ADVERTISEMENT

Year of the Semi-finalists

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
In a year which has been described as being full of many good teams, but no great teams - I think this is impressive by the variety of teams which have reached the semi-finals:

1A: Kewanee*, no titles and last playoff win in the 90's hanging with Le-Win, 3 titles and D1 talent. No-trophy Athens giving Mowequa A&M a challenge, who is contending in this millenium again.
2A: Fieldcrest of Minonk, 4-13 in playoff history with 3 of those wins coming in their run in '14, before they hit Newman of Sterling - plus Nashville and St Theresa looking to become regular visitors again.
3A: Princeton almost upsetting perennial power Byron and semi-regular threat Williamsville almost stunned by QND.
4A: Oft-bridesmaid Coal City blanked by RB while Murphysboro, 2nd semi ever, beats basketball-centric Effingham in OT.
5A: Has newbie Rita playing at their weight against regulars Boylan to take on the public school public schools hate, Rochester, who barely gets by Mascoutah, last hoisting a trophy in the VonderLinden era.
6A: Had Deerfield - Deerfield! - playing football after the leaves fell against one (almost two!) loss Prairie Ridge for the right to get windburn from the Flyers, who beat Glenwood a team clearly unfamiliar with the Victory Formation.
7A: Had Willowbrook - feeling like the 70's - and the Meadows, one semi, but not with their NFL qb - falling to regulars Naz and MC.
8A: Even they have Warren, who never won more than 2 playoff games in a season, with regulars Rice, Marist and LWE.

All in all, a very good year for good teams.

*Edit: Kewanee (pop. 12,916) is home to both the Kewanee Boilermakers (enrollment 557.5), and the Kewanee-Wethersfield Flying Geese (183.5).

Last edited:
In a year which has been described as being full of many good teams, but no great teams - I think this is impressive by the variety of teams which have reached the semi-finals:

1A: Kewanee, no titles and last playoff win in the 90's hanging with Le-Win, 3 titles and D1 talent. No-trophy Athens giving Mowequa A&M a challenge, who is contending in this millenium again.
2A: Fieldcrest of Minonk, 4-13 in playoff history with 3 of those wins coming in their run in '14, before they hit Newman of Sterling - plus Nashville and St Theresa looking to become regular visitors again.
3A: Princeton almost upsetting perennial power Byron and semi-regular threat Williamsville almost stunned by QND.
4A: Oft-bridesmaid Coal City blanked by RB while Murphysboro, 2nd semi ever, beats basketball-centric Effingham in OT.
5A: Has newbie Rita playing at their weight against regulars Boylan to take on the public school public schools hate, Rochester, who barely gets by Mascoutah, last hoisting a trophy in the VonderLinden era.
6A: Had Deerfield - Deerfield! - playing football after the leaves fell against one (almost two!) loss Prairie Ridge for the right to get windburn from the Flyers, who beat Glenwood a team clearly unfamiliar with the Victory Formation.
7A: Had Willowbrook - feeling like the 70's - and the Meadows, one semi, but not with their NFL qb - falling to regulars Naz and MC.
8A: Even they have Warren, who never won more than 2 playoff games in a season, with regulars Rice, Marist and LWE.

Why do public schools hate Rochester?

I read on another board there was something supposedly fishy with move-ins/transfers a few years back although I don't know what the outcome was so I can't comment on it further. Some have also griped that they should petition up.
Thanks

I read on another board there was something supposedly fishy with move-ins/transfers a few years back although I don't know what the outcome was so I can't comment on it further. Some have also griped that they should petition up.

Why do west suburbanites hate Benet?

1A: Kewanee, no titles and last playoff win in the 90's hanging with Le-Win, 3 titles and D1 talent. No-trophy Athens giving Mowequa A&M a challenge, who is contending in this millenium again.

Kewanee Wethersfield made back-to-back trips to the 2A semifinals in 2015 and 2016.

Reactions: ignazio

2014 Williamsville was 3A runner up led by 3 sophomore skill kids. Following year two of those players (twin brothers) transferred to Rochester. I don’t think anything fishy was going on, but was definitely a high profile transfer.

1A: Kewanee*, no titles and last playoff win in the 90's hanging with Le-Win, 3 titles and D1 talent. No-trophy Athens giving Mowequa A&M a challenge, who is contending in this millenium again.

*Edit: Kewanee (pop. 12,916) is home to both the Kewanee Boilermakers (enrollment 557.5), and the Kewanee-Wethersfield Flying Geese (183.5).
Glenwood has only missed the playoffs once in the last 22 years. Won the state championship in 1998 and finished second in 2010. Pretty sure they know the victory formation.

Glenwood has only missed the playoffs once in the last 22 years. Pretty sure they know the victory formation.

Ask Providence about that victory formation. Nothing like calling a timeout up 21 to throw a bomb for a TD with 4 seconds left on the clock.

Reactions: Gene K.
Why do west suburbanites hate Benet?

There are some great people that go there but there is very large population that have “we’re better then you attitude.” It’s fun to beat the hell out of them and knock them down a notch.

If you have no affiliation with Mt Carmel, why in the world did you choose "CaravanMan"? Is there a moniker shortage?
Because I drive a Dodge Caravan and I'm a man so in my pea-sized brain it made sense at the time. When we create an account here, we're given the option to choose a unique screen name provided it is not currently taken. Mine was not at the time. Shocked, I know. Hopefully that pacifies you.

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT