ADVERTISEMENT

Best High School Football Stadium

Climate plays a huge part in it along with support from local government. It is hard to play baseball consistently in Chicago in March, April, October and November even with turf. Also people are going to go to a warmer climate during those months. Then you have to get buy in from a local agency to pay for it and allow it to be used for tournaments. I went to conference in Orlando and toured a complex down there. They have like 16-20 baseball fields. They run events about 50-60 times a year. They allow local teams to use the fields for all sports Monday-Thursday and then rent it out to these tournament organizers for events Friday-Sunday. It would be hard for a park district to put in a 20 million facility and then tell the locals that they can’t play any homes games there on the weekends.
Indianapolis and Iowa pull it off and their climate isn’t much different. Especially if such a facility is built in say Bloomington-Normal or far West suburbs of Chicago. Try getting a hotel on a weekend anywhere near Indianapolis in the summer. Bo Jackson wanted to build a similar facility in Aurora near where the Outlet Mall is now and the City of Aurora declined. That was crazy, the access to 88, hotels and Chicago would be a major draw.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
Morris would be in the running if they didn't have small death-traps for visitor's bleachers.
I lucked out I had divetwin host me so I had seat on the home side. You actually get a specific seat assigned to you. I saw 2 playoff games there definitely a great venue.

Reactions: Gene K.
Hmm...ranking the ICE...

Worst...Peotone...grass is horrible, cinder track unmaintained since the 70's, home bleachers ok but on the east side, visitors bleachers awful - couple 5 row portable sets drug over from the baseball diamond.

7th...Streator...recently rebuilt bleachers built into the hill, but again on the east side...limited visitors bleachers. Sewer plant dead west of the stadium...

6th...Manteno...nicely maintained, but when built in 2002 MHS was a 2A size school. Visitors bleachers sorely undersized, but visitors parking right behind the bleachers is a bonus. Nice concessions, having converted the former mobile classrooms into the concessions stand.

5th...Herscher..Seebach Stadium was the place to be in the 80's...and it's stuck there. Lots of visitors bleachers, but they aren't elevated so the first three rows are basically useless, and they are open board making them a bit scary...and dropping something requires a trip under the bleachers.

4th...Reed-Custer...The best nuclear power plant tax money can buy, nice track, plenty of bleachers. But bleech...absolutely no character. The concessions stand was built to serve baseball, softball and the stadium, so it isn't very well placed for any of them...And the general lack of a competitive team doesn't help much.

3rd...Lisle...I remember running track at Lisle's huge invitational at the facility behind the junior (?) high building without lights. Great track, probably not a very good football stadium. Moving to Benedictine gives the Lions probably the nicest stadium, but no visitors side, and it just doesn't feel right.

2nd...Wilmington...Absolutely an awesome atmosphere, but some of us remember back to the pre-Reents era...One of my first high school games ever was a Wilmo vs. Peotone / Manteno co-op in the early/mid 90's, and the visitors side was probably worse than Peotone's (the mosquitos coming out of the woods were vicious). But the seating additions make this a great place to watch a game...even if visitors have to walk around the remains of the cinder track under the woods to get to the visitors' side.

Best...Coal City...Coalers originally built a stadium with the bleachers on the wrong / east side and no visitors bleachers (and the only all-weather track I ever ran on that was done in yards rather than meters...lol). The construction of visitors side bleachers and parking additions, and the concessions stand, makes the Coalers stadium the best in the conference. The Coaler's faithful also make the atmosphere pretty good as well. There have been discussions of reconstructing the facility, adding lanes to the track and replacing the bleachers. I really don't understand why they just don't add to the west side bleachers and make them the home side, leaving the east side bleachers to be the visitor's side...

1. Coal City- easy choice
2. Herscher just because of amount of seating and asphalt all the way around.. new expanded track adds to it
3. Reed- Custer- Wanted to put them at #2, maybe crappy football hurts the image.
4. Manteno- Great parking, nice facility, just a little small
5. Lisle- Nice college facility, just not built for HS football
6. Wilmington- Close to action, but not a nice facility, obviously great atmosphere
7. Streator- At least the bar is close enough to walk to at half time
8. Peotone- Would be below average in a youth football league

Reactions: Coalertown44
i must have not been paying close attention the 4 or 5 times i was at morris. nothing about the place stands out in my mind. seems pretty basic to me.

All.... I've always felt it's about the "whole" experience when rating a stadium. (before, during, & after) Should Sterling and Morris meet up again in Morris and you attend, arrive early and pull into the little park directly across the street from the stadium. Lots of pre -game fun to be had in that area and Redskin fans seem to be a fairly amicable lot. The night life post game in their small downtown is a hoot as well. Just a thought..... Ratsy

All.... I'd find it fascinating to see as a subject thread but doubt Edgy would ever allow it is what's the worse school/stadium one has visited and been treated terribly. After decades of attending games (having "experienced" a lot) I have one that likely will never be topped on my personal list. Recent and twice in the same season. Hmmm..... Ratsy

All.... I'd find it fascinating to see as a subject thread but doubt Edgy would ever allow it is what's the worse school/stadium one has visited and been treated terribly. After decades of attending games (having "experienced" a lot) I have one that likely will never be topped on my personal list. Recent and twice in the same season. Hmmm..... Ratsy
Gately....Listen I can say this with all honesty, I hated Gately. MC building Barda Dowling was the best thing they could have done. I didn't like playing at Gately. I hated playing then having to get on a bus at our own "home" game and drive back to MC, then drive home. As a fan I hated dealing with the CPS Security treating fans like we were entering a prison, getting wanded for weapons at a MC vs BR game....it was embarrassing. Little kids trying to run on the field was a federal offense at half time. You couldn't stand around they booted you up to the seats....food lines were unbearable....the ONLY thing I gave it props for was there wasn't a bad seat in the house on either side, you got a good clear view. Outside of that I won't miss it at all.

CCL Blue
1. MC
2. LA
3. BR
4. Marist

CCL Green
1. Montini
2. PC
3. ND
4. Rita
I'm gonna flip flop Marist and BR. I like Marist. When crowded its a fun atmosphere, Good bands...maybe too much pregame entertainment, but they do a good job. Visitor stands are decent if you get there in time...parking does suck there though.

BR is a tale of two stands. If you are on the home side, it's very good, decent amount of room. Good food, nice set up....if you are on the visitor side though it's torture, the worst I've been to...I know they have have zoning problems but its very small...if you get in the stands and sit too low the team can block your view...if you stand on the fence line you have to go by the crowd reaction for half the field...A lot of visitors just sit on the home side.

1. Coal City- easy choice
2. Herscher just because of amount of seating and asphalt all the way around.. new expanded track adds to it
3. Reed- Custer- Wanted to put them at #2, maybe crappy football hurts the image.
4. Manteno- Great parking, nice facility, just a little small
5. Lisle- Nice college facility, just not built for HS football
6. Wilmington- Close to action, but not a nice facility, obviously great atmosphere
7. Streator- At least the bar is close enough to walk to at half time
8. Peotone- Would be below average in a youth football league

I don't hate your choices

1. CC pretty nice stadium, atmosphere has gotten extremely better the last few years. Students have made the Student section much better
2. Manteno. Something about their stadium has always impressed me. Atmosphere is pretty good too. Plus they had a Food truck there one year with awesome food
3. RC. Horrible atmosphere but the field is second to none. I feel the atmosphere will improve in the next few years with a better product.
4. Herscher. I have always liked this one too. Plenty of seating, good concessions and good atmosphere
5. Lisle. Facilities are great, not many Lisle fans but they get in to the games. Agreed on it not being a HS football atmosphere
6. Wilmington. Filed is horrible. Visitor seating is garbage. Overrated atmosphere.
7. This is hard because the last two are just bad. Streator is at 7. Bad atmosphere, bad field. Coaches told me they played a freshman game there a few years ago and it was covered in dog crap. Plus is the walking distance to Broadway Pub which is a hidden gem
8. Peotone. Worst field, worst seating. Just bad. In dire need of improvements

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
Gately....Listen I can say this with all honesty, I hated Gately. MC building Barda Dowling was the best thing they could have done. I didn't like playing at Gately. I hated playing then having to get on a bus at our own "home" game and drive back to MC, then drive home. As a fan I hated dealing with the CPS Security treating fans like we were entering a prison, getting wanded for weapons at a MC vs BR game....it was embarrassing. Little kids trying to run on the field was a federal offense at half time. You couldn't stand around they booted you up to the seats....food lines were unbearable....the ONLY thing I gave it props for was there wasn't a bad seat in the house on either side, you got a good clear view. Outside of that I won't miss it at all.
MC definitely surpassed my expectations. From the ample parking to the great walk to the field. Right on top of the field, student presence at the game, lively atmosphere. Could not be any happier with what they have created.

CS8 Conference

1) Chatham. Generous visitor seating and plenty of parking. Great atmosphere. Only negative is it’s a haul from the visitor’s side to the main concession area/bathrooms. Surprising to me at least, they don’t try to fire up their crowd too much through PA.
2) SHG. Great field and very generous visitor seating. Parking can be limited. Decent concessions but nothing memorable. Didn’t go to a game there in 2019 but SHG had thru 2018 a too loud/obnoxious PA announcer.
3) Rochester. The complaints I’ve heard are valid: limited visitor seating and parking can be an issue. On the plus side, I think Rochester has the best concessions in the conference and the field is always in good shape.
4) U High. They get to play their home games at ISU’s stadium which is nice but it’s 90% empty. Feels like a Saturday morning JV game.The one sport U High is not competitive in and they have limited crowds.
5) Decatur MacArthur. An older stadium but pretty easy to get to and find parking. Not much visitor seating but they are liberal about letting you stand on the track in different spots. Good home crowds when MacArthur is playing well.
6) Jacksonville. Also older and very limited visitor seating. Parking and concessions are pretty good. Good home crowds even though Jacksonville has struggled the last few years.
7) Southeast. Only public school in Springfield with its own field. Parking and concessions are decent. Limited visitor seating and small home crowds most of the time. Takes too long to buy a ticket and get in.
8) Eisenhower. Newer facility that should be much better. Very little parking, they funnel the visitors through the school to get to the field, and the field does not drain well.
9) Lanphier/Springfield. These schools share Memorial stadium, which at one point was the only football stadium for Springfield schools. Has seen better days, parking and concessions so-so. Field deteriorates as season goes on. Lanphier crowds limited even though school next to stadium. Springfield does better w/crowds but should have its own field.

Change your name to PanthersCoalers then......is the stadium itself nicer, sure. Is the overall game atmosphere better, not even close.

Hey, I was Manteno's Education Foundation President when it did the fundraising for Manteno's bleachers & lights...and was Athletic Boosters President when the track was built, which involved helping lay the sod and help install the fence around the track...And had no problem telling off some of my Wildcat step-son's teammates' parents when they complained about the inadequacies of the facility (yeah, we know the visitors bleachers are way too small). Realistically, when it was built we expected it was going to be the best middle school stadium around by 2015..

Yet I rank the stadium I am likely the person most responsible for as the sixth best stadium in the conference...o_O But the grass seems invincible at times...last season after playing Columbus Cup soccer tourney games on it (2 games M-T-W-T) and the huge storm on Friday that cancelled Oktoberfest, the field Saturday was just fine against R/C...other than the spots goalies wore out in the end zone.

Reents Stadium has the best atmosphere around, which is why most of the conference is attempting to up their atmosphere, improve their introduction/team run on, fireworks, etc. But lets be realistic...the only other school in the conference where the visitors have to walk around the cinder track to get to the visitors side is Peotone...Creature comforts for the visitors counts for something...

And for the people who like R/C's stadium, not only is the complex laid out strangely, and no character, but...have you ever been there on a rainy night? That field just doesn't drain...

Reactions: Coalertown44

This is the quintessential CPS football experience. No one has a home stadium. Fans AND Players are searched and wanded before games. CPS Security standing directly on the sidelines next to coaches and among the teams. CPS security kicking teams out of locker rooms and fans out of stands IMMEDIATELY after games so the next game can start...

All this, and yet there is nothing quite like a 3:45 pm Thursday or a 9 am Saturday start in a CPS game. Bring on the fall!

This is the quintessential CPS football experience. No one has a home stadium. Fans AND Players are searched and wanded before games. CPS Security standing directly on the sidelines next to coaches and among the teams. CPS security kicking teams out of locker rooms and fans out of stands IMMEDIATELY after games so the next game can start...

All this, and yet there is nothing quite like a 3:45 pm Thursday or a 9 am Saturday start in a CPS game. Bring on the fall!
To a man, everyone on this forum would embrace going to a game at 103rd & Cottage Grove at any time on any day of the week if it meant the 2020 season was to be a "go" from scheduled start to finish.

I coached for one season for a CPS school on the south side. I wasn't able to get to a ton of stadiums, but I'll share the ones I did go to (both as a coach and spectator):
-Gately
-Eckersall
-Lane
-Marist HS
-Loyola Academy
-Elmwood Park (for 7-on-7)
-Blue Island Eisenhower (7-on-7)

The best atmosphere I've been to was either Loyola Academy/Homewood-Flossmoor in the 2015 playoffs or Simeon/Phillips at Gately either in 2017 or 18. But the nicest stadium from an aesthetic standpoint is Lane, the architecture is beautiful.

CS8 Conference

1) Chatham. Generous visitor seating and plenty of parking. Great atmosphere. Only negative is it’s a haul from the visitor’s side to the main concession area/bathrooms. Surprising to me at least, they don’t try to fire up their crowd too much through PA.
2) SHG. Great field and very generous visitor seating. Parking can be limited. Decent concessions but nothing memorable. Didn’t go to a game there in 2019 but SHG had thru 2018 a too loud/obnoxious PA announcer.
3) Rochester. The complaints I’ve heard are valid: limited visitor seating and parking can be an issue. On the plus side, I think Rochester has the best concessions in the conference and the field is always in good shape.
4) U High. They get to play their home games at ISU’s stadium which is nice but it’s 90% empty. Feels like a Saturday morning JV game.The one sport U High is not competitive in and they have limited crowds.
5) Decatur MacArthur. An older stadium but pretty easy to get to and find parking. Not much visitor seating but they are liberal about letting you stand on the track in different spots. Good home crowds when MacArthur is playing well.
6) Jacksonville. Also older and very limited visitor seating. Parking and concessions are pretty good. Good home crowds even though Jacksonville has struggled the last few years.
7) Southeast. Only public school in Springfield with its own field. Parking and concessions are decent. Limited visitor seating and small home crowds most of the time. Takes too long to buy a ticket and get in.
8) Eisenhower. Newer facility that should be much better. Very little parking, they funnel the visitors through the school to get to the field, and the field does not drain well.
9) Lanphier/Springfield. These schools share Memorial stadium, which at one point was the only football stadium for Springfield schools. Has seen better days, parking and concessions so-so. Field deteriorates as season goes on. Lanphier crowds limited even though school next to stadium. Springfield does better w/crowds but should have its own field.

So they never ended up putting turf in at Memorial Stadium in Springfield? Wow.

So they never ended up putting turf in at Memorial Stadium in Springfield? Wow.

All.... Tim, the turf project from several years ago by public school district 186 supporters in Springfield fell flat from lack of benefactors donating. It was one of those deals purchase a square of the new turf field to be built and get your name on a sign inside the stadium as a thank you. It went nowhere for the most part.

Recently Sangamon County voters approved a 1% additional sales tax on an already highly taxed area of Illinois. The revenue for the schools in the county raised can only be used for building improvements.

Springfield will use money for that incoming tax for Memorial Stadium. Additional parking, new bathrooms (sorely needed) and a turf field are coming. Of course with the virus tax revenue is down everywhere. When those improvements happen might take much longer. Ratsy

How about some smaller schools...for anyone who wants to compare, these stadiums would all be way smaller than anything the suburban guys have experienced. But this conference only has two schools (Seneca & Paxton) with more than 350 kids now...

Ranking the Sangamon Valley Conference stadiums...

1. Seneca. Little surprise that the former I-8 district with the nuclear power plant has the nicest and best stadium. Seneca in fact has separate track and football stadiums, and for years the track stadium was nicer than the football stadium. My first football game there, Manteno's very first Varsity game in the I-8 in 2002, there was a unique set of bleachers on the north side of the stadium and some elevated portable bleachers on the south (then visitors) side - sitting on what appeared to be a dirt softball infield. The field runs more east & west rather than north & south, wooded area to the west, concessions building southeast corner, baseball diamond to the east. The Irish replaced the south side with permanent bleachers and moved the home side to the south. The Irish have great seating and lots of character here...

2. Clifton Central. Welcome to one of the most rural high schools in the state, as Central is located about a mile north of Clifton about a quarter mile east of I-57 literally surrounded by corn fields. The Comets take pride in quality and unique facilities (their gym, the "Crater", is actually arena style with permanent bleachers surrounding the floor). The football stadium has nice good sized bleachers on each side, plenty of parking...and a great fan base. The wind & weather, however, is quite in play here...

3. Momence. Momence has one of the coolest press boxes around, a three story brick structure. The Redskins have 4 sets of really solid permanent bleachers on the home west side, and multiple sets of portable bleachers on the visitors side. Concrete walkways surround the track...High school is on the east side, junior high to the west - the junior high parking lot is the main parking. The Redskins also have a cool gym, with permanent in the round seating...

4. Dwight. Really nice home stands, concessions / bathroom building is great. Visitors bleachers are a bit small but workable...There's a small parking lot at the north end of the stadium with a cool old ticket booth...

5. Paxton-Buckley-Loda. I must admit that although I played hoops at Paxton and watched plenty of hoops games, I've never been to a football game. School backs up to I-57, with the stadium running east-west on the south side of the school Stadium looks real nice, however, with good sized home bleachers and lots of parking surrounding the school.

6. Watseka. Again, I've been to plenty of hoops games here, but never a football game. Field runs east & west, with the home bleachers on the south side. Nice sized home bleachers, small visitors bleachers.

7. Iroquois West. I've driven thru the IWest campus, a classic 100 year old small town high school. Actually the last school to win a football state title in the SVC (2A 2003)...No track, just a nice set of home bleachers on the west side...Visitors side only has some maybe five row portable bleachers. Concession stand food, I understand, is legendary...

Last edited:
New turf and score board at Barda Dowling this year! Hopefully they get to play on it!

Covering the West Suburban Silver, here's how I rank the stadiums:

1) Glenbard West - very easy choice for the best. Spending a fall Saturday afternoon at Duchon Field by picturesque Lake Ellyn is an awesome experience.

2) Hinsdale Central

3) Lyons Township

4) Downers Grove North

5) York

6) OPRF - a lot of history to be sure, and the home grandstand is massive. But the visiting bleachers are probably the worst in the conference: not a lot of seating and the angles are low.

7) Proviso West

Reactions: lookoutforliam
How about some smaller schools...for anyone who wants to compare, these stadiums would all be way smaller than anything the suburban guys have experienced. But this conference only has two schools (Seneca & Paxton) with more than 350 kids now...

Ranking the Sangamon Valley Conference stadiums...

1. Seneca. Little surprise that the former I-8 district with the nuclear power plant has the nicest and best stadium. Seneca in fact has separate track and football stadiums, and for years the track stadium was nicer than the football stadium. My first football game there, Manteno's very first Varsity game in the I-8 in 2002, there was a unique set of bleachers on the north side of the stadium and some elevated portable bleachers on the south (then visitors) side - sitting on what appeared to be a dirt softball infield. The field runs more east & west rather than north & south, wooded area to the west, concessions building southeast corner, baseball diamond to the east. The Irish replaced the south side with permanent bleachers and moved the home side to the south. The Irish have great seating and lots of character here...

2. Clifton Central. Welcome to one of the most rural high schools in the state, as Central is located about a mile north of Clifton about a quarter mile east of I-57 literally surrounded by corn fields. The Comets take pride in quality and unique facilities (their gym, the "Crater", is actually arena style with permanent bleachers surrounding the floor). The football stadium has nice good sized bleachers on each side, plenty of parking...and a great fan base. The wind & weather, however, is quite in play here...

3. Momence. Momence has one of the coolest press boxes around, a three story brick structure. The Redskins have 4 sets of really solid permanent bleachers on the home west side, and multiple sets of portable bleachers on the visitors side. Concrete walkways surround the track...High school is on the east side, junior high to the west - the junior high parking lot is the main parking. The Redskins also have a cool gym, with permanent in the round seating...

4. Dwight. Really nice home stands, concessions / bathroom building is great. Visitors bleachers are a bit small but workable...There's a small parking lot at the north end of the stadium with a cool old ticket booth...

5. Paxton-Buckley-Loda. I must admit that although I played hoops at Paxton and watched plenty of hoops games, I've never been to a football game. School backs up to I-57, with the stadium running east-west on the south side of the school Stadium looks real nice, however, with good sized home bleachers and lots of parking surrounding the school.

6. Watseka. Again, I've been to plenty of hoops games here, but never a football game. Field runs east & west, with the home bleachers on the south side. Nice sized home bleachers, small visitors bleachers.

7. Iroquois West. I've driven thru the IWest campus, a classic 100 year old small town high school. Actually the last school to win a football state title in the SVC (2A 2003)...No track, just a nice set of home bleachers on the west side...Visitors side only has some maybe five row portable bleachers. Concession stand food, I understand, is legendary...

Have heard Central is replacing the bleachers, or at least the wheels are in motion

Interesting. I’ve been to 150 or 200 games there and never noticed the lights being an issue. Will have to pay attention next time.

If I remember right weren’t they replaced with the turf renovation about a decade ago?

Reactions: kkhawk and USD24
Interesting. I’ve been to 150 or 200 games there and never noticed the lights being an issue. Will have to pay attention next time.

If I remember right weren’t they replaced with the turf renovation about a decade ago?
The lights didn’t leave nearly as much of an impression on me as the PA announcer. Holy annoying Batman.

Reactions: penlight
The lights didn’t leave nearly as much of an impression on me as the PA announcer. Holy annoying Batman.
The current announcer is quite the contrast from the longtime guy who I believe passed away some years back. He was understated, matter of fact, down and distance only type PA announcer. Current announcer almost does play by play immediately after the tackle.

Reactions: penlight
Agreed....My nephew plays for Rice, so we were there this past season. He was a bit over the top. Not to mention the steady stream of information, such as the average ACT scores of kids at JCA...etc...etc.

Agreed....My nephew plays for Rice, so we were there this past season. He was a bit over the top. Not to mention the steady stream of information, such as the average ACT scores of kids at JCA...etc...etc.
Yea, I personally preferred the old approach that ended about 5 to 8 years ago. No music at all during or before the game and only down and distance mentioned along with who got tackled and who did the tackling. That’s all you need.

but I understand times are changing and kids want different things and you have to do what you can to attract kids. Just preferred the silent understatedness of years past. Guess we’re getting old.

morton?

oh, never mind last question. i know you're talking about booster.

Reactions: cornerrat
chatham glenwood is the nicest grass field i've been on.

marion's field and facility is very nice.

the coolest stadium i've been in-and no one has mentioned-is rock island's. it drips of old school memories.

i'm also a little partial to ken leonard field. very, very nice. i've never eaten there, but everyone raves about the food and huge menu.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT