ADVERTISEMENT

Your thoughts on the IHSA-TV coverage of the State finals?

I thought the coverage was better than in previous years.

I get frustrated by the commentators not knowing the differences between High School rules and other levels.

Garrett Wolfe was a nice add as a sideline reporter but they didn't give him a lot of chances to contribute.

The camera problem during the Montini-SHG game was very frustrating. I laughed when they referred to this as "the coaches view" since our End Zone shot is from behind the goal post not from some camera as high as the press box at Memorial Stadium.

When they ran a replay, many times they did not get back in time. The viewer missed some of the live action. That was frustrating.

Overall, I thought it was an improvement with the exception of the beginning of the SHG/Montini game and the "power surge"/camera problem.

Sorry but I have to disagree on Garrett Wolfe. He was given enough time to prove he should never be given a microphone again. He was like the old Chris Farley skit doing terrible interviews, only a lot stiffer.

I understand a few camera mistakes, but jeez I often muted the sound watching the games due to the announcing. Cliches galore, and downright mistakes.

The play-by-play guys were relly not that bad as long as they were talking downhill.

Hey guys,

Just want to say to all of you, thank you for watching and thank you for the feedback. It was not a perfect month or weekend, but we did the best with the parts we had to work with.

In the 5A game we had a power surge to the truck and all the cameras were down with the exception of one. That was the endzone camera. In light of that, Mark Lindo and I joked that "coaches always want us to show this angle more" -- and sure enough, I did notice on twitter a few coaches taking note. That actually loosened us up, we'd never worked together in that capacity before.

It's tricky to prepare for 8 state championship games with teams from all parts of Illinois. Dave Bernhard is one of the most prepared broadcasters I've been around at any level. Lee Hall gives you a great feel of Central Illinois particularly for Chicagoland folks that might watch and not know much about the teams in 1A and 2A.

I learned a lot during my first play-by-play experience in a State Championship atmosphere. I am my toughest critic. My wife hates it, but I'll be better off for it. Few things I'll do differently next time around.

Would love to hear more. Good and bad. Don't hold back, I can help make that experience better for all of us EDGY posters.

-Matt Rodewald

Reactions: CG Fan
I thought the coverage was pretty good for all of the games. Besides the camera issue I thought the broadcasts were done very well!

It was okay.

The reality is that we aren't going to get, nor should we expect, the sort of production that we are accustomed to for college or pro broadcasts.

I recall the broadcasts of these games 25-30 years ago, and they weren't pretty. Relative to what we used to have, the games this past weekend were light years ahead.

Originally posted by DeanOfSelection:

I wish Gus Johnson could do the games.
Can you imagine the Gus-gasm that would have occurred at the end of the 8A game?

Happy it's on live TV. Not happy with the 5A end zone shots during the power surge. Really did not like the announcers either. I'm a fan of Jack McInerney. I know not everyone on the board likes him but I do.

Wassup

I loved it especially in HD. Sat on the couch from 10am til midnight (Blackhawks game too ).

Wanted to watch but couldn't as it wasn't on free TV. Yes, there are many of us out here who don't have cable. I guess the IHSA makes more money this way, but it is shame that it isn't on free TV.

--Play by play guys were good, as was Boomer on color;

--Rodey was the best of all sideline reporters;

--Would love to see Bernhard do the 1A & 2A finals for a change and have Hall do the big schools just once; and,

--Not a McInerney fan because he does not add a lot to the broadcast, and he hasn't changed in his role in 25 years when he did the state finals with Mike Leiderman on SportsChannel.

I have less hair on my head after repeated references to the "NIUC" during 1A and 2A.

Rodewald ~ two thumbs up

Garrett Wolfe ~ perhaps sideline reporting just isn't his thing. yikes.

C'mon seriously Warrior you have the internet and message board capabilities but no cable? We had cable installed in 1981. My first movie to watch was Carbon Copy with my boy Denzel Washington. I remember being in shock that a theater movie was on my Television set! You should subscribe to cable it is really cool.
This post was edited on 12/2 4:26 PM by Varsity11

Cable? It's a fad
roll.r191677.gif

Is that the same guy at gately who does a lot of wrestling meets? Sounds like him.

I thought the broadcast was great. My only criticism was the consistant overuse of the word "downhill". Can't someone come up with a synonym, like "straight ahead" or running "north and south", Something, please? I thoroughly enjoyed watching the games while putting up Christmas decorations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT