ADVERTISEMENT

Worn out sports terms...

I appreciate your congratulations. But it has no cash value. I don't care if I win or lose an argument. I doubt you do either. I mean, what do we win? Show me the money and then I'll really argue to win. :)
Kind of wondering why you go out of your way to question whether I’ve watched a Sox broadcast or even played the game based on something you and I hear differently. You must be a pleasure to live with. But at least I now know who to turn to when I need Hawk expertise.

"Ballin", "Baller" He's just a baller! He was ballin out there!

Tell us why you don't like the guy who just won the Ford Frick award and is going to be inducted into the HOF.

Two reasons - First, he was incredibly corny and trite. True, others may be as well, and I don't like them, either. Secondly, and most importantly,he was an outrageous whiner. Whenever a close call went against the Sox, he'd whine that the umps were prejudiced against us. But worse, he whined incessantly about the Cubs. It got so bad that he actually said that the Cubs enjoyed better weather than the Sox. Good riddance.

Reactions: PowerI66
Kind of wondering why you go out of your way to question whether I’ve watched a Sox broadcast or even played the game based on something you and I hear differently. You must be a pleasure to live with. But at least I now know who to turn to when I need Hawk expertise.
Seriously, I have to explain that to you? I'll take your second point first. Anyone who played the game at pretty much any level knows what the phrase "hang with em."
Two reasons - First, he was incredibly corny and trite. True, others may be as well, and I don't like them, either. Secondly, and most importantly,he was an outrageous whiner. Whenever a close call went against the Sox, he'd whine that the umps were prejudiced against us. But worse, he whined incessantly about the Cubs. It got so bad that he actually said that the Cubs enjoyed better weather than the Sox. Good riddance.
I can't say I disagree with most of what you say...especially the whining. I feel his crying and whining was at its worst during the Robin Ventura years as manager. It got to the point where I couldn't even watch a game. It was bad. But, I do think he did much less of it in the last two seasons he worked. Especially the last. I could listen to him then. I also couldn't figure out what he hoped to gain by saying he would never go to Wrigley Field again. All the broadcasters who work or worked there knew accommodations were tight. I don't recall any of them complaining as much as Hawk did. I think Hawk was jealous at the fact the Cubs were the number 1 baseball team in Chicago. Like them or not.

My dad couldn't stand him. I don't think he is very happy Hawk is in the HOF. But, I haven't talked to him about it yet. He rarely cusses, but that subject will bring out a few choice words. My post to you was done in sarcasm. I didn't care for Hawk's hubris when he talked about being a player. That was something I think my dad hated most. My dad would say, "the way that guy talks about himself in his playing days, you'd think he was Mickey Mantle. What the hell did he do? The guy had 700 career hits and acts like he belongs in the baseball HOF." It is actually funny to hear my dad say that.

I think Hawk was a far better broadcaster when he was with Tom Paciorek. They had good chemistry together. And Paciorek is very underrated. But I think Hawk was at his best when he was with Don Drysdale as an analyst with Drysdale doing the play-by-play. It's too bad it didn't last longer than it did. Hawk had someone in the booth in those days who he respected more than himself and Drysdale was clearly the better broadcaster.

It is an opinion as to whether people think he belongs in the HOF as a broadcaster.

My older son liked Hawk. But he was a kid growing up listening to Hawk much like I was growing up listening to Jack Brickhouse. Brickhouse was very corny too and he openly rooted for the Cubs. When my older brother and I were in our 20s and 30s we would talk about the past and Brickhouse and mock his sayings too with laughter. We would mention, the baseball "headlines" being made at Wrigley, or JB saying"he's a good little guy!!" or when it was a tight situation and we'd hear "watch it." and of course his laugh hahahaaaaa. Yeah, Brickhouse was corny too, but I liked him.

"The game of basketball"
"The game of baseball"
"The game of golf"
On and on thank you Michael Jordan.

I don’t recall a drunk Hawk trying to say player’s names backwards. I do remember a Cubs game when the Reds Dave Collins came to the plate and Harry called him Tom Collins.
I was watching that game my freshman year in the dorms. he followed it up with 'Tom Collins, you know where my mind is'

Reactions: greatgig13
I was watching that game my freshman year in the dorms. he followed it up with 'Tom Collins, you know where my mind is'
Yes, it got real hard to watch Harry in the last couple seasons. I saw a game when he called Ryne Sandberg, Ryne Sanderson. Not good.

When announcers give misleading comment of "how tired or worn out" a college football player is during competition. These are 18-22 young men in the prime of their life.

Reactions: Gene K.
When announcers give misleading comment of "how tired or worn out" a college football player is during competition. These are 18-22 young men in the prime of their life.
Not sure if I understand, 18-22 year olds can’t get tired?

Reactions: Chief321
Moving forward - Just say "in the future" or "next season."

Running backs running "downhill." Is the player starting on some type of ramp?

And "culture." Unless a team or program is creating its own brand of yogurt, please leave culture for another word.

Culture Culture Culture!!
A Culture does not mean anything in terms of winning, losing. Every team has a culture. Ohio State has a culture of guys leaving school early, guys at times getting involved in legal matters, guys getting in school with marginal academics, guys talking smack to opponents over the years but they Win and Win Big! Other schools have cultures of graduating players, being respectful, etc. but Lose on the field. Its such a ridiculous term

Culture Culture Culture!!
A Culture does not mean anything in terms of winning, losing. Every team has a culture. Ohio State has a culture of guys leaving school early, guys at times getting involved in legal matters, guys getting in school with marginal academics, guys talking smack to opponents over the years but they Win and Win Big! Other schools have cultures of graduating players, being respectful, etc. but Lose on the field. Its such a ridiculous term
Truth. Just to use Ohio State as an example, Urban Meyer is one of the best football coaches ever. He has won everywhere he’s been. Yet his team and coaching staff are routinely filled with scumbags.

Truth. Just to use Ohio State as an example, Urban Meyer is one of the best football coaches ever. He has won everywhere he’s been. Yet his team and coaching staff are routinely filled with scumbags.
Culture as an allusion to a bunch of boy scouts is overused. But I think without a doubt consistent winning organizations create a culture. At the college level especially you can probably argue winning culture is bad in almost every instance, but there is a culture.

I’m curious as to the backlash against “culture” as a sports term. I get that “winning culture” may produce bad examples (Urban Meyer) but it could have good examples too. Mark Few has been at Gonzaga since 1999, in the 21 years he has been there they have made the NCAA tournament every season and they have gone from a mid major Cinderella to a perennial top 10 team in the country. Some of that must be due to the culture he has created there through standards and expectations for those involved in the program.

Reactions: PowerI66
I’m curious as to the backlash against “culture” as a sports term. I get that “winning culture” may produce bad examples (Urban Meyer) but it could have good examples too. Mark Few has been at Gonzaga since 1999, in the 21 years he has been there they have made the NCAA tournament every season and they have gone from a mid major Cinderella to a perennial top 10 team in the country. Some of that must be due to the culture he has created there through standards and expectations for those involved in the program.
I’m guessing that if you do enough digging, you’ll find some skeletons in Gonzaga’s closet.

I’m guessing that if you do enough digging, you’ll find some skeletons in Gonzaga’s closet.
It’s been 21 years and no one has really found much but that really isn’t the point. What I was wondering is what would you term the atmosphere around a consistently successful program (hs, NCAA, pros)? There is definitely a different feeling around successful programs and if it’s not the culture that’s instilled and developed there then what is a good term to use to describe the difference between a consistently good program and a consistently mediocre to bad program? I used Gonzaga because they weren’t really anything special before Mark Few got there, and now they are a consistently good program.

Reactions: Gene K.

Because people throw around the word culture like it is some magic potion that we do things the "right" way or that the previous regime did it the "wrong" way.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/04/college-basketball-coaches-culture-video

Meyer was a scumbag all the way back to his Illinois State days.

Meyer was a scumbag all the way back to his Illinois State days.
Then, why do these schools hire him if they "supposedly" want to keep an image of integrity? Seems to me they are the ones selling their integrity to field a winning team. But most importantly, to bring in millions of $$$.

Then, why do these schools hire him if they "supposedly" want to keep an image of integrity? Seems to me they are the ones selling their integrity to field a winning team. But most importantly, to bring in millions of $$$.
You answered your own question.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT