ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Tons of people second-guessing Campbell, TODAY! The guy was just doing the same things he did all year to put the Lions in the Championship game. Do I attempt that first FG to make it a three score game? Yes. But I am not Dan Campbell. I can't stand when some coaches, coach one way during the season and another when the playoffs start regardless of what level we are talking about.

And NO. Dan Campbell didn't lose that game. Kindle Vildor let a pass hit him in the frickin' face mask allowing Brandon Aiyuk the opportunity to catch that ball...which he did. I suppose that was Campbell's fault. Jahmyr Gibbs lost a fumble that the 49ers turned into a TD drive. I suppose that was Campbell's fault. Josh Reynolds had two drops on a third and fourth down. I suppose that was Dan Campbell's fault too.

The plays were there for the Lions and the players didn't make them. They self-destructed in the second half. I have said the Lions defense was suspect or bad. They did score 31 points...and lost anyway. But the offense didn't get it done in the 2nd half either. They do play 4 quarters.

Reactions: CCfan and forlouann
Tons of people second-guessing Campbell, TODAY! The guy was just doing the same things he did all year to put the Lions in the Championship game. Do I attempt that first FG to make it a three score game? Yes. But I am not Dan Campbell. I can't stand when some coaches, coach one way during the season and another when the playoffs start regardless of what level we are talking about.

And NO. Dan Campbell didn't lose that game. Kindle Vildor let a pass hit him in the frickin' face mask allowing Brandon Aiyuk the opportunity to catch that ball...which he did. I suppose that was Campbell's fault. Jahmyr Gibbs lost a fumble that the 49ers turned into a TD drive. I suppose that was Campbell's fault. Josh Reynolds had two drops on a third and fourth down. I suppose that was Dan Campbell's fault too.

The plays were there for the Lions and the players didn't make them. They self-destructed in the second half. I have said the Lions defense was suspect or bad. They did score 31 points...and lost anyway. But the offense didn't get it done in the 2nd half either. They do play 4 quarters.
I didn't wait until TODAY, I was yelling for him to kick the FGs as it was happening, but I agree to an extent. Yes, that is how Campbell coached all year, but in the NFC championship game, as an underdog, on the road, you need to look at things a little differently then you do in a week 9 game against the Bears.

He didn't have any problem taking the points and kicking the FG at the end of the half instead of going for it. What was the logic there versus the other times?

SF came out and walked down the field but settled for a FG to start the 3rd, then Detroit moved the ball into FG range and couldn't convert on 4th down. The pass was dropped, but even if he catches it you can't assume they go on to score a TD. Take the points and got back up 3 scores halfway through the 3rd.

The second one was worse. The wheels were falling off and a FG slows SFs momentum a little. SF had just taken the lead, a FG ties the game and settles everything down for a few minutes. Instead SF gets the stop and goes down for another TD.

Then at the end of the game choosing to run the ball and having to burn a timeout put an end to the game. With all 3 timeouts they could have forced a punt and then you never know what happens.

Also, Vildor "let a pass hit him in the facemask"?C'mon, that's really how you saw that go down? A guy falling backwards has a ball hit him in the helmet and it turns into a freak catch and the DB just let it happen?

Reactions: doctor_d
The second one was worse. The wheels were falling off and a FG slows SFs momentum a little. SF had just taken the lead, a FG ties the game and settles everything down for a few minutes. Instead SF gets the stop and goes down for another TD.
I agree about this one. Regardless of how they played all year, they had a chance to tie the game, with 7 minutes left, after imploding for the previous 23 minutes. Tie it up, and give yourself a chance to play a 7min/OT game to go to the Super Bowl. I was cheering for the 49ers, but still thought it was a bad decision (before and after the play failed).

Reactions: 4Afan
I didn't wait until TODAY, I was yelling for him to kick the FGs as it was happening, but I agree to an extent. Yes, that is how Campbell coached all year, but in the NFC championship game, as an underdog, on the road, you need to look at things a little differently then you do in a week 9 game against the Bears.

He didn't have any problem taking the points and kicking the FG at the end of the half instead of going for it. What was the logic there versus the other times?

SF came out and walked down the field but settled for a FG to start the 3rd, then Detroit moved the ball into FG range and couldn't convert on 4th down. The pass was dropped, but even if he catches it you can't assume they go on to score a TD. Take the points and got back up 3 scores halfway through the 3rd.

Then at the end of the game choosing to run the ball and having to burn a timeout put an end to the game. With all 3 timeouts they could have forced a punt and then you never know what happens.

Also, Vildor "let a pass hit him in the facemask"?C'mon, that's really how you saw that go down? A guy falling backwards has a ball hit him in the helmet and it turns into a freak catch and the DB just let it happen?
Good summary. A couple head scratchers from OC Ben Johnson I saw was the 3rd down before the Reynolds 4th down drop was an inside run from the half-back position by the WR Amon-Ra St. Brown. It perplexes me when OCs do not use a player in a position that gains them an advantage.

And then, the running play that had to score was zone blocked. Your power game was killing the 0/1 tech all game. Put Ragnows hat on him and let Montgomery do his thing right off Ragnows right butt cheek. Instead, Ragnow is stepping and sealing along with all the other blockers on that ill-fated attempt. Bad play with downhill defense when run is recognized.

Everyone else has made good points for or against the aggressive style and I thought I’d add two non-aggressive plays when they needed power, a run with a talented WR but who is 5-10 180, and a zone blocked run at the goal line when it should have been Duo.

OK first of all I wasn't accusing you of second-guessing, necessarily. I was making a general statement of what I was hearing. At least let me accuse you of something before saying I am ok? Guilty conscience?

Campbell took the points just before the half because that attempt was a chip shot. Question asked and answered.

Yes, even if the receiver caught the pass on 4th down, you can't assume they would have gone on to score a TD. But there you are assuming the FG attempt would be made. There is no guarantee that FG is good, if attempted. If he does make the catch, by by going for it, Campbell is playing to score that TD or maybe get a closer FG attempt.

Sure the ball hit Kindle Vildor's face mask. But it could have been intercepted too. And it should have been knocked down at the very least. You need to look at it again. Fluke play made as a result of a poor play by Vildor.

The 49ers were simply a better team and it really shouldn't have been that close. Detroit surprised them in the early stages especially with the run game. But their self-destruction in the 2nd half wasn't the first time it happened this year. Again, they do play 4 quarters.

4Afan
You nailed it! I was right there with you yelling kick the FG. I was rooting for 49ers but man that was tough to take. You have to coach smart in a championship game. Little mistakes become ten times as big in a championship game. Yes Detroit choked but the coach made some bad moves not kicking the field goals. IMO. The momentum completely changed when the Niners stopped the 4th down play.

Having been a long suffering Lions fan for decades, with all the failure I have seen, I was thrilled to see Campbell have the testicular fortitude to continue to play to win in every situation except the field goal attempt at the end of the first half. Can't take your foot off the gas until it's time for victory formation. This is the NFL and you're never immune from a turn of events and a reversal of fortunes. The players failed to make the plays necessary to win. Nothing more, nothing less. That freak bounce off the face mask just shows how dumb luck actually figures in a game. As for my decades of disappointment, it is just the way the cookie has crumbled in strange ways over the many years. It's nice to have a coach that just wants to win and isn't afraid of being wrong. Maybe obtaining a couple better pass defenders and keeping the center healthy (the heart and soul of the team), the ball will bounce the Lion's way next year.

Having been a long suffering Lions fan for decades, with all the failure I have seen, I was thrilled to see Campbell have the testicular fortitude to continue to play to win in every situation except the field goal attempt at the end of the first half. Can't take your foot off the gas until it's time for victory formation. This is the NFL and you're never immune from a turn of events and a reversal of fortunes. The players failed to make the plays necessary to win. Nothing more, nothing less. That freak bounce off the face mask just shows how dumb luck actually figures in a game. As for my decades of disappointment, it is just the way the cookie has crumbled in strange ways over the many years. It's nice to have a coach that just wants to win and isn't afraid of being wrong. Maybe obtaining a couple better pass defenders and keeping the center healthy (the heart and soul of the team), the ball will bounce the Lion's way next year.
I love this post and it carries more weight than all the others because it's coming from a Lions fan. I totally agree with what you have said! It's easy to second-guess coaches and decisions. We all do it. But in the end if the plays are there to be made, the players have to make them. I will tell you this much. The Lions definitely have a better HC than the Bears. I like him. The arrow is definitely pointing up for the Detroit Lions organization.

I have to wonder what the second-guessers would have said if the Lions had converted on those 4th down plays and gone in for TDs. Would they come back here and admit they were wrong? Don't bet on it because 95% of the posters here have a problem doing that. I really don't know why other than to think they are preserving their precious egos.

These are some of the same people still saying Brock Purdy isn't that good. The guy tore his UCL in the NFC Championship game last year, came back this year and put up MVP numbers during the regular season and has lead his team to a Super Bowl. He played well when it really counted in two playoff games.

Last edited:
I love this post and it carries more weight than all the others because it's coming from a Lions fan. I totally agree with what you have said! It's easy to second-guess coaches and decisions. We all do it. But in the end if the plays are there to be made, the players have to make them. I will tell you this much. The Lions definitely have a better HC than the Bears. I like him. The arrow is definitely pointing up for the Detroit Lions organization.

I have to wonder what the second-guessers would have said if the Lions had converted on those 4th down plays and gone in for TDs. Would they come back here and admit they were wrong? Don't bet on it because 95% of the posters here have a problem doing that. I really don't know why other than to think they are preserving their precious egos.

These are some of the same people still saying Brock Purdy isn't that good. The guy tore his UCL in the NFC Championship game last year, came back this year and put up MVP numbers during the regular season and has lead his team to a Super Bowl. He played well when it really counted in two playoff games.
I watched Campbell's post game press conference yesterday. Honest, truthful, no bs. It's funny reading some of the postings on this thread how several say " No thanks
I don't want that guy for a coach. He made some mistakes." Don't worry guys, someone like that will never be hired by the current Bears organization.

We are absolutely stuck with this current group of coaching " geniuses "

I watched Campbell's post game press conference yesterday. Honest, truthful, no bs. It's funny reading some of the postings on this thread how several say " No thanks
I don't want that guy for a coach. He made some mistakes." Don't worry guys, someone like that will never be hired by the current Bears organization.

We are absolutely stuck with this current group of coaching " geniuses "
I have read the threads and I didn’t see anyone say they didn’t want him as their coach. I think it’s unfair to say posters are second guessing his decision. We all watched the game and some of us disagreed with him not kicking the FG. It didn’t work out for him and he learned what it’s like to play in a championship game. I would trade Eberflus in heartbeat for Campbell. 😊

How would you interpret this ? And the likes ? Hmmm
I missed that post. That’s one who else you got since you said several. Listen I believe he is a good coach that made rookie type mistakes. I will blame that on his excitement in a big game along with him being a natural aggressive guy. He will learn from this game. Certainly better than who we have as our coach . He will be very tough to take next year.

Reactions: bronco man
Campbell will be just fine. QBs win games. Coaches lose them. He had Lions right in the game with the NFCs best and hung tough. Lions will add on defense and look like a top 2 NFC team against next year.

Reactions: bronco man
I missed that post. That’s one who else you got since you said several. Listen I believe he is a good coach that made rookie type mistakes. I will blame that on his excitement in a big game along with him being a natural aggressive guy. He will learn from this game. Certainly better than who we have as our coach . He will be very tough to take next year.
Corey, let's not split hairs. It is still amazing to me we are in a discussion about why the Detroit Lions lost an NFC Championship game lol 😆

Campbell will be just fine. QBs win games. Coaches lose them. He had Lions right in the game with the NFCs best and hung tough. Lions will add on defense and look like a top 2 NFC team against next year.
QBs can certainly lose games too. But I will say again. The plays were there for the Lions players to make in crunch time and they simply didn't. Now, if a play is called and it blows up then yes, it's a bad play call. But the first downs could have been converted. They weren't bad plays.

Has anyone noticed that no one, who is second guessing Campbell on going for it on 4th down, isn't second guessing him about going for it on 4th down on the last Detroit drive? No one. They had the ball at the SF 3 yard line. It was 4th and goal and they were down by 10 points with 1:00 left in the 4th quarter.

If there was ever a time to kick the FG it was there because the Lions still had to get the ball back on the ensuing kickoff. If they miss on that play the game ends right there. But where are you guys regarding that? Crickets. And why?? OH YEAH. Because they succeeded on the play and scored a TD.

And that further cements my point that as long as they made it none of you would or did say a word. You are all second guessing the missed 4th down tries. And that is the easiest thing to do.

Reactions: forlouann
QBs can certainly lose games too. But I will say again. The plays were there for the Lions players to make in crunch time and they simply didn't. Now, if a play is called and it blows up then yes, it's a bad play call. But the first downs could have been converted. They weren't bad plays.

Has anyone noticed that no one, who is second guessing Campbell on going for it on 4th down, isn't second guessing him about going for it on 4th down on the last Detroit drive? No one. They had the ball at the SF 3 yard line. It was 4th and goal and they were down by 10 points with 1:00 left in the 4th quarter.

If there was ever a time to kick the FG it was there because the Lions still had to get the ball back on the ensuing kickoff. If they miss on that play the game ends right there. But where are you guys regarding that? Crickets. And why?? OH YEAH. Because they succeeded on the play and scored a TD.

And that further cements my point that as long as they made it none of you would or did say a word. You are all second guessing the missed 4th down tries. And that is the easiest thing to do.
QBs don’t often lose big games at this stage. Usually, whoever has the ball last wins in tight games come late playoffs. Coaches can’t make a play, they can only make a mistake.

I think your point on Campbell can be said in the 1Q as well… 4th down and Lions converted and turned it into a TD later in drive.

One other thing on the Lions, ya the players screwed up but we’re talking about one of the youngest rosters in the NFL. None if these guys outside Goff have sniffed a playoff game before. I chalk it up to youth, and we’ll see if Lions can get back.

QBs don’t often lose big games at this stage. Usually, whoever has the ball last wins in tight games come late playoffs. Coaches can’t make a play, they can only make a mistake.

I think your point on Campbell can be said in the 1Q as well… 4th down and Lions converted and turned it into a TD later in drive.

One other thing on the Lions, ya the players screwed up but we’re talking about one of the youngest rosters in the NFL. None if these guys outside Goff have sniffed a playoff game before. I chalk it up to youth, and we’ll see if Lions can get back.
No, the QBs don't often lose games at this stage. But that wasn't your original statement. If it was I wouldn't have responded they way I did. You changed your original statements from "QBs win games. Coaches lose them." And I don't agree with either of those statements.

But now that you have modified your statement, I find myself more in agreement with that.

I just don't like the second-guessing some of the people do here well after the play is done. And unless there is another thread about that game, I saw no one second-guessing at the time of the play. It was well after when, a negative affect showed itself.

And 4A fan was losing his mind saying he was yelling at the time that the decisions to go for it on 4th down were wrong. If it is another thread I missed it. Because the first thing I see from him here is his statement " Campbell's decisions cost them the game." And he posted that at 8:33 PM, a full three hours after the game started. Brilliant. As a matter of fact, there really weren't many in game posts in this thread.

Reactions: stl705

Funny
I was actually saying to kick the FG on that play. That time it worked out but even on that 4th down the smart play was the FG knowing you still needed another score. I mean either way they lost the game and the entire team choked in the 2nd half. Detroit had a great season and they should be proud of their season. That said we shall see if they can get as far next year.

I just don't like the second-guessing some of the people do here well after the play is done. And unless there is another thread about that game, I saw no one second-guessing at the time of the play. It was well after when, a negative affect showed itself.

And 4A fan was losing his mind saying he was yelling at the time that the decisions to go for it on 4th down were wrong. If it is another thread I missed it. Because the first thing I see from him here is his statement " Campbell's decisions cost them the game." And he posted that at 8:33 PM, a full three hours after the game started. Brilliant. As a matter of fact, there really weren't many in game posts in this thread.
How are you supposed to second guess someone before the play happens?

Sorry, I didn't know you were so interested in my live thoughts. This isn't the first place I think to come to for NFL discussion and I was with people enjoying the game, so again, my first thought wasn't to jump online period to provide live opinions.

My opinion hasn't changed, I still say they should have kicked the FG's. For those saying that just who Campbell is, I agree with that, but at the same time he settled for the FG at the end of the first half, so what was the difference here?

I've given my reasoning for the two 4th downs already.

At the end of the game you say no one questioned it because they scored, but I did question it because they ran on 3rd down and then had to burn a timeout which sealed the game. As I was discussing the game with those I was watching it with I thought they should have kicked the FG much earlier. With about 1:40 left they were on the SF 25 and it was first down. I said they should kick the FG then. That would have allowed them to kick deep and try to make 3 stops on defense. If they do that while using all 3 of their timeouts they would have got the ball back with around 1:15-1:20 left to go down and score the tying TD.

Any strategy in that situation was not likely to be successful, but my thinking is if you need a FG and a TD then I take the FG as soon as you possibly can so it leaves you the most possible time to get the ball back and get the TD.

When you see them lining up to go for it on 4th down. That is before the play happens.
Again, my apologies. I'll be sure to cancel my plans and stay home so I can be glued to my phone so I can provide up to the second analysis during the Super Bowl.

If you would have been with me last week you would have heard me say as they were lining up to go for it, "this is dumb, kick the FG."

Again, my apologies. I'll be sure to cancel my plans and stay home so I can be glued to my phone so I can provide up to the second analysis during the Super Bowl.

If you would have been with me last week you would have heard me say as they were lining up to go for it, "this is dumb, kick the FG."
You and a lot of other people were saying the same thing.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT