ADVERTISEMENT

Plainfield North @ Fenwick

It's hard to not direct anger where it doesn't belong. Plainfield played well, it was a tremendous hard fought game. Those kids never quit even when the game was actually over. No one deserves to lose games like this but sadly someone does lose. Plainfield lost that game, it ended yet the tears are in the eyes of the kids that won. I have to look into the eyes of heartbroken seniors that will never step foot on the field together again and explain there is nothing they can do. That sometimes even when you win you lose or that sometimes you don't get what you deserve.

It's just a game, there are bigger tragedies in the world happening right now. The truth is the boys in black are extremely lucky to even be able to play a game they love. That said something this boys dreamed of, their whole lives in many cases, was taken from them. The amount of work and sweat that went into them transforming from a 3-6 team to an *11-2 team is inspiring. The opportunity to step foot on U of I's field and be announced on TV in front of thousands is gone. The opportunity to play for a championship that no one said they could attain 4 years ago has been taken from then. I hope the IHSA officials read this, your job isn't easy but you need to be accountable. What is the point of being an official if you don't understand the rules? I'm embarrassed for them, they shouldn't be fired but they should in fact resign. You can never fix what you took away and your level of ineptitude should never ruin another kids dream either.

No they shouldn't resign they made a mistake that shouldn't have happened but resigning would mean a worse officiating problem than we already have in this state.

Besides the officials Nudo and North didn't know the rule either

The whole Fenwick sideline knew the rule, what do you think they were going crazy about??? Why do you think Nudo kept demanding to talk to the officials? Why do you think there were so many conferences? Even though the officials wouldn't back down that they had the rule right (blindly sticking up for their own) they still had no f'ing idea how to enforce it... Just an absolute cluster.

No they shouldn't resign they made a mistake that shouldn't have happened but resigning would mean a worse officiating problem than we already have in this state.
So trot out jackasses that don't know the rules because officials are low in numbers? Either an entire crew doesn't know a critical rule that was brought to the publics attention mere months ago or they are blindly sticking up for the ineptitude of their partners. Either way it's embarrassing and in this public light needs to be addresssed. Most people in their profession wouldn't still have a job if they made an error to this magnitude.

Ok, I understand you are really upset right now. All of Fenwick nation is upset right now. These people are still human. I promise there will be ramifications. Let's not go out on a witchhunt now,...

The whole Fenwick sideline knew the rule, what do you think they were going crazy about??? Why do you think Nudo kept demanding to talk to the officials? Why do you think there were so many conferences? Even though the officials wouldn't back down that they had the rule right (blindly sticking up for their own) they still had no f'ing idea how to enforce it... Just an absolute cluster.

I think the Fenwick people need to make an appeal of some kind to the IHSA. It's a simple argument: The events which occurred after the clock reached 0.00 with Fenwick up 10-7 were not in conformity with the rules of the game. So the events which occurred after that time do not count. So Fenwick won and will play ESL next week.

If you're a PN player, do you even want to go play next week knowing that you didn't win properly?

I think the Fenwick people need to make an appeal of some kind to the IHSA. It's a simple argument: The events which occurred after the clock reached 0.00 with Fenwick up 10-7 were not in conformity with the rules of the game. So the events which occurred after that time do not count. So Fenwick won and will play ESL next week.

If you're a PN player, do you even want to go play next week knowing that you didn't win properly?

I promise there will be an appeal. The IHSA knows what happened already. This will be interesting.

Ok, I understand you are really upset right now. All of Fenwick nation is upset right now. These people are still human. I promise there will be ramifications. Let's not go out on a witchhunt now,...
Tell that to all the parents of Fenwick seniors. The hunt is on. (I wish that sentence was a joke)

Tell that to all the parents of Fenwick seniors. The hunt is on. (I wish that sentence was a joke)

Whose taking this harder you or your son? You're making this seem like these guys made this mistake on purpose. I feel our pain but slow your roll when it comes to seeking out and which hunt.

Today I learned Plainfield is in Lake County.

Last edited:
I promise there will be an appeal. The IHSA knows what happened already. This will be interesting.

Not really Montini tried that already week 1 of the playoffs and nothing happened even when the opposing coach said Montini was correct. Nothing happened with the appeal but I wish you better luck in your case.

Last edited:
Whose taking this harder you or your son? You're making this seem like these guys made this mistake on purpose. I feel our pain but slow your roll when it comes to seeking out and which hunt.
You want to see the 4 boys I'm with right now? I won't slow my roll, jobs will be called for by hundreds of Fenwick people. Whether you think that HS football is a legitimate reason to be upset and lose jobs is irrelevant, the officials are in a paid position. That payment needs to cease.

You're acting as if I'm saying they should be harmed, I'm not.

I would be scared if anyone is saying they should be harmed.
Agreed it's a horrible mistake but a mistake none the less. Some parents were walking after refs but were stopped by many. No room for that garbage. Anyways it's time for this guy to log off here.

Reactions: LakeCtyNewt
You want to see the 4 boys I'm with right now? I won't slow my roll, jobs will be called for by hundreds of Fenwick people. Whether you think that HS football is a legitimate reason to be upset and lose jobs is irrelevant, the officials are in a paid position. That payment needs to cease.

You're acting as if I'm saying they should be harmed, I'm not.

Not saying your position is an easy one. But when yOu use the term like witch hunt it makes my skin crawl.

Clearly the wrong call was made. Be very curious if the IHSA allows for an appeal.

Not saying your position is an easy one. But when yOu use the term like witch hunt it makes my skin crawl.

Clearly the wrong call was made. Be very curious if the IHSA allows for an appeal.

This appeal literally has to be made right now too because of the cicrumstances.

What an unfortunate turn of events and I'm sure TPF and his fans will file the appeal. I watched online and am sorta still in shock they blew this call. Well done Friairs and a hell of a year...but I think we all know the IHSA isn't going to change anything. Let's hope for maybe a press release...
Well done North players..never gave up even with it looked over late in the 3rd. Great game by both schools

Couple questions.

Has there ever been any precident of a win/loss being reversed?

Has there ever been a case in the playoffs where one team "decides" or was "forced" to step aside (for whatever reason such as not enough players) and not play the next weeks game and the other team that "lost" needed to step in for the next weeks playoff game?

Why not just add another game for next week....

I'd like to see Fenwick vs Palatine. We just call it the suburban version city private/public league game. Why not??

Wassup

Couple questions.

Has there ever been any precident of a win/loss being reversed?

Has there ever been a case in the playoffs where one team "decides" or was "forced" to step aside (for whatever reason such as not enough players) and not play the next weeks game and the other team that "lost" needed to step in for the next weeks playoff game?

Before basketball went to 4 classes, we lost to a team in the semi of the regionals. Turned out they had an ineligible player, and had to forfeit the game. We found out the day of the regional championship,literally 4 hours before tip off and we were able to compete that night. We still lost though :(

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Before it was always said dont let it come down to a referee's call. Still applies, even for Fenwick. They still could have blocked the FG and/or won in OT. PFN made the necessary plays to win. I just hope that PFE kids dont see PFN as a better option than The Beloved due to this run.

Before it was always said dont let it come down to a referee's call. Still applies, even for Fenwick. They still could have blocked the FG and/or won in OT. PFN made the necessary plays to win. I just hope that PFE kids dont see PFN as a better option than The Beloved due to this run.
"Let it come down to a referee's call"? Fenwick did not do that. They played within the rules of the game and got screwed. No different than if they scored a TD and the ignorant refs awarded them 2 points instead of 6. wtf

Reactions: bgoss6474

Uh, you realize the game was over without the call? So yes, Fenwick won the game fair and square.

"Let it come down to a referee's call"? Fenwick did not do that. They played within the rules of the game and got screwed. No different than if they scored a TD and the ignorant refs awarded them 2 points instead of 6. wtf
this is a matter of proper application of a penalty and unfortunately the refs got it wrong. It wasn't open up for ref interpretation like a Pass interference or holding.

Should have been up by 4, this would be a nonfactor. Same as any othet bad call which turns the tide of a game. Yeah it may suck, but this wasnt the 1st time and it wont be the last.

Exactly.

To plainfield's credit I think it's bs to call an unsportsmanlike conduct on the coach arguing after their first timeout after having the TD called back for illegal touching.

If that penalty isn't called they probably get the ball back with 45 seconds to play and decent field position.

Was on the Fenwick sideline. Coach clearly told the QB to throw him the football on the pass interference. Sounds like refs screwed up but wanted to be clear this wasn't an impulse decision by the Fenwick QB.

Was on the Fenwick sideline. Coach clearly told the QB to throw him the football on the pass interference. Sounds like refs screwed up but wanted to be clear this wasn't an impulse decision by the Fenwick QB.

That's interesting. It seems like Nudo knew the rule, and so made that choice because he knew that (i) the QB had a strong enough arm to throw the ball high and far enough to run the clock out and that (ii) EVEN IF intentional grounding were called, it would still result in the game being over. If Nudo thought there was room for doubt I'm sure he would have had the QB run into the back of the endzone.

Should have been up by 4, this would be a nonfactor. Same as any othet bad call which turns the tide of a game. Yeah it may suck, but this wasnt the 1st time and it wont be the last.
Difference is, the game was over and shouldve remained that way by rule. Any other bad calls that turn the tide of a game happen in regulation.

IHSA will have to review and should call the game over at regulation. Won't be surprised if they don't overturn though.

IHSA will have to review and should call the game over at regulation. Won't be surprised if they don't overturn though.

Are there any bureaucratic, financial or any kind of logistical reasons why the IHSA would not overturn it? It seems so black and white to me but maybe there is something that I'm missing.

That's interesting. It seems like Nudo knew the rule, and so made that choice because he knew that (i) the QB had a strong enough arm to throw the ball high and far enough to run the clock out and that (ii) EVEN IF intentional grounding were called, it would still result in the game being over. If Nudo thought there was room for doubt I'm sure he would have had the QB run into the back of the endzone.

Nudo had been around around a long time and knows what he is doing. Before the play he probably should have told the ref what he was planning on doing just to insure the win.

Pretty rare for any game in any sport at any level to be overturned except for forfeitures in the case of extreme violations by a team/program/school...

Are there any bureaucratic, financial or any kind of logistical reasons why the IHSA would not overturn it? It seems so black and white to me but maybe there is something that I'm missing.
It's black and white to me too. I just don't have much faith in them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT