ADVERTISEMENT

Best Marching Bands

Blue Ruin

May 16, 2019
Chicago
High school or college. I don't get to many live games, but I've seen a great Marist band get the crowd going on South Western for St. Patrick's Day. Maine South puts on a good halftime show. For college bands, LSJUMB has a well-earned reputation for rowdiness. But the best halftime performance of all time was delivered a few years ago, when GoT was at its peak, by Michigan and Penn State.

https://digg.com/video/marching-band-game-of-thrones

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
I go to a lot of games and the HS band spectrum stretches from the smaller ones that feature high-energy instrumental music and skilled dancing from the drum major/majorettes then also some moves from the musicians themselves contrasted to huge over-the-top extravaganzas with confusing music that are tooled for big competitions with gigantic bands. The latter often feature props, big flag corps groups and tell some kind of story or theme I can never figure out.

West Aurora has a very long standing tradition of a great marching band, and a great fight song- I'd add that St. Charles East does a nice job as well.

High school or college. I don't get to many live games, but I've seen a great Marist band get the crowd going on South Western for St. Patrick's Day. Maine South puts on a good halftime show. For college bands, LSJUMB has a well-earned reputation for rowdiness. But the best halftime performance of all time was delivered a few years ago, when GoT was at its peak, by Michigan and Penn State.

https://digg.com/video/marching-band-game-of-thrones
Thanks, now I have the song "Miss American Pie" stuck in my head just from your thread title. :D

'Cause the players tried to take the field
The marching band refused to yield
Do you recall what was revealed
The day the music died?

LWE has a top notch HS band.
College band tough to not include OSU Self proclaimed the best damn band in the land. I am not an OSU fan but have to say their Band is right at the top.

Palatine's band has been in movies (Flags of Our Fathers, The Express), played at the White House, represented Illinois for the WWII Memorial dedication parade, and has played in Canada and London (twice).

One of my fav stories.....saw St. Rita play Memphis Whitehaven at the East St. Louis classic a handful of years back....Whitehaven had literally 500 band members plus another 100 or so cheerleaders baton etc...they were by far the best high school band ever...as in like the entire nation best ever. During warmups St. Rita HC Todd Kuska comes over to me and says "EDGY if this team is half as good as the band....we are in deep trouble."

so i don't get to see bands perform, 2 things do stand out to me.

rock island's band marches like a block and a half or so and enters the stadium through a tunnel leading the team onto the field. very distracting during pregame.

and jacksonville's drum line which i've seen at half at basketball games and st. patty's day parades is very impressive.

One of my fav stories.....saw St. Rita play Memphis Whitehaven at the East St. Louis classic a handful of years back....Whitehaven had literally 500 band members plus another 100 or so cheerleaders baton etc...they were by far the best high school band ever...as in like the entire nation best ever. During warmups St. Rita HC Todd Kuska comes over to me and says "EDGY if this team is half as good as the band....we are in deep trouble."
So edgy, who won the game?

The bigger the school, the bigger the band usually. ICE sized 3A/4A schools will have energized bands, but usually not very big. Herscher has a very good marching band - as the instrumental music program has always been very significant part of the Herscher schools.

Wilmington has a small but dedicated band. But the sign of the strength of the Marching Wildcats is that several have gone on to be leaders of the Marching Illini...and the boosters have brought those Marching Illini bands to perform at Becker Field...Wilmington Loyalty is to the tune of Illinois Loyalty...There is nothing as impressive as a 350 member Big Ten marching band playing in a 3A stadium...

Manteno had marching band uniforms when I was in school in the mid-80's, but no football or marching band? I have been able to see the Marching Panthers built from scratch - until about five years ago the music dept. had no interest in anything more than taking the basketball pep band and putting it in the bleachers. The new band instructor was brought in specifically with a goal of the marching band … and has done a marvelous job. They went from polo shirts to marching band uniforms last year as a result of the music boosters fundraising for them. They have come a long way...

My first experience with a marching band was the Marching Illini...when I went to SIU, the difference in quality & size of the bands was stunning - almost as stunning as the difference between 70,000 fans for Illini games and the less than 2000 the Salukis drew my first year there...

Marist has a great band - a good pre-game show, a good halftime show and a good post-game show!!!
I like their pre-game formation of "Marist" in a script formation
Lincoln Way East has a great band too - but almost too many bells & whistles so to speak - I like a band with big sound...and one that actually marches

West Aurora has a very long standing tradition of a great marching band, and a great fight song- I'd add that St. Charles East does a nice job as well.
I was really impressed by the WA band this past season. Oswego usually has a top band, but lately the song selection has been less than inspiring.

Olympia Fields...half had uniforms , half did not, some just the top or hat...not the prettiest but they'll get you moving

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT