores it may make it hard for Montini to come back. Princeton was able to move the ball on Montini they just couldn't finish drives.

Reactions: McEvergreen
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT