ADVERTISEMENT

Who has the Best H.S. Field in IL?

CelticPride13

Mar 21, 2010
I was just wondering who had the best home field in Illinois? From atmosphere, seating, home field advantage, and just an overall nice field.. In my opinion it would have to be Gillespie Field (JCA) or Flink Field (Lockport).. I'd have to give the edge to Gillespie Field just a great place to watch a game especially a big rivalry game, its always packed and loud, and also has a lot nicer playing surface than Flink Field. The only downer Gillespie doesn't have is lights like Flink Field and probably could scoot the fences in a tad lol. I know Providence just renovated their field but it just lacks the atmosphere like the other two. And also one of the worst fields for a good program is Minooka, the field is awful!!!

Oswego has a great field and it is one of the few fields that have lights. I wish they played more Friday night games, with a first pitch at 5:30, instead of 4:30. They would get larger crowds and parents would have a little easier time getting there after work.
The schools with lights should play at 7:00 or 7:30, like the other sport teams do in the fall and winter.

Barrington has a great field. The one field that does stand out in my mind is Libertyville. The field is very nice not great, but they have sloped grass rather than warning tracks at the fencs which I always thought was very cool.

i would have to say Barrington as well....although MC has a great facility now(not when i was there however it was Jackson Park) and i heard they are gonna put turf on it eventually

This is not a joke...while sliding back into third base at Jackson Field, I found razor blade about a foot behind the bag...nice.

yes it was awful...thats why we really never had home games in non conference back then at varsity level. we had a game one time and unbenownst to left fielder there was a dead dog in left field as he went for a fly ball

Evans Field in Clinton is a great one. John Hickman has done great things with that field. Lights, great mound, great fence.

You need to get out more.

I can name at least 10 fields that are better in the North and NW burbs

Get out more? LOL....I am a baseball coach and I still stand by MY opinions. I am not saying they are the BEST, but I think they need to be considered.

Please name those 10 fields you feel are better.

Not in any particular order...Barrington, Stevenson, Hersey, Carmel, Lakes, Lake Forest, Prospect, Lake Zurich, Cary Grove, Schaumburg

Just wait til you see Gillespie Field(JCA) PACKED Next Thursday when the Minooka Indians play the Hilltoppers in the 1st round of the WJOL Tourney. Mike Foltynewicz is scheduled to pitch that game vs the defending champs. Its going to be packed and unbelievable atmosphere with every mlb team scout there to see mike pitch vs JCA. I cant wait to see this one, definitely a MUST SEE!!! In my opinion this will be the best game of the tournament and the championship game and maybe even one of the best games of the year and most importantly high 60s they are saying next Thursday also. Edgy will you be at the game???

Quags,

I agree! Those are nice fields, but I would not put most of them ahead of Evanston and a few are better than GBS.

I have not been to a lot of baseball fields, but I like to think that SR has a pretty to field-if you can look past the drug busts that go bad at McDonalds across the fence.

Originally posted by Brin22:
SR has a pretty to field-if you can look past the drug busts that go bad at McDonalds across the fence.

...or the dismembered human body parts found in a trash bag in a dumpster in February.

Suburban kids, listening to rap doesn't make you "gansta". Keep your hands down and don't throw signs out the bus window when coming west on 79th St from the Ryan to SR to see or play in a game.
This post was edited on 3/25 5:22 PM by giaour

Who has the worst field???

I would have to say my alma mater, Guerin Prep. Terrible outfield, right field drops down a a few inches due to the football bleachers sitting on it for 6+ months. No outfield fence in left field. Really there is a fence, but that is to seperate the field from the parking lot and is almost 500+ feet from home plate. A really good shot hit to center field can roll into the parking lot.

I have to give us a big thumbs down for our field.
embarassed.gif

Re: Who has the worst field???

I think the Field at the Loyola Academy Sports complex is pretty top notch. It's pretty hard to say which is the "best". Maybe we should just name the top 10. BTW - The orth 'burbs aren't the only place that has nice ball fields.

Whoever said Gillespie Field is nice is right on with that comment. The Lincoln-Way fields are all also pretty nice. I can't agree with the opinion about Lockport's field - I think it's kinda average. Same with Minooka's field. Just typical HS fields.

Agree about L'port. Nice setting, but the playing surface is terrible. There are a couple of nice fields in the ESCC. As mentioned, JCA has a great field. One of the better playing surfaces. Benet and Naz both have very nice set ups.

Sorry guys. All nice fields mentioned.
No High School field as good as St. Charles North.

No HS Field commpares in Illinois.

Voted and selected "Best HS Baseball Field in US in 2009.

Lwpops

Lockport Kinda average? Lincoln-way nice? You are kidding aren't you? L-w east is a weed infested pasture. Lockport is much nicer then Easts. My opinion Lockport is one of the top in the south land. Along with Crete, Bradley,Rita, Laurence,Reavis,Richards.

I believe that I called all of the LW fields kinda nice - excluding the new one at West because I haven't been on that one yet. As for Lockport, the playing surface isn't the best. I hate the plate area. But as far as HS fields go, it's about par for the course.

The other fields you mention are just above average IMHO.

Yes it was voted best HS field but the atmosphere also needs to be included along with concessions and along with fan turnout.

St Charles North fails miserably in all the intangibles.

You still think East's is kinda nice, there are more weeds then grass on that field. The rest are just above average? Would would you consider way above average. And don't tell me LW

The thread is about the WORST field.
None of the fields you and I have mentioned are near that classification.

When it comes right down to it, I like any field where the batters' boxes aren't tank traps, where the pitchers don't stand in a hole in front of the rubber and where I don't break an ankle going from first to third.

Chill man.
The fact is, for me being on the field, most of the HS don't really stand out.

I was at St. Laurence yesterday. I hadn't realized that they upgraded the field. It was very nice indeed - even in the cold and drizzle, it was a nice experience.
This post was edited on 4/9 2:18 PM by LWPops

Concessions? - Fails Miserably.
Fan Turn-Out? - As much or more parent support as anywhere, Student Body and or Locals - Fails miserably - except when we play SCEast then as good as anywhere.

I still give a weighted factor on the SCN field that gives SCN the best overall experience.

Worst Field? Can't give opinion...

Gillespie Field.. hands down is the best.. JCA has to draw the most fans, students, and locals. and great surface that they just re-sodded and rumor has it they're going to add a brick back stop and red brick around the field. Granted most high school fields have this already, but JC doesn't yet and still their field is tops in the state

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT