ADVERTISEMENT

Worn out sports terms...

redmen85

Dec 17, 2014
Mine is currently 'grinding'
It seems like everyone is 'grinding' today.
It gives a negative sense to what you are doing. Is it really a grind?
Don't you like what it is that you are doing?
Please post yours.

Own-the-fourth-quarter.png

I hate when someone says “The Tom Brady’s, The Eli Manning’s, etc of the world.” There’s only one of each, not multiple.

1. "phsyicality" - just in general in how used
2. "differential" - in a game where UMASS leads Georgetown by a score of 62-57 for example; 5 points is the difference, not differential - or maybe it is (I was not an English major) but I find the use of "differential" very annoying

1. "phsyicality" - just in general in how used
2. "differential" - in a game where UMASS leads Georgetown by a score of 62-57 for example; 5 points is the difference, not differential - or maybe it is (I was not an English major) but I find the use of "differential" very annoying

You're dead right on both!

basketball: "old fashioned three-point play". the three pointer came into the high school and college game over 30 years ago, so THOSE three point plays are also "old fashioned".

and i'm sure i use the term myself, but i'm trying to break the habit.

Baseball
"He has all the tools." Who the hell doesn't have the tools if they are up in the bigs?
"Can of corn." Yeah, that one was meaningful around 100 years ago.

Basketball
"We (or they) had good energy out there tonight." Phil Jackson used to say that...way too much.

Correction. It is "hang with-em" not "hang whoop- em." Personally, I think it's "hang woof em."
Did you ever actually ever listen to a broadcast or play that game? Whenever you hit a ball hard, but it was an out, guys on the bench would come up to you and say, "hang with-em." That's the correct term. that "dictionary" you speak of wasn't written by the Hawk. And "hang whoop em" was never said by Harrelson.

Look under catch phrases in the second paragraph.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Harrelson

Did you ever actually ever listen to a broadcast or play that game? Whenever you hit a ball hard, but it was an out, guys on the bench would come up to you and say, "hang with-em." That's the correct term. that "dictionary" you speak of wasn't written by the Hawk. And "hang whoop em" was never said by Harrelson.

Look under catch phrases in the second paragraph.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Harrelson
I’ve listened to many broadcasts and repeated what the guy said. And yes I played the game. But if you want to be right and have the last word go for it.

At least Hawk had the humility to retire before becoming a slobbering, dottering, and often embarrassing statue in the booth.
I don’t recall a drunk Hawk trying to say player’s names backwards. I do remember a Cubs game when the Reds Dave Collins came to the plate and Harry called him Tom Collins.

I don’t recall a drunk Hawk trying to say player’s names backwards. I do remember a Cubs game when the Reds Dave Collins came to the plate and Harry called him Tom Collins.
If only Hawk slurred his way through Take Me Out to the Ballgame he’d have a statue.

"Football" used when not referring to the ball. "Football" "Football" "Football"
  • Opposing coach or announcer referring to the opponent: "They are a very good Football team" instead of "they are a very good team." We know the opponent is a Football team.
  • Coach or announcer stating: "We/They played/will play good Football." What else are they playing?
  • Coach or announcer saying: "He is a really good Football player." We know that Football is the sport the guy is playing.
  • Coach or announcer: "That was a good Football play." ......

I’ve listened to many broadcasts and repeated what the guy said. And yes I played the game. But if you want to be right and have the last word go for it.
It is not a matter of me being right I care about. The saying I put here is correct and yours isn't. Nothing more or less. I guess I'll have to explain further to you.

Television announcers who don't know the rules, and I don't know who is worse baseball or basketball.

Reactions: Quags57
Congratulations
I appreciate your congratulations. But it has no cash value. I don't care if I win or lose an argument. I doubt you do either. I mean, what do we win? Show me the money and then I'll really argue to win. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT