ADVERTISEMENT

What team do you miss the most?

IlliniEight4ever

Jun 17, 2022
As football season is nearing what school or schools that no longer have football for whatever reason do you miss? I miss all the ex Illini 8 & Sica schools which no longer have football.To be honest every school which has ever had a team that no longer does is missed.

Last edited:
Weber. Back in the day, played against them and they were tough.
Weber had a great football tradition. Two of MC's most memorable games during my time were against the Red Horde. IOt was a great school that didn't have to close. One of my dearest friends was a Weber grad and a very successful lawyer. He was oe of 30 or so Weber alums asked to put together a plan to save the school. They developed a plan but the goofy order of priests who ran Weber decided to close it and concentrate their efforts on Gordon Tech.

Leo. All my buddies went to Leo. We were from Sacred Heart at 71st & Carpenter, a mile away. In eighth grade, I had to choose between Carmel and Leo. Three uncles and a cousin went to Carmel, which created a dilemma, family or friendship. As a believer in omens, I told myself that the next mention of either school would be a sign. The following morning, Coe Francis, who would go on to be an all-state quarterback at Leo, came into the coat room wearing a brown sweater. "Look, Tim," he said, pointing to the sweater, "Carmel." This was an unmistakable sign. And it's a choice I have never regretted.

Last edited:
Leo. All my buddies went to Leo. We were from Sacred Heart at 71st & Carpenter, a mile away. In eighth grade, I had to choose between Carmel and Leo. Three uncles and a cousin went to Carmel, which created a dilemma, family or friendship. As a believer in omens, I told myself that the next mention of either school would be a sign. The following morning, Coe Francis, who would go on to be an all-state quarterback at Leo, came into the coat room wearing a brown sweater. "Look, Tim," he said, pointing to the sweater, "Carmel." This was an unmistakable sign. And it's a choice I have never regretted.
They’re still officially playing, just a glimmer of the good old days when they were top of the CCL

Leo is still going.They were actually supposed to get Quigley South but $$$$ won out.There were rumors years ago that Leo was supposed to move to either Orland Park or New Lenox

Lincoln Way North under Coach Czart.
If the area kept growing there was going to be Lincoln Way South in Manhattan.I’m sad Rich East closed & even sadder what happened to those areas but glad Rich Township did not get Lincoln Way North like they wanted

Not so much one school, but a conference of schools that has gone away. Midstate in central Illinois. From consolidation and coops, no much left. Lexington, Chenoa, MDR, Woodland, Flanagan.

Good hard nosed, football back in the 80s.

Reactions: IlliniEight4ever
Weber had a great football tradition. Two of MC's most memorable games during my time were against the Red Horde. IOt was a great school that didn't have to close. One of my dearest friends was a Weber grad and a very successful lawyer. He was oe of 30 or so Weber alums asked to put together a plan to save the school. They developed a plan but the goofy order of priests who ran Weber decided to close it and concentrate their efforts on Gordon Tech.
The W on the helmets was ok but the Indian head logo would have been awesome on the helmets of Weber!!! I believe if memory serves me right I was at a Weber game at the end of the road vs St Laurence.I’m pretty sure the Vikings beat them 76-0 & Providence Catholic 77-0 earlier in the year & Gage Park beat them 20-6.Finished losing 21 in a row.Last win was in 96 vs SFDS 8-6 who also struggled

Last edited:
Not so much one school, but a conference of schools that has gone away. Midstate in central Illinois. From consolidation and coops, no much left. Lexington, Chenoa, MDR, Woodland, Flanagan.

Good hard nosed, football back in the 80s.
Was Fairbury/Cropsey (sp) in that mix?

Was Fairbury/Cropsey (sp) in that mix?

Mid State has lost...

Chenoa
Minonk-Dana
Rutland
Flanagan
Cornell
El Paso
Gridley
Fairbury
Cropsey

We now have in the HOI from consolidations...

Flanagan-Cornell
Fieldcrest (Minonk-Dana-Rutland, Wenona, and Toluca)
El Paso-Gridley

We have an Illini Prairie Conference member in...

Prairie Central (Fairbury, Cropsey, Chatsworth, Forest-Strawn-Wing & Chenoa) this merger took place in 1985, while Chenoa was annexed in like 2004.

Reactions: FCHS2019
Mid State has lost...

Chenoa
Minonk-Dana
Rutland
Flanagan
Cornell
El Paso
Gridley
Fairbury
Cropsey

We now have in the HOI from consolidations...

Flanagan-Cornell
Fieldcrest (Minonk-Dana-Rutland, Wenona, and Toluca)
El Paso-Gridley

We have an Illini Prairie Conference member in...

Prairie Central (Fairbury, Cropsey, Chatsworth, Forest-Strawn-Wing & Chenoa) this merger took place in 1985, while Chenoa was annexed in like 2004.
Did you move? 😂

Reactions: guerinfbfan
As football season is nearing what school or schools that no longer have football for whatever reason do you miss? I miss all the ex Illini 8 & Sica schools which no longer have football.To be honest every school which has ever had a team that no longer does is missed.
Catholic High (Joliet Catholic High School)
Joliet East Kingsmen

Streator Woodland was mentioned on here earlier.Was at your playoff win vs them.2 very good teams.You had a awesome running back.You let that game vs Lexington get away from you.
I was a FR LB on that team....his name was Zaid Abdul Aleem

Ready.....Forest View (in Arlington Heights)...power in the 80s. Arlington Heights High School was good as well.

The W on the helmets was ok but the Indian head logo would have been awesome on the helmets of Weber!!! I believe if memory serves me right I was at a Weber game at the end of the road vs St Laurence.I’m pretty sure the Vikings beat them 78-6
I was a FR LB on that team....his name was Zaid Abdul Aleem
You guys were very good & I loved the logo on the helmets!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT