ADVERTISEMENT

Best cheers

Ain't that the truth with social media. Going back a several years ago when Facebook was popular with the high school kids. There were pages set up to taunt the other Teams. One specific one comes to mind when CG was hosting LZ. The student were smack talking back and forth . A CG student suggested to the LZ students that they should bring their "rape" whistles to the game.
Savage

At the Minooka vs. as we go game a couple weeks ago the kicker tried a 42 yard field goal. The kick hit the crossbar. The Minooka fans started chanting “Cody Parkey Cody Parkey”. I tried not to laugh but I couldn’t stop myself.

My daughter was a cheerleader for quite a few years. At first she cheered for the Crystal Lake Raiders. The cheerleaders didn’t know much about football neither did the cheer coaches. They would often be chanting “ Defense Defense “ when the offense was on the field. Myself or one of the other dads would shout “That’s offense on the field”.

Cookies cookies cookies and cream.. what’s the matter with the other team.. nothing nothing nothing at all ..
They just.......... can’t play ball.

At the Minooka vs. as we go game a couple weeks ago the kicker tried a 42 yard field goal. The kick hit the crossbar. The Minooka fans started chanting “Cody Parkey Cody Parkey”. I tried not to laugh but I couldn’t stop myself.

My daughter was a cheerleader for quite a few years. At first she cheered for the Crystal Lake Raiders. The cheerleaders didn’t know much about football neither did the cheer coaches. They would often be chanting “ Defense Defense “ when the offense was on the field. Myself or one of the other dads would shout “That’s offense on the field”.

Cookies cookies cookies and cream.. what’s the matter with the other team.. nothing nothing nothing at all ..
They just.......... can’t play ball.
I'm glad, at least, we couldn't hear that on the the other side.

I was on the Oswego side and heard it loud and clear. I thought it was cruel but clever.

I don’t know the kickers name but I thought that was quite an effort for a high school kid.
Maybe I shut it out :) or was cheering for the kicker to forget about it.

Kicker was Avalos.

Back in the old Illini-8 days, JCHS had a chant for the Tigers of Joliet West:

I'm a Tiger
You're a Tiger
We're a Tiger all
And when we get together
We give our Tiger call
P*SSIES

That was right after the "ACT" chants

Reactions: pjjp
It was more a basketball thing, but I liked when the entire student section would bury their heads in a newspaper when the opposition's starting lineup was introduced. Unfortunately, no one reads newspapers anymore.

Maybe I shut it out :) or was cheering for the kicker to forget about it.

Kicker was Avalos.
I thought Oswego might have one that game if it hadn’t been for penalties. I thought the two teams were pretty evenly matched. There were a couple of unsportsmanlike calls against oswego that hurt them. Good luck to Oswego this weekend!

It was more a basketball thing, but I liked when the entire student section would bury their heads in a newspaper when the opposition's starting lineup was introduced. Unfortunately, no one reads newspapers anymore.
I thought Oswego might have one that game if it hadn’t been for penalties. I thought the two teams were pretty evenly matched. There were a couple of unsportsmanlike calls against oswego that hurt them. Good luck to Oswego this weekend!
Thanks, the block in the back on the big 50 yard gain when it was 21-21 was a big call and Minooka playing a clean game with no penalties didn't help either.

Reactions: Wolffan64
This was 2002 back before any social media. The came was between pc and jca . The pc students section chanted dui whenever a certain player from jca touch the ball.

Reactions: CatholicHigh41
2 I never liked:
Andrew is better, it's just mean,
and when our school was getting shut down (Lincoln Way North), Sandburg students chanted School For Sale.
I do always love when they chant OVERRATED at AJ Henning, cracks me up. Once it happened while he was running in a TD.

Reactions: Gene K.
The most ruthless cheer I've ever heard was at an Illini game in the late '80s...They were playing Michigan with Rumeal Robinson. Every time Robinson got the ball, a "Remedial" chant broke out. He nearly had a breakdown right there..For the youngsters, Robinson was an early Prop 48 academic non-qualifier who had to sit out his freshman year...The truly ironic part of the chant was several Illini were also Prop 48's...

Local cheers/chants...If you can't sing a tone, Pee a tone...
Strange support for a Beecher business, "Beecher Meat"?

This was 2002 back before any social media. The came was between pc and jca . The pc students section chanted dui whenever a certain player from jca touch the ball.
On a similar note, I recall a game down south where one team was missing about half their starters since they were suspended for being at a party they shouldn’t have. The opposing student section started “Where’s the party”, which was interestingly countered with a chant of the school name of the partying players

The most ruthless cheer I've ever heard was at an Illini game in the late '80s...They were playing Michigan with Rumeal Robinson. Every time Robinson got the ball, a "Remedial" chant broke out. He nearly had a breakdown right there..For the youngsters, Robinson was an early Prop 48 academic non-qualifier who had to sit out his freshman year...The truly ironic part of the chant was several Illini were also Prop 48's...

Local cheers/chants...If you can't sing a tone, Pee a tone...
Strange support for a Beecher business, "Beecher Meat"?
To combine a couple of favorites, back in the late 80s West Aurora had to forfeit a season of wins because of ineligible Jr player. He was suspended a year and couldn’t play until second semester senior year. EA played both WA games before his return. The Regional that year for some reason was in Batavia’s small gym. Ea/WA final, SRO, and during the starting lineup announcement, instead of the newspapers they often used, they held under eligibility cards.

The Catholic hockey games in the 80s got pretty rough with the language and cheers (jeers). So the St. Rita administration had an administrator at the games to enforce the “positive cheers only” expectation which of course just led to the cheer “Positive cheers suck”

Reactions: missingwalter
To combine a couple of favorites, back in the late 80s West Aurora had to forfeit a season of wins because of ineligible Jr player. He was suspended a year and couldn’t play until second semester senior year. EA played both WA games before his return. The Regional that year for some reason was in Batavia’s small gym. Ea/WA final, SRO, and during the starting lineup announcement, instead of the newspapers they often used, they held under eligibility cards.
Was wondering when you'd break out some EA/WA rivalry chants. I remember West always doing the newspaper thing during basketball intros. WA rowdies were great, always dressed like zebras and likely really annoying to opposing teams. This was early-mid 90s. During those days the tomahawk chop was big, made popular by the ATL Braves.

Was wondering when you'd break out some EA/WA rivalry chants. I remember West always doing the newspaper thing during basketball intros. WA rowdies were great, always dressed like zebras and likely really annoying to opposing teams. This was early-mid 90s. During those days the tomahawk chop was big, made popular by the ATL Braves.
Or was it the Florida State Seminoles? Who was really first?

I was a bit before the rowdies, but the rivalry was real and competitive. Another one I liked was playing Elgin in Dekalb with Mark Baugh (Iowa State), and 200 EA fans showed up in T-shirts that read “Baugh Humbug”.

Arlington was beating us badly in basketball at Buffalo Grove so we had to cheer “Football, football”.

I feel bad, but we added “Close the door in ‘84” after their closing was announced.

"Ikey, Mikey, Jake and Sam. We're the Boys That Eat No Ham. We play football, baseball, soccer. We keep matzos in our locker. Aye, aye, Weequahic High!"

Reactions: Gene K.
Tick, tock,tick ,tock...BOOM, DYNAMITE !!!!....BOOM, DYNAMITE

In November, 1978, DePaul played at UCLA and was blown out. During the rout, UCLA fans chanted, "Who is DePaul?" to underscore their disrespect.

DePaul had about 100 fans at the game, and they responded, "We are DePaul." Unfortunately, the Demons lost 108 - 85.

This was the first time any groups of fans began a cheer with "We are ..."

Especially noteworthy, here, is that DePaul beat UCLA 95 - 91 in the Western Regional final game four months later.

Last edited:
Lake Zurich used to chant Blood Blood Blood Makes the Grass Grow. I imagine that has stopped over the years.

I'm starting to hate this thread, it has given me a couple of very evil "Ear-Worms". :mad:

I was really skeptical about how much traction this thread was gonna have, but boy, it’s turned out some great stuff!

The Catholic hockey games in the 80s got pretty rough with the language and cheers (jeers). So the St. Rita administration had an administrator at the games to enforce the “positive cheers only” expectation which of course just led to the cheer “Positive cheers suck”
Kennedy Cup games of the ‘80’s were good times. Old time hockey on the ice, in the stands and in the parking lot.

Kennedy Cup games of the ‘80’s were good times. Old time hockey on the ice, in the stands and in the parking lot.
Flat out nasty. Funny to look back now and laugh. But you really didn’t know if you were coming home alive. Rinks filled past fire code levels, stands shaking and of course, the off ice shenanigans by all fan bases involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: eireog
Always love the chants/cheers to all-boy schools...We have girls!
(credit to Crusader_of_90 who posted that last year in another thread).

The perfectly timed cheer/chant is always good too, as in last year when LWE rolled GBW at Duchon and their fans chanted, "This is our house!" to which us Hitters fans in attendance agreed through our tears (or beers, can't remember).
ND/Evanston sectional basketball game a couple of years ago at GBS, ETHS is losing late in the game ETHS fans started the “we’ve got girls” chant. The 2-1 throng of green clad ND kids start chanting and dancing to a thunderous chant of Sausage Fest!! The ETHS kids stood in stunned silence.

Reactions: NickThilmany
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT