ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the best Illinois team you've seen this season?

I haven't seen NV. I have seen LA twice. They might have a chance at ESTL, but I doubt it.
NV is just my metaphor for you can't look at a team and assume they'll walk over everyone. Everyone thought exactly the same thing in 2019 then NV monkey wrenched that notion.

Ahhh, yes. Maybe I’m thinking the previous year. I was just feeling a bit feisty this morning and felt like mixing it up a bit. didn’t they lose to HF in ‘19 in the 2nd round?
Yes. Both the ESL and HF game support what I'm saying. They were neck and neck with ESL despite all the same rhetoric that we're seeing today. Then NV started getting similar treatment based on being neck and neck with ESL and we learned that NV was good, but just another team I'm 8A.

LWE had that type of hype in 2018, I think you know what happened there.

Loyola had that type of hype in 2016, I think you know what happened there too.

Now granted this ESL team had a good showing against Bosco. I still think it has to be proven on the field.

Reactions: Bowie50
I'm surprised nobody has brought up Cary-Grove. They seem to be destroying everybody. Maybe it's because they are in 6A with ESTL? I do remember what ESTL did to PR in the second half a couple of years ago. I'm betting C-A suffers the same fate, if they make it that far.

I'm surprised nobody has brought up Cary-Grove. They seem to be destroying everybody. Maybe it's because they are in 6A with ESTL? I do remember what ESTL did to PR in the second half a couple of years ago. I'm betting C-A suffers the same fate, if they make it that far.
I got nothing… CG is more diverse than that PR team but it’s not enough.

Reactions: McEvergreen
Outside of few people, I don't think many of us have seen CG play.

Reactions: McEvergreen
6 flags defense, Hollywoods QB, MS DL Teddy and Etown Cheeks.

I got nothing… CG is more diverse than that PR team but it’s not enough.
we will see, Both have to get there, but if I were a betting man, I would bet on that final. Also depends on how the N vs S falls, if ST IG goes north, that would be a heck of a game, CG Vs ST IG in the semi's.

I would say this, this is a best, most explosive, and diverse CG offense than they have had since I have followed them, which goes back to at least the 1st State championship team, and probably since their playoff streak started in 2004.

I don’t disagree about this being not only their most explosive offense but also most diverse with their first real deep threat QB. They have many weapons and speed but they also have a small line which will be challenged the deeper they go. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

I don’t disagree about this being not only their most explosive offense but also most diverse with their first real deep threat QB. They have many weapons and speed but they also have a small line which will be challenged the deeper they go. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Big lines are the most overrated thing ever in high school especially with a team like CG where having a mobile OL allows them more flexibility in their blocking schemes.

Reactions: msuyko and atrain97
Agreed, their scheme doesn't need to drive people off the ball. they play low and fast and screen people and get to the second level. Also, do they have any big D! lineman, like Trevor Ruhland, or Addison West? No, but they have 5-7 kids that play fast and low, are thick and strong, and play with a mean streak. They have all found their IDP ( Inner Dirt Bag ) The 5 interior linemen probably average out to 225-230, Look at those great PR teams, besides Jenkins, they were not that big. Same with the 2018 CG team, beside West, none of those guys were more than 240. Hell, the split side tackle was 185 pounds, of technique and mean streak.

Reactions: greatgig13
Agreed, their scheme doesn't need to drive people off the ball. they play low and fast and screen people and get to the second level. Also, do they have any big D! lineman, like Trevor Ruhland, or Addison West? No, but they have 5-7 kids that play fast and low, are thick and strong, and play with a mean streak. They have all found their IDP ( Inner Dirt Bag ) The 5 interior linemen probably average out to 225-230, Look at those great PR teams, besides Jenkins, they were not that big. Same with the 2018 CG team, beside West, none of those guys were more than 240. Hell, the split side tackle was 185 pounds, of technique and mean streak.
Dirt? Bag

They reach block, short pull and double to the second level, unless you have special D1 athlete I’ll take a group of 215lbs kids all day.

Reactions: atrain97
They reach block, short pull and double to the second level, unless you have special D1 athlete I’ll take a group of 215lbs kids all day.
And it all makes sense on the offensive side. On defense with a small line they have to get through ESL’s mountainous O line to get at the QB who just has to throw it up for their stud. It’ll be an offense show no doubt. No need speculating at this point anyway. Too many other teams to get through first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT