ADVERTISEMENT

Restrictions are coming to Return to Play

Any word on how long? Because if they aren’t allowed to hit on Aug 9th then season over.

I wonder how this new contact limitation relates to hitting dummies, shields, sleds, etc. along with if it makes a difference should these be held by another player at the time of contact versus totally free-standing. So much to consider!

I wonder how this new contact limitation relates to hitting dummies, shields, sleds, etc. along with if it makes a difference should these be held by another player at the time of contact versus totally free-standing. So much to consider!
By the way, does this type of equipment need to be wiped down after every rep in general during this virus era? Mercy!

Reactions: lookoutforliam
I would imagine since they changed the wording to “Phase 4 Return to Play” to correspond with The overall Phase 4 Restore guidelines this means no contact sports until Phase 5. Meaning we won’t have contact sports until there is a vaccine, highly effective treatment, or no cases. AKA Spring at the earliest. Sobering but probably the reality of the situation.

If players have to be in masks at all times, even outside when they can be apart in this heat, doing physical work outside....that could be downright dangerous

I would imagine since they changed the wording to “Phase 4 Return to Play” to correspond with The overall Phase 4 Restore guidelines this means no contact sports until Phase 5. Meaning we won’t have contact sports until there is a vaccine, highly effective treatment, or no cases. AKA Spring at the earliest. Sobering but probably the reality of the situation.
Hmm, kind of what I’ve been saying. But kids are supposedly different.

Me walking into Sport Clips yesterday wearing a mask and getting my temperature taken reminded me we’re still in the middle of a pandemic. But sports seems to be on another planet.

Reactions: Zebra
I wonder if some sports that are classified as low or medium risk might be permitted while the state remains in a Phase 4 status. However, any sports offerings might be contingent upon what degree of opening a school district employs. No in-person learning = No sports?

Doesn't youth football start up a week or two before the HS season historically - therefore in late July? Anybody know what kind of start-up guidelines expected at that level soon?

Then it needs to be said instead of them jerking these players and coaches around with the great unknown

It would be a good time for the private schools to break from the IHSA... a few public school conferences might join them. All of the executive orders from the governor are no longer valid.

And that would do what exactly? You beak from the IHSA for football it’s not just football it’s all sports.

100% agree as both a football/basketball coach and teacher at the HS level There’s no easy answers during this. I get that, but it’s time to make the tough decisions and stop beating around the bush. Come out with it.
Be careful what you ask for ... you might get it. I can see the sense about making the decision NOW, but it may reduce flexibility going forward?

You think it’s that simple? That all of the sudden 60k positive tests a day and over crowded ICU’s will end after an election?

c’mon Liam. Thought you were much smarter than this.
I honestly do. Everything will be politicized until the election is over. Media has a narrative to keep. It's a virus, of course it is going to spread. Some will get sick, some won't. In the event that a vaccine actually happens, which seems unlikely, how effective will it be? How much will the virus have modified itself between now and then? Newt, I don't have the answers. I'm just a guy on Edgy's board. But, if you ask me, we can't stop living. Happy to discuss off-line if you would like. That's my opinion.

Be careful what you ask for ... you might get it. I can see the sense about making the decision NOW, but it may reduce flexibility going forward?

I’m all for flexibility if there’s honestly a chance/prospect at having a season... but I’m not sensing that is the case or thinking of both the governor’s office and IDPH. Trust me, I want nothing more to have a season and be around these kids again. I’m also a realist and see the momentum of what’s going on around this country. As with everything during this pandemic, honestly who knows what will happen?

Huge step back today. Two schools in the suburbs have positive tests so far and no one obviously wants to make a wrong decision and have their players and their families get sick. I honestly didn't think we would get the go ahead until August 3rd- I was shocked when they approved it last week. A lot of us felt the return was too soon and the plug would get pulled in some fashion. With everyone I am talking to, I am losing my optimism for a season.

Huge step back today. Two schools in the suburbs have positive tests so far and no one obviously wants to make a wrong decision and have their players and their families get sick. I honestly didn't think we would get the go ahead until August 3rd- I was shocked when they approved it last week. A lot of us felt the return was too soon and the plug would get pulled in some fashion. With everyone I am talking to, I am losing my optimism for a season.

It doesn’t matter when they wait until..... whenever they start there are going to be cases, lots of cases! But the point is you can’t worry about “cases.” If a month in 50 HS football players are in the hospital deathly ill from covid then fine pull the plug but I can pretty much promise that wouldn’t happen. But we won’t find out because even if they start they will pull the plug due to “cases.” What difference do you think now, August 3 or August 10 makes? None!

Reactions: Gene K. and IgorStL
Are you saying that they can't get it or spread it?
They can get it. But every study available so far from other countries where they tracked kids back at school showed they did not spread it. Main transmission was adults to adults. There has been zero documented evidence showing kids 18 and under spread it the same or worse than adults.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT