ADVERTISEMENT

1A Althoff's Schedule

After playing this schedule, they should be battle-tested for the playoffs. St Teresa and Tolono Unity have both been Central Illinois powerhouses, although Saint T fell to 1-8 in '23 after winning the 2A title in '22. Tolono was 9-3 and made it to the 3A Quarterfinals last year.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
All.... Strength of schedule for the Crusaders this year is higher with several "testers" in their 2024 schedule. In 2023 when the qualifiers were announced the team at 288.50 was the third largest in 1A. Deer Creek (299.00 - 5-4) and Toledo (289.50 - 6-3) were the other two. They should go 1A but numbers can be funny in certain seasons.

I watch film on rb's when available throughout the football season. This young man will need to have another good year. Impressive how he picks lanes and sheds tackles. Ratsy

Reactions: Silver Rain
Man y'all better put some respect on BMD's name. 😁 Not a team to ever overlook on the schedule.

St. Teresa was way down last year, and will remain pretty bad from what I've gathered locally. Still, another program to never take lightly.

All.... QND/SHG September 20 is a good start.... Ratsy
Well, yes, you are right. I will admit I purposefully left SHG off that list, as the result would all be but decided before games are played in every year but 1 out of the next 100 probably. Starting with the beat down in September.

Wish we had a downstate Illinois Holy Grail Series... BMD, Althoff, St. T, BCC, QND... Routt, Marquette.

I'd like to see a match-up between Althoff and the Brother Rice Crusaders.

The First Crusade, in 1095, did succeed in capturing Jerusalem, but they lost it to the Saracens and never got it back again. No one ever found The Holy Grail, though some believers trace it back to the Knights Templar, many of whom were burned at the stake.

Last edited:
Invite them to Redbirds Stadium. It was great site for last year's donnybrook.

Last edited:
Well, yes, you are right. I will admit I purposefully left SHG off that list, as the result would all be but decided before games are played in every year but 1 out of the next 100 probably. Starting with the beat down in September.
All.... Raiders have two key elements among many returning. The big rb (who can also catch) Ivan Hun and that tall drink of water QB.... Shuckman who replaced your senior slinger late in the season. He has a good arm and was impressive when Coach decided to make a change. Should be an interesting year. But first the Blue Devils. Ratsy

I'd like to see a match-up between Althoff and the Brother Rice Crusaders.

The First Crusade, in 1095, did succeed in capturing Jerusalem, but they lost it to the Saracens and never got it back again. No one ever found The Holy Grail, though some believers trace it back to the Knights Templar, many of whom were burned at the stake.
I will admit, having attended Catholic schools from K-12, and being an up-to-date Catholic on my sacraments to this point (baptism, eucharist, confirmation, reconciliation, matrimony), I never quite understood the fascination with the Holy Grail. I likened it, whilst in high school, to just some mythical thing used to sell books about narcissistic kings and rulers, and for storylines for Hollywood blockbusters. I even wrote a paper about how odd it was that we just assume those involved at the time of Jesus' death would have thought so highly of "the" grail at all. 500ish years passed before it was ever mentioned in literature after Jesus' death I've read. That's a long *** time... But now that I'm older, I'd like to know. But me thinks, given the time passed, that it's likely never to be found, and that's likely by design.

I will admit, having attended Catholic schools from K-12, and being an up-to-date Catholic on my sacraments to this point (baptism, eucharist, confirmation, reconciliation, matrimony), I never quite understood the fascination with the Holy Grail. I likened it, whilst in high school, to just some mythical thing used to sell books about narcissistic kings and rulers, and for storylines for Hollywood blockbusters. I even wrote a paper about how odd it was that we just assume those involved at the time of Jesus' death would have thought so highly of "the" grail at all. 500ish years passed before it was ever mentioned in literature after Jesus' death I've read. That's a long *** time... But now that I'm older, I'd like to know. But me thinks, given the time passed, that it's likely never to be found, and that's likely by design.

I share your interest in the subject and believe your skepticism to be justified. The Middle Ages were a gullible time saturated with religion and religious fervor. People were obsessed with relics such as the grail and pieces of the true cross, and they could fool themselves into buying any old artifact as if it were the real thing. The same obsession--and madness--drove the Crusades. In addition to what has been produced by Dan Brown and Steven Spielberg, there is some literature on the grail that treats it as a serious historical object. Some of it is interesting, but I think your high school thesis is correct.

What do you think are the odds that Edgy flushes this?

Last edited:
Reactions: RoaminCatholic
All.... I have a better one. First day of eighth grade at St. Aloysius in town. It's recess time out on the playground. A group of us boys (we didn't mess with girls then... much) are talking about vacations everyone had before the school year started.

One of my class friends pulls out of his pocket a small little plastic box. He had gone to Rome on vacation a few months back. Now in that box was a very tiny sliver of wood. About the size of a splinter one would dig out of a finger. He had purchased what was purported to be a piece of the cross that Jesus was crucified on.

What is that saying P.T. Barnum said. Funny thing is my buddy ended up a very accomplished medical doctor. Ratsy

I share your interest in the subject and believe your skepticism to be justified. The Middle Ages were a gullible time saturated with religion and religious fervor. People were obsessed with relics such as the grail and pieces of the true cross, and they could fool themselves into buying any old artifact as if it were the real thing. The same obsession--and madness--drove the Crusades. In addition to what has been produced by Dan Brown and Steven Spielberg, there is some literature on the grail that treats it as a serious historical object. Some of it is interesting, but I think your high school thesis is correct.

What do you think are the odds that Edgy flushes this?
I did the Camino in 2016 and while in Leone saw what is thought to have the best pedigree to the holy grail title. A stone cup now set in a fine gold and jeweled base. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalice_of_Doña_Urraca

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT