ADVERTISEMENT

Restrictions are coming to Return to Play

Well this could get real interesting, per attorney Tom DeVore. Apparently has some backdoor documents on shenanigans and he's "on it" per some of his individual comments under the post. Says he already has the documents/emails

Reactions: IgorStL
Well this could get real interesting, per attorney Tom DeVore. Apparently has some backdoor documents on shenanigans and he's "on it" per some of his individual comments under the post. Says he already has the documents/emails

References to a communist state? Sounds legit. Also, dangerous? Galen Rupp won a 10k national race with a mask on...

References to a communist state? Sounds legit. Also, dangerous? Galen Rupp won a 10k national race with a mask on...
Just providing information as he already won a case vs Pritzker regarding his executive orders. He had a case upcoming vs ISBE and IDPH. So far only attorney to go up against them. He's been successful so far, and unless he's lying (which I doubt it), he may have some things to release to the public soon. Just something to keep an eye on.

Reactions: IgorStL and Gene K.
So, 90 people under 20 were hospitalized with COVID-19 since February 21, 2020 (when Arizona had their first hospitalization). I am willing to make an educated guess that in 4.5 months that there were more then 90 admissions for other reasons and many more families anguishing for other reasons. Do we just minimize and ignore the pain that those families are feeling now? The percent of COVID cases being hospitalized in Arizona is 5%. I hope they get it under control for everyone's sake there, but what is happening in Arizona right now is not what is happening in Illinois.

Just providing information as he already won a case vs Pritzker regarding his executive orders. He had a case upcoming vs ISBE and IDPH. So far only attorney to go up against them. He's been successful so far, and unless he's lying (which I doubt it), he may have some things to release to the public soon. Just something to keep an eye on.
90 currently hospitalized. Not cumulative. In one state. But thanks for politicizing this public health matter.

90 currently hospitalized. Not cumulative. In one state. But thanks for politicizing this public health matter.
Uhhh...I provided something a lawyer is looking into because it directly impacts what is going on with IHSA. And sorry, this whole has been politicized for a lonnnng time. What does hospital numbers in AZ have to do with us?

Not trying to politicize anything just want the truth. If you click the tab in the above link the break down by age adds up to the cumulative number of hospitalizations. Unless you have data saying when these 93 were admitted and provide a source I don't know how you can say the thing you are saying. Of the 5750 hospitalizations only approximately 3450 are currently in the hospital. If you have data on when an age group was admitted then I would agree with you, but data that is publicly available does not show this.

Unfortunately, everyone has an agenda. As for Arizona-which I am not sure why we are discussing AZ-the Mayor of Phoenix (democrat) looking to discredit the Governor (republican), went on TV saying that the city was buying refrigerated trucks because they had run out of morgue space. That claim was later proven to be false/mis-leading by hospital representatives. Small stories like this are happening on a daily basis. I am not claiming that the virus is not prevalent (and spreading as all viruses do), but this will be politicized for the foreseeable future.

I am very torn on whether to play or not to play, I have 2 kids that play football at 2 different schools. If the schools came to me and said we would like to return to school and sports, but we want you to sign a hold harmless agreement, I would sign it. After covid 19 came out of nowhere, you have to wonder whats next? Something else will come and who knows what it will be. Humans for the most part get 25 years to play, then life gets hard and we begin to work for the remaining years. Let the kids play if their parents allow them to. My wife and I would rather make the decision for our children than have any decision forced upon us.

Don't think anybody has said kids don't get covid. What everyone has been saying is that they rarely, and I mean rarely, die from it. Under 200 deaths ages 0-24 from covid according to CDC. Under 200 out of over 300 million. So yeah, the perspective of teens dying from anything else is very relevant and not ignorant. Because when your teen is literally losing out on freedoms and choices that have nothing to do with their well being, it's very important. If you're the parent of a teen that has died from covid, then that would be an extremely tragic situation. Unbearable. And also extremely rare. Even more rare than another teen dying from a car accident, alcohol, drugs, or virtually anything else.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

The best part of this pandemic, for me, has been that I found out I had a wife and kid. Prior to that, I had my head so deep in sports that I didn't care about anything else. Frankly, I hope things stay shut down because I love my family now and sports is a distant second. Some kids may even find out that there is more to life than sports. They may even find out they have other non-sports related talents/gifts. Imagine that.

Stays safe and be smart,

AC

The best part of this pandemic, for me, has been that I found out I had a wife and kid. Prior to that, I had my head so deep in sports that I didn't care about anything else. Frankly, I hope things stay shut down because I love my family now and sports is a distant second. Some kids may even find out that there is more to life than sports. They may even find out they have other non-sports related talents/gifts. Imagine that.

Stays safe and be smart,

AC
They might find that out or they may already know. Talented artists, musicians and vocalists are being shut down, important peer groups to deal with teen issues as well. It’s easy to say there are more important things than sports, unless you need them for myriad reasons

Reactions: sporthog9er
They might find that out or they may already know. Talented artists, musicians and vocalists are being shut down, important peer groups to deal with teen issues as well. It’s easy to say there are more important things than sports, unless you need them for myriad reasons
But there are. And that is to love and be kind to one another. How out of touch we are today though.

Yes I would. Same for drowning, poisoning, lightning strikes etc. but when the odds start approaching the 100,000 to one range, I think I’d let him out of the house

Not the same thing. In this case you know the virus is out there and you choose to let your kid play.

Something nobody has talked about is It worth the risk playing HS Football worth getting covid 19. Or giving it to you parents worth it? Let’s be honest only 1% of the players will ever play football again after HS. That’s 1%! Is the risk worth the reward?

IMO I think most parents will have a tough decision to make or maybe it’s really not a tough decision.

Reactions: Laurarube
But there are. And that is to love and be kind to one another. How out of touch we are today though.
Point is my son as well as others are involved with things outside of football, but those are shutdown too. Kids are running out of options. Honestly the only thing my son has this summer is training and visiting the few schools still allowed to do so. He put in the work to be a well rounded recruit, as did others. Kids are going to finally lose hope, and many wont have much to fall back on. The lock down didn’t make me discover my family, so knowing what we’ve worked hard to accomplish is hard to watch being cancelled, especially with little data showing them being in danger

Point is my son as well as others are involved with things outside of football, but those are shutdown too. Kids are running out of options. Honestly the only thing my son has this summer is training and visiting the few schools still allowed to do so. He put in the work to be a well rounded recruit, as did others. Kids are going to finally lose hope, and many wont have much to fall back on. The lock down didn’t make me discover my family, so knowing what we’ve worked hard to accomplish is hard to watch being cancelled, especially with little data showing them being in danger
My point is that anyone not limit them self to one thing. People have their head so far up their arse they can't see the big picture. This pandemic has a silver lining but the complaining and fighting drowns it out. People are capable of so much more than the box they've put them self in.

And again, I’m telling you many of these kids don’t paint themselves into a box. Their academics in many cases will pay a lot for them to play football in college. Those are the kids not playing Power 5 or D1 and there are a lot of them out there.

Reactions: Gene K.
And again, I’m telling you many of these kids don’t paint themselves into a box. Their academics in many cases will pay a lot for them to play football in college. Those are the kids not playing Power 5 or D1 and there are a lot of them out there.
We'll agree to disagree. I've seen enough tweeter and instagram posts that suggest the world is ending because they couldn't get back to their sport.

Just like any debate, two sides to the story and neither side is probably convince the other on a message board. All I have tried is to make the point that it is most likely just as safe to play football than not. It has been an up and down day today for my wife and I. A graduation celebration for one of our daughter's teammates was cancelled due to her 80 year old grandfather passing away from COVID this morning, then we go and watch our son play a scrimmage before he goes east for tournaments during and enjoy a couple of hours of what doing what we enjoy doing, then when we get home we found our friends from college (the wives played basketball together) 19 year old daughter passed away from a car accident. I know which one shocked us the most, but the honestly both sucked and all I can think of is what that young women (a college volleyball player) was yet to accomplish so I still feel that if they want to play, and their parents are okay with it let them play. You just don't know when your time on this planet is going to end so enjoy it for as long as you can.

Just like any debate, two sides to the story and neither side is probably convince the other on a message board. All I have tried is to make the point that it is most likely just as safe to play football than not. It has been an up and down day today for my wife and I. A graduation celebration for one of our daughter's teammates was cancelled due to her 80 year old grandfather passing away from COVID this morning, then we go and watch our son play a scrimmage before he goes east for tournaments during and enjoy a couple of hours of what doing what we enjoy doing, then when we get home we found our friends from college (the wives played basketball together) 19 year old daughter passed away from a car accident. I know which one shocked us the most, but the honestly both sucked and all I can think of is what that young women (a college volleyball player) was yet to accomplish so I still feel that if they want to play, and their parents are okay with it let them play. You just don't know when your time on this planet is going to end so enjoy it for as long as you can.
Man, so sorry to hear. We too had tragic news of our friend and my wife’s teaching colleagues 22 year old son passing to complications of severe dehydration. He was also a HS football player and D3 athlete. You never know

***not football related

We'll agree to disagree. I've seen enough tweeter and instagram posts that suggest the world is ending because they couldn't get back to their sport.
Well sure seems like from other posts on social media that the world is ending anyway so why keep someone from doing what makes them happy, see above for why. It all sucks but the ones that are paying the biggest price right now are the youth. I already had one child lose her senior year of high school and I have had it with taking experiences away from my children because simply too many people are still to afraid to live

Man, so sorry to hear. We too had tragic news of our friend and my wife’s teaching colleagues 22 year old son passing to complications of severe dehydration. He was also a HS football player and D3 athlete. You never know

***not football related
Sorry to hear that. This is what I am saying, everyone is making decisions for a group of people that their biggest risk is everyday life still and when it is all said and done more people will have stories like ours then something virus related

Not the same thing. In this case you know the virus is out there and you choose to let your kid play.

Something nobody has talked about is It worth the risk playing HS Football worth getting covid 19. Or giving it to you parents worth it? Let’s be honest only 1% of the players will ever play football again after HS. That’s 1%! Is the risk worth the reward?

IMO I think most parents will have a tough decision to make or maybe it’s really not a tough decision.
Missing the point. It’s all about the odds of bad things happening vs living your life. Did you know that for the twelve and under group, death by play ground equipment is five times more likely that death by COVID. Same for serious injury. But even if parents knew the risk they will still choose to let them play

Yes, just like any debate there are two sides to the story and neither side will likely convince the other. The problem is (as so often is the case in society), one side wants to impose their will on the other side... and once again freedom takes a backseat. Of those individuals in the group that would like their children to have the opportunity to play sports, I don't think any of them would mandate that children of other parents also have to play. But, of those individuals in the other group, the group that thinks it's too dangerous, they seemingly do want to mandate that no sports will be played by any student. Why must they impose their views on everyone? Why not let each side decide for themselves? And then, if participation is so low that a team cannot be effectively put on the field, then the season for that particular team can be cancelled.

Yes, just like any debate there are two sides to the story and neither side will likely convince the other. The problem is (as so often is the case in society), one side wants to impose their will on the other side... and once again freedom takes a backseat. Of those individuals in the group that would like their children to have the opportunity to play sports, I don't think any of them would mandate that children of other parents also have to play. But, of those individuals in the other group, the group that thinks it's too dangerous, they seemingly do want to mandate that no sports will be played by any student. Why must they impose their views on everyone? Why not let each side decide for themselves? And then, if participation is so low that a team cannot be effectively put on the field, then the season for that particular team can be cancelled.
Because they want the decision made for them

Totally agree, afraid that decision is being taken away and not trying to be political but that the silent majority will be left wondering what the heck just happened when the squeaky wheel is the one getting greased.

The overriding question is, how many teachers will return? There are reports that a sizable number of teachers, from grade school to the Ivy League, are concerned about their safety and unwilling to resume classroom instruction. About 20 percent of teachers are over the age of 50, which makes them susceptible. Perhaps their risk can be minimized if enough money is spent, but the cost would be enormous. There are more than three million teachers in this country, which means that 600,000 substitutes will have to be found, vetted, and certified in about a month. Not gonna happen.

Last edited:
The overriding question is, how many teachers will return? There are reports that a sizable number of teachers, from grade school to the Ivy League, are concerned about their safety and unwilling to resume classroom instruction. About 20 percent of teachers are over the age of 50, which makes them susceptible. Perhaps their risk can be minimized if enough money is spent, but the cost would be enormous. There are about three million teachers in this country, which means that 600,000 substitutes will have to be found, vetted, and certified in about a month. Not gonna happen.

Most teachers do not have the option of not returning unless they are comfortable quitting their job. They may complain on facebook but when push comes to shove, almost all will be back when told.

Most teachers do not have the option of not returning unless they are comfortable quitting their job. They may complain on facebook but when push comes to shove, almost all will be back when told.
Unless they strike.
Great points by both posters above IMO. Allowing school staffs to cocoon when so many other economy workers put themselves out with the masses (providing services TO teachers in the process), will not be a popular position. Teacher strikes have real teeth, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT