ADVERTISEMENT

York vs. Naz Week 2

Well stopped from about 2004-2010 I think mainly because of the 9 game escc schedule. Though maybe a few years before that? Only got revived a couple times after escc opened back up for non-con. When Naz started wiping RB it ended (RB did win the first one though). Did it end when Curtain went over?
The last time I remember the 2 teams playing was 2008. After some running clocks, the series ended. Curtain going over there was likely part of the reason too.

The last time I remember the 2 teams playing was 2008. After some running clocks, the series ended. Curtain going over there was likely part of the reason too.
Yep. I messed up my dates. Restarted the 2006/07 season. So not much past 2008

I don’t buy it at all. There’s half a dozen local private schools around Elmhurst that can recruit those same kids. I’m not seeing a loss to Naz creating an exodus of a handful of great players.

York offers a heck of a lot as a school, both academically and on the football field competition wise for potential players. Not to mention it offers these benefits at ZERO tuition.

If a state championship is the de-facto #1 reason for enrolling for an athlete/kid, then I don’t think York was even in the running as many of the privates offer a better chance, ie ICCP, St. Francis, Naz, Fenwick; at the lower levels than York does at winning 8A outright.

If we are comparing York vs Naz football wise- they both are going to win games. They both have a great coaching staff. They both have a competitive schedule, and they both have expectations to win multiple games in playoffs. I just don’t buy that a handful of 7th/8th graders will make their HS decision based on Naz vs York game… makes little sense overall to me in the grand scheme of things.
Hmmmm. We sure hear about how it's a problem alot.

I am glad you can confirm it is not. We should probably get rid of the multiplier also then.

Hmmmm. We sure hear about how it's a problem alot.

I am glad you can confirm it is not. We should probably get rid of the multiplier also then.
Who says what is a problem? Fans on this site scared to play in regular season? I understand that.

Regarding York in a “lose-lose” situation for scheduling Naz… obviously York doesn’t seem to agree with who you seem to be hearing. It’s my opinion as well, and is just that - an opinion.

Both sides can continue to argue, but no way local teams are not going to play each other.

Big public school wins - they should win because of numbers
Private school wins - they should because they recruit

Reactions: stl705
Who says what is a problem? Fans on this site scared to play in regular season? I understand that.

Regarding York in a “lose-lose” situation for scheduling Naz… obviously York doesn’t seem to agree with who you seem to be hearing. It’s my opinion as well, and is just that - an opinion.
I was joking. People say privates poach from local publics. You downplayed it.

IDC who York schedules. They appear on Nazareth's, that's what matters.

Reactions: stl705
Can anyone explain the recent success at York?
Coaching is terrific, assuming talent was always there, just now staying in district. Nazareth never had any Elmhurst FB players, assume they went to IC. Montini and Driscoll back when.

Hats off to the Dukes. They rolled the Runners up.

I will admit I am shocked by the result. Not surprised York won but the margin is impressive. Nazareth was in the 7A final before Covid reset the success factor. York will two strong wins to start the season and seems like the floor is a return to the semifinals in 8A.

HS football is a coaches game and Naz isn’t even in the same universe as York. Complete and total embarrassment.

• Haha
Reactions: Irish LB
As I said before this roster is not your Naz roster of recent years and the team speed has significantly declined since the years of JJ, the Loves and the rest.
They seem to have a handful of really nice players, but then a significant drop off in talent after those studs. Not the talent across the board like in past years

You are in Lion country. Right down the street from ogden school.
Lolololol at LT claiming territory. Maybe the parents buy real estate, but please at the school having any claim to the area.

Church League basketball teams have had more respect in the area than LT athletics.

• Haha
Reactions: RD_Watcher
HS football is a coaches game and Naz isn’t even in the same universe as York. Complete and total embarrassment.

Are you inferring Racki is a bad coach? I'll hang up and listen.

Tim Racki has racked up four championships in the last ten years. And I think he got three more at Driscoll. Guy can coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Racki applied for the LT job and they wouldn't interview him
Sounds like the decision maker must have been a bit of a moron. This Racki guy has been in 6 state championships over the last nine years, 2 in 5a, 2 in 6a and 2 in 7a, Would have been in 7 state championships if JB did not pull the plug in 2020 with the team that was coming back. Not a terrible track record. Given this influx of hardware, I am told that Naz had to expand the football trophy case. Lyons Township High School does not even have a football trophy case. No need for one. Maybe if Racki applies again, you can put in a good word, since you sound like someone whose opinion is valued

Sounds like the decision maker must have been a bit of a moron. This Racki guy has been in 6 state championships over the last nine years, 2 in 5a, 2 in 6a and 2 in 7a, Would have been in 7 state championships if JB did not pull the plug in 2020 with the team that was coming back. Not a terrible track record. Given this influx of hardware, I am told that Naz had to expand the football trophy case. Lyons Township High School does not even have a football trophy case. No need for one. Maybe if Racki applies again, you can put in a good word, since you sound like someone whose opinion is valued
The track record of private school coaches to publics isn't great.

The ones I can think of usually stay and retire with their original team or move to another private school.

JCA, Montini, MC, SHG, Racki.

How do you think Rochester's Leonard would do at a CCL school? He seems to be the hottest public school coach out there right now.

Funny once I was at Lake Lawn Lodge in Delavan WI and saw a group of famous retired IHSA Head Coaches all hanging out together. Maybe it was a golf fundraiser?

Last edited:
Reactions: epicbret
Dan Sharp at Minooka

993-94 2 7 Dan Sharp
1994-95 4A Q 6 4 Dan Sharp
1995-96 4A Q 6 4 Dan Sharp
1996-97 4A Q 10 3 Dan Sharp

Really guys!
LWE coach Z. Never missed the playoffs.
Total of 3 State Championship in 8A & 7A. I don’t even know how many conference titles. He is definitely In consideration when talking public schools.

Last edited:
Really guys!
LWE coach Z. Never missed the playoffs.
Total of 3 State Championship in 8A & 7A. I don’t even know how many conference titles. He is definitely In consideration when talking public schools.
Was he omitted somewhere here? Or overlooked?

Reactions: Silver Rain
Assuming that to be true, what is the reason, or at least your reason? What is the pay differenential between publics and privates? Does it depend on the coach and the school? Do LWE alums donate to the program for facilities and coaching talent? Do coaches at every school expect a nice bonus to follow a state championship?

Assuming that to be true, what is the reason, or at least your reason? What is the pay differenential between publics and privates? Does it depend on the coach and the school? Do LWE alums donate to the program for facilities and coaching talent? Do coaches at every school expect a nice bonus to follow a state championship?
Biggest reason is able to openly recruit. You more or less work with what you got in the public school system. Though some administrations are more firendly at looking the other way than others. A lot more red tape working in public schools and you typically have to teach a full load of classes at most places. There is no "fundraising" position in the local public schools. Athletic directors typically do not coach either at the bigger schools in the area.

Some Catholic school coaches make much more than then they could in the public school system, but that is not the majority.

We had a very successful private school girls volleyball coach apply for our opening a few years ago. Our Ad told them the job was theirs if they wanted it, but wanted to know what they were gonna do for money since they were not an actual teacher. The coaches response was they figured they could work in the development office... Needless to say they did not end up taking the position at our school.

Biggest reason is able to openly recruit. You more or less work with what you got in the public school system. Though some administrations are more firendly at looking the other way than others. A lot more red tape working in public schools and you typically have to teach a full load of classes at most places. There is no "fundraising" position in the local public schools. Athletic directors typically do not coach either at the bigger schools in the area.

Some Catholic school coaches make much more than then they could in the public school system, but that is not the majority.

We had a very successful private school girls volleyball coach apply for our opening a few years ago. Our Ad told them the job was theirs if they wanted it, but wanted to know what they were gonna do for money since they were not an actual teacher. The coaches response was they figured they could work in the development office... Needless to say they did not end up taking the position at our school.
What Catholic school coach makes more than a public school coach?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT