ADVERTISEMENT

BR VS MARIST

BR still has a better overall historical record head to head vs Marist. Rice plays in CCL Blue vs ESCC - Rice won a state championship in Football - Marist still pulling a Marv Levy
Yes, we know, Marist pulled a Marv Levy in both of its last two state final games, but both of those Marist teams were Cinderella teams...ultimately facing an opponent in the finals (Maine South and Loyola) whose "destiny" was the State title that year, no question. They lost to really, really good teams. However, I still give credit to the Marist coaches and the players just for getting there. Both great post season runs.

As a footnote, the year Rice won their only State title ('81) they lost to Marist.

Reactions: krock the house
Your criticism of these 17 yr old kids is very specific, and very classless. Get a life weirdo. It's Badke's fault for BR's shortcomings.
They are big boys now and can handle it.
Do you even know where Rice football let alone the school would be if Badke didn't take the job? In the gutter and brink of closing
Trust me
Tell me a better options
And no name calling it hurts

Krock - as a Rice alum - calling out high school players at the time by name is bush league. C'mon - it goes all ways. However, a kid performs how his coach motivates him and coaches him. If there were issues with a player's performance/attitude, then Badke should not have played them nor recruited them in first place. Yes injuries happen but happen all over. So enough of the Badke kneepads. Badke knows he and his staff dropped the ball big time on those playoff losses - the one to Palatine was pure coaching F up. The loss at home to Loyola in regular season was another gaffe (having kid attempt to pass end of half which led to fumble and quick LA score). This year is a big year for this team - no excuses, it's win or go home. In the case of a new President coming in, Brian and his staff are going to be looked at closely - no one is safe Krock. I think you'd agree with the amount of returning Badke players on the field, if they don't at least do a 6-3 (unless beset by massive injuries) you'd call that underperforming from a team level and a team starts with its coach correct?

Reactions: go_rice
They are big boys now and can handle it.
Do you even know where Rice football let alone the school would be if Badke didn't take the job? In the gutter and brink of closing
Trust me
Tell me a better options
And no name calling it hurts

Badke seems to be good for the school.. I think he's only an average football coach at best. He's the ccl version of Ron zook. He can get that talent in the door just can't produce with it. And as far as calling kids out in my opinion below the belt. But at least be fair with it. Badke cost the team the game vs Loyola in 16 by going for it before half.

Reactions: go_rice and Topiary
Krock - as a Rice alum - calling out high school players at the time by name is bush league. C'mon - it goes all ways. However, a kid performs how his coach motivates him and coaches him. If there were issues with a player's performance/attitude, then Badke should not have played them nor recruited them in first place. Yes injuries happen but happen all over. So enough of the Badke kneepads. Badke knows he and his staff dropped the ball big time on those playoff losses - the one to Palatine was pure coaching F up. The loss at home to Loyola in regular season was another gaffe (having kid attempt to pass end of half which led to fumble and quick LA score). This year is a big year for this team - no excuses, it's win or go home. In the case of a new President coming in, Brian and his staff are going to be looked at closely - no one is safe Krock. I think you'd agree with the amount of returning Badke players on the field, if they don't at least do a 6-3 (unless beset by massive injuries) you'd call that underperforming from a team level and a team starts with its coach correct?
Dead on the mark Topiary & you didn’t even mention the Fremd loss which was probably the hardest one to swallow of the losses. That was supposed to be the team.

Get over the calling out by name, these kids are soph in college now. You wont hear me mention another kid by name.
Anyway, Of course at the end of the day the coach takes the fall or gets the credit.
Badkes team should of won games that were lost and it was due to coaching. There so many positives that Badke brings to the table

My point of all this and I will let it die is...give me a better options? Remember if he goes the funding goes with him. Topiary, I would guess you understand that better then anyone.

To hang that sort of "if he goes then funding goes" is met with "ok then funding goes" There are others to court to replace Brian's Sugar Daddy (or Brother perhaps)?

Reactions: ESCC Alum
I will say the Palatine lost biggest factors were too many kids going both ways and really bad calls

To hang that sort of "if he goes then funding goes" is met with "ok then funding goes" There are others to court to replace Brian's Sugar Daddy (or Brother perhaps)?
Well Its the truth and there goes the talent, so you pick.
No one and I mean no one will replace the current funding from the so called Sugar Daddy as you call it.

Yes so you don't answer the question previously posed on what record you think justifies keeping Brian (another losing record?) and then deflect to your safe ultimatim answer. Brian is busy most of the time doing his day job and isn't able to do the recruiting he did when he was in the building. So let's see how the season plays out. Per prior notes, I support Brian but this is a telling season

the beauty of all this and just like anything else, winning solves all.
Rice wins a close one this Friday.

We agree - I think the rivalry factor, the home field advantage, the health status (knock on wood no jinxies) of Rice, the OL and DL/LB advantages will make a difference. I'm guessing a TD separates the winner.

Krock (Sugar Daddy) is just protecting Brian. His funding goes to support quite a bit but to say that talent goes does not hold water.

Krock (Sugar Daddy) is just protecting Brian. His funding goes to support quite a bit but to say that talent goes does not hold water.

Just putting his logic into perspective, and I was insinuating something a little more nefarious. Looks like we all agree Brian and Sugar Daddy are great "recruiters"...

Yes so you don't answer the question previously posed on what record you think justifies keeping Brian (another losing record?) and then deflect to your safe ultimatim answer. Brian is busy most of the time doing his day job and isn't able to do the recruiting he did when he was in the building. So let's see how the season plays out. Per prior notes, I support Brian but this is a telling season
close but no cigar, I wish I had that kind of loot. I'm just close to the situation.
I would protect badke and what he stands for.

Again I think Brian is an honorable man and proud alum. Unfortunately coaching is weighted more on success on the field than off. I believe Brian will have a good year this year and lead them into the playoffs

Reactions: krock the house
The OL kid is back but down a lot of weight due to illness. Wish him well as he was D1 talent all the way.

I think Badke leaves after the season on his own similar to the guys at Marist recently.

The OL kid is back but down a lot of weight due to illness. Wish him well as he was D1 talent all the way.

I think Badke leaves after the season on his own similar to the guys at Marist recently.
feel for the kid but looks ready to go. Badke wont leave

Again I think Brian is an honorable man and proud alum. Unfortunately coaching is weighted more on success on the field than off. I believe Brian will have a good year this year and lead them into the playoffs

An alum told me Rice has their guy as new President...retired alum didn't work at Rita and MC is not riding high with the same move. Hopefully Rice has a different game plan. Burns was a public school guy who could run a school and but could not fundraise.

An alum told me Rice has their guy as new President...retired alum didn't work at Rita and MC is not riding high with the same move. Hopefully Rice has a different game plan. Burns was a public school guy who could run a school and but could not fundraise.

Didn’t work at Rita? That’s one of the worst, false statements I’ve seen on this site. St. Rita has never been stronger. More test takers than seats. New Basketball Court, new $5.5 million fitness center, and new baseball club house. Plans are being drawn up on a full Football stadium remodel with new stands, offices, locker room structure. Mortgage paid down, maybe even paid off (don’t know, not on finance committee but I know any debt burden is minimal), endowment exponentially increased. Other school administrators visited over the summer to see how St. Rita is pulling off an enrollment and capital increase while other institutions are downsizing.

Ernie Mrozek and the staff and alumni have done incredible work in the past decade and the future is phenomenal on 77th and Western. I wish BR and MC the same success as St. Rita during their transitions and challenges because I believe in all-boy Catholic education and I believe in their people.

Ref, man call St. Rita, take a tour. It’s a great success story. Were there hard decisions to make, did some feelings get hurt? Who knows, probably. I don’t know what stories you heard or where you get your info but man, to say having an alum run the school didn’t work out at Rita is 100% false.

Reactions: Gene K.
Marist fans, if he stays, your future looks bright. Your freshman QB is the talk of the neighborhood, he tore up BR Freshman for 42 points and BR Fresh are a good team.

Reactions: USD24
Didn’t work at Rita? That’s one of the worst, false statements I’ve seen on this site. St. Rita has never been stronger. More test takers than seats. New Basketball Court, new $5.5 million fitness center, and new baseball club house. Plans are being drawn up on a full Football stadium remodel with new stands, offices, locker room structure. Mortgage paid down, maybe even paid off (don’t know, not on finance committee but I know any debt burden is minimal), endowment exponentially increased. Other school administrators visited over the summer to see how St. Rita is pulling off an enrollment and capital increase while other institutions are downsizing.

Ernie Mrozek and the staff and alumni have done incredible work in the past decade and the future is phenomenal on 77th and Western. I wish BR and MC the same success as St. Rita during their transitions and challenges because I believe in all-boy Catholic education and I believe in their people.

Ref, man call St. Rita, take a tour. It’s a great success story. Were there hard decisions to make, did some feelings get hurt? Who knows, probably. I don’t know what stories you heard or where you get your info but man, to say having an alum run the school didn’t work out at Rita is 100% false.

I understand that to be the case but felt it was more through the hard work of Galetto. Wasn't slamming Mrozek as he is still Board President so he has remained in tune and wasn't ridden out of town. Maybe my timing is off and if so I do apologize.

Reactions: RockSoup
I understand that to be the case but felt it was more through the hard work of Galetto. Wasn't slamming Mrozek as he is still Board President so he has remained in tune and wasn't ridden out of town. Maybe my timing is off and if so I do apologize.

Cool. I get it. Not all decisions went over smoothly with all alumni, so I see where you could’ve picked up some discontent. But you’ll have that anytime hard decisions have to be made.

Plus, it was much more than Fr. Paul. Not to diminish what he has done well for the school, but there have been many that have been crucial to the success we are seeing at St. Rita. Hate to name names because there’s so many more but Fr. McCarthy, Mrozek, and Zunica are/were instrumental in developing the solid footing St. Rita stands on now.

And all the schools I grew up watching SR, STL, BR, MC etc have to forge a sustainable path in rocky conditions (costs/lower student pools etc) and they’ve all had some of it play out in the public sphere (co-ed for STL, low test numbers for BR, coach succession at MC). So I cheer for them too and seriously hope them success because life’s better with great competition and Catholic education.

Reactions: go_rice and Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT