ADVERTISEMENT

Plainfield North @ Fenwick

They had undefeated bradley who beat LWE, beat Rockford Auburn, who beat Reeters. HP was a nice draw for them though.

Fenwick had undoubtedly the easiest road. beating Hononegah, LZ without their coach and best player, and struggled with a very bad jacobs team.

IHSA confirmed the refs were wrong and also said they will not overturn the outcome according to bylaws.

IHSA confirmed the refs were wrong and also said they will not overturn the outcome according to bylaws.

Normally I like to root for all the western suburban teams,... but given this - I am going to be an ESL fan next week in the 7A title game. Sorry Plainfield North.. nothing you guys did, it's not your fault, but this situation just isn't right and shouldn't be benefited from in my opinion.

Rule 3 Section 3 Article 4:

A period shall not be extended by an untimed down if one of the following occurred during a down in which time expires:

b. There was a foul by either team and the penalty is accepted for:
3. fouls that include loss of down (such as intentional grounding)
The announcers said intentional grounding has to be in the context of the QB trying to avoid a sack. The QB was clearly just trying to run off the last few seconds by throwing the ball high and downfield, so int. grounding shouldn't have been called in the first place, I guess.

The announcers said intentional grounding has to be in the context of the QB trying to avoid a sack. The QB was clearly just trying to run off the last few seconds by throwing the ball high and downfield, so int. grounding shouldn't have been called in the first place, I guess.

I had this discussion with many officials when CMU/OK State happened. I argued if you know the rule to begin with you don't throw the flag. Now, in college since they're graded on everything it's not so cut and dry. But in high school just run off the field and explain to the other coach why you're running off the field.

Reactions: TPF523
I'm curious to know what 'bylaws' they are referring to. Where are they kept? on the IHSA website?

IHSA has admitted they were wrong, they "feel terrible" but by-laws does not allow them to overturn an officials call. So Fenwick is done. Sickening lack of responsibility.

My understanding is that once the teams leave the field, no calls or non-calls can be overturned. If Fenwick coaches requested a rule book at the end of regulation, which they had a right to do, things could be different.

My source is someone related to an advisory board member.

Really, really a shame.

My understanding is that once the teams leave the field, no calls or non-calls can be overturned. If Fenwick coaches requested a rule book at the end of regulation, which they had a right to do, things could be different.

Really, really a shame.

Coaches do in fact have a right to demand to see a rule book? Anytime of a game or just end of a game?

Really, really a shame.

Good luck with that ever happening.

Coaches do in fact have a right to demand to see a rule book? Anytime of a game or just end of a game?
The way it was explained to me, the request can be at any point during or after the game. And, an overturn may occur as long as neither team has left the field.

One of the refs on the board can probably verify...

I'm sure Fenwick is the first school to be screwed by terrible IHSA refs. Ha.

This has been an issue for years. They are terrible and don't know the rules. What is hilarious to me is that no one cares until the poor little old private school is the one that gets screwed. We can't have that now, can we?

I'm sure Fenwick is the first school to be screwed by terrible IHSA refs. Ha.

This has been an issue for years. They are terrible and don't know the rules. What is hilarious to me is that no one cares until the poor little old private school is the one that gets screwed. We can't have that now, can we?

No one is claiming that Fenwick is the first school to get screwed. Your second claim is manifestly false. There are good IHSA refs. And furthermore everyone is always concerned about the rules being correctly applied. This issue has nothing to do with private schools in particular. Finish your beer and go to bed, jesus.

The way it was explained to me, the request can be at any point during or after the game. And, an overturn may occur as long as neither team has left the field.

One of the refs on the board can probably verify...

Is that why it looked Plainfield North ran immediately off the field?

The point is that nobody wants referees to make bad calls, but let's not act like this is the only time a call has been blown in the playoffs. It is unfortunately part of the game in high school football. How about the ridiculous 15 yard illegal touching call on PN's go ahead TD pass with less than 2 minutes remaining?

The point is that nobody wants referees to make bad calls, but let's not act like this is the only time a call has been blown in the playoffs. It is unfortunately part of the game in high school football. How about the ridiculous 15 yard illegal touching call on PN's go ahead TD pass with less than 2 minutes remaining?
Ref dropped his hat. WR was out of bounds and came back in. Legit call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT