ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

I admit that my first reaction was the same as your post. Buffalo lost because they had a defensive collapse in the final 13 seconds of regular time and then again in OT.

That said, from purely an entertainment perspective, I am intrigued by the idea of allowing both teams to possess the ball at least once no matter what during OT. That game was so fun to watch, I didn't want it to end.
Heck, form a purely entertainment perspective I think the Chiefs and Bills should go best of 7.

I think the hold up to allowing teams a chance to match the score has been that they don't want the games going too long because of injuries/entertainment.

My solution(for use in the postseason only) would be to allow both teams a possession, but require they go for two if they score a td. Two point tries are very close to a 50/50 coin toss, but its decided by skill rather than luck. If they are still tied, next score of any kind wins.
I agree with your second paragraph. However, for the NFL to even suggest something like injuries may be a part of the current OT rule not being changed is laughable. That is from a league that added another game to the schedule and expanded the playoffs, then doesn't want a game to go maybe 5 minutes longer or more? Sounds like something the NFL would say.

It's professional sports. They get paid to stop the other team. Buffalo knew the rules going into the game.

I really hope those of you who want to see OT changed to both teams getting the ball are not the ones who rail against 10 year olds getting participation trophies, or 4-5 teams making the IHSA Playoffs. Because that inconsistency would be embarrassing.
I have to disagree with pretty much everything here. Of course Buffalo, above all teams, knows the rules. Here is something you may not know. A few years ago in the AFC Championship game, the Patriots won the OT coin toss in KC, marched down the field, scored a TD and won. After that game there was talk in the NFL about changing the OT rules. The teams voted on it and Buffalo was one of the teams that voted to keep the rule the way it was. So, you can bet your ass Buffalo knows the rules.

I am unaware of anyone in the Buffalo organization complaining about the current OT rule. If someone is, that is what speaks of inconsistency. If the media wasn't asking people in the Buffalo organization about the rule they should have. But you don't simply ask someone, "do you think the rule should be changed?" That's the wrong question because it will get a few different answers.

The proper question to ask someone, especially the Bills players is; " would you like to have had the opportunity to score after the Chiefs scored their TD?" Every single person is going to say yes to that question. That tells me the rule should be changed.

As for your last argument regarding the NFL OT rule in relation to kids getting a participation trophy. I am sorry, but one thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other. I'll spell my argument out. Before I start I want you to know I am totally against participation trophies because they create a false sense of achievement and success. In life these kids will learn there are very few places where someone can just show up for work or a task and be rewarded equally.

But, in regard to the NFL OT rule being changed. By changing the rule, it creates an equal opportunity for the second team to possess the ball and score if the first team scored a TD instead of just ending the game there. If the second team doesn't score a TD, ok, game over. The coin flip comes into play because if both teams don't score or score an equal number of points guess who gets the ball next? Yep, the team that won the coin flip. Now they get a chance to end the game with any kind of score.

So, the difference between the two is this. Changing the NFL rule creates equal opportunity with no guarantees of success for either team. Giving out participation trophies creates equal outcomes regardless of effort or results. If you don't know the difference between the two I can't help you.

I digress my comments about the rules. I was looking more at the Bucs/Rams game. For some dumb reason I thought the Rams won in overtime on a field goal which would have been a rule change because you can only win sudden death on a TD like KC did. I was following the Bucs/Rams online and ESPN's updates had me all goofed up thinking it went OT.

You may be right, too much emphasis being put on the QB. But the overwhelming, overwhelming number of Super Bowls won, have been won by HOF and future HOF QBs. The chances of a team even getting to the SB is decreased significantly if the QB is average.

It's kind of the football equivalent of the baseball mantra that you can't win a World Series in April, but you definitely can lose a World Series in April.

Is an HOF QB necessary? No. Does it hurt to not have an above average QB? Absolutely.

Reactions: corey90
By changing the rule, it creates an equal opportunity for the second team to possess the ball and score if the first team scored a TD instead of just ending the game there. If the second team doesn't score a TD, ok, game over.

Basically this comes down to changing the OT to the college OT. I don't know why this is so difficult for the NFL to figure out. 2 series for each team from the 25, 2 point conversion for 3 OT and beyond. it's really maddening that this is still being "figured out" by the NFL. College OT changed the excitement level of games big time. Why not follow suit?

Basically this comes down to changing the OT to the college OT. I don't know why this is so difficult for the NFL to figure out. 2 series for each team from the 25, 2 point conversion for 3 OT and beyond. it's really maddening that this is still being "figured out" by the NFL. College OT changed the excitement level of games big time. Why not follow suit?
That college OT with only 2 point conversions is ridiculous. Don't like it at all. I'd be for full drives followed by having to go for 2 pt conversion though. I think a 5-10 minutes intermission in playoffs like hockey OT should be implemented as well. Those defenses were so gassed I could've handed you the ball and picked up 1st downs.

That college OT with only 2 point conversions is ridiculous.

I don't love it, but it's exciting and saves players from excess wear and tear. Maybe go for 2 from the first OT? There's got to be a better way than sudden death.

That college OT with only 2 point conversions is ridiculous. Don't like it at all. I'd be for full drives followed by having to go for 2 pt conversion though. I think a 5-10 minutes intermission in playoffs like hockey OT should be implemented as well. Those defenses were so gassed I could've handed you the ball and picked up 1st downs.
How about you have each team start at the 35 yard line. If neither team scores a TD you move them back 10 yards. This way it will force a team to think about trying a field goal.

Reactions: penlight
Reactions: Wassup13
Wassup: Yea or neigh on Poles?? Giving you the opportunity to say you said it first as you did with Trubisky.
That's true. Wassup was one of the earliest and most vocal members of the anti-Mitch brigade. And, as a corollary, he was one the most ardent supporters of Mahomes, going back to his days at Texas Tech.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
That's true. Wassup was one of the earliest and most vocal members of the anti-Mitch brigade. And, as a corollary, he was one the most ardent supporters of Mahomes, going back to his days at Texas Tech.

I still like Mitchell. I think he's a great person. I just was not a fan of his at QB and the Bears could have got more out of him if they played to his strengths.

Reactions: Gene K. and NDSox
Bears hire Eberflus
WTF? A defensive coordinator to help develop Justin Fields? I'm trying to temper my initial reaction but this seems like typical Bears stupidity. This has Bill Polian written all over it.

"Eberflus began his coaching career at Toledo in 1992 and spent nine years with the Rockets as a student assistant, grad assistant, outside linebackers and defensive backs coach. He spent the next eight seasons as Missouri's defensive coordinator (2001-08) before making the jump to the NFL, where he coached linebackers in Cleveland (2009-10) and Dallas (2011-17) before joining the Colts ahead of the 2018 season."

I actually agree with a DC taking the HC position. A HC has to balance his time between all 3 phases and managing the team. If this were an OC taking over, he would not be able to give the time and energy needed to develop Fields. This way, the OC and QB Coach can focus all of their attention on Fields and the Offense without worrying about the other 2 phases. The big question is who will be the OC?

I actually agree with a DC taking the HC position. A HC has to balance his time between all 3 phases and managing the team. If this were an OC taking over, he would not be able to give the time and energy needed to develop Fields. This way, the OC and QB Coach can focus all of their attention on Fields and the Offense without worrying about the other 2 phases. The big question is who will be the OC?
If an offensive minded coach was hired as HC, they would still have an OC and QB coach to help Fields so I'm not sure I buy that the HC would not be able to give the time and energy to balance all 3 phases.

Reactions: corey90
I hear you guys. I just think the best thing to do here is realize it's not Eberflus or Poles "fault" they got hired. Give them a chance and see what happens. Hopefully, it all works out sooner rather than later.

Reactions: NDSox
Present Bears = no bueno, reason = Bears management, ownership and draft selections.
2022 Bears = no bueno, reason = Bears management owners and no round 1 selection.
2023 and beyond Bears = New stadium, and no bueno reason = Bears management!
What happened to Bowie 50?

I hear you guys. I just think the best thing to do here is realize it's not Eberflus or Poles "fault" they got hired. Give them a chance and see what happens. Hopefully, it all works out sooner rather than later.
I agree. There was a lot of optimism and excitement when they fired both Pace and Nagy. Five minutes into the George McCaskey press conference that turned to "well...... lets just hope the Bears get lucky and fall into capable GM and coach." The die is cast, now lets see what they can do. One of the biggest indicators to me will be who they bring in as OC. I would love to see a strong minded OC who will get most out of Fields.

Reactions: PowerI66
I agree. There was a lot of optimism and excitement when they fired both Pace and Nagy. Five minutes into the George McCaskey press conference that turned to "well...... lets just hope the Bears get lucky and fall into capable GM and coach." The die is cast, now lets see what they can do. One of the biggest indicators to me will be who they bring in as OC. I would love to see a strong minded OC who will get most out of Fields.

I agree that the OC spot is now of huge importance. These 2 guys are must interviews.

Ken Dorsey, Bills QB coach/passing game coordinator
Mike Kafka, Chiefs QB coach/passing game coordinator

This is definitely a McCaskey hire, not Poles. I am curious as to why, if Poles was hired, Eric Bieniemy was given serious consideration. I mean, Poles and Bieniemy were in the same damned organization for years.

This is definitely a McCaskey hire, not Poles. I am curious as to why, if Poles was hired, Eric Bieniemy was given serious consideration. I mean, Poles and Bieniemy were in the same damned organization for years.
There is a disconnect the media feels he is the next great thing but people in the NFL don’t. What does it say when a guy who has spent year evaluating him up close doesn’t even give him an interview?

Reactions: Gene K.
If an offensive minded coach was hired as HC, they would still have an OC and QB coach to help Fields so I'm not sure I buy that the HC would not be able to give the time and energy to balance all 3 phases.
IMO, a HC who is basically an OC is not just going to hand over the offense to their OC and QB Coach. Example: Nagy. Took years for him to give up play calling and had to do it twice. Most of these guys are egotistical when it comes to their offense. Giving up the reigns is not like flipping a switch. Let's just see who we get as an OC and QB Coach and then we can make more unnecessary predictions.

Reactions: mchsalumni
IMO, a HC who is basically an OC is not just going to hand over the offense to their OC and QB Coach. Example: Nagy. Took years for him to give up play calling and had to do it twice. Most of these guys are egotistical when it comes to their offense. Giving up the reigns is not like flipping a switch. Let's just see who we get as an OC and QB Coach and then we can make more unnecessary predictions.
Unnecessary predictions? I thought we were just sharing our opinions.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Again we will see, who knows if either of these guys will be good or bad.
I will say, I don’t care about what a HCs background is in D/O/ST, he needs to be a leader. The rest will fall in place IMO

Reactions: NDSox
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT