ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

A few thoughts:
- No mention of assets from a Fields trade.
- No mention of the cost control they get with resetting the QB on a rookie deal.

I've gotten to the point where I'm not going to have a strong opinion either way, but I think drafting Williams is the move.
I'm reading a Fields trade would likely result in a second round pick this year...nowhere near the haul they could make if they traded down in the draft once or twice while keeping Fields. Plus, Fields is a known commodity in the NFL. He has slowly and steadily improved from his rookie season and has turned into a locker room leader. And, he has done that despite having a bunch of matadors on the OL. At only 25 years old, I don't think he has reached his potential yet, and I'd like to see how much more he improves with a much stronger supporting cast, which I think they could achieve through piling up a sh!t ton of draft picks.

Yes, the rookie deal salary reset is attractive. But if that is a primary factor in the Bears taking a chance on Williams, then they are guilty of what Ditka accused them of decades ago -- tossing nickels around like manhole covers. You won't see many successful NFL teams that are penny wise and pound foolish.

Reactions: rosehen
I'm reading a Fields trade would likely result in a second round pick this year...nowhere near the haul they could make if they traded down in the draft once or twice while keeping Fields. Plus, Fields is a known commodity in the NFL. He has slowly and steadily improved from his rookie season and has turned into a locker room leader. And, he has done that despite having a bunch of matadors on the OL. At only 25 years old, I don't think he has reached his potential yet, and I'd like to see how much more he improves with a much stronger supporting cast, which I think they could achieve through piling up a sh!t ton of draft picks.

Yes, the rookie deal salary reset is attractive. But if that is a primary factor in the Bears taking a chance on Williams, then they are guilty of what Ditka accused them of decades ago -- tossing nickels around like manhole covers. You won't see many successful NFL teams that are penny wise and pound foolish.
I disagree with your last statement. In a salary cap era, the Bears are not cheap when it comes to players and salaries. The rookie qb deal is not being cheap it's being able to allocate resources before the QB takes up a quarter of your cap... maybe an exaggeration but you get the point.

The rookie deal is part of the equation.

Last edited:
I am torn on what the Bears should do with the QB situation. Trade pick keep Fields?
Question when was the last time the wording Generational used in the draft? Who was the last draft pick called a generational talent? I seriously don’t remember what player that was.

I am torn on what the Bears should do with the QB situation. Trade pick keep Fields?
Question when was the last time the wording Generational used in the draft? Who was the last draft pick called a generational talent? I seriously don’t remember what player that was.
Probably Trevor Lawrence

Reactions: rosehen
Yesterday I received an online poll, which became apparent that it was initiated by the Bears, for a new stadium proposal. For some reason I got it twice and the questions led to gauging support for an enclosed stadium on the museum campus. Although other questions asked if NW Indiana or Aurora or Arlington Heights were preferable, it focused on Chicago. I of course am opposed unless it allows the Prep Bowl again. Interesting to note that they’re likely to ask for a 60/40 split, with some Bears HoF and retail space and offices thrown in.

Reactions: RockSoup
The only other time the Bears used the #1 pick was in 1947, so you may have seen this movie before, but most of us haven't. Who have the Bears missed on that was touted as a generational talent? Trubisky was taken at #2 and the Bears were criticized for that move from the word go, so it's not like he was labeled as "can't miss" and was a bust.

The movie I was talking about was drafting or trading for a highly touted QB and then not surrounding him with enough talent to allow him to reach his potential. Leading actors in those movies are guys like Trubisky, Cutler (Remember him getting sacked NINE times in the FIRST HALF against the Giants? He got pummeled so bad in that game he got concussed and missed a game and a half. Came back after the concussion and got sacked six times in his first game back.), Grossman, McNown, and now Fields. WIlliams could well have what it takes to be the next Mahomes, but he won't ever get there if the Bears take him and surround him with mediocre talent.

Fields appears to be well liked, but I really haven't heard anyone say anything about his leadership qualities. Y

I won't rub it in your face with links to articles. Just Google Justin Fields Leadership. You'll see plenty of references.

You failed to mention that if you keep Fields you have to pay him. Extending Fields will cost around $50 million per year. Not saying he's worth that much, that's just the going rate for starting QB's. That's going to limit what they can do in free agency. Also, you're assuming they would also get a veteran player in any trade back. Just because the Panthers offered that doesn't mean another team will do the same this year. Who would you want from the Pats or Falcons (two top 10 teams who will likely be looking for a QB)?

Am I supposed to argue against myself when I state my opinion? They have him for two more seasons at his rookie salary if they keep him and exercise their fifth year option. If he starts and leads them to the playoffs both years, they better damn well pay him and keep him. What do you want to do, rotate QBs on a five-year cycle to save money? Do you know of any other NFL teams that do that? I'm thinking the Bears will be offered more for the 1st pick of the draft this year than the Panthers offered last year. And why don't you mention DC as a team that needs a QB?

You also assuming a #2 WR would be available wherever they end up trading back to. You didn't even mention where you would have the Bears drafting or trading with, just a lot of assumptions.

I said the Bears could acquire talented players through draft, trade or free agency. There's a handful of WRs going into free agency this year that I think would be improvements over Mooney. Look, if the Bears choose to let Mooney go the free agency route, they HAVE to pick up a #2 somewhere.

As of now I'm still on the side that thinks they should keep Fields, mainly because I'm not sold on Williams, draft Harrison #1 and at #9 take Turner.
Turner might not be available at #9. I've seen him projected higher in a couple of mock drafts. Why draft Harrison #1? I'm seeing that Williams is likely a lock at #1. Trade down one or two spots, get more picks and talent as a result, and then pick Harrison at #2 or #3. I like him.

If the Bears keep the #1 pick they will need to address most needs in free agency as they currently only have 6 draft picks.

I think if the Bears keep the #1 pick, they will use it to pick up Williams.

"Only" six picks? That's just one fewer pick than there are rounds. They've got five picks in the first four rounds and likely more if they decide to trade down.

The movie I was talking about was drafting or trading for a highly touted QB and then not surrounding him with enough talent to allow him to reach his potential. Leading actors in those movies are guys like Trubisky, Cutler (Remember him getting sacked NINE times in the FIRST HALF against the Giants? He got pummeled so bad in that game he got concussed and missed a game and a half. Came back after the concussion and got sacked six times in his first game back.), Grossman, McNown, and now Fields. WIlliams could well have what it takes to be the next Mahomes, but he won't ever get there if the Bears take him and surround him with mediocre talent.

I won't rub it in your face with links to articles. Just Google Justin Fields Leadership. You'll see plenty of references.

Am I supposed to argue against myself when I state my opinion? They have him for two more seasons at his rookie salary if they keep him and exercise their fifth year option. If he starts and leads them to the playoffs both years, they better damn well pay him and keep him. What do you want to do, rotate QBs on a five-year cycle to save money? Do you know of any other NFL teams that do that? I'm thinking the Bears will be offered more for the 1st pick of the draft this year than the Panthers offered last year. And why don't you mention DC as a team that needs a QB?

I said the Bears could acquire talented players through draft, trade or free agency. There's a handful of WRs going into free agency this year that I think would be improvements over Mooney. Look, if the Bears choose to let Mooney go the free agency route, they HAVE to pick up a #2 somewhere.

Turner might not be available at #9. I've seen him projected higher in a couple of mock drafts. Why draft Harrison #1? I'm seeing that Williams is likely a lock at #1. Trade down one or two spots, get more picks and talent as a result, and then pick Harrison at #2 or #3. I like him.

I think if the Bears keep the #1 pick, they will use it to pick up Williams.

"Only" six picks? That's just one fewer pick than there are rounds. They've got five picks in the first four rounds and likely more if they decide to trade down.
Ramblinman
Your doing all this banking on Fields is our guy. I don’t know if Fields is our guy. He struggles to find the open guy when he has time. That’s scary in year 3. He doesn’t throw to spots he only passes to open receivers and it’s usually a late pass. Fields is not a real leader. He doesn’t take control and yes the players like him because he is a good guy but not a take charge leader.
I am not saying we should trade him, I don’t know but I am not sold he is going to improve enough to say he is our guy.
I am on the fence about Williams but I don’t like the thought that we pass on a generational talent. The QBs we selected in the past were not called generational.

Other than Cutler, who was highly touted? None of those other QBs listed were labeled generational or highly touted.

Yep all those articles came out before the season and he was labeled a leader by talking heads and journalists. Wasn't mention from teammates or coaches.

False. His 5th year option would be north of $20 million. DC needs a QB and will draft one but the Bears would get the least from them to just move up one spot and likely not a high quality veteran.

Fine, then take Verse, I like him too. Who says DC or NE are going to offer what the Bears want for the #1 pick? They've made it clear they want a historic haul and I really don't see DC or NE leveraging their future to move up 1 or 2 spots. Don't over complicate it, Harrison is the best player in the draft, take him. If Fields can't get it done with Moore, Harrison, and Kmet then you know he's gotta go.

Yes, only 6 picks. That's tied for lowest in the league. There are at least 6 teams with at least 10 picks.

What's the best way to achieve long term success for the Bears?

1. Draft a potentially generational talent, hope he pans out, and surround him with average players. We've seen this movie before.

2, Keep a serviceable, locker room leader Fields. Find out what his ceiling really is by surrounding him with better players. Trade down (maybe twice) and load up on good 2024, '25 and '26 picks PLUS an immediate veteran starter like the Bears got last year with Moore. Talk about an impact player! Using the draft, trades, and free agency, give Fields an above average OL (for once) and a strong #2 WR to complement Moore.

Do #1 and it's more of the same in terms of the Bears' inability to develop a QB. Hard to develop a QB when he mostly gets sacked, throws in a hurry, or runs for his life.

Do #2 and the Bears become a playoff qualifier in one or two years, with good picks still available to them in '25 and '26.

I like it but I like to fill holes with the draft rather than free agency. My top positions to address are WR, Center and Pass Rusher in the draft.

Then I tell Fielda he needs to go out and win a new contract with the Bears this year otherwise see you later.

Ramblinman
Your doing all this banking on Fields is our guy. I don’t know if Fields is our guy. He struggles to find the open guy when he has time. That’s scary in year 3. He doesn’t throw to spots he only passes to open receivers and it’s usually a late pass. Fields is not a real leader. He doesn’t take control and yes the players like him because he is a good guy but not a take charge leader.
I am not saying we should trade him, I don’t know but I am not sold he is going to improve enough to say he is our guy.
I am on the fence about Williams but I don’t like the thought that we pass on a generational talent. The QBs we selected in the past were not called generational.
Fields is a known commodity. Each year, he has gotten better. What if he continues to improve, we get rid of him, and he goes on to have a long and successful career elsewhere? He would become the Bears equivalent of Loy Brock. I still feel like he will continue to improve and that his improvement curve will be more dramatic if we can get him some protection and find receivers who will run good routes and hold on to the ball. Those who are saying he is struggling don't take into account how often he is pressured or how often his receivers don't get open or how often they drop the ball. I think you have to discount his performance because of the crap team he has had around him his first three years.

What good is a generational talent at QB without good protection and weapons? Do you want to see Williams in a Bear uniform running for his life or getting concussed because his OL is a bunch of matadors? What makes him immune from the same fate as other "generational talents" coming out of college like Jameis Winston, JaMarcus Russell, etc.?

The Bears won the Super Bowl with McMahon as QB. They went to the Super Bowl with Grossman as QB. Baltimore won the Super Bowl with Flacco the Delaware Blue Hen as their QB. You obviously don't need to be a generational talent to lead a team to the promised land.

Last edited:
Yep all those articles came out before the season and he was labeled a leader by talking heads and journalists. Wasn't mention from teammates or coaches.

You couldn't be any more wrong if you tried. He has been labeled a leader by players, coaches and even Kevin Warren. Google it.

Fine, then take Verse, I like him too. Who says DC or NE are going to offer what the Bears want for the #1 pick? They've made it clear they want a historic haul and I really don't see DC or NE leveraging their future to move up 1 or 2 spots. Don't over complicate it, Harrison is the best player in the draft, take him. If Fields can't get it done with Moore, Harrison, and Kmet then you know he's gotta go.
Don't over complicate it? So just take Harrison at #1 when you could have him at #2 or #3 PLUS a haul (historic or otherwise)? That makes absolutely no sense.

Don't over complicate it? So just take Harrison at #1 when you could have him at #2 or #3 PLUS a haul (historic or otherwise)? That makes absolutely no sense.
Who says they could draft him at 2 or 3? I haven't even heard any rumors that DC or NE is willing or interested to trade to move up. Poles is on record as saying it will take a historic haul to get the Bears off the top spot and I don't see either of those teams giving up that much to move up only one or two spots.

There is/was a rumor Bears were going to trade Fields to Cards for both of their 1st round picks & their 2nd rounder. If that really did happen the Bears would hold 5 of the first 35 picks of the draft!!! But it won't happen

Bears are as boring as the Sox. Both want new stadiums yet neither can put a winning team on the field. “If you build it, they will come”. Meh.
Sox could have the best team in baseball & the Cubs the worst & the Cubs would still outdraw them. I remember when the Sox were going to build a stadium at the Old Chicago site then(and i still have my shirt) move to St.Pete. The Florida Sox

Sox could have the best team in baseball & the Cubs the worst & the Cubs would still outdraw them. I remember when the Sox were going to build a stadium at the Old Chicago site then(and i still have my shirt) move to St.Pete. The Florida Sox

Cub fans like Wrigley Field & the old WGN free games and not the Cubs.

Move the Cubs home field to the Cell and they don't draw much.

I haven't even heard any rumors that DC or NE is willing or interested to trade to move up. Poles is on record as saying it will take a historic haul to get the Bears off the top spot and I don't see either of those teams giving up that much to move up only one or two spots.
Perhaps not, but perhaps. Who really knows at this point?

Poles let it leak that he wants a historic haul for the first pick of the draft. He is establishing a price point of sorts and saying that he will entertain offers. What GMs from ANY teams interested in trading up for the #1 pick in the draft are going to leak what they are willing to pay so that guys like you and me can "hear rumors?"

You can, though, look for signs. Who did DC just hire to be their OC and where did he come from? Is it pure coincidence for them to hire a guy who played QB in college, coached Mahomes at Texas Tech, coached Williams at USC, and never coached a day in his life in the NFL?

Perhaps not, but perhaps. Who really knows at this point?

Poles let it leak that he wants a historic haul for the first pick of the draft. He is establishing a price point of sorts and saying that he will entertain offers. What GMs from ANY teams interested in trading up for the #1 pick in the draft are going to leak what they are willing to pay so that guys like you and me can "hear rumors?"

You can, though, look for signs. Who did DC just hire to be their OC and where did he come from? Is it pure coincidence for them to hire a guy who played QB in college, coached Mahomes at Texas Tech, coached Williams at USC, and never coached a day in his life in the NFL?
Kingsbury actually coached the Arizona Cardinals, but I generally agree with the rest of your post

There is/was a rumor Bears were going to trade Fields to Cards for both of their 1st round picks & their 2nd rounder. If that really did happen the Bears would hold 5 of the first 35 picks of the draft!!! But it won't happen
That's never ever going to happen. Total pipedream.

Cub fans like Wrigley Field & the old WGN free games and not the Cubs.

Move the Cubs home field to the Cell and they don't draw much.
I agree that WGN helped build a nationwide fanbase and Wrigley is a draw for tourists but the Cubs draw no matter where they go. They call miller park in Milwaukee "wrigley north". There's always a huge cubs contingent at road games so I don't think it matters where their stadium is located.

Saw this on ESPN today. What would you do?

Option 1 - Draft Caleb Williams

Option 2- Trade pick to Washington and get
* first round pick this year (2nd overall)
* first round pick next year
* this years 2nd rd pick (40th)

Saw this on ESPN today. What would you do?

Option 1 - Draft Caleb Williams

Option 2- Trade pick to Washington and get
* first round pick this year (2nd overall)
* first round pick next year
* this years 2nd rd pick (40th)

I'd tell Washington that they need to sweeten the deal.

The Panthers set the market for the #1 pick in the draft last year when they gave the Bears DJ Moore, first round picks in 2023 (the #9 pick overall) and 2024, and second round picks in 2023 and 2025. They made that trade so that they could pick Bryce Young who, most folks would agree, has a lower ceiling than Williams. They would need to add a veteran starter that would fill a need and at least a 2nd round pick next year. They can do those all those things or they can have their pick of Maye or Daniels.

Last edited:
I'd tell Washington that they need to sweeten the deal.

The Panthers set the market for the #1 pick in the draft last year when they gave the Bears DJ Moore, first round picks in 2023 (the #9 pick overall) and 2024, and second round picks in 2023 and 2025. They made that trade so that they could pick Bryce Young who, most folks would agree, has a lower ceiling than Williams. They would need to add a veteran starter that would fill a need and at least a 2nd round pick next year. They can do those all those things or they can have their pick of Maye or Daniels.
No chance Washington offers anything close to that to only move up one spot.

Carolina made that deal to move up 8 spots in the draft, which is somewhat significant, not one spot.

Carolina made that deal to move up 8 spots in the draft, which is somewhat significant, not one spot.
I agree with you to a point but if a team thinks he's "the guy" they will spend A LOT to move up one spot....

Reactions: corey90
I agree with you to a point but if a team thinks he's "the guy" they will spend A LOT to move up one spot....
Not that much though. For example, the Bears traded up one spot from 3 to 2 in 2017 to draft "their guy" Trubisky. The trade details aren't close to what ramblinman thinks Washington should offer.

Bears get - #2 overall pick
49ers get - #3 overall pick, Bears 2nd round pick (67 overall), Bears 4th round pick (111 overall), and Bears 2018 3rd round pick.

Not that much though. For example, the Bears traded up one spot from 3 to 2 in 2017 to draft "their guy" Trubisky. The trade details aren't close to what ramblinman thinks Washington should offer.

Bears get - #2 overall pick
49ers get - #3 overall pick, Bears 2nd round pick (67 overall), Bears 4th round pick (111 overall), and Bears 2018 3rd round pick.
Fair but it also matters what player a team is trying to get. Williams and Mitch are not apples to apples.

I'm leaning more and more of the direction to trade the pick and still get a QB.

1st round QB's only hit a small portion of the time. Trade the pick if someone is going to give you something ridiculous and still get a QB.

Any chance the Bears trade the pick and get a ransom of picks in return. Draft JJ at #9 and keep Fields for one more year???

I'm leaning more and more of the direction to trade the pick and still get a QB.

1st round QB's only hit a small portion of the time. Trade the pick if someone is going to give you something ridiculous and still get a QB.

Any chance the Bears trade the pick and get a ransom of picks in return. Draft JJ at #9 and keep Fields for one more year???
If you trade the pick you roll with Fields.

Reactions: 4Afan
Exactly right, on both counts.

If Washington really wants Williams, they would pretty much pay anything for him.
No, no they wouldn't. Even if they think he's the guy why would they sacrifice their future and not be able to surround Williams with talent for years to come? Look how that's playing out for Carolina.

You guys think that just because something good actually happened and the Bears fleeced Carolina that it should always be that way in every trade they make. Reverse the situation, what would you be ok with the Bears giving up if they had the 2nd pick and were hell bent on getting Williams? Would you be ok with them giving up the #9 pick, their 3rd round pick, next year's 1st round pick, and Kmet, Sweat, or Moore.

Look at the deal the Saints made in 1999 the draft to move up 7 spots in the first round from 12 to 5: They traded their 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks PLUS their 1st and 3rd round picks in the 2000 draft to Washington for the FIFTH pick of the first round so they could get Ricky Williams.

My point, and that of Siu CubFan8, is that every team has a price at which they will both buy and sell. The Bears say they want a historic haul offer for the FIRST pick of the draft. If Washington MUST have Williams, they MUST pay dearly for him.

Reactions: colin2229
Look at the deal the Saints made in 1999 the draft to move up 7 spots from 12 to 5: They traded their 1st (12th pick of the draft), 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks PLUS their 1st and 3rd round picks in the 2000 draft to Washington for their FIFTH pick of the first round so they could get Ricky Williams.

My point, and that of Siu CubFan8, is that every team has a price at which they will both buy and sell. The Bears say they want a historic haul offer for the FIRST pick of the draft. If Washington MUST HAVE Williams, they will pay dearly for him.
Again, that's 7 picks they moved up, not one. That trade is also thought to be one of the worst ever and there really hasn't been a trade close to that since. I think the most the Bears could expect from DC is their 2nd and 3rd round this year and their 1st next year, but that could still be a stretch.

Yes, teams can get carried away when they have tunnel vision and focus on one guy, but you have to remember at it's heart the NFL is a business, now more than ever, and teams need to see the perceived value in giving up that much for one player knowing they won't have high future picks to build around him.

No, no they wouldn't. Even if they think he's the guy why would they sacrifice their future and not be able to surround Williams with talent for years to come? Look how that's playing out for Carolina.

You guys think that just because something good actually happened and the Bears fleeced Carolina that it should always be that way in every trade they make. Reverse the situation, what would you be ok with the Bears giving up if they had the 2nd pick and were hell bent on getting Williams? Would you be ok with them giving up the #9 pick, their 3rd round pick, next year's 1st round pick, and Kmet, Sweat, or Moore.
The 49ers traded 3 first round picks to Miami to trade up and get Trey Lance. Working out fine for them.

Again, that's 7 picks they moved up, not one. That trade is also thought to be one of the worst ever and there really hasn't been a trade close to that since. I think the most the Bears could expect from DC is their 2nd and 3rd round this year and their 1st next year, but that could still be a stretch.

Yes, teams can get carried away when they have tunnel vision and focus on one guy, but you have to remember at it's heart the NFL is a business, now more than ever, and teams need to see the perceived value in giving up that much for one player knowing they won't have high future picks to build around him.
DC's 1st, 2nd, 3rd and next years 1st is pretty good.

Reactions: 4Afan
The 49ers traded 3 first round picks to Miami to trade up and get Trey Lance. Working out fine for them.
49ers were also in a better situation than DC at that time. The 49ers had the 12 pick so they had a decent record the year before and they also gave up that much to move up 9 spots, not 1.

If front offices think Williams is what scouts think he is, the Bears will get a ton even for a move from #2 to #1. That is the point IMO. I don't think that will happen.

49ers were also in a better situation than DC at that time. The 49ers had the 12 pick so they had a decent record the year before and they also gave up that much to move up 9 spots, not 1.
Caleb Williams wasn’t on the table. That’s the difference this year

They gave up all that for a 1-AA prospect

Reactions: SiuCubFan8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT