ADVERTISEMENT

Benefits of District Format

Just win another title and get success factored up to a 6A district. ;)

it might have been last year or the year before.
they had the districts already laid out. it is one of these very old posts.
does anybody know where that district list is at.
I believe that would be the district setup(layout) they will be using.
and if they could add a compete level to the class.
would benefit all greatly.

I can't stand all this talk of the two non-district games not mattering. Is that the case for the regular season contests in literally EVERY other IHSA sport. If it's a competition you are playing to win. If there's teaching and learning taking place than the game matters and will have implications in the post season.

I can’t stand almost any of the response to this I need to do a 40 page reply to cover all my thoughts about others thoughts...

You're moving the goal posts here.
I respect your opinion. I can admit that maybe I'm wrong or I'm in the vast minority. That's ok with me.
I'm not moving the goalposts. I'm pointing out that sometimes competition is there for competition's sake, a measuring stick. Last time I checked a game/match is a competition that matters. There's only nine opportunities a year in football. Post-season implications do not determine the worth of one individual contest. There are many components that make each individual game important to the competitors.

The truly interesting things are more likely in the smaller classes. There are 54 co-op host football teams, with 70 schools that feed into the co-ops. I will use Hoopeston Area as my example. The Cornjerkers have an enrollment of 365, a solid mid-2A enrollment. But they co-op football with Armstrong (134) and Danville Schlarman (108), for a co-op enrollment of just over 600 - a solid 4A enrollment. The nearest 4A schools are Kankakee McNamara, about an hour to the north, Tolono Unity, an hour southwest, and Rantoul, about 45 minutes west. Hoopeston has been a member of the 1A/2A Vermillion Valley for quite some time, and was with the Sangamon Valley schools in the past. The Cornjerkers have not made the playoffs since 1993 despite being a 4A school in a conference of 2A and 1A schools. But it is a logical conference for other sports and traditional rivals, so they can do it. But do they keep the co-ops if they end up driving all over the state. Soucie has them in a district with Quincy, on the Mississippi, in 4A...A 3A conference still has them driving a long way. But dropping both co-ops leaves them with a number of nearby 2A schools...

But can they support football without the co-ops? Do they go 8 man?

Or Iroquois West, who sits on the 1A/2A border most years in a conference with neighboring 2A schools in the Sangamon Valley. Do they petition up to 2A to stick with their traditional rivals?

Reactions: TDCumm16
Class 5a

This would be JCAs district. Not many good matchups for the Hilltoppers. I also think it would be terrible for JCAs lower levels

District 4 (8): Chicago Heights (Marian Catholic), Country Club Hills (Hillcrest), Dolton (Thornridge), Joliet (Catholic), Olympia Fields (Rich Central), Park Forest (Rich East), Richton Park (Rich South), Tinley Park
This is similar to Montini's district. I bet you JCA would be very anxious to play Rich East and Tinley Park instead of PC and/or other CCL/ESCC teams.
What a terrible idea but it doesn't surprise me given the total mess that the IHSA has become.

Does LA MC and SR play a round robin among each other and have two or three kids on crunches on each team or play cream puffs in meaningless games? Tell a parent their D-1 QB son or OL lineman's football career is over in a meaningless game that does not count.

It doesn't count for playoff qualification or seeding, and that's all it doesn't count for. But those non-district games absolutely count in terms of finding out how you match up against tough competition, giving your high profile kids a marquee game in which their performance can be better analyzed by college scouts, getting teams ready for the season, ironing out kinks, and for local and national polls.

I think that the district concept, and the fact that non-district games do not factor into playoff qualification, will result in more teams taking the risk and scheduling non-district games against schools either at or above their level of competition. Why? Precisely because there is no risk of that game's outcome impacting playoff qualification.

For example, let's say Iggy is in a district with seven other similarly sized CPL schools, all of which Iggy could beat with its second team. Might they want to try to schedule non-district games above their weight class to give them an idea how they match up against playoff caliber competition? Or do you really think they would look to schedule a couple of cream puffs and play their second team? I think the former.

Last edited:
Reactions: mullin17
Not a fan of districts, but I disagree with people complaining about two “meaningless” games.
Schools can schedule whoever they want, based on the current state of their program.

Yes. It's not limitless. $ is most definitely a factor when determining if a school is going to play out or state.
I could pick 20 Hs teams without trying that could travel no problem with fundraising a lot of schools do it for baseball for a week in spring break

None of this district stuff makes any sense,forget trying to figure it out.

Does it make sense? or are a bunch of you afraid of change? I heard complaints every-year for about 15 years now about multipliers, public transfers, private free tuition, recruiting, boundaries, transfers etc. I am not surprised in the least that the IHSA is trying something new. Not saying it’s right or I agree with them but with all the complaining you did, now you got what you wished for! “Change”.
We may not like the change but it looks like we’re getting it.
You all know the saying. Be careful what you wish for.

Does it make sense? or are a bunch of you afraid of change? I heard complaints every-year for about 15 years now about multipliers, public transfers, private free tuition, recruiting, boundaries, transfers etc. I am not surprised in the least that the IHSA is trying something new. Not saying it’s right or I agree with them but with all the complaining you did, now you got what you wished for!
Interesting how the above highlighted items are basically wrapped up in the fact that boundaried and non-boundaried schools compete in the same tournament. Just an observation from seeing this listing.

Interesting how the above highlighted items are basically wrapped up in the fact that boundaried and non-boundaried schools compete in the same tournament. Just an observation from seeing this listing.

What non-boundaried schools?
Private’s have 30 mile radius and Public’s have to live within their school district. Unless I missed a change?

Some good commentary here. I do agree that potential competition drop of the Catholic league teams and the small school co-op scenarios are some initial big unknowns to this.

I feel like the IHSA can answer the travel question though. They should have all the data to figure this out. They have 2018 schedules and could run any analytics they wanted to on what schools actually travelled this past season. If they didn’t hide behind districts are 2 years away so we don’t know what they’ll look like excuse we could compare travel before and after.

Model likely districts based upon today’s enrollments and success factors and assume that avg travel of past seasons is what we’ll get in the 2 non district games. We can’t know yet how schools with co-ops will react so just assume they’ll hold. IHSA could figure out where positive and negative travel impacts are, the overall net impact, and maybe even find in the data a few schools that may be good exceptions to district up or down a level to smooth things out

Model likely districts based upon today’s enrollments and success factors and assume that avg travel of past seasons is what we’ll get in the 2 non district games. We can’t know yet how schools with co-ops will react so just assume they’ll hold. IHSA could figure out where positive and negative travel impacts are, the overall net impact, and maybe even find in the data a few schools that may be good exceptions to district up or down a level to smooth things out
IMO I think they will have to have some flexibility to move teams up/down one class in Districts to accommodate reasonable travel miles and competition strength.

Reactions: CPSFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT