ADVERTISEMENT

York vs. Naz Week 2

RD_Watcher

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2019
I was told last night York and Naz have agreed to play Week 2.

Interesting matchup, and, IMO, a better deal for Naz as they continue to build into a perennial dominating program akin to the MCs and Loyolas of the area.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
It seems to me certain teams don't schedule these other teams unless they had an unusually great year the year prior.

Get my point!

It seems to me certain teams don't schedule these other teams unless they had an unusually great year the year prior.

Get my point!
I am going with the assumption this game was scheduled prior to last year - before York had a statement season and an 8A Semi-Final run. IC took one look in December and said never mind, no thanks.

This game wasn't scheduled until recently. Both were looking for games online.

I know York is losing their talented QB to graduation. Do they return a lot else?

I know York is losing their talented QB to graduation. Do they return a lot else?
Historically, this rising Junior class has been very good. I think last year was a mix of JRs and SRs on Offense, and a heavy amount of SRs on Defense. The rising Sophomore class was not as talented on the whole as the class before them, but will likely compliment nicely.

That’s… aggressive. I think it’ll be a game, but York has to be the favorite IMO.
Naz has a lot of talent. They have played in big games. Several of the players will have a couple years of varsity experience when the ball is kicked off. York will be replacing a star QB and WR.

Naz by two scores. They return everyone from a state title winning team. The best 5a /6a privates have 8a talent.

Reactions: Alexander32
Naz by two scores. They return everyone from a state title winning team. The best 5a /6a privates have 8a talent.
Not everyone, Justin Taylor and Zach Hayes are big losses. But Racki always has the next man up ready. Naz will be dangerous again led by Malachuk & Kaminski.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
I agree. York has everything to lose - Naz only has upside.
I don’t think York has anything to lose, personally. Even if they go 0-3 against top WSS teams, I think they would have plenty of playoff points to make it in as a 5-4 team.

This game will be another tough matchup to help them come playoffs. If they lose, so what? If they win, so what? Just gives York another good team to compete with and prepare for playoffs.

I don’t think York has anything to lose, personally. Even if they go 0-3 against top WSS teams, I think they would have plenty of playoff points to make it in as a 5-4 team.

This game will be another tough matchup to help them come playoffs. If they lose, so what? If they win, so what? Just gives York another good team to compete with and prepare for playoffs.
Its the losing to schools that can recruit your boundaries. You rarely see Public schools play a Private school who is in competition for the same kids.

Its the losing to schools that can recruit your boundaries. You rarely see Public schools play a Private school who is in competition for the same kids.
I don’t buy it at all. There’s half a dozen local private schools around Elmhurst that can recruit those same kids. I’m not seeing a loss to Naz creating an exodus of a handful of great players.

York offers a heck of a lot as a school, both academically and on the football field competition wise for potential players. Not to mention it offers these benefits at ZERO tuition.

If a state championship is the de-facto #1 reason for enrolling for an athlete/kid, then I don’t think York was even in the running as many of the privates offer a better chance, ie ICCP, St. Francis, Naz, Fenwick; at the lower levels than York does at winning 8A outright.

If we are comparing York vs Naz football wise- they both are going to win games. They both have a great coaching staff. They both have a competitive schedule, and they both have expectations to win multiple games in playoffs. I just don’t buy that a handful of 7th/8th graders will make their HS decision based on Naz vs York game… makes little sense overall to me in the grand scheme of things.

Tell me the last time you remember any of these games. LT vs. Naz, NT vs. Loyola, Montini vs any glenbard, JCA vs. Brook, Provi vs. Lincolnway, StL vs. Reavis. I can go on and on where the public school and close private don't play . IMO its only a lose lose to the Public. The only one I remember is OPRF vs Fenwick in a down year for Fenwick.

I remember for many years hardly any schools would go to Montini and wrestle them at home besides Marmian, Mt Carmel and St Rita.

Montini then started traveling all over the country each weekend with Coach Israel Martinez where they would seek out the top wrestling teams in the nation to wrestle. On any particular weekend they were traveling anywhere in between California to New Jersey.

Tell me the last time you remember any of these games. LT vs. Naz, NT vs. Loyola, Montini vs any glenbard, JCA vs. Brook, Provi vs. Lincolnway, StL vs. Reavis. I can go on and on where the public school and close private don't play . IMO its only a lose lose to the Public. The only one I remember is OPRF vs Fenwick in a down year for Fenwick.
I agree with your point, but NT v. LA happened a few years ago.

Which of those pairings have been on equal footing as football programs? Which of those Publics were expected to win multiple playoff games? Bolingbrook and LWE sure, but this isnt a 2 win Glenbard East or Glenbard South scheduling Montini when they were rolling, that’s apples and oranges comparison to York-Naz example who are both top programs on the field.

Is a family and young athlete that is completely undecided on which school to attend between York and Naz really going to let the deciding factor come down to an individual football game result? If York was a 2-7 type program, then that’s a different story, but they aren’t.

All these schools (York and privates mentioned) offer an excellent opportunity “on the field”. Each has it’s own pros and cons. I think an individual opportunity (ie a QB choosing Naz because their previous starting QB got a full ride to Michigan) is much more a deciding factor than who wins this football game. For all we know Naz beats York and then York winds up in final 4 in 8A while Naz loses round 2 to someone. Then what? Scrap them both and look at ICCP or St. Francis?

St. Francis and ICCP recruit the exact same players, should they run away from each other? Is St. Francis hurting bad recruiting because of a loss to ICCP last year in week 9?

I might be about to step on a landmine, because I don't know the answer.... Is Naz calling LT trying to schedule games?

From an ignorant outsiders perspective, I would think the privates have more to lose. Any athlete looking at LT vs Naz, or York vs IC, etc., knows about the schools. However, I would think the public actually beating the private might sway someone's choice more than the other way around. If Loyola beats (insert just about any public school here), it won't make any news. If they lose....

Reactions: Silver Rain
Recall Naz playing RB pretty regularly up until about 2010, then they stopped. Wonder why…
Well stopped from about 2004-2010 I think mainly because of the 9 game escc schedule. Though maybe a few years before that? Only got revived a couple times after escc opened back up for non-con. When Naz started wiping RB it ended (RB did win the first one though). Did it end when Curtain went over?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT