ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

I think in the end we both want the Bears to improve how they go about doing that we shall see. I don’t care what impact players they get but I hope they get a couple because if they trade down yes they may get more picks but it comes at a cost. Yes they will have more picks and might strike gold with a lower round pick but it’s luck at that point. I will say again because it is worth repeating. The Bears have a bunch of average NFL players already and they play like average players and an average team. We may not agree on how the Bears pick in this draft but if the Bears improve will both be happy. Let’s see how they mess this up, because it’s in their DNA.
By the way why do you think Poles kept Eberflus?
I’ll push back and say they certainly have a group of above average players. RT/RG/TE/WR1/secondary/Sweat/Edmunds.. With that said they need to add more talent no question there.

Reactions: corey90 and 4Afan
In talking about impact players, let me mention this. The Bears made a deal with Baltimore that sent Roquan Smith there. I didn't like the deal at the time. But I am ok with it now. The Bears can use the money they didn't have to pay him.

But here is a huge deal involving an impact player. Corey, would you say Tyreek Hill is an impact player? So, would I. When the Chiefs made the deal with Miami that sent Hill there, my buddy who is a Chiefs season ticket holder was furious. But, how has it worked out? let's look.

The Chiefs traded Hill for a package of draft picks. Remember the Hill contract was coming up and KC knew they would have to offer a nine figure contract...which the Dolphins did. Two of the KC draft picks they acquired turned into All-Pro cornerback Trent McDuffie along with rookie Chamarri Conner who played very well in the playoffs. Some of the other selections they received they used to move around the draft board and add other players to the mix.

The cash savings allowed them to make important free agent signings: Safety Justin Reid, linebacker Drue Tranquill, safety Mike Edwards and defensive end Charles Omenihu. That influx of talent helped the Chiefs become the league's number two ranked defense. And that is what got the Chiefs through the struggles the offense went through a while back. However, Omenihu will miss the SB because of a torn ACL.

The biggest improvement came in the secondary with McDuffie, L'Jarius Sneed, Josh Williams and Jaylen Watson.

In my opinion, it's that deal that got the Chiefs to this year's SB. Without that defense KC wouldn't be playing this Sunday. No disrespect to Mahomes and the offense, for sure. But they only gave up 41 playoff points which is 13 per game. Pretty damned good. And that defense got them through some real tough times in games that could have been lost without them.

Two points. First, sometimes dealing an impact player away can turn out to be a good idea. And second? My buddy in KC ain't furious anymore.

In talking about impact players, let me mention this. The Bears made a deal with Baltimore that sent Roquan Smith there. I didn't like the deal at the time. But I am ok with it now. The Bears can use the money they didn't have to pay him.

But here is a huge deal involving an impact player. Corey, would you say Tyreek Hill is an impact player? So, would I. When the Chiefs made the deal with Miami that sent Hill there, my buddy who is a Chiefs season ticket holder was furious. But, how has it worked out? let's look.

The Chiefs traded Hill for a package of draft picks. Remember the Hill contract was coming up and KC knew they would have to offer a nine figure contract...which the Dolphins did. Two of the KC draft picks they acquired turned into All-Pro cornerback Trent McDuffie along with rookie Chamarri Conner who played very well in the playoffs. Some of the other selections they received they used to move around the draft board and add other players to the mix.

The cash savings allowed them to make important free agent signings: Safety Justin Reid, linebacker Drue Tranquill, safety Mike Edwards and defensive end Charles Omenihu. That influx of talent helped the Chiefs become the league's number two ranked defense. And that is what got the Chiefs through the struggles the offense went through a while back. However, Omenihu will miss the SB because of a torn ACL.

The biggest improvement came in the secondary with McDuffie, L'Jarius Sneed, Josh Williams and Jaylen Watson.

In my opinion, it's that deal that got the Chiefs to this year's SB. Without that defense KC wouldn't be playing this Sunday. No disrespect to Mahomes and the offense, for sure. But they only gave up 41 playoff points which is 13 per game. Pretty damned good. And that defense got them through some real tough times in games that could have been lost without them.

Two points. First, sometimes dealing an impact player away can turn out to be a good idea. And second? My buddy in KC ain't furious anymore.

3rd point, you can't judge a trade for a few years, especially when future picks are involved. Obviously, there are outliers....

Reactions: 4Afan
I think history will show they did not draft the most dominant player in the draft with their 1st pick when he was sitting in front of their face.
Carter was not the most dominant player in last year's draft. See my comments regarding him on the Bears in my previous post.

Bears didn't have the luxury of gambling on a risk in the 1st round last year.
Lol
Teams picking #1 & 10 seldom have a luxury to risk but still do. Here we go again this year with virtually the same #1 & 9 You think they have that luxury this year? 😂

Lol
Teams picking #1 & 10 seldom have a luxury to risk but still do. Here we go again this year with virtually the same #1 & 9 You think they have that luxury this year? 😂
The Eagles were coming off a Super Bowl appearance and had that pick due to a trade, so yes they had the luxury of taking a risk and were in a completely different situation than the Bears.

Depending on what the Bears decide to do with the first pick and what they do in free agency prior to the draft, yes they are in a better position to take a risk this year.

Reactions: corey90
The Eagles were coming off a Super Bowl appearance and had that pick due to a trade, so yes they had the luxury of taking a risk and were in a completely different situation than the Bears.

Depending on what the Bears decide to do with the first pick and what they do in free agency prior to the draft, yes they are in a better position to take a risk this year.
Lots of historical Bears blunders over the years but I understand passing on him just like other teams did as well. Just because it's the Bears doesn't mean every move is bad!! That is how some look at it, I guess.

By the way why do you think Poles kept Eberflus?
Perhaps because he inherited a crap team, went 3-14 his first year, then went 7-10 his second year while compiling a 5-3 record in the second half of the season. All done with those average players you claim they have. Hell, they even started four games with an undrafted rookie QB from D2 and went 2-2 with him. Why would you not keep a guy like that?

Last edited:
Perhaps because he inherited a crap team, went 3-14 his first year, then went 7-10 his second year while compiling a 5-3 record in the second half of the season. All done with those average players you claim they have. Hell, they started four games with an undrafted rookie QB from D2 and went 2-2 with him. Why would you not keep a guy like that?
On principle, I agree. The record did improve. But before we get out ahead of our skis, let's remember who they beat and who they didn't. Next year's schedule looks to be tougher. If they improve on that then we can talk. Hey they might improve...and they may not. If they keep Fields, they won't.

Reactions: ramblinman
As of today, with a lot of people picking KC to win the SB, I am going to pick SF. I just have this natural instinct to go against the crowd and grain. I do know SF is favored by two-and-a-half.

Reactions: Irishfan90
On principle, I agree. The record did improve. But before we get out ahead of our skis, let's remember who they beat and who they didn't. Next year's schedule looks to be tougher. If they improve on that then we can talk. Hey they might improve...and they may not. If they keep Fields, they won't.
Looking to next year's schedule is a fruitless game in the NFL.

On principle, I agree. The record did improve. But before we get out ahead of our skis, let's remember who they beat and who they didn't.
In the last third of the season, I saw them decisively beat Detroit, a team from their division that wound up in the the NFC championship game. I also saw them lose 5 games by single-digit margins.

Perhaps because he inherited a crap team, went 3-14 his first year, then went 7-10 his second year while compiling a 5-3 record in the second half of the season. All done with those average players you claim they have. Hell, they even started four games with an undrafted rookie QB from D2 and went 2-2 with him. Why would you not keep a guy like that?
They played better when it really didn’t matter. The teams they beat were not very good except Detroit. I do agree with you about keeping the D-2 QB. I think he will make a good backup Maybe work his way into a better player than anyone thought. The starter has to be figured out first. Fields or ?

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
They played better when it really didn’t matter.
If ever there was a point during the season when it mattered most, it was in the second half when the Bears were playoff eligible up until the point when they were eliminated from contention after the second-to-last weekend of games. It was during that part of the season that they played their best football. During their last 8 games, they went 5-3, with one of those losses being after they were out of playoff contention, and the other two losses were by two and three-point margins.

If ever there was a point during the season when it mattered most, it was in the second half when the Bears were playoff eligible up until the point when they were eliminated from contention after the second-to-last weekend of games. It was during that part of the season that they played their best football. During their last 8 games, they went 5-3, with one of those losses being after they were out of playoff contention, and the other two losses were by two and three-point margins.
I don’t what’s worse starting off 0-4 or finishing just trying to get a win to give fans false hope. I wasn’t buying it.

Clearly this team got better as the season went on but make no mistake, this team is still a ways away from being a playoff contender. Not a playoff team but a contender.

They aren’t in the realm of even the same zip code as the niners or chiefs - yes they beat the Lions but Detroit is better - Dallas LA Philly Tampa GB - all better.

I love the trajectory right now and if it continues this should be a playoff team next year. Just think we are still 2-3 years from contending.

Clearly this team got better as the season went on but make no mistake, this team is still a ways away from being a playoff contender. Not a playoff team but a contender.

They aren’t in the realm of even the same zip code as the niners or chiefs - yes they beat the Lions but Detroit is better - Dallas LA Philly Tampa GB - all better.

I love the trajectory right now and if it continues this should be a playoff team next year. Just think we are still 2-3 years from contending.
I completely agree.

I, too, like the trajectory. If I didn't, I could find plenty of reasons to paint the situation as glass half empty.

I completely agree.

I, too, like the trajectory. If I didn't, I could find plenty of reasons to paint the situation as glass half empty.
I also agree. Poles said when he started that he builds through the draft and this was a multi year effort, We must be patient

Bears cut Eddie Jackson and Cody Whitehair...not surprising. Opens up about 20 million in cap space.

The Eddie Jackson moved improved the team alone just like the White Sox getting better by just cutting Albert Belle.

Tell you the truth I want Fields at QB.

If I can't have Fields then I would trade the #1 pick for more draft picks and pick Bo Nix later in the draft over taking Williams #1.

I also want a center and pass rusher in this draft.

What's the best way to achieve long term success for the Bears?

1. Draft a potentially generational talent, hope he pans out, and surround him with average players. We've seen this movie before.

2, Keep a serviceable, locker room leader Fields. Find out what his ceiling really is by surrounding him with better players. Trade down (maybe twice) and load up on good 2024, '25 and '26 picks PLUS an immediate veteran starter like the Bears got last year with Moore. Talk about an impact player! Using the draft, trades, and free agency, give Fields an above average OL (for once) and a strong #2 WR to complement Moore.

Do #1 and it's more of the same in terms of the Bears' inability to develop a QB. Hard to develop a QB when he mostly gets sacked, throws in a hurry, or runs for his life.

Do #2 and the Bears become a playoff qualifier in one or two years, with good picks still available to them in '25 and '26.

Reactions: Gene K.
What's the best way to achieve long term success for the Bears?

1. Draft a potentially generational talent, hope he pans out, and surround him with average players. We've seen this movie before.

2, Keep a serviceable, locker room leader Fields. Find out what his ceiling really is by surrounding him with better players. Trade down (maybe twice) and load up on good 2024, '25 and '26 picks PLUS an immediate veteran starter like the Bears got last year with Moore. Talk about an impact player! Using the draft, trades, and free agency, give Fields an above average OL (for once) and a strong #2 WR to complement Moore.

Do #1 and it's more of the same in terms of the Bears' inability to develop a QB. Hard to develop a QB when he mostly gets sacked, throws in a hurry, or runs for his life.

Do #2 and the Bears become a playoff qualifier in one or two years, with good picks still available to them in '25 and '26.
A few thoughts:
- No mention of assets from a Fields trade.
- No mention of the cost control they get with resetting the QB on a rookie deal.

I've gotten to the point where I'm not going to have a strong opinion either way, but I think drafting Williams is the move.

A few thoughts:
- No mention of assets from a Fields trade.
- No mention of the cost control they get with resetting the QB on a rookie deal.

I've gotten to the point where I'm not going to have a strong opinion either way, but I think drafting Williams is the move.
What about all the rookies you will have on rookie deals?

The only other time the Bears used the #1 pick was in 1947, so you may have seen this movie before, but most of us haven't. Who have the Bears missed on that was touted as a generational talent? Trubisky was taken at #2 and the Bears were criticized for that move from the word go, so it's not like he was labeled as "can't miss" and was a bust.

Fields appears to be well liked, but I really haven't heard anyone say anything about his leadership qualities. You failed to mention that if you keep Fields you have to pay him. Extending Fields will cost around $50 million per year. Not saying he's worth that much, that's just the going rate for starting QB's. That's going to limit what they can do in free agency. Also, you're assuming they would also get a veteran player in any trade back. Just because the Panthers offered that doesn't mean another team will do the same this year. Who would you want from the Pats or Falcons (two top 10 teams who will likely be looking for a QB)?

You also assuming a #2 WR would be available wherever they end up trading back to. You didn't even mention where you would have the Bears drafting or trading with, just a lot of assumptions.

As has also been mentioned, there would be a return of picks if they trade Fields and would have more money for free agents with a QB on a rookie deal.

There's also the fact that some of these teams that may be interested in trading up for a QB may go after someone in free agency. The top QB's are likely to be Cousins, Wilson, Mayfield, and Flacco. It's a fair bet that at least one team who needs a QB and may have been willing to trade up will get their QB in free agency and keep their draft picks.

As of now I'm still on the side that thinks they should keep Fields, mainly because I'm not sold on Williams, draft Harrison #1 and at #9 take Turner. That gives them the best WR and Edge in the draft. Use the 3rd round pick on a Center and look for an interior DL, Safety, and OL depth in free agency. If the Bears keep the #1 pick they will need to address most needs in free agency as they currently only have 6 draft picks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT