ADVERTISEMENT

TRAC Week 1 preview

jotapepe

Jul 20, 2021
And now onto the TRAC! Same deal as my WB6 preview, though first a discussion about the conference realignment likely to come next year. Bureau Valley and Morrison are leaving the conference, with Mercer County joining. That would ostensibly leave seven teams in the West ("Rock") division and five in the East ("Mississipi") division, so someone will have to move from west to east. The simplest answer there is Erie-Prophetstown, though it would leave hem without their next-door rivalry of Riverdale and one would hope they could find a way to protect that game. Anyway, on with the show, starting in the east.

Kewanee - at Sherrard, vs. E-P, vs. Mendota, at Bureau Valley, vs. Hall, at Princeton, at Monmouth-Roseville, vs. Newman, vs. Aurora Central Catholic
Tough draw for the Boilers, who start the year at an invigorated Sherrard group and get a difficult four-game stretch from weeks 5-8. Just as well, as they return a lot of starters from a 4-5 team that was 9-2 in 2021 and they look like they've got a shot to do some big things. They have a reasonable shot at the playoffs, possibly more likely than not, as 7-2 or even 8-1 doesn't look impossible, but if they get some bad momentum things could go south in a big hurry.

Bureau Valley - at E-P, vs. Monmouth-Roseville, at Hall, vs. Kewanee, vs. Mendota, at Newman, vs. Princeton, vs. Aurora Central Catholic, at Morrison
I think the writing may be on the wall for BV, who went 1-8 last year and is now going to leave for the Lincoln Trail next year. I have a lot of respect for this program but I do not see the Storm making huge improvements. The trip to the playoffs would probably need to involve several teams on their schedule performing well below expectations.

Mendota - at Morrison, vs. Orion, at Kewanee, vs. Hall, at Bureau Valley, vs. Riverdale, at Geneseo, at Princeton, vs. Newman
Is this the Trojans' year to make a jump? That is a rough last three games, and thre is a lot of youth, but I think I see improvements on the radar for Mendota. The path to the payoffs will require some luck, as going to Geneseo and Princeton in consecutive weeks is a painful process. They'd probably need to upset two of Kewanee, Hall, and Newman, but it all seems possible.

Princeton - at Monmouth-Roseville, vs. Morrison, at Newman, at Orion, vs. Sterling, vs. Kewanee, at Bureau Valley, vs. Mendota, vs. Hall
Princeton's last year was magical, and they graduated a ton of talent, but this is a program with bona fides, and they have every chance to repeat their TRAC dominance. Having four of their last five at home (and the other of those in the county) will ease the difficulties of consecutive games against Sterling and Kewanee. The path to the playoffs for the Tigers feels almost certain, and I give them a good shot against Sterling.

Hall - at Orion, vs. Riverdale, vs. Bureau Valley, at Mendota, at Kewanee, vs. IVC, at Newman, vs. Rockridge, at Princeton
Hall's co-op with Putnam County paid immediate dividends, getting the Red Devils back to the playoffs (where they were rudely shown the door by state champions SHG). This edition of this team, keeping the co-op, looks like they could be very good again. Their path to the playoffs will need to be paved early, as the last three games would challenge any team in the state, but I feel like Hall will make it.

Newman - at Rockridge, vs. Sherrard, vs. Princeton, at Rock Island, at E-P, vs. Bureau Valley, vs. Hall, at Kewanee, at Mendota
This was a team that faced some adversity last year, and their low enrollment showed as they slumped to a disappointing (for the Comets) 5-5 record. This year they will be back in 1A. They graduated some kids, but again this is a program that will always produce. The question for this year will be character, as that 4-game stretch to start the year includes four very difficult games and they'll need to find wins later in the year to get into the playoffs. (And then hopefully avoid the NUIC in the north half of the bracket!)

And now with the west.
Erie-Prophetstown - vs. Bureau Valley, at Kewanee, at Monmouth-Roseville, vs. Morrison, vs. Newman, at Orion, at Riverdale, vs. Sherrard, at Rockridge
The Panthers are still reeling from losing what amounted to a playoff game in Week 9 last year at Morrison. They've switched around coaches (their HFC and an assistant traded roles), which will hopefully allow them to produce more. Thankfully for them, they avoid Princeton and Hall, and will be able to minimize their trips on the season. The path to the playoffs is absolutely helped by their crossover opponents, but they'll need to scratch and claw for five wins.

Monmouth-Roseville - vs. Princeton, at Bureau Valley, vs. E-P, at Riverdale, vs. Morrison, at Rockridge, vs. Kewanee, at Orion, at Sherrard
This team always feels to me like they should be better than they end up being. Again, I see no reason that they shouldn't be quite good this year, but the schedule does them no favors, as their trip to the playoffs will need to rebound from a game against Princeton to start and a very rough five-week stretch at the end.

Morrison - vs. Mendota, at Princeton, vs. Orion, at E-P, at Monmouth-Roseville, vs. Sherrard, vs. Rockridge, at Riverdale, vs. Bureau Valley
So this is the swan song for the Mustangs in the TRAC, and it's shaping up to be good. This young team rallied at the end of the year to get to the playoffs and they are riding a serious high to start this season. Their path to the playoffs will basically require them to beat the teams they should beat, but they have most of their tough games at home, and I feel strongly about them.

Orion - vs. Hall, at Mendota, at Morrison, vs. Princeton, at Rockridge, vs. E-P, at Sherrard, vs. Monmouth-Roseville, vs. Riverdale
Orion was a young team last year and it felt like the Chargers failed to live up to their potential. Hard to tell what will happen this year but anything from 3-6 wins seems appropriate. The playoff path seems there - 7-2 is by no means out of the question - but it will mean getting serious improvement from a lot of players.

Riverdale - vs. Dupo, at Hall, at Rockridge, vs. Monmouth-Roseville, vs. Sherrard, at Mendota, vs. E-P, vs. Morrison, at Orion
The Rams are just happy to be back after not playing last season. Maybe the JV year will allow them to fix the issues that plagued them. Maybe not, but after Dupo, the schedule sure gets tough quickly. A playoff birth seems pretty far-fetched, but even a win or two will make the fans between Hillsdale and Port Byron very happy.

Sherrard - vs. Kewanee, at Newman, at Warrensburg-Latham, vs. Rockridge, at Riverdale, at Morrison, vs. Orion, at E-P, vs. Monmouth-Roseville
Do I have any real reason to say that this team will improve? No. But the Tigers seem to have some momentum and I just feel like good things are brewing out here. A trip to the playoffs is tough to see but I suspect that these boys get a few wins under their belts.

Rockridge - vs. Newman, at Ridgeview/Lexington, vs. Riverdale, at Sherrard, vs. Orion, vs. Monmouth-Roseville, at Morrison, at Hall, vs. E-P
And now the defending champs of this division. This program just continues to go from strength to strength, and the athletes out on the west side of Rock Island County keep coming. A playoff spot isn't inevitable if they fall off - all three nonconference games are tough - but I think these boys will be just fine.

Now Week 1 previews!
Newman at Rockridge - this is a sneaky-long drive for Newman. I know it's a new season, but I suspect Rockridge has just too much firepower. Comets normally beat Rockets; I suspect not this time.

Kewanee at Sherrard - I really want to pick Sherrard, I really do, and I think they will improve, but not yet. Kewanee in a close game.

Dupo at Riverdale - A very long trip for Dupo is the start of a tough stretch for them; I think Riverdale celebrates their first game back with a win on Saturday.

Hall at Orion - This is tough. On paper, Hall should be better, but I think that they are going to have some growing pains replacing Mac Resetich, while Orion knows who they are and may be better at home.

Mendota at Morrison - Another tough game. Based purely on momentum and vibes, Morrison at home.

Princeton at Monmouth-Roseville - the matchup of the big boys. Monmouth-Roseville may well be a good team, but right now I have to pick Princeton until someone beats them and I do not think this is the week.

Bureau Valley at Erie-Prophetstown - I don't know how good E-P will be this year, but I suspect the Panthers can find their way past the Storm.

Rockridge over Newman as they just have more horses.
Kewanee over Sherrard in a gritty game.
Riverdale over Dupo. Rams nation will be hungry to have varsity ball again.
Orion over Hall as Hall has to figure out who that guy is going to be this year.
Morrison over Mendota in a track meet.
Princeton over Monmouth-Roseville as the Tigers are the team to beat til proven otherwise.
EP over BV in a sloppy game.

As with all things that come with Life in the TRAC, surprises are sure to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT